Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Arivia posted:

Random new thread for some reason? Okay

The 2020 canpol thread was only expired by about 6 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Lars Blitzer posted:

Oh yeah, for a relatively brief time they used aluminum wiring instead of copper. It works perfectly fine, as long as the voltage and amperage isn't too high. Then the stuff melts. Same thing with plastic water lines made from polybutenol. That stuff is the precursor of pex and wirsbo, but it gets more brittle with time and UV light can damage it, so all you can do is adapt it to modern water lines. Poly B is easy to identify at least: it's a dull grey. You see that stuff, best leave it to the professionals.

Isn't the other problem with Aluminum wiring that it oxidizes at connections which can increase resistance and thus heat which would lead to that melting scenario? Plus it seems like aluminum work hardens pretty quickly but I don't know if that's an issue as well or not.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

pokeyman posted:

I appreciate the (imo misplaced) optimism that every riding wouldn't be named after a bank.

Now now, at least 20% of them would be named after Rogers telecommunications.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Getting Brain Candy vibes with names like that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUMnR4SnECU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

PittTheElder posted:

LOL I don't understand why people are rushing to log into that, the information it shows in there is pretty crappy, and the non vaccine passport vaccine passport doesn't show up till Sunday.

Maybe they'll have gotten through the line by sunday at this rate

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

pokeyman posted:

Frames had an untimely demise and if browsers kept working on them before giving up they'd be downright amazing.

Don't worry, there's always iframes

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

DaysBefore posted:

People in Halifax are very excited for the upcoming Dennys and I understand IHOP caused quite a stir when it first opened. Just lmao

The only way I can possibly understand why people are pumped for these mediocre international chain joints is that they're so utterly suburban that the idea of going downtown and just walking around to find a good little place is insane. Whereas these American slop factories come with disgustingly large parking lots and easy access to freeways and busy suburban streets.

Downtown and even Bedford had some decent eating options but Sackville is very dire for places to eat for some reason so I can see why people from there would be excited I guess? No idea where those things are though so I dunno.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Interesting, Lich gets bail again despite violating her previous bail conditions

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/tamara-lich-bail-ottawa-july-26-2022-1.6532149

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

DaysBefore posted:

Can't help but notice there was no mention of the restaurant....... hellworld indeed....

Make your own at home https://www.cjhk.ca/2022/08/03/you-could-buy-a-vintage-booth-from-a-nova-scotia-zellers-restaurant/

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

pokeyman posted:

OK we raise pay for and hire more people into the public system, and each premier gets fifty $1 million cheques they can secretly address to anyone they like no questions asked.

Should be doable? Maybe the senate needs involved somehow, as the resident experts in patronage.

This plan can hardly compete when governments are already giving away billion dollar toll highways to their friends for 99 years or whatever

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
This but real:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7eeoteqeuY

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

DaysBefore posted:

Guess it turned out to be a good thing (by which I mean a very bad thing) that NS Health never even opened up the option of a second booster for my age range because by the time we're eligible there might be enough bivalent supply around lmao

Lol yeah they never lowered the age below 50 for a second booster.

Also wtf is this from their bivalent announcement:

quote:

For most people in Nova Scotia, the recommended interval between any COVID-19 vaccine doses after the primary series is 168 days since their last vaccine. People who have become infected with COVID-19 should wait 168 days from their infection before receiving their next dose of COVID-19 vaccine.

If you are over 75 the wait is a mere 120 days to get the new bivalent one otherwise it's 168. And I think they are opening it to only 70 plus now with the age dropping 'in coming weeks'.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

pokeyman posted:

On the plus side, it opened up quick (18+ can book now).

On the minus side, I'm guessing lack of demand (rather than surplus supply) is why.

Crazy, was that opening basically unannounced? I saw doctors on twitter yesterday complaining about all the open appointments and asking why the province hadn't lowered the age yet.

After I saw your post last night I went and booked an appointment for this morning. That's how little uptake there is

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

pokeyman posted:

Officially announced an hour ago. I saw a Tim Bousquet tweet last night. The wording was funny too, "18 and older who live in the community", reminded me of the "and yet you live in a society" comic strip.

Yeah last night someone on Reddit said they updated the text to say 18+ but the booking still had checkboxes that restricted it to people in care homes or with immune deficiencies and such. Later in the evening they fixed that too so it was fully opened. So I guess they were ironing out the kinks last night before officially throwing the doors open today. When I booked last night there were solid availabilities every 5 minutes at the place I booked. When I got there 10 minutes before the appointment time there were several people waiting for their shots and more showing up steadily as I was waiting, so those slots must have been booking up pretty quickly even prior to the official announcement.

