Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

DnD not being moderated anymore or did they rehire that guy again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

A Chicago friend was saying his insurance company sent him a bill for the free vaccine administered by a NG member. I suspect fear of medical bills plays a large part.

(He told them to pound sand.)

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

vyelkin posted:

I think this is broadly accurate. White Canadians think of residential schools as strict boarding schools where children occasionally died. You don't have to look very far for this, that's the crux of what Sassafrass said in a particularly callous way a few pages ago. If white Canadians acknowledge it as genocide at all, they acknowledge it as cultural genocide that tried to eradicate indigenous culture, not as physical genocide that murdered countless children. This kind of news, the physical remains of dead children in numbers people previously didn't realize, is the only kind of thing that breaks through that cozy feeling of "well we did something bad but it wasn't that bad, really".

Even if you are a Canadian that believes they were really bad and were a genocide, you still were probably not actually expecting an unmarked mass grave of children that had kids dumped into it within living memory.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

PT6A posted:

I mean, no offence meant, but what is the other possibility? We knew children would simply “disappear” so where exactly did you think they were ending up?

None taken it is a huge blind spot. I went to school earlier than some in the thread.

I suppose I figured when kids died there was some record of it and the parents were notified, and the police just ignored the murders. Not literal Pickton farms.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

You know Doug McCallum would have built them whatever they want too so I’m kinda glad that timing didn’t work out.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

What caused the independence support collapse?

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

mediaphage posted:

you have it backwards; it's exploded

Ironically this now makes perfect sense. :laffo:

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j3SChqp51Y

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

DynamicSloth posted:

Every flavour of neoliberal hegemon in North America be they Democrat, Republican, Liberal, Conservative or New Democrat has approached the pandemic in precisely the same manner, viewing it as a balancing act between the economy and public health. Now plainly none of them achieved what they wanted because that's a fundamentally brain broken way to approach a public health crisis, but there's enough of an illusion of difference that most of their traditional voting blocks think we weren't all trying the same abysmal approach long after other countries provided superior models.

Having failed fundamentally, the next policy non-distinction will be learning to live with chronic Covid.

To a greater or lesser extent, every state and provincial government in North America has realized they are in a prisoner's dilemma. Since the US is the way it is, pursuing a Covid zero strategy is a futile effort. The policy goal was obviously; 1) Keeping the lights on and avoiding the need to bulldoze mass graves in metro areas; 2) wait until vaccines got to a certain % of the pop and just deal with it from there.

Whatever BC did or didn't do, it wasn't going to change what happened next door or anywhere to the south of us.

The blaming of youth on not getting vaccinated is dumb and annoying, but my 17 has already had two shots so the 20 year olds being the end of the line is probably not much of an excuse anymore. (Kelowna's actual problem is that it is filled with old people and is basically a suburb of Calgary.)

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

They are still banned from Federal contracts, no? Or did Trudeau actually succeed when he interfered with that?

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

In this case, the governing party does have some advantages as the head office can tell the riding associations to have their nominee ready by DATE which just happens to be when the writ is called. Everyone else is reading tea leaves.

That said, it is Calgary so take a look at who the Liberals are running there before judging the NDP too harshly for who they are running. Riding associations are kinda stuck working with what they’ve got in the area.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

BC's microcosm of the Canadian "at least we're better than X" identity never stops being amusing/infuriating. They're no better than Alberta.

Alberta recently attempted to remove the need to isolate if you currently have Covid.

BC is certainly not doing this perfect, but it is still legit better than next door.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

tagesschau posted:

I hate seeing this repeated as though it implies vaccinated people aren't any less likely to transmit the virus. They're much less likely to get infected, and even if they do get infected, their viral load is slightly lower and they don't remain infectious for quite as long. So vaccinated people are indeed much less likely to transmit the virus.

At that point, you are in risk management territory which is a thing as a species we are REALLY bad at dealing with. Additionally I feel that there are a LOT of people that think vaccinated = immune, since that is generally how vaccines are perceived to work and media has incorrectly leaned that way (though not universally so.)

I would rather err on the side of being overly cautious on the risk of infection among the vaccinated.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

ZShakespeare posted:

That being said I'm not aware of any organizations that operate in that space, have good politics, and can utilize computer touchers ( maybe because computer touchers seem to mostly be libertarian poo poo heads?)

It won’t specifically help the NDP but if you are a leftist computer toucher, it is important to talk about your politics with your fellow computer touchers. The libertarian techbros are just the loudest, they don’t speak for everyone and alternative voices need to speak up.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

O'toole doesn't strike me as anything other than a milqetoast Conservative, however they certainly have someone in their communication department (and elsewhere I presume) that is 100% a Nazi.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

shades of eternity posted:

The problem is we've seen it work.

See Rob Ford

That is a load bearing use of 'work' there.

I am now imagining a world where Ford was just a slightly odd mayor of Toronto, without the media making sure the world was aware of what he got up to after 6PM.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Rebel was already platformed by the debate. Answering a question, telling them to piss off or asking who farted is just theatre.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

tagesschau posted:

On what basis? The prime minister has always had significant leeway to advise the governor general, and even in granting the prorogation, she required there to be a confidence vote pretty quickly after Parliament resumed.

