Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Health Canada extends shelf life of AstraZeneca doses set to expire Monday by a month

Shots set to expire? Just take a sharpie and add a month onto the best before date!

I kid, I kid. I do hope they've done studies to ensure that the doses remain effective under the new timetable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

apatheticman posted:

Im serious when I ask this.

Do we know why Canadian uptake is so high compared to the rest of the world (well atleast the US)?

I imagine part of it has to do with our lack of home production for vaccines and the media firestorm around how many doses we pre-purchased and when we've received them. A lot of factors on top of how frantic our premiers are to lift lockdowns has created a pretty high demand for vaccines.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol there's a small anti mask protest group on a corner in the Byward Market and the guy on the bullhorn is trying to make baaa sheep noises but he sounds more like Butthead.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Alongside his bone marrow buddy who cured all diseases using his bone marrow

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Ontario government is tapping the medical officer of health for Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox and Addington as the province’s next top doctor.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/kingston...urces-1.5448453

Thank gently caress they're ditching David Williams and his incomprehensible speech.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

abuse culture. posted:

He’s retiring, iirc it was a long time in the making and then the covid happened

True but this is cause for me personally to celebrate. I lose brain cells every time I have to record this moron's news conferences.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

redbrouw posted:

Let's make fun of truth and reconciliation in the thread title, terrific idea

Wouldn't be any worse than the farce the Feds are running.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vintersorg posted:

loving heads on pikes - pay back $20K - gently caress OFF YOU BASTARD. :lol:

What's this about?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To boomers the 60s Scoop is just some weird Baskin Robbins ice cream flavour.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I could do without the crocodile tears from politicians and public health officers. What good is fake grief and an affected tremble in your voice when tomorrow you'll go back to business as usual.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fidelitious posted:

Ottawa also had a recent spate of gang-related shootings. A huge number of the comments are about "3rd world imports" and that we need to "deport all these people".
Canada is racist as gently caress.

Don't worry though, the police say the shootings aren't related to one another. We just have several armed people running about at the same time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Friend of mine who works for Conestoga College got an email from their manager of aboriginal services saying there's likely going to be more news coming from the Brantford and Chippewas or Thames residential school sites.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Another Bill posted:

Oh yeah, if we start looking we are going to find a lot of bodies everywhere. Sending ground penetrating radar to every residential school is the only way to start getting at the truth and no politician will do it.

All the more reason why weepy politicians talking about how sad this all is deserve to get shot into the sun. gently caress the politicians, get a public advocacy group to examine the sites and lay the skeletons at the feet of those responsible. It doesn't matter if the politicians reject responsibility they were never going to accept. What is important is that the public knows and forces action.

Japan has a similar issue with accepting responsibility as mentioned above, but I fault governments and their imposition of what constitutes "culture" rather than individuals when it comes to recognizing historical atrocities. When governments refuse to accept truth it is up to the public to educate themselves and lay the truth bare. The mindset of "we did nothing wrong" in Japan isn't universal, and neither is the mindset here in Canada with regards to residential schools. Most of it is born from ignorance inflicted by government systems rather than an ingrown hatred and denial.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While it sucks for kids that is ultimately going to be the right thing to do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sashimi posted:

My impression of the average Japanese person's views of the war after living there is that they know they did some awful things during that time and regret it, even if they can't point to discrete examples. The waters are muddied a lot because of toxic historiography in Japan history, heavily manipulated by a long campaign run by far right groups with close ties to the LDP that make sure textbooks and curriculums suit their agenda. You're probably never going to hear about Unit 731 or the Rape of Nanking in a Japanese school, and I'd imagine you'd have a difficult time publishing a book or article about topics like that too. There's also the cultural norm there that heavily frowns upon upsetting the social order, in addition to the risks of going against the agenda of entrenched and powerful groups if someone actually wanted to get loud about this.

Every now and then you do see some healthier reflection like at the museums at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Nagasaki had an important introductory section where they briefly laid out the path to the nuclear attack through the war in China and the subsequent war in the Pacific.

Ultimately that's pretty much what we do here in Canada. We don't teach just how horrific our own past with residential schools is beyond "we did some bad things." Our high school history classes don't talk about Canadian War Crimes in WW1 and especially in WW2 where we had a nasty rash of POW executions. We may not have the same outward appearance of frowning upon topics that upset the social order but we absolutely do downplay uncomfortable topics. We as a country are comfortable in mediocrity that doesn't rock the boat that much, which is why we've had decades upon decades of liberal rule with the occasional conservative administration to remind us how much worse things can be when we're not being mediocre.