At my appointment this morning the doc administering it said they were caught off guard too and had no idea what happened as they suddenly saw all the slots filling up with no explanation. She said she was just happy to be seeing a full clinic though.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Given the popularity of political campaigns making appeals to supporters based on doubling or tripling your donation in the US, I'm guessing they must have numbers showing that it increases donations. I think people want to feel like they are getting the most value for their money and when they see that their own donation is 'worth' more it makes them feel better about making it.

I do see the point that if the government has the money to give, they shouldn't be gating it behind the good will of others. I assume they set aside an amount they are pretty sure will be met so it's not really going to waste.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Aces High posted:

I thought we chose our time for Thanksgiving because when the end of November rolls around everything's covered in snow and lol if you hadn't harvested everything by then.

On this day I am thankful that Thanksgiving in November is something we have kept out of our society, because we sure let Black Friday and all the other hyper-consumer bullshit from the US seep in over the years

We've had one Thanksgiving, yes. But what about second Thanksgiving?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

McGavin posted:

Fewer than 4 percent of the population of B.C. has access to fluoridated water supply through their community.

The British in British Columbia refers to dental hygiene.

Edited to add: If you're wondering, Fort St. John, Prince Rupert, Cranbrook and Terrace are the only communities in British Columbia that add fluoride to their tap water.

Apparently the ease of access and prevalence of floridated tooth paste makes adding it to the water supply a largely pointless expense for the municipality. Or so I've been told by the former manager of the water department of Kamloops.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

McGavin posted:

I am not terminally online, so what's so important about that?

I too had to google it but lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvain_Charlebois

quote:

In 2018, Charlebois became the director of Agri-food Analytics Lab at Dalhousie, after resigning as dean following an investigation into complaints involving harassment and bullying.
In January 2023 Charlebois penned a commentary piece deriding those who steal from supermarkets, opining that an increase in theft forced grocers to raise prices.[12] The piece was met with online backlash, as people accused Charlebois of not caring about those unable to afford food, and commented that Canada's supermarket chains have been reporting record profits.[13][14] Twitter users drew attention to Charlebois's annual salary from Dalhousie University, as well as his acceptance of a $60,000 grant from the Weston Foundation, which is controlled by the owners of Loblaw Companies, Canada's largest grocery retailer.[15][13] In response, Charlebois stated that the Weston money was used to pay graduate students, and denied that Canadian grocers are overcharging.[13][16]

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

DaysBefore posted:

Anyone in Hali use Citywide internet? I've heard their service can be iffy but I would like to not pay Eastlink 130 a month for 15mbps if I can help it lol

I think they just lease lines from Eastlink don't they? So rather than pay eastlink directly you're paying Citywide to pay eastlink.

I don't have first hand experience but when I was using a similar third party provider out west that ran on the Shaw network it was a nightmare if anything went wrong with the connection. Shaw would always prioritize their own customers first plus my provider would get billed by Shaw for doing anything, so they were always super hesitant to open tickets unless they were absolutely certain it was a shaw issue. That meant tons of back and forth with tech support and troubleshooting to make sure it wasn't on my end plus gathering evidence that it was truly a shaw issue.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

infernal machines posted:

It's a completely new design, is there any particular reason to keep him specifically, rather than any of the other things they didn't keep?

I don't think it's a big deal really but he did spur a pretty large movement towards funding cancer research that has raised iirc hundreds of millions of dollars. So it seems like a bright spot in our history that might be worth highlighting moreso than people jumping in a lake or whatever. But there's plenty of statues and other ways he is commemorated so whatever.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I think wood chips actually consume nitrogen while they decay so plants don't do super well growing in them at first but once the initial breakdown is over they are good for fertilization.

We had a bunch of branches chipped up and left it in a pile for a year or two and when I dug into it this year about an inch or two down from the surface it was already well on its way to being converted into nice rich looking soil.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
what's with the sudden appearance of all these Halifax/Maritime goons?

Anyway, all this rain is hopefully making up for the insanely dry winter/sprint we had. Plus we don't have to water our newly planted trees which is nice.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

TheKingofSprings posted:

It would actually be really cool if there was stuff like reusable tide containers that you just filled up in the store

There's a store like that in Halifax (Dartmouth) https://thetareshop.com

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 5, 2023

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

sass menagerie posted:

Does BC Hydro even have any fossil fuel-based plants?

