Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Think he is famous enough to get a Canada-wide warrant? It surprised me when I found out you literally could outrun the law in Canada by just going to a different province.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

mila kunis posted:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/here-s-why-it-s-so-hard-to-get-a-campsite-in-ontario-parks-1.5366507

The government said the reselling of permits is out of their hands.

“These operators and individuals are not associated with Ontario Parks. The reassignment of reservations by outside operators or individuals is permitted under provincial park legislation," its spokesperson said. "The park permit must be modified to reflect the new reservation holder."

It seems trivially simple to enforce that the buyer of a park reservation must be the one checking in and to criminalize reselling but I guess that's too complex for this government.

Problem is it takes a real law to have power, the Provincial government can't make up a law without going through the legislature or the regulations.

If there was a weasel word, such that someone can make a regulation like the Premier or the Minister of Parks/outdoor whatever then they can do something. But if there is no law saying you can't, well you're stuck with no enforcement power, until the Legislature passes a law either forbidding resale of permits or empowers a Minister to make regulations.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
More information on the Portapique massacre. Sourced from Franks Magazine a tabloid/news magazine from Nova Scotia so I'm not quite sure I would place it well vetted since these are supposed 911 audio tapes secretly copied and provided to Frank Magazine.

It has the raw audio and a written transcript, of 3 different 911 calls. The TL;DR is that these 911 callers reported that it was their neighbour Gabe dressed up as police with a police car shooting them. So more fuel to the fire of RCMP incompetence showing that the initial 911 calls told the Police who was shooting, what he was dressed as, and that he was driving a police car.

Information that was not released to the public as supposedly they only got the info from GW's girlfriend in the morning and the police uniform and car info wasn't reported to them, when these 911 calls show it literally was reported to them that night.

Still I would approach this with a critical eye as Franks magazine is tabloid-lite from my understanding.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
I think they are trying to say shared experiences, transcends borders? In the context of Arivia saying Juneteenth is a straight import from the US and not related to Canada at all. We have our own Canadian history of treating black people badly.

But we also set aside a day August 1st to memorialize emancipation, and not Juneteenth

But yeah saying black culture is uh :yikes:

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
He assumes everyone is as smart of a Doctor as he is at parsing out the exact technical information, from a scientifically explained point.

We don't have data to support or refute mixing and matching.

Smart people hear: we don't know if mixing works, but it isn't going to kill you

We don't have data to support or refute mixing and matching.

Dumb people hear: They don't know if mixing is a good idea! It's going to kill you!

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Well poo poo I just assumed he was a doctor because why else would you say that. Now that's dumb

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Breaking up depressing First Nations chat, here's some news from the Coldwar/Airpower thread related to the Canadian military.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Defense Watch Watch

So this is fortunately just dumb and embarrassing as opposed to nightmarish and awful.

So the Canadian military has been trying to get its feet wet with information warfare, and thus far has not exactly covered itself in honor. First it lied about wolves in Nova Scotia. Then it...conducted a surveillance operation on the black lives matter political movement. (This is one case where I can give the CF the benefit of the doubt; it could have been like those "plans" that war colleges do for practice, like the US invading Canada, IE an exercise where the target was as innocuous as possible. On the other hand, racism. Hell, considering PM Trudeau contributed some money, maybe the idea was to look for blackmail material (pardon the pun) to put the brakes on the fed ruining the Canadian officers rape and coverup club.)

But surprise, the CF didn't know that all of these things were illegal, though the illegality appears to be that "the pols didn't approve it." Which seems a mite convenient, considering another project they were working on was

quote:

quote:
Last year the branch launched a controversial plan that would have allowed military public affairs officers to use propaganda to change attitudes and behaviours of Canadians as well as collect and analyze information from the public’s social media accounts.

[...]

The plan was circulated at National Defence headquarters in draft form and would have seen staff move from traditional government methods of communicating with the public [ed note: you know, lies, stonewalling, and silence] to a more aggressive strategy of using information warfare and influence tactics on Canadians.

[...]

The initiative, overseen by Brig. Gen. Jay Janzen, was part of a shift at National Defence headquarters to what was dubbed “the weaponization of public affairs.”

Which is clearly something the DND would be all for what with people still not agreeing that all their procurement programs are fine and sex crime isn't a problem in the Canadian forces

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
I can't remember if the heritage fund is the same as the pension fund, but all they might have done is heavily invest in Alberta Oil companies. :wtc: so when those guys run out of money the province runs out of money. Which was a nice kickback scheme to plunder a fund by trying to shore up coincidentally UCP linked businesses that went bankrupt.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Depends, there will of course be some sentiment from Pro-China immigrants. But from my circle they are mostly anti-china/anti-communist which is why they came here in the first place. They like parties that were hardline against Mainland China.

