Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Nova Scotia schools are open again June 2 except in Halifax or Sydney. Also schools are safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

apatheticman posted:

Im serious when I ask this.

Do we know why Canadian uptake is so high compared to the rest of the world (well atleast the US)?

My sense is no, though there are a lot of reasonable-sounding guesses. Part of it is, as mentioned, Canada and the UK decided to hold second doses back, so you're comparing different strategies in the middle of their being implemented. And lots of places don't have anywhere near the supply we do.

Maybe it's something intrinsic to Canadians (lol), maybe it's a massive success by public health departments, or maybe you looked at the chart at a peculiar time. We'll see where it shakes out globally in a few months/years.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

apatheticman posted:

Roll up the rim to reconcile

I think we've got a new thread title already! And it continues the theme!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

redbrouw posted:

Let's make fun of truth and reconciliation in the thread title, terrific idea

My apologies. I do not want that in the thread title.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dunno if there's a more appropriate thread for this.

I wouldn't say it's more appropriate, but someone in the long-term finance thread might have an idea. Worth a cross-post.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Manitoba can't afford another quarter person in hospital with VITT, it's a shrewd move.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Something something correlation causation

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Ontario -> Alberta -> Manitoba -> repeat from start

Occasionally Saskatchewan reminds us they exist by doing something truly awful or dumb but then fade back into the bushes like Homer.

Also holy poo poo if I hear one more person cry that I cant bump their vaccine shot up before a bunch of our first shot patients because they have a trip coming up Im going to just walk across the street to the LCBO and finish the rest of my shift crying into a bottle of whisky.

But the nonrefundable tickets were $20 cheaper what would you have me do???

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

folytopo posted:

I think the issue is that generally plant operators get a salary that individual bands can often have a hard time supporting. So even if you train someone they could get a higher paying job in the city.

If that is the issue, pay for training contingent on the operator sticking around for a few years. Or subsidize their salary.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

CPPIB's been loving the dog too. Congrats to AIMCo for providing unmerited relative distinction.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I'm jealous of NVPERS: https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/lawmakers-approve-doubling-size-of-state-pension-plans-investment-team-to-two

quote:

In a memorable 2016 profile, the Wall Street Journal described the average workday and daily trading strategy of Nevada Public Employee Retirement System’s Chief Investment Officer Steve Edmundson: “Do as little as possible, usually nothing.”

“Steve Edmundson has no co-workers, rarely takes meetings and often eats leftovers at his desk,” the story read. “With that dynamic workday, the investment chief for the Nevada Public Employees’ Retirement System is out-earning pension funds that have hundreds on staff.”

Five years later, Edmundson may finally get a co-worker.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

Ah yes, the 'long covid vaccine"

Imagining a 10 foot needle.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Bleck posted:

reading the interminable back and forth between "opening runs the risk of developing more variants" and various responses that can be summarized mostly as "nyehhhh!" and deciding confidently that I should hang myself

It's a pretty dumb reason to oppose loosening restrictions, and there's good ones available. If we're worried about developing new variants then we should be throwing absolutely everything we have into vaccinating the rest of the world.

(Sorry, does that fall under "nyehhhh"?)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I think I gave up on "what about new variants" when I learned that a new variant can develop entirely within one person.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Second dose sounds like a pretty great birthday present to me!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Wasn't the government making a big show of taking in refugees a couple years ago? Why stop now? Open the doors to any Afghans who want in, whether they worked for us or not.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

I don't begrudge the Syrians their good fortune at all, but they were mostly strangers weren't they? These guys had been literally keeping us alive over there for what, 20 years, some of them? They were getting night letters from the taliban when I was there in 06, and now it looks like those 15 years of threats are gonna come true really soon. I don't really wanna think about those men and their families dying to that gaggle of fuckin maniacs but there's not really a gently caress of a lot I can do about it, besides yelling impotently at the ministers and egging on Jenny Kwan of all people to ramp up her attacks

Oh for sure, it's ridiculous that we don't have their backs. USA's doing the same shameful poo poo, maybe there's some "let's be slightly better than the USA" leverage in there?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Winning back from who? The only thing I can think of that was imposed upon Manitoba is closing the USA border. Everything else has been under the authority of the legislature that he leads.

"We're saving ourselves from me!"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

DynamicSloth posted:

https://twitter.com/cbcnewsbc/status/1416745322399870981?s=19

Thank Christ I was starting to get worried by all the flames and death (defund the CBC).

