Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I was very confused with the OP until I got to the bottom and read the disclaimer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

great to have more evidence of precisely what anyone means when they use the term "final solution", especially if they are referring to eliminating something in the same thought.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Just got shot up with my 2nd Pfizer dose. Last time I just had a sore shoulder for a couple days, let's see what this does for me

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

McGavin posted:

The census asked me what languages my 6 month old baby spoke.

if you were doing it online I don't remember if "neither English or French" is an option but it is an option if you did in-peron or over the phone. Did you leave any comments about it not being an option? I've gotten a lot of comments about there being not enough options for certain questions.

Also you only get asked if you know languages other than French or English via the "first language learned at home as a child and still understands" question if you have a short-form, or if your residence was assigned a long-form there is a question asking if you know languages other than French or English

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Hexigrammus posted:

Wait, it hasn't started already??

Channel surfing on the truck radio in weekend holiday traffic - attack ad from a group I didn't catch. Most of the ad was making GBS threads on Kenney, his attack on health care workers during a pandemic and his general incompetent handling of the pandemic.

Almost as an afterthought at the end, something along the lines of: "Vote O'Toole if you want the same for the rest of Canada".

Very amusing.

haha yeah I heard that ad too, can't recall the name of the group but they aren't specifically attached to any party, just ABC I guess

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I remember when e-scooters first showed up in Alberta and a cousin told me "you know those are great tools to destroy public transit?" and I was like "what do you mean? doesn't this take more cars off the road?" and he said "no, people still drive their cars everywhere, this is just another avenue to avoid getting on the bus, same with Uber and Lyft."

After a couple years I can't say he's necessarily wrong, I was in Germany in 2019 and there were a lot of people riding e-scooters but there were also a whooooooole lot of people riding bikes and taking public transit. I wasn't in Munich or Berlin but I still found that the car traffic was surprisingly small when compared to traffic in the big centres I've lived in across Canada. If the municipalities were collecting some kind of "transit fee" with people riding e-scooters I think I would be more in favour (especially since they only are around when the snow is off the ground) of them because I like to think we would get more movement on our transit plans that way

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I think the Elks headcoach was all "oh yeah, our players are vaccinated/getting vaccinated. It would be stupid to take that risk with the new rules"

Considering it costs nothing for the players to get the shots, I'm surprised the team owners aren't stepping in and making it mandatory

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Isn't that how Horwath is running the ONDP too?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Is there a good twitter thread or blog post or some kind of post-mortem for the debate last night?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

O'Toole flipped his message today on the firearms ban. Now he wants to keep the liberal status quo.

that's...really dumb. I mean, I'm a firearms owner that got effected by that OIC and I wasn't planning to vote for the Cons ever in my life but a good portion of other owners I know will see this as a pretty big betrayal so what the gently caress is O'Toole thinking by potentially throwing away otherwise confirmed votes?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Saw a headline/topic on twitter "Ford government announces new Sept. 30 federal holiday will not be a stat holiday in Ontario" Sounded incredibly dumb at first - sure, just throw away some potential good will and easy political points from the working class.

Then, I looked up why that was being made a federal holiday.

Ontario will not make National Day for Truth and Reconciliation a provincial holiday

Oh. Of course, Ford's gotta appeal to the racists.

He only decided that now? poo poo, the UCP announced it wouldn't be provincially mandated in Alberta when the new holiday was announced 2 weeks ago, or whenever

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

What's all this crap in the comments about some UOttawa study saying the NDP have a poorly thought out budget?

I mean, I'm sure it's biased towards the red and blue parties because of course it is but is it actually something credible or similar to when the Fraser Institute says things?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

pokeyman posted:

I scrolled through an unhealthy amount of replies to that tweet and didn't see any mention of a UOttawa study, got a link?

In general, I would suggest anyone who fires up a spreadsheet with a copy of a party platform in hand has completely lost the plot for how platforms are used and what level of detail is relevant therein.

This was the thing I saw a few naysayers quoting https://www.ifsd.ca/en/blog/last-page-blog/ndp-2021-platform

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Having worked the advance polls over the weekend I can say that it was a bit of a poo poo show just on account of the mask mandates getting changed every day.

We started on Friday (in Edmonton, where the municipality has made masks mandatory for all indoor public places) turning people away who refused to put a mask on, giving them an address for where they could go and cast their ballot. Later that day we were informed by Elections Canada we couldn't turn them away, we had to let them in, just don't call attention to it or make a fuss. This was mostly the same on Saturday but we only had 1 or 2 individuals out of several hundred and they didn't cause a scene. On Sunday we were informed by the operators of the building we were set up in that a face covering of some form would be required as we were operating in a Senior Living building and they did not like strangers without masks within the premises. Again, not a huge deal as there were only a couple people that were refusing, the larger issue was trying to get people to stop commenting on who people should vote for, though our CPS was good at handling those scenarios.