It will definitely depend on how the demographics have changed since then of course, and even bashing China can only go so far on winning that vote.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Is being able to ride a bike one of those rich people things, like swimming? I know I learned to ride a bike as a kid and obviously was fortunate enough to have a bike too. But did poor people not learn because it had a high barrier of entry to purchase a bike?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Did the government ever set a fishing limit backed by conservation data? Or did they profess dismay at the racism and continued to ignore the problem by not doing anything.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
I assume trying to avoid being painted into the corner of "O'Toole hates women and children and wants mass murders in Canada"

No matter what he says on guns even repealing the OiC which banned mass murdering guns means he hates Canadians and wants them murdered. The attack ads write themselves after the Liberals started the gun ban OiC which "protects" Canadians

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So I just saw some CPC lawn signs, and their slogan is "Secure the Future". Like, literally paraphrasing the fourteen words?

And they announced it in this tweet, in a sentence which is even closer to the nazi slogan (and "happens" to be exactly 14 words and 88 characters long).

https://twitter.com/CPC_HQ/status/1422165410410008578

How the gently caress is this not a bigger deal?

Unfortunately dogwhistles are just that dogwhistles, it can be very easy to hand wave "coincidences" away and have people on your case for over reacting to just some strongly worded slogans.

See the "Okay" gesture for a totally not white power gang sign that is frequently thrown around by white supremist people for some reason.

Most people aren't as "online" as the regular SA forum user who can see the trees in the forest.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Well those pesky voters keep fighting us Nobles MLA's insisting we implement vaccine passports, what is this a democracy?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Take the mail in ballot to your polling station and it should be valid.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Aren't most resource companies "located" in Canada because we have such lovely laws on regulating corporations? Like we can't even hold SNC Lavalin to account for the poo poo they pulled so I don't think Canada really has any "soft power"

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Arc Hammer posted:

So is there a reason New Brunswick's tory government is ordering employees to not make indigenous land acknowledgements? Did Higgs see his plummeting approval rating and say "we need to dig deeper" or something?

There is a court case between the NB Government and various First Nation groups, between what is tribal land and what isn't. Officially saying that all the land is not NB's but is "unceded" or "unsurrendered" is basically giving up any claim.

quote:

"As you may be aware, the Government of New Brunswick (GNB) is currently involved in a number of legal actions which have been initiated by certain First Nations against the province, including a claim to ownership and title to over 60% of the Province," read Flemming's leaked memo, which was later verified by a provincial spokesperson.

"As a result of this litigation, legal counsel for GNB and the Office of the Attorney General has advised that GNB employees may not make or issue territorial or title acknowledgements.

Flemming wrote it may still be "desirable" to make an "ancestral acknowledgement," which is provided at the bottom of the memo: "We (I) respectfully acknowledge the territory in which we gather as the ancestral homelands of the Wolastoqey, Mi'gmaw and Peskotomuhkati peoples. We strive for respectful relationships with all the peoples of this province as we search for collective healing and true reconciliation and honour this beautiful land together."

"Please note the absence of terms such as 'unceded' or 'unsurrendered,' " Flemming wrote.

So litigation tactic, not as bad as not acknowledging the first nations land, but still..

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Well I wouldn't know what standing NB has on their land, and what was stolen or what was given up via treaty. At the very least it isn't NB being racist just because.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
I'll wait until Edmonton actually cuts.

This year it's increased 1 million to pay for stat and OT pay. And the 10 million is for follow on years, a lot can happen between now and a real cut.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
To add Ian Runkle a Canadian defense lawyer (mostly associated with firearm law) has this spiel about the Provincial Administrative Penalties Act a year ago and how poo poo it is. Where it promptly flew under the radar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXHF_fULvwA

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 10, 2022

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
I didn't know there was a difference :confused:. He got called to the bar and does legal stuff, so he's a lawyer right?

I also have to assume somebody knows he's been doing this side hustle, because he's been doing that youtube channel for almost 2 years now and it's not like he's hiding his identity the channel name even has Runkle in it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 10, 2022

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Woah that sounds like communism, having the government clean up after a private company.

Free market forces dictate that a nearly bankrupt company will surely care for the public land they extracted wealth from.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
How is the Federal Liberal childcare promise going? I haven't really followed it beyond Ontario being the last holdout.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Is NDP a dirty word now?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Well based off that tweet apparently the NDP are practically nazis which otoole doesn't want the CPC to become the NDP of the right.

Like the NDP has been so ineffectual I'm surprised it's a CPC dirty word. Or is it more entrenched of the 2 party "let's take turns" with the LPC by more marginalizing the "far" left vote

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
how prevalent is French proficiency ITT? I feel bad everytime a French news article or comment is posted and I rely on google translate to get the gist of it. While it seems every poster knows exactly what was said (selection bias I know because if you can read it you comment on it but still)

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Servetus posted:

Could you explain this point? I understood the others but I don't know why you can't use local units

I would expect this to only actually matter in dictatorships where local units may be sympathetic and join a riot instead of suppressing it. That said our military is probably so unreliable and small that you have to import soldiers from other provinces, truly a mark of a first world nation with a strong government and military.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

MA-Horus posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I keep hearing "we can't tow the trucks away!"

Arrest the owners
Take the keys
Drive them away

Or would this be considered an illegal seizure?