Yes there's at least 2 natural gas plants I know of off hand. One in port moody and one over on the island. I think they are mostly used for backup when demand gets super high or there's a downed line so they can't get power from the big dams up north down to the lower mainland. I suspect they have a few other non-hydro plants around too. But it's quite a low percentage of the overall power they generate.

Edit: 5% from biomass too apparently, but 87% from hydro:

https://www.cer-rec.gc.ca/en/data-a...h-columbia.html

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 19, 2023

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Oxyclean posted:

Alternatives are not the best, from what I understand. Or at least, stuff like portable units with the hoses you stick out windows are fairly inefficient due to the part that gets hot being in the space you want to be cold. A tube an a fan (particularly if that tube is also doubling as the intake) only can do -so much- compared to the hot part just being not where you want it to be cold.

From what I recall heat pumps are a heating/cooling solution that's actually really great outside of the absolute extremes? (But ones that are good for our climate are fairly expensive, and not the kind of thing a renter can get.)

I've got a window unit that basically sits half in, half out, doesn't feel at risk of falling, but I also have a balcony. If we want to ban specific options for cooling apartments, maybe we need to update housing standards so rental units are required to have proper heating AND cooling, whatever solution is going to be the best for that. (lol lmao)

I thought heat pumps were much more efficient for heating than resistive heaters but not really much different than air conditioners for cooling.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Oxyclean posted:

I mean, they work fine enough, it's more just that I watched a big bunch of videos on this stuff (Technology connections on youtube) and they were pretty critical of the portable units from just like, the fact that it's a less efficient design. It absolutely has use cases like yours.

More of like, a response to the implication that they're a great/better alternative to window units? Like if we're all worried about global warming, we probably want the more efficient options.

I might just be misremembering, or the upside is that it can pull double duty with one system if you design it right? (which is not so much better then AC)

Oh for sure. Heat pumps being able to heat and cool is a really nice benefit. Especially if you can use it to forego baseboard heaters or something. But if heating isn't a concern I don't think a heat pump has much in the way of advantages over an A/C unit. The carrier website says that AC and Heat pumps work in a nearly identical way for cooling I think.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Maybe that's also including the 300 square foot studio condos that every new building seems to be full of? I agree it looks old though

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Fornax Disaster posted:

Municipal tax assessment figures maybe?

Interestingly in Nova Scotia they have a law that your house assessment cannot go up more than the rate of inflation. That includes if you sell or give the house to direct family. If you sell the house to someone else then it 'resets' to the market value and then starts ticking up slowly again until the next time it's sold. They do show a second value on the assessment that is supposed to be the "real" value but from the houses I've looked up it seems to be much much lower than the actual sale prices in the area.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

DaysBefore posted:

That assessment law is cheating the HRM out of like a hundred millie in tax revenue a year (10% of the city budget). At least

https://deny.substack.com/p/the-per...t-daily-july-17

Benefits the rich and upper middle class however so it will never be fixed. Province is more likely to make renting an apartment legally treasonous than fix this

Wow I didn't know it applies to landlords/investment properties. That's especially insane.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah there's been a lot of that. Old churches especially. Yuppies have buying up the cute old wooden churches out in the counties and turning them into cafes or restaurants or homes. Though in the last few months I heard about a bunch of the business ones closing up lol (not a mean lol)

The halcyon days of WFH may be over but just Jan - April this year saw about 4000 people move here from Ontario so they must be getting jobs somewhere. Maybe the Irvings have a 15000 strong PR department at this point

Read this now, good post PT6A

Cute churches you say? More like pet foot supply stores
https://goo.gl/maps/vuDpfEMniy5TGK4D7

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I don't know if it's still accurate/up to date but this article from a few years ago explains it I think:
https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/03/facebooks-siren-call/

Basically Facebook encourages people to stay within their walled garden. So there may be a link to the full story on cbc.ca but people just read the headline/extracted excerpt on facebook and don't bother clicking through to an external site where they can be shown ads that generate revenue for someone other than Facebook.

It reminds me of when Facebook did that huge push for video content a few years ago using fake/juked numbers to show how much better it was and forced a ton of companies to pivot away from text to video only to see it fail spectacularly. Facebook has a lot of control due to holding so many users and I guess the risk is that if they aren't sharing back to the people actually generating the content for them then those content producers are going to collapse.