On Monday we were told again by our RO that we could not turn away anyone with exemption letters, and that would override what the building operators were telling us to do. We still only had 1 person attempt to raise a fuss so we lucked out but overall this was the most trying election I've worked and I'm kinda glad I'm not working on election day.

Also, whole lotta people were under the impression we were volunteers, I wonder if this is why EC is kinda understaffed this time

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Le Saboteur posted:

Not sure if this policy or just a polling place making their decision but pretty wild nonetheless. https://twitter.com/davidharvey/status/1440009596014415872?s=20

policy may have changed since the Advance Polls and it probably depends on where this happened but during Advance Polls we were told "clear the room and let them vote, then let everyone else in" was an option to accommodate anti-maskers but everyone in my polling place shared the opinion of "gently caress that, we're not pushing these assholes to the front of the line" and instead had solutions like "will you at the very least where a face shield?" or "we are not denying you your right to vote, we are telling you that we have multiple authorities telling us to not allow anyone refusing to wear a mask into this room. here's the address where you can go and they will accommodate you"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I can absolutely see Edmonton Centre and Griesbach going to a recount but if the results stand then I am glad that greasy gently caress Kerry Diotte will be gone. Kinda eh on Boissonnault getting elected again but whatever, another non-CPC seat and that makes me happy

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Lassitude posted:

Not even Wehrmacht conscript. The dude was Einsatzgruppen. They put entire villages into mass graves on the Eastern Front.

they're saying he was conscripted and there's actual proof he was Einsatzgruppen? wasn't that one of the true believer arms of the Nazi party?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I dunno, swap O'Toole in place of Scheer on that dumb Resistance photo and what has really changed?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I thought we were consulting with other Telecom giants for 5G infrastructure, like Nokia

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I was just thinking that filming a Last of Us show in Alberta during a pandemic is one of those stranger than fiction things, can't make that poo poo up.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

What the gently caress are they even talking about? While lotta double negatives and ambiguous (and poorly spelled) words in those tweets

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

What a nice way to wake up, my neighbour will be replacing a councilor who I feel has been there for most of my life. Edmonton sure rocked the boat at city hall

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

regarding the "how old are you now?" thing, that happened off and on when I was a kid (central Alberta) and the counting "are ya 1, are ya 2, etc." happened maybe 3 times, all before the age of 10.

know what happens 90% of the time after someone sings Happy Birthday? Someone (maybe a couple people) will continue with "and many more"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Pleads posted:

I have blackout curtains and haven't left my house in 19 months, what even is the sun

Getting a jumpstart on the Morlok evolutionary stream, eh?

edit: poo poo this thread woke up

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Seeing something like that, and the way it is presented (possibly by the homeschooled kid) reminds me of when my dad and I went to Vogelsang a couple years ago. That was an eye opening experience for me because my formal education of Nazi Germany from Alberta public schools was that they locked up Jewish people, political dissidents and enemies, POC, LGBTQ, and many other "undesirables" to first work them to death and then later exterminate them at scale. As I got older more was added, like how MacKenzie King visited and praised Hitler's policies because they appeared to be getting Germany out of their depression, or how basically every nation turned away Jewish immigrants because we didn't want them either. Basically, everything I learned came back to the fact that "who cares if they built the Autobahn, they still gassed 8 million people and actively tried to genocide an ethnic population for 'reasons' so don't emulate them" but we never dug into nitty gritty stuff outside of how Hitler took power.

So with that foundation, here I am about a decade after my formal education has ended exploring one of four planned "campuses" that were envisioned as training centres for the next generation of Nazi Party leaders and what surprised me the most was how all of the information was presented. Most museums and education centres I have been to always try to strike a neutral tone with delivering information, my first time experiencing the opposite of that was during the Truth and Reconciliation Commission back in 2014, but in Germany they are not afraid to acknowledge the horrible things that happened under Hitler and also actively frame all of the information in a way of "oh you thought the Nazis had 'good ideas'?! :lmao: let me tell you how rear end backwards those ideas were, both in conception and implementation". I had never heard of these training centres before, so in addition to the shocking moment of discovering they had, effectively, brainwashing centres for the up and coming true believers, there was also a sort of levity when in the same information panel I would be told "yeah they 'planned' to have 4 of these sites around the country and you would do a 4 year rotation to explore the country you were, in theory, being prepared to run, but like most big work projects the Nazis came up with it was half-baked, poorly implemented, didn't even get loving finished because of inner-party backstabbing and other cases of ratfuckery".

Personally, I would be down for that kind of approach to "the Nazis had some 'good' ideas" but I wouldn't trust any current Conservative with implementing something like that since they are probably the same fuckheads that would've signed up to go to a place like Vogelsang. Incidentally, the humour and levity of the information at that place quickly disappeared as you went through the timeline and got to the parts where guest lecturers were teaching the participants about "the Jewish problem" and later "the final solution" and even better was what bright, upstanding, politicians they made seeing as most of the magistrates and marshals put in charge of conquered places like Ukraine, Romania, Poland, and the like were graduates from these places. They were the ones that were given marching orders from Berlin to keep the populations in line and so did things like "ok, get these people all in a line and just let 'er rip with that MG42, these people aren't Germans so who gives a gently caress about them? I'll do it myself if none of you pansies are going to follow orders".