Can you ouroboros a truck so you can't tow it away?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

acumen posted:

Some (many?) of the rank-and-file may be on the protestor's side but I don't think there's any way they don't follow orders in this case. I'm prepared to eat my words here but obeying is beaten into you from day one in the military; doing dumb poo poo that your command forces you to do is like 99% of the job. It's a world of difference from cops.

I mean you already order the troops to not sexually harass women/minorities, or be loving creeps. Yet we lost the whole senior leadership due to the multiple seperate sex scandals and coverups.

I'm not exactly sanguine that our troops are on our side especially if they support the "protestors"

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

The Dark Project posted:

I am really surprised people haven't just started to rain down bricks and cinder blocks onto the trucks below from high roof tops. The amount of tolerance towards these idiots has been astounding.

have you seen the price of bricks and cinder blocks! the proletariat is too poor to afford even the most basic means of revolution.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Is this really just them worried bout an optics thing

If police work on Sunday do they get extra OT pay? Maybe it was just simple grift after all.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Cocaine Bear posted:

So what happens to a Yank Terrourist caught with an illegal magazine or firearm in Canada? They get to live here now or in a US hell prison?

Depends on the circumstances, most times they are caught at the border with a prohibited pistol/magazine they might lose the firearm/magazine, get turned around and told they are an idiot. Or depending on how they talked to the CBSA (lie about having a firearm and what they have) they serve time in Canada and then sent back to the US.

In regards to the photo of what was seized.

1. Body armor is regulated Provincially, it is illegal to possess body armor in Alberta unless you have a license or exemption. Having a Federal firearms license is an exemption so not illegal on that front.

2. Most of the guns seized are non-restricted firearms except the 2 pistols (restricted) and maybe the Tan rifle on the right, it looks like an AR-15 (restricted now prohibited) but I can't tell from this angle.

3. It isn't illegal per say to possess non-restricted firearms wherever you want except certain places, I would guess the Crown will plea deal with them to forfeit the firearm or license to the Crown instead of trying to argue a court case on it and convict them, unless the RCMP have good evidence of the condition the firearms were in when seized (locked up or basically hanging out on the car seat).

4. The handguns and AR-15, 100% illegal full stop the Crown will have no problem arguing they are not where they are supposed to be (at home, or at the shooting range)

5. The magazines that are unpinned and fully loaded, 100% illegal the Crown will have no problem convicting whoever had them.

6. It isn't illegal to have ammo, unless you are improperly storing it. It will most likely be used as an aggravating factor on possession of a firearm with ammo nearby

7. The Vector looks to be the .22lr variant of it, because it has the 16" pencil barrel. You literally buy that gun because you think the Vector firearm looks cool, but don't have 2k to buy the 9mm version.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
That is actually a thing unfortunately, IIRC some gang cases had charges thrown out because the cops bust a car full of people with prohibited guns/magazines but since no one actually had them in hand they can't prove who is "possessing" them which is required for a conviction.

Yeah I'm not holding out high hopes for most people to get jail time charges, if the Police don't want a case to proceed it is extremely easy to botch it. Depends if they have friends in the right wing supremacy groups of course they do :(

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Depends OiC's aren't unlimited, does an already passed Act of Parliament confer that power to the Cabinet?

My go-to example I know, is that the governor in council can classify firearms by name via OiC into restricted or prohibited, since it's a power granted to them via the Criminal code.

You can't Magick an OiC into being unless parliament has said you can.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

To ATTRACT crypto???

Did conservatives not get the memo on this? Basically every government it turning on crypto

If people relocate to Alberta to mine crypto, they can sell more Natural gas/oil to waste power the crypto farms and every one in Alberta loves oil and gas and farmers. Hardworking salt of the earth people

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Technically it's a federal license but yes, if someone has a restricted firearm (registered to them) the Chief firearms officer should be shaking them upside down to make sure they don't have them still when their firearms license expires/revoked.

The delay between expiry and revocation is also due to the fact the law considers an expired license valid for possession only for up to 6 months after expiry to give someone time to renew their license.

But if I'm reading the Twitter thread correctly the crown is wanting to add new conditions to his bail, as he has past evidence of not abiding court orders (by using the acquisition of a restricted firearm after being told not to possess).

Edit: Potential possession of a firearm could be relevant but being charitable Pat King could have sold or transferred all his firearms after being given a peace bond thus not requiring to report stolen, lost firearm etc.

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 25, 2022

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Buy Japanese! :japan:

They look so cute!

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
So if I understand LAC right, they are "purging" historical web pages but the ones they are deleting are the ones they wrote (offering information about the text) and not the actual historical references? Just making sure I understand what LAC is doing.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
So 20 years of waving pharmacare and dental care at us then? Is this the new "vote for us" meme now that childcare is done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
So is it just a movie/tv thing where Fraternities or even charity groups auction hot male/female dates off?

Not going to give them any excuse/credit though as "slave auction" is still pretty ridiculous both as the name and the practice of what you do as the "bought slave".