Nobody likes looking at their dirty past and the only way to learn more is to seek it out, because public education and catholic education sure as poo poo aren't going to do it for you. The only reason I learned about the motherfucker known as Duncan Campbell Scott is because his poetry was on the syllabus for CanLit in university and my prof was good enough to emphasize what a colossal monster he was to put his poetry into context.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Starks posted:

I think the whole "we need better education" idea is kind of liberal bullshit, sorry to those in this thread who mentioned it, but it comes off the same as land acknowledgement to me. It's just thoughts and prayers and "awareness". I don't think any indigenous groups are asking for that. I'd be more interested in prosecuting anyone who is still alive that was involved in the schools, former indian agents etc. no matter how old they are. And the churches that got off scot-free - from what I understand the Catholic church basically completely dodged their 79$ million dollar reparations bill thanks to Harper.

There is a difference between educating people to raise awareness and understanding and the mealy mouthed BS of recognizing traditional unceded territory in political speeches. The latter is pretty much SOP "look good for the camera" optics for public speakers while the former doesn't hurt anyone and introduces new concepts to people who don't know any better. We absolutely should be demanding better from our education system. The outcry over the current situation has brought in a lot of people who didn't know about it all or didn't know the full extent of the atrocities and the use of social media has been very strong at signal boosting the news.

Now imagine if that same energy was put into educating people during their formative years to emphasize that this is important and shouldn't be glossed over because it upsets some poor racist's sensibilities. Education isn't the problem, it's the system of government behind education that staunchly refuses to treat these incidents as anything other than an embarrassing factoid to cover up at all costs and that mandate trickles down through every social system they have a hand in.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jesus christ what the gently caress is Kenney doing!? He's literally doing a whataboutism on a question about Sir John A MacDonald by talking about all the poo poo Wilfred Laurier did. And now he's on a rant about cancel culture.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 1, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know what this week really needs while we're talking about genocide? A discussion about cancel culture ruining the good name of an old white racist! Historiography, what's that you made that word up!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zutaten posted:

I'm pretty sure you can still catch a CFL game for like 30 bucks a ticket, and I couldn't tell you how much an NHL ticket costs because I've never seen a game.

Depends on if you want to be up in the nosebleeds or not and if you have access to transportation. Also depends on the stadium, team and league. I've gotten Sens tickets for as low as $50 but it's a bastard to find parking, CTC is on the rear end end of Kanata, and you're watching the Senators, where the away team has more fans in seats than you do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol I can't believe I forgot about the time Kenney tried to have a Bigfoot movie cancelled because it dared to criticize the oil and gas industry. That was like two months ago tops.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dunno if there's a more appropriate thread for this. I absolutely hate navigating government websites. I'm out $500 this morning because of the national student loans website, which somehow gave me maybe four different responses that were each wrong.

So I'm repaying student loans and I've been using the repayment assistance plan. My last six months expired at the end of April so I reapplied. Now what is supposed to happen is when your application is being processed, your payments are frozen until your application is approved or refused. Not that this really matters because I'm set up for direct deposit.

Anyways, after two weeks in May where it wouldn't even let me reapply for RAP because it thought I had another application on file I finally got my application submitted. Then I received an email from NSLSC addressed to another applicant with the wrong reference number saying there were going to be processing delays. Then i checked the website again and saw my application had been rejected because I have outstanding payments. Payments that should have been frozen while the application was being processed. So I drop $500 to clear my late payments and I try to reapply, only for the website to tell me that I can't start a new application while my current application is being processed. The application that I just checked and was told had been refused.

I never received an email telling me the status of my application, my NSLSC account inbox hasn't sent me any notifications, I got someone else's email about their account payments and I'm out $500 just to put my repayment back in good standing because government websites are run by chimpanzees. Either they should hire more people to actually have human eyes read over application s or they should fire whatever programmer automated their websites.

I dont make that much money so a $500 payment on top of my other expenses like rent and food isn't something I'm too keen on unless I never want to take a vacation or travel before I'm 40. It's been pissing me off all morning.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Panderfringe posted:

I've gone through something similar with the NSLSC, and I can tell you from experience calling them to get more information is just as useless as the website. When doing my RAP application, I was given six different answers about what documents I needed to provide. Eventually I just let the application expire so i could do a new one.

