Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
A new thread seems like a pretty arbitrary decision to make at this time, but ok.

Just don't even put a year in the thread title. Let it run wild and free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yes, seems I lucked out. I got my first Pfizer a few weeks ago at Costco and all I had was less than a day of slight arm soreness.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

redbrouw posted:

Let's make fun of truth and reconciliation in the thread title, terrific idea

I read it as making fun of our government's pathetic attempt at truth and reconciliation, rather than the concept itself.
Not only was the TRC significantly limited in scope (residential schools mostly), but they've barely implemented 10% of the calls to action since the release of the final report.

It has been pointed out that even having 'reconciliation' in the name is a bit of a stretch, implying that there were ever good relations between colonizers and indigenous peoples and that the schools were just a sad interruption to said relations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah 100% agreed with this.

It's one thing I hate when I tell people in the states that I'm a dual citizen and most of my family is Canadian, "Oh that's so cool! You guys are all so nice and it's not nearly as racist or insane there as it is here!" I loving wish.

Try holding that opinion the second any kind of native issue comes up around a bunch of white Canadians. Bonus, go to Halifax or Toronto and tell black Canadians there that they don't deal with nearly as much racism as we do in the states. We'll see how that myth holds up then. I'm not bitter, I just hate the stereotype as well. Lotta things I love about Canada but the myth that everyone is super nice and not problematic at all loving sucks.

I started following Ottawa Citizen news articles when I moved here so I could be more up on local news. The comments are so vile and hateful that I'm not sure I will continue. I think it's important to be reminded of the existence of these views and to speak the truth wherever these liars show up, but it's fighting an endless wave. But then I feel a bit lovely about complaining about it because indigenous and black and other oppressed peoples have been getting this in person for centuries and not just from some idiots in a comments section.

A quick scroll through shows me that the most common 'theory' is that all these children probably would have died from disease or something else anyway, so it doesn't count.

Ottawa also had a recent spate of gang-related shootings. A huge number of the comments are about "3rd world imports" and that we need to "deport all these people".
Canada is racist as gently caress.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

flakeloaf posted:

I think I've found your problem

Alctel posted:

Yeah Canada is racist but newspaper comment sections are inhabited strictly by exceedingly racist old boomers

I actually think this is an issue. It's too easy to downplay it as, "well it's those old racist guys and we'll just have to live with it until they die" kind of thing.
It's an infection of the mind and it's being passed down to younger generations plenty enough. You can get a sense of the demographics by using facebook since it has accounts attached to the comments.

Yes, certainly a good number of them are old white men and women ranting about 3rd-world imports. But there are also plenty of sub-40 year olds in there. Their flavor of racism is slightly different since a lot of them know better than to be too blatant about it, but it's there, and it's strong.
I just don't want to become too optimistic about it being just a matter of time until we inhabit a mostly racism-free utopia or something.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MA-Horus posted:

At a time when parks are being used more than ever before, I bring you the National Post!

https://twitter.com/accessd/status/1400155095808065542?s=19

This seems like a roundabout way of him saying that he wants paid access to parks so that he can enjoy them without the poors messing it up, and sort of trying to use some side nonsense about social housing as cover?

Also loving the extremely weird throwaway defence of John A. MacDonald's racism. Can't even manage to keep the mask on a little bit while ranting about parks.

Fidelitious fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 3, 2021

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://twitter.com/CaptCanuck6/status/1401678889882198019

Good things happen when the community comes together.

According to the views of the intelligentsia on reddit who are adamantly opposed to our local action, the renaming of the SJAM back to its original name: The toppling of this statue of Ryerson is tantamount to erasing history and now no one will know who Ryerson is or what he did.

Seriously though, people want to maintain the SJAM name because of 'history' when it's had that name for less than a decade and people aren't going to forget who loving John A. MacDonald is.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Fried Watermelon posted:

All those trees and all that land are just waiting to be ripped up and sold! Think of all the money you are wasting by leaving nature untouched! We will leave nothing in our wake!

I have to say, this is a real quick follow up from Manitoba to Jesse Kline's "parks are a waste of space" article.
They really took it to heart.

Next up is privatizing sidewalks. It's free money, just sitting there.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Terror Sweat posted:

Not really but jagmeet got a bunch of cheers and people chanted his name for a bit. Its an NDP riding though

It seems a little bad taste for people to be booing and cheering politicians at a vigil for victims of a hate crime, but I guess politics is unstoppable.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wonder what Canada day Ottawa will look like this year. Last year was an irresponsible shitshow and it was scorching to boot.

I realize this describes Ottawa Canada Day every year, mind you.

I know long-term forecasts are a fool's game but so far they're saying it'll be below 30.
So that's something.

I think to really rile people up we should change Canada Day to something like "Remember our Oppression of Indigenous Peoples Day" and then actually treat them as a sovereign nation.
Although that's maybe a bit less celebratory feeling. I guess we could replace Victoria Day instead since it feels anachronistic and I'm much more onboard with Quebec's celebration of the 1837 rebellions against the ruling elite.

Now that's celebratory.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Coxswain Balls posted:

Thanks to the population of Morden and Winkler being dumbfucks, they've opened up their vaccine supersite to walk-ins for second Moderna doses if it's been 28 days since your first shot. I'm guessing nobody local is going in and they want to get their supply used up. I'm gonna head over there in the next day or two since it sounds like they'll be accepting walk-ins all week.

Oh yeah, I assumed being heavily anti-vax would be a thing in Winkler etc.
We're going to be in a situation where general vaccine uptake is like 85-90% but having small areas below 50%. They're going to end up killing their friends and family.

Holy poo poo I actually just checked quickly, Winkler is actually under 25% first dose and the surrounding rural township is under 11%. And that's adults only.
They're going to be keeping their own local waves of covid-19 going for quite a while still, christ.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

So I try to avoid any knowledge of Sun paper personalities. An openly gay ultra-conservative 'journalist' making a switch to notoriously conservative show business, what a world.

Is there a queer equivalent of Uncle Tom?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

The massive ongoing renovation of Parliament Hill, centred on revitalizing and reworking Centre Block as the crown jewel of Canadian democracy, is expected to take until at least 2030 and cost up to $5 billion to complete. On Thursday federal officials leading the renovation project released the final design, scope, and anticipated timelines for completing the project.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/centre-block-renovation-to-take-until-at-least-2030-to-complete-cost-up-to-5b-1.5474574

Lol Jesus it's going to look like a World War 1 trench fortification for the rest of the decade.

Yeah I get it though, I read some previous stuff about this when I first moved to Ottawa. It's crazy, the center block is still full of single pane windows. For Ottawa climate that's outrageous, I can't even imagine what the climate control bills are.

It seems to be a theme that politicians are too scared to put public money towards maintaining government buildings until they're on the verge of collapse and total obsolescence. I do partially understand, the public is stupid and you'd probably get the Canadian Taxpayers Federation all up in arms about "politicians spending money on themselves", but imagine the savings if they had gradually done upgrades over the last century instead of waiting for total collapse and now having to spend 5 billion dollars.

Now we've got the commons and senate displaced for more than a decade, not to mention the same thing occurring with the prime minister's residence.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Yes, it's strange. We've got our own slavery related dates. But memorializing on specific dates, while important, does nothing to change what's happening right this moment anyway.

Reparations and justice takes actual money and political will so that's too hard to do.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

EngineerJoe posted:

That didn't last long:

edit: there's more, someone really must have given him the business.

It's almost like there's a reason that people are trained and hired for the specific role of disseminating information to the public, and even more specifically for health communication.

I'll admit that that communication is generally not flawless either but jesus christ. The genie can't be put back into the bottle and any retractions are just more evidence for the conspiracy theorists.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

InfiniteZero posted:

I read the thread a few times wondering why the gently caress I would care about "Ryan Imgrund" to start with and can't come up with anything.

Because the media loves promoting clout seeking "experts" that they find on twitter and helping them spread their misinformation. Imgrund is notable simply for his astronomical ego.

I think we'd all love to pretend they don't exist but these are the people that create fear around specific brands, vaccine mixing, and who knows what else. They spread non-peer-reviewed opinions, are generally only tangentially qualified to speak about vaccine science/public health, and have no clue about responsible health communications. But they're the ones the media talks to because it's easy access.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Hey wow, this is just like the many times indigenous protestors have blocked highways right? The government response doesn't really seem to be the same though...I wonder why.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Starks posted:

The Catholic church weaseled it's way out of reparations, and should rightfully be pressured into rectifying that. And I think if the government actually did go after them beyond a few Trudeau quips, it would be a good thing. Eg Cut off diplomatic ties with Holy See until they pay up, with interest. But I don't think anything like that is going to happen, it's just going to be "apology pls"

Pressure them to do what, exactly? Give the land back?

I dunno man, maybe they could do the remaining 90% of the calls to action in the TRC for starters.

I don't know that there could ever be an end goal, but I'm picturing something like honoring every treaty that was made or reparations for cases where those treaties are unrecoverable at this point. Actually fixing the reservations that we forced them onto. Disbanding the RCMP. Realistically treating them with the respect that a sovereign nation is due.

Will any of that happen? It's not looking good.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

I do literally nothing in terms of managing my investments besides making additional purchases in the same index funds and my returns for 2020 were 10.15% and 16.21% so far this year.

They should probably hire me to continue to just do nothing or take some lessons from OTPP.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

I had Pfizer for #1 and on the weekend Moderna for #2.

I think it was actually less severe than the first shot, so I made it through both with no significant side effects :)

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Vintersorg posted:

If you haven't already get some blackout blinds. You can get some for the cheap at like Giant Tiger or Wal-mart.

While not useless, I will say that by the time blackouts are doing anything the heat is already in the house. It slows it down but the blinds will heat up as well as the air trapped between them and the window and then it radiates into the room as well as some of the hot air escaping around the edges.
We have a skylight style window in our bedroom (inside the roofline of the house) with blackout blinds. You can feel the heat radiating from the blinds by fairly early in the morning. I de-crystallized some honey by putting it in the window sill, highly effective.

To be most effective you're going to want something on the outside to stop the solar radiation in the first place. But I know that's not really plausible to do for most people.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Just about fell out of my chair when I found myself mostly agreeing with Jerry loving Agar in the sun of all things.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/agar-plenty-of-living-political-leaders-who-should-answer-for-residential-schools

Yeah, he's not wrong but one still gets the vibe that he was really driven to write this because he's upset about statues. Like, we can do both lol

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

One month for murder these days.

To clarify, the cop didn't murder her, he only violently assaulted her while she was restrained. Her death was a drug overdose.
Ok so, he gets a month for assault. But guess what, it's not in prison. Half is house arrest and half is just a curfew lmao.

Assault causing bodily harm is a max of 18 months, prosecutors asked for 9 which is pretty reasonable.
What a farce.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

EvilJoven posted:

The narrative that covid was a bioweapon that escaped from a Chinese lab and infected their own population is something people very much want to be true because it simultaneously fulfills both the Yellow Peril narrative and also "lol China so dumb" narrative.

I think it's more than that even. People want to feel in control, a virus causing a global pandemic just because that's how nature went is a scary thing. If you can believe that it was engineered and released, well that's fine then, because it means we can do something about that, or at least blame someone.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

I was bummed when the Highlander was closed. They got dealt an absolutely awful hand going from one disaster to the next with with the sinkhole, the LRT construction and then Covid just flattening them.

I'm happy that they've been able to move most of the scotch over to Deacon Brodie's but it's not the same.

Off of bars and onto vaccines. I currently have my second Pfizer jab booked for August 16 but I am eligible for a second dose any time after July 14. There's a pharmacy around the corner from my apartment that is accepting walk ins and they're offering Moderna shots. I'm not picky about what goes in my arm but for people who have taken Moderna shots: does it really knock you on your rear end for a few days? I've got vacation time starting next week and I wouldn't mind getting fully vaxxed quicker but I want to know what kind of beat down I can expect from a Moderna jab.

Had Moderna after Pfizer, literally nothing happened besides the requisite sore arm.

So your experience is going to be random no doubt.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Starks posted:

Wait we have an ambassador for circumpolar affairs? What?

We did, not since 2006 though. It was a pretty short-lived position. From what I can tell the role was to represent Canada on the Arctic Council in a more permanent way, and with someone who's actually from the northern regions of Canada and knows what's going on. They cut it for financial reasons and because there was a lot of overlap with existing ambassadors to the nations in the Council. The relevant duties are just done by some civil servant now.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I would rather the senate be dissolved and all of their power given to a First Nations “senate” (or whatever term they wish to use) and we cannot pass law without them and they cannot pass law without us so it better work for everyone.

drat, this is awesome.

On another note, wtf is 'build better'? That doesn't even make sense.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

prom candy posted:

Hot prediction: Ontario going into stage 3 is not going to lead to a significant spike in hospitalizations or deaths, even if it does lead to an increase in cases. Our vax numbers are solid and improving significantly every day. A single dose offers good protection against severe illness (including delta) and a lot of the holdouts are in the demographic that's lower risk for severe covid anyway.

For real, in no way does this phase 3 opening make Ontario in the race for dumbest province. We've had stricter rules (while also being inconsistent and confusing in parts) than most (all?) other provinces and definitely for longer.
These phase 3 rules are still more restrictive than anything BC ever did I believe.

Personally I would have wanted them to wait the whole length of the waiting period and not do it early but it's still acceptable to me. Canada continues to vaccinate well over 1% of the population per day. At some point you gotta roll back the doomsaying.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Beelzebufo posted:

FYI in terms of Variants of Concern

https://www.narcity.com/covid-19-vaccines--variants-new-study-shows-vaccines-are-very-effective-against-4-variants

even one dose has a huge effect on your chance of hospitalization/death. A big danger of COVID has always been it's novelty, because the standard pattern is that exposure in infancy/very young helps prime your immune system for a response, which obviously no one had for COVID. Even with variants, the evidence so far is that the vaccines are really working, so as long as we keep it up, our death rate should be much better even with the spike in cases from reopening.

Don't be stupid, but understand the risk in context.

So this is positive news but I think it's really bad for outlets to be reporting on pre-print non peer reviewed studies. I assume they found it on arxiv or something. This is not all the way through the scientific process yet.
It's probably fine in this case but I don't like it. This is how you get incorrect information blowing up in the press and retractions or updates don't put the genie back in the bottle.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

bunnyofdoom posted:

His sister and Pierre yes, resulting in Justin's half-sister.

His cousin actually. She actually ran against Justin in the 2013 liberal leadership race.

Obviously she was not a serious contender.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