If you ever have any doubts about how hosed up the Nazis were from top-to-bottom, read about places like Vogelsang, travel to the site in Western Germany, but don't trust the UCP to educate you about them

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

infernal machines posted:

First the firestorms, now the floods. IDK what the BC interior did, but god is pissed.

can't wait for what's in store for Alberta, what will going back to open-pit mining in the mountains bring us?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

infernal machines posted:

Remember when we killed the Albertan family farm by forcing them to abide by the same labour laws as everyone else?

This is like that.

god I dread the election cycle next year when the UCP is beating that drum like "fast ferries" in BC or "Rae Days" in Ontario. Not to mention the loving media will absolutely push that poo poo in our faces too, god I hate this loving provincecountry some days

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I used to have a pair of boots like that and they were bright orange. They were rated for like -100 or something stupid and they each weighed at least 1kg but they were warm as gently caress and were great when being out in the snow, and they were so garish that I always knew which boots were mine.

Unfortunately some gently caress broke into my garage about 7 years ago and took them, I've never had as good a pair as them (and don't want to pay again since I picked them up for like 80% off)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Jesus christ, no wonder listings in my neighbourhood in Edmonton shot up 50k+

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Wistful of Dollars posted:

If you’re your own boss then you always make the same amount as your boss.

Checkmatw. :smug:

The fun of being an artist

:negative:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

More and more that is becoming less "lol Edmonton" and more "*sigh* Prairie life"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Why couldn't they have gone to Jasper? It's a far drive for everyone and you're still in the mountains

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I had a laugh with the Edmonton one because I was thinking "so is anyone actually upset that this piece of poo poo is dead? I'll bet the tenants aren't"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Didn't know Christina Heritage was a national party. For some reason I thought it only existed in the prairies

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Arivia posted:

Christina Heritage won best girl-girl scene at the 2021 AVN awards

Wow, that's an amazing autocorrect that I'm keeping

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Is Ruth's Chris too obvious that you're deliberately running up the bill?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

A drone?! Holy poo poo it is astounding what those things can do

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Powershift posted:

May 18: Edmonton city council discusses cutting police budget by $22.2m
May 18: Justin Bone kills 2 men with a blunt object in downtown Edmonton's Chinatown
May 25: Tyler Shandro, Alberta's criminal justice minister tries to politicize the killings, rambles on about gun violence
May 25: Alberta law society sets 3 hearing dates for Shandro for 3 different ethics violations.
May 26: Shandro invokes the police act to force Edmonton to increase downtown policing and gives them 2 weeks to come up with a safety plan

So it's been two weeks, did Sohi and the rest of council tell Shandro to pound sand?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I kind of agree with PT6A's point about fast food. A&W isn't healthy food, it's convenient food. There may have been a time 70 years ago when it was "better" for you but that was also when people were eating less meat each day than we so now. There were also considerably fewer processed additives and poo poo in food so even the shittiest food was still ok.

When the government steps in and tut tuts you for enjoying your McNuggets and telling you you're eating the shittiest parts of the chicken ground into a paste and deep fried, you don't give a poo poo because it's all you can afford based off of time and resources. Those MPs and bureaucrats have the luxury of more of those resources and so can choose to eat healthier. If you want me to eat healthier, make healthier options more affordable, give me a maximum 50 hour work week with the standard full time threshold being 32 or something. Give me a reason to choose the healthier option that doesn't just feel like some privileged gently caress talking down from their soap box.

Incidentally, when A&W first introduced their Beyond Meat burger I had one and I told people it did taste like a Teen burger. But when asked if I would order it over a Teen burger again I said I'd order the Teen instead. My reasons were a) the Teen burger is still cheaper and b) I didn't come to A&W to make a healthy choice, I came to A&W because I haven't eaten in 6 hours, I won't be getting home soon to make my own meal, and dammit I just want that greasy texture in my mouth to release some tension from the day. The Beyond Meat burger doesn't do any of those things, it just makes me feel like I'm being guilted into a healthier option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Starks posted:

Both you and PT6A are over-relying on personal anecdote (and hypothetical anecdote at that). The article about Chile that I posted earlier shows that labels do reduce consumption of unhealthy foods, and the effect is more pronounced among lower education and lower income families. Also your example is ironic, because a beyond burger has more fat and more sodium than a teen burger, which I bet not a lot of people realize when they order it as the "healthier" option.

I mean, I'm also just shitposting, I love that there are more labels and info available (didn't know about the thing with Beyond but that makes me laugh). Though I'm sure I'm not wrong that healthier options are not as easily gotten by everyone thanks to corporate interests wanting to have cheap production costs