Also thanks for reminding me that I need to do another application, because the RAP only lasted for one month for me. For some reason.

It's baffling. Last time I applied they asked me for documents, this time they asked me for nothing. I'm set up for direct deposit and they throw me into outstanding fees because they didn't do an auto-pay. There's no rhyme or reason to it at all and the rules change every time I visit the site. Nobody is at the wheel and it's costing me more than I can afford.

I mean if I was making 50K a year it wouldn't be a problem but I'm not making that kind of middle class income.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He made a sensible choice and still made it sound like it was the scientists and the teachers doing evil poo poo to keep schools closed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Quite the 180 from Lecce denying any spread in schools now that he can blame scientists for fear mongering.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"I dont listen to my science advisory board but I do base my decisions on the word of a small child who let me into his house."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also just the creep factor of Doug following a small child into his house unannounced instead of asking the kid to get his parents to come to the door. Also wouldn't Doug making a house call be considered non essential and therefore illegal under his own rules?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/concerns-raised-after-photos-of-alta-premier-ministers-dining-on-sky-palace-rooftop-emerge-1.5453488

Kenney and cronies photographed by a concerned Albertan dining outdoors together and flouting gathering rules by moving between indoors and outdoors for dining.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Were they also dumping ICU patients onto North Dakota?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol Hinshaw with the half assed attempt to defend Kenney and his cronies on the balcony by saying "I wasn't there so I don't know but I've seen the photo and anyways next question."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder what Rick Bell's angle is by pressing this question. He's usually on Kenney's side for all these updates and now he's asking about how Kenney refusing to admit fault is undermining public trust. Is he one of those nutso libertarians who only likes the ruling government when they are beating down people he doesn't like and throws them under the bus the moment he actually has to deal with face-eating leopard consequences?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Williams can't determine basic speech patterns let alone modeling patterns. Every time Dr. Brown announces new modeling and trends Williams ignores him and contradicts what he's saying.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I absolutely believe Williams is that dumb AND that he's making a smokescreen for Doug. It's impossible to listen to Williams and not come away thinking he's one of the dumbest motherfuckers to hold the position of Chief Public Health Officer. But Yaffe gave the game away when she was caught on a hot mic bemoaning why she even bothers to do updates when the higher ups tell her and Williams what to say. They're complicit. Yaffe doesn't care, Williams is too stupid to hold ill intent.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In more "Catholic Church is complicit and loving evil" news:

Canadian archbishop says comments made by Trudeau on Church’s role in residential schools 'unfair'

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/two-members-of-alberta-premier-jason-kenney-s-cabinet-criticize-him-on-covid-19-actions-1.5458600

Well now, two caucus members getting tossed out for criticizing Kenney is one thing, but two Cabinet Ministers calling him out for his Sky Palace bullshit and his cancel culture statement is another. Just collapse already, UCP.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Onto week four of my hell of listening to the Liberals filibuster at the Defence Committees. I'm not sure if Cheryl Gallant making wild conspiracy accusations about plots between Vance and Sajjan to rape women is more or less infuriating than the Libs tut tutting and wasting everyone's time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know David Williams, they started calling the variants by Greek characters specifically to prevent bigotry against countries of origin. It doesn't help if you talk about the Delta variant and then immediately follow up by calling it "the so-called Indian Variant."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kenney doubled down today defending both his sky palace bullshit and his cancel culture comments. Because of course he did.

And naturally he said it was a business meeting and someone gave him a bottle of whisky because it was his 30th birthday. I dont care if he misspoke I like the image of him being the worst shape 30 year old ever.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 7, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I honestly wouldn't mind if the entire provincial park system was nationalized so they could be protected from vulture capitalist Premiers and only under threat from vulture capitalist feds.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's really pathetic that their only excuse for doing it is to point fingers at the NDP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DariusLikewise posted:

What the gently caress does Egerton Ryerson have to do with D-Day? The man wasn't even alive for the first world war lmao

D Day like Vimy is one of the days that Canadian Are Troops fascists use as an excuse to say they're manly men unlike pussy commie libtard Marxist bitches. No, there's no reason to bring it up except as an example of what they consider hard-core Canadian masculinity.