There's someone who writes stuff like this for a local news source and I never get who it's for. Which is fine I guess, not everything has to appeal to me, but nonetheless I wonder.

Maybe it's the "if it reaches even one person who needed it, it was worth it" principle.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 19, 2021

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Madkal posted:

I am feeling rather charitable lately and am wondering what are some good charities to donate to. Nationwide or British Columbia orientated would be good.

JawKnee posted:

food bank

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Goosed it. posted:

Are you sure they aren't doing that? They are tracking all vaccinations and all infections after vaccination to calculate vaccine efficacy. They have all the data to calculate vaccine efficacy after mixed doses. I would assume they are doing this but it's not a formal study because it's just based on their routine administrative data/vaccine surveillance.

Edit: sorry for the double-post.

I'm no scientist but my understanding is this is considerably weaker evidence than a proper study, there's just too many confounding factors. Hopefully it's enough to lift travel restrictions!

We also could've done a study on spreading doses out longer than three weeks, except we said "gently caress it" then too. Honestly, it's great that people are getting vaccinated so soon and so quickly, but we're doing a lovely job in a lot of ways.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

enki42 posted:

except for once in a while when you get an rear end in a top hat astronaut.

Was that embarrassing to anyone outside the Liberal party? I figured nobody gave a poo poo.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Capital Letdown posted:

As I said, sorry for the long post, and feel free to ask questions. I'm in this poo poo every day.

Great post, and if you have any other stories you're able to share then please :justpost:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Gros Tarla posted:

I'm not sure I see the problem here? She's not critiquing the youth for not getting their 2nd dose, but their 1st, has been available to them for a while. The only allusion to the 2nd shot was a generic "get it asap". What am I missing?

Well there's 40 words in the tweet and you seem to have missed most of them, so it's hard to say without pasting the text of the tweet, but I'll have a go: "fully vaccinated" means two shots, "Only [smaller percentage]… much lower than the national percentage of [larger percentage]" communicates dismay at the identified group's performance relative to their peers, "1 dose does not offer enough protection" suggests that the identified group mistakenly believes one shot is sufficient and that correcting that impression will lead them to get their second shot. The problem comes with the added context provided by Femtosecond: that demographic has had only one week of opportunity to get a second shot in BC, but longer in (most of?) the rest of Canada, which seems a more likely explanation of the apparently slow uptake in BC. The criticism in the tweet seems entirely misdirected, though members of the identified age range are no doubt unsurprised by their elders once again absolving themselves for a lack of shared opportunity.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Gros Tarla posted:

Yeah, misread that entirely. Doh.

Easily done! Sorry if I was too snarky, it was just more fun to write it that way.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Goosed it. posted:

Same poo poo on BC and Saskatchewan. BC's cases have tripled in less than 2 weeks (mid thirties a week ago Monday, triple digits yesterday).

All the provinces that rescinded their mask mandates...

My feeling is we can reach enough people with the vaccine to get to herd immunity and it's a bad move to fling the doors wide open before that point. It may require some work taking the vaccine to the remaining willing holdouts, and you can't give up until you've thoroughly exhausted every avenue you can think of.

But suppose we reach that point, where everyone who can/will get vaccinated has done so, and (making up numbers) we got to 80% of the population while we think we need 85% for any hope of herd immunity. What's the appropriate policy? Permanent mask mandate etc. until enough people slowly catch covid that you get over the 85% line? What if it takes a decade? Or do you open 'er up as soon as you figure hospitals won't be overwhelmed, meaning people catch covid faster?

The pandemic ends one way or another. Is there an advantage to drawing it out?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Tippecanoe posted:

I don't really see a good reason to remove mask mandates though. they are so easy to wear and have no drawbacks, I have no idea how this issue became so divisive

I agree 100% and am glad Nova Scotia has kept one in place. Again, I don't think anywhere in Canada has reached the point of giving up, not yet, and it's shameful that some areas are doing it anyway.

Also is it me or has BC has been oddly anti-mask the whole time? Not necessarily the people, but the health authority. My recollection is they dragged their feet the longest on every step of masking, and were quick to drop it. Wonder if some of the "carbon dioxide!!" or similar brain worms asserted themselves.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Goosed it. posted:

Yeah -- it's just not looking good. BC, AB & SK have all had Rts above 1 for a little bit now.

https://twitter.com/DFisman/status/1419015585623646212?s=20

Not a stats person but some of those confidence intervals look ridiculous? Is "Rt 0-4 with 95% confidence" meaningful?

(I know you posted re: AB, BC, SK and those numbers seem more informative.)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Even in our turbofucked housing market you need to show how you'll cover a nontrivial increase in your mortgage's interest rate, but apparently the typical small business owner expects to get away with flat wage growth for eternity?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

prom candy posted:

We are 100% moving into the phase of the pandemic where transmission is seen as somewhat okay, as long as hospitalization and ICU numbers don't spike. Whether it's a good idea to do that while the vaccination campaign is still underway and no vaccine is available for kids under 12 remains to be seen (the answer is "probably not lol")

Have there been other phases of the pandemic? I thought that has been the (pathetic) goal since about five minutes after covid arrived on the continent.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

prom candy posted:

Definitely groups that can't get vaccinated are on their own here though, I don't even know what they're supposed to do.

This is the hosed up part, though I guess they can join the growing masses of people shut out of whole parts of society because we're cheap.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Tsyni posted:

Got my second Pfizer from the northern health vax van. I've been stuck in camp near Fort St. John for weeks and figured I'd have to wait until I was home, but the vax van was open 5-8pm on a Saturday.

That's awesome that they brought it to you. I keep catching myself thinking "well there's drop-in clinics in the city during working hours, why aren't people taking advantage???" and remembering, yeah, that's not actually "available" for everyone.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ARACHTION posted:

“create a classroom culture of mask wearing “

Amazing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Goosed it. posted:

(although BC follows strict droplet protocol for contact tracing which is how you get classes with a case but not close contacts so contact tracing is pretty meh)

I wonder how much bad covid response comes from insisting that we haven't learned anything since like February 2020. "Well some expert once said it's droplets so we're gonna stick with that until the end of time."

(See also: 6 feet.)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ColdBlooded posted:

What's the thought on getting together with a couple of fully vaxxed friends? Would like to play some board games / drink wine with them, likely at my place, but I've been probably overly cautious the last 18 months so I just have no idea what's even smart or stupid at this point.

I imagine this is probably a reasonable thing to do, I fully trust the vaccines and my friends aren't dumbasses, but apparently I need validation from strangers on the internet that this is ok (or that this is a stupid idea).

Go for it.

I'd maybe think twice if anyone lived with someone at higher risk (unvaccinated, elderly, immunocompromised) but if y'all are ok with it then enjoy!

What board games?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ColdBlooded posted:

One of my buddies has a 3 year old, but other than that I imagine all other members of both their households are fully vaccinated. I live alone, so no worries for that on my end. My buddy with the 3 year old seems comfortable with doing this though; maybe that makes him a dumbass - no idea.

One of them got My City which I had never heard of, but it just came out in 2020 and seems interesting. Otherwise maybe looking at Scythe or one of the Eclipse expansions if we don't want to learn how to play something new.

Sounds like you're all set.

And there's a new Knizia game? This internet stranger says you should definitely play My City then. I gotta check that out. (I stopped following board games closely when I found myself buying too many, so now I stay out of it until games make themselves known through other channels.)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

This was a surprisingly interesting panel that's worth checking out, whether or not you're voting in Alberta this fall: https://youtu.be/jPg_QZ2hqz8

Might not be anything new if you're already an expert in equalization payments, but I'm not and I learned some things. Mostly I learned that Alberta's upcoming referendum on the principle of making equalization payments is an even more baffling embarrassment than I realized.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The deification of public health officers was weird at the start of the pandemic, and it has only gotten weirder since.

Shaking my head at people waving the flag for team “statues of people should be taken down” while wearing a shirt of their local chief public health officer.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Booourns posted:

"so-called moderate livelihood fishery"

I thought that was literally the name of the fishery. Like it’s a proper noun. CBC are such cowards.

(I know it’s a cheeky name from a Supreme Court decision, but what does that matter, use the name.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Seems ok to me so long as provinces can continue to require isolation and offer testing. Having recently visited Calgary and Halifax airports, the difference was stark for a domestic flight: Calgary had absolutely nothing, while Halifax didn't let you leave the arrivals area until you showed your twice-vaccinated slip (or had a talk with someone from public health, who took your contact info). If Alberta wants to give no fucks then fine, as long as Nova Scotia can give its fucks.

Also truly impressive how Alberta isn't even trying at the government level. Halifax is a small airport, sure, but their whole setup was like four people, some tables, some signs, and some fencing. It's not that hard! And it scales very easily!