Syfe probably described it better :)

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Fidelitious posted:

I found a delightful piece of land in Gatineau. It's a narrow strip behind 3 actual housing lots. You can never build on it and you can't access it from the road unless you convince one of those 3 to give you a right of way which they will never do.
After some investigation I believe that the way you reach it is by walking a bit down a powerline right-of-way and then hiking through the forest. Technically that land belongs to the sewage treatment plant but who's going to know eh?

Anyway, 7500 dollars.
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/25046238/65-rue-campeau-gatineau-gatineau-notre-dame-c%C3%B4t%C3%A9-ville

I do wonder what bizarre circumstances led to the existence of this. Surely the only logical move is to sever it in 3 pieces and sell it to those 3 residential lots. Or 1 of them, whichever.

In Nova Scotia, a popular real estate viewing app (viewpoint.ca) shows you all the parcels/property lines and there is a rather shocking amount of those weird plots that are enclosed on all sides with no access. I have no idea how they come about or why the province/city allows them

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Randalor posted:

So what exactly happens if the APP forms? Is there an actual process for Alberta to extract money from the CPP, and who decides exactly how much Alberta can take from it?

Or will it pass, Alberta goes to the Federal government and demands 125% of the CPP, and the Federal government goes "ROFL gently caress no go away" and suddenly the rest of not-Quebec Canada has a slightly larger CPP share?

Apparently it's determined by the federal government via negotiation with the province withdrawing as per the CBC article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-pension-plan-danielle-smith-change-minds-analysis-dinning-1.6974719

CBC News posted:

In Tombe's own newly published paper, he estimates Alberta would be more reasonably entitled to 20 or 25 per cent of CPP's present assets. CPPIB has not worked out its own figure, but Leduc said Tombe's math is much closer to a realistic figure, though even that may be high.

The ultimate number that Alberta would scoop up if it actually pursues the Alberta Pension Plan dream isn't Alberta's to determine, or Lifeworks' or Tombe's or even CPPIB's.

The federal government ultimately determines the asset transfer to a withdrawing province, likely in consultation with the other provinces.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Also this: https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/info/mc/personal/tools/canadacomplete/default_en.jsf

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Have you been watching Dr glaucomflecken as well or is luxury bones a more widely known funny means of referring to teeth? :)

I don't know if this is the origin but it's been around for several years due to a joke like this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
People assured me during the provincial election that the NS PCs were not like these other conservative parties in other provinces and how they were like the old school PCs from before the days of the reform party. Well, still evil as it turns out. Just not so in your face about it I guess.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
It's crazy to be how fast the prices have shifted for home heating. We moved in to our place in Nova Scotia in 2020 and I was researching options then since our place has baseboard electric heat which it quite expensive. Oil was often listed as one of the cheapest to operate, then I saw the place down the road that sold heating oil with a sign out front showing the price per liter go from 60 cents to 90 to over a dollar then they just took the sign down to entirely with the space of less than a year.

Now radio ads push propane as being the economical option.

Glad we got the wood stove installed so if the prices get too insane for a cord of wood we can always invest in some wood cutting equipment and do it ourselves.

Also with this house having baseboard heat it makes heat pumps a bit annoying as an option since there's no vents to to central heating/cooling so we'd be stuck having multiple units around the house I guess? Also our breaker panel is full so I don't know how they'd figure capacity for more power. My first thought would be too reuse the wiring for the baseboards but a lot of people recommend leaving them in place in case the heat pump fails.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

PittTheElder posted:

It's a bit of regional handout, but it's also to an absolutely tiny count of households, the number I've seen is 3%. And heating oil is already so cost ineffective that you already have incentives to switch to literally anything else, which is not really something you can say for Nat Gas.

Do you mean 3% nationally? Apparently 31% of households in Nova Scotia use oil heat (as of 2021 on the NS Government website)

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah it was a national number I think, but I could be wrong, just heard it on CBC radio I think

Apparently new brunswick is only 7% oil heating or something so the 3% national is probably accurate.

Also lol I was hearing a ton of ads on the radio here in NS promoting alberta's anti-carbon tax site/stance. I was wondering how much they must be spending to have a national advertising campaign, considering the ad was pretty frequent and playing on at least 3 of the local radio stations. Turns out their campaign was just in 4 provinces and they are blowing $8M on it: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-marketing-campaign-kenneth-wong-danielle-smith-1.6982839

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Private companies are certainly good at efficiency. Efficiently separating people from their money and in this case, health or even lives:

https://arstechnica.com/health/2023/11/ai-with-90-error-rate-forces-elderly-out-of-rehab-nursing-homes-suit-claims/