And Brian from today's presser announcing the cabinet shuffle:

~~~~~

The people who came to Canada "didn't come here to destroy anything. They came here to build. They came to build better," he said last week.

On Thursday, Pallister said those comments paid tribute to Canadians and pre-Canada builders.

"I spoke about people who came here with hope to build families and communities. I spoke with sincerity. I spoke genuinely," he said.

"I did not reference colonialism, I did not reference Europeans in any way, shape or form. I was talking about our First Peoples, I was talking about our Métis. I was talking about the people who came after them."

I mean okay, I'm not going to blame the settler John Chitty's and Jean-Baptiste Richelieu's too much, but England and France came here to build via fighting wars against the people that were already here with bonus damage from novel diseases soooo...
I would also love to know how you can talk about Métis peoples while somehow not referencing Europeans at all. Not to mention "the people who came after them" could only be Europeans.
But also, it's literally impossible to talk about the settlers who built Canada while not referencing colonialism. It's the same loving thing, you don't get to pretend that they just kinda showed up and nothing bad happened and boom, there was Canada!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Yeah, it seems like new builds are not worth anything these days.
Our house is 160 years old, I'm pretty sure anything that could happen has already happened. A big renovation was done in 2000 so all the wiring is modern and the plumbing is mostly modern also, and those are the 2 biggies.

I don't think you can get more solid. The foundation is 3 foot thick layers of fieldstone and the main beams are just actual tree trunks.
There isn't a single straight line in the house but I'm okay with that.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

RBC posted:

I lived in a place like that, except it was purpose built as a rental in 1880, and was used as a rental ever since. The basement was dirt, one of the (only) support beams had a huge crack going down the middle, there were two old kerosene tanks in the basement, there was literal rubble all over the basement floor from where the fieldstone was crumbling, and japanese knotweed was growing between the stones.

That place was... not great.

I'll try not to turn this into old house chat.
The huge crack in the beam might not have actually been an issue. It was common in homes of that era to install beams without drying them beforehand because they didn't have a practical way of doing it for something that big. This means the beam would dry in-place and drying wood shrinks and distorts leading to cracks known as 'checking'. In the vast majority of cases this is only a cosmetic issue and isn't a structural concern.

I mean, the rest of it doesn't sound good though.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

Its not exactly hesitancy to get the shot, its hesitancy to get a specific shot. Ontario at least did really well for first shot compliance but second shot seems to be lagging. I cannot stress enough how much of my day is spent answering the phone for people shopping around looking specifically for Pfizer only. Our fully vaccinated population could hit a wall at the current pace and that just makes me angry. Doubly so when I see how eager young people are to get whatever is available despite constantly shouldering the blame by politicians and the media for the slowing vaccination rates and spread of the virus.

I'm so confused as to how this happened. There seems to be a fairly widespread view that Moderna is somehow inferior to Pfizer and it's like it just bubbled up out of nowhere. They're pretty much identical in terms of technology, efficacy, and side effects so what the hell happened? Hell, Moderna could be considered better from a logistics view because it doesn't require as cold temperatures for storage.

Are you allowed to ask why they're looking specifically for Pfizer, and if so what do they usually say?
I wonder if anyone's done a survey to dig into what's driving this.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

I see the French-Canadian hate is alive and well in this thread still.
HOLD ON before you start typing your angry responses!

I'm on board with it not mattering that she doesn't speak both official languages, but the vitriol coming out here is pretty disgusting. If she didn't speak english and there were 400+ complaints about that I do not believe for a second that there would be people responding in the same way in this thread that they are now. I also believe that there would be 10x more complaints than the 400 referenced.

And look, history bears out the reasons for why she doesn't speak french, and I suppose it's symbolically important to have an indigenous person as GG. I hesitate to call it a 'good' move because it's basically a way to look like you're doing something about the treatment of indigenous peoples. Does anyone honestly believe that they would even consider a GG that doesn't speak english? And I'm not talking about the reaction of people in this thread because that's not relevant to the broad reaction of society. Anglophone people lose their poo poo just as easily when a politician answers questions in French or whatever.

This is stream of consciousness here, but I think what I'm saying is that the 'rule' about the type of bilingualism needed for the job is stupid, but within the context of that 'rule' existing, the people complaining have a point.

The problem being that the solution is probably some kind of overhaul to the official language laws but I don't know what that would look like and would probably end up being a disaster to implement.

I'm as anglophone as they come by the way.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

PT6A posted:

It's entirely ridiculous to compare Doug Ford, who speaks exactly one language, to Mary Simon, who speaks two languages, one of which is a language spoken in the territory now known as Canada well before some pale fuckin' settlers decided to step foot anywhere near it; a language which has endured, despite attempts to commit cultural genocide by those same settlers.

This is not an English/French issue. This is about the persistent devaluing of the First Nations and their cultures and languages, right now being done primarily by one specific language group in Canada.

Yikes man, it's pretty out of line to lay that primarily on francophones. The devaluing and attacks have been consistent across all parts of Canadian society and from many different vectors.
It's a pretty outrageous statement to make.

Oxyclean posted:

There's definitely pockets of ACAB, but its a bit more of specific subreddit thing. The Ottawa sub definitely has some of that, but then also has a lot of vocal crazies and/or gets regularly brigaded.

I've seen sporadic crazy stuff relating to hate against indigenous peoples pop up every now and then which seemed brigade style, and it really ramped up around Canada Day.
But it's highly consistent across every big city subreddit that you're going to get shouted down if you try to advocate for actual effective help for the homeless and addicted, or that the police need to be defunded and highly restricted as to when they're dispatched.
There was some modular housing, in Vancouver I believe, set aside to get homeless people off the street and treatment. It's not nearly enough but it's effective in its own small way. But somebody posted a photo/video of one of the tenants breaking a window (in the tenants own unit). That was enough for the comments to fill up with rhetoric against homeless people, that the government should never give out free housing ever again, that they should just let the overdose epidemic "take care of itself" and so on.

These assholes will go on complaining about crime from homeless people and addicts when the solution is right in front of their faces. If you treat homelessness and addiction effectively then surprise! the crime rate goes down.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

It's probably 'fine' to commemorate people who were slaughtered by oppressive regimes but I imagine that the vast majority were peasants that no one can provide the name of so you're basically left with the issue that most of the names left are horrible nazis.

Anyway, I'm in Ottawa so I promise to vandalize the poo poo out of any suspect names that end up on there.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Entropic posted:

The governor-generalship is an inconsequential sinecure, change my mind.

What actually changes policy-wise for native people in Canada with a native woman getting the rubber-stamping ribbon-cutting job vs some white guy?

There is some sort of value that comes from political symbolism, but I think in this case it's pretty low.
The government has still not fulfilled even half of the TRC actions so a figurehead appointment doesn't come off too well in light of that.

I also don't believe that there can ever be what might be considered full reconciliation until indigenous peoples have political power on equal footing with the colonizer government.
I don't remember who proposed it, but I was pretty onboard with replacing the Senate with a 100% indigenous senate-like house whose members are appointed by their nations in some sort of representative fashion.

That would certainly get the attention of some people.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Randalor posted:

I mean, technically couldn't the GG veto everything (or just refuse to rubberstamp anything) until the Canadian government at least starts upholding their end of the treaties and agreements?

It would be a political nightmare I'm sure but I expect the only outcome of that would be the Queen dismissing the GG.

Continuing my thoughts, they should also make an exception to the bilingualism requirements for indigenous candidates for the Supreme Court etc. as well as at the very least adding some number of indigenous seats to the senate and commons. PEI gets ludicrous overrepresentation while indigenous peoples get 0.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

I understand most of it as "haha Alberta decisions" or things that other places have also done, but no isolation required on a positive test is absolutely bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

flakeloaf posted:

It is a great day for catholicism, my interesting internet acquaintances.

Arson is bad. Do not do an arson. Recognize a situation where you can purse your lips grimly, and nod, and understand why someone ELSE might think it would be good to start some fires, but recognize that this is ultimately bad, and then resolve to not do bad things.

So not fired, never to work again for the catholic church. No, just banned from embarrassing them again.

I'm not saying you should arson, but I'm also not saying you shouldn't.