The unfortunate fact is the Liberals couldn’t keep their own party in check for 6 weeks (or however long it was) making her decision the correct one. That coalition wouldn’t have survived their second vote.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Hey D&D how're we doin this afternoon

Nevermind, carry on

It is made weirder as I think they all agree with one another, but are so mad about it they cannot tell.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Typo posted:

Canada doesn't even have gerrymandering, but the Libs have like 40 more seats than their % of popular vote would indicate. The discrepancy might legit be worse than the gerrymandered US house map.

That skew occurs because the CPC run up the score in the prairies, which is less a systemic issue (considering we will never get away from FPTP) and more of a regional social issue.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I know it was short notice but was there even all that much variance on policy this election?

This election had the least amount of policy differences between CPC-Lib-NDP that I have ever seen. (For a layman that is never going to read any of their policy documents.)

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

I am sort of curious, since the Chinese government didn't really even try to put a fig leaf over it, how big of a pay day are those two guys looking at once they are home?

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Trapick posted:

From who?

I assume that the Chinese government has assets (perhaps not though) in Canada.

Maybe Huawei, but I assume that would be an order of magnitude tougher to prove.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Obviously these guys were on a list of some kind but if the security system had grounds to charge them with spying why did they not arrest them earlier? They decided to ignore these people, potentially for years, when they had grounds to charge them?

They must be serious security risks if they're allowed to continue undermining the security of the state until it was politically correct to arrest them.

Presumably if they were assets of some type, it was of the variety that just about every country (with interests) inserts into just about every other country (where they have interests.) China certainly has similar activities going on over here, and it's likely mostly benign influence gathering. It gets played up as quite a sinister thing in the media, but I have trouble accepting that every instance of a foreign actor trying to influence something in that foreign entities favour is de facto worst than what Alberta does to itself.

We're not talking about 007 stuff here.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Normy posted:

All the homeowners have to die eventually then it's payday!

Blackrock will never die unfortunately.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

How do you look French?

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

infernal machines posted:

You know the hole they dug that led them to re-brand as Meta? No one has learned anything.

These are the things they believe, they're just normal folks, and they don't have anyone holding their reins because they don't see any reason for someone to do that.

Who would complain? That is entirely consistent with Facebook executive leadership.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Alctel posted:

This is 100% accurate

Also in more cheerful news, Canada may actually make the world cup for the first time in like 30 years! Super stoked (even though the event itself is going to be an unbelievable shitshow this time around)

edit: also this has already been mentioned upthread but the current BCNDP gov is actually 'ok' overall*, while failing in a number of spectacularly lovely ways they've put through a large number of actually good policies as well (although a lot of those are stapling the province back together after years of basically being run by an organised money laundering ring), you can't really compare them to AB, MN or ONs current governments

*does not apply to anything to do with resource extraction in which they are awful

Kinda my own sentiment as well. I am not going to consider it a governance failure to accurately predict that a mudslide is going to happen or a road is going to wash out. This is only notable since so many of them happened during the same storm. And considering the BC Libs aren't even rumbling about the same poo poo as this thread should probably give you an idea of how they would have handled it.

The storm that did this was the second "OMFG we are all going to die"* rain storm to hit the PNW this month. Nobody is getting worked about about rain here, even if we should.

* our media is so stupid and every storm is the coming apocalypse and frankly I don't pay any attention to it anymore.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

The BC NDP govern like the Federal Liberals more than anything else.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

infernal machines posted:

Anyway, I always look to this thread for the freshest, most learned takes on Sino-Global relations.

Maybe we can get some of the climate threads excess moderation or something.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Femtosecond posted:

There's some sort of Realtor -> Bitcoin/NFT -> Anti-vaxx pipeline going on. Seen in amongst realtor Vancouver RE bulls too.

I dunno maybe there's some thing where for a while they were a rare RE bull amidst so many calls of a housing bubble, and in 2020/2021 they've seen housing rip and their side interest in Bitcoin, which media also says is a scam, also do great. Now they think they're some sort of outsider genius, and are skeptical of all the other things that the mainstream is saying. Mainstream media was wrong about Re/bitcoin right?

Or maybe they're just stupid and realtor is a profession for stupid people.

Not sure there needs to be an "Or maybe" here.

Certainly a lot of it is just chasing gains where everything is speculative in the first place.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Teenagers can just go get vaccinated in BC and do not require consent from their guardian.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Have I got this correct?

In order to not mandate the vaccine, they are going implement a tax on the unvaccinated which is going to create a cottage industry of forged out of province vaccination certs? Since this will be tax evasion, the enforcement of which has to be equal or greater cost than the enforcement any mandate might have been?

Neoliberalism is just brain worms top to bottom.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Unlike summer vacation, the current situation is less being free from the shackles of education but being stuck in a significantly worse educational setting. I am not writing letters to the editor about my kids mental health, but dismissing that some kids are struggling is idiotic.

Everyone is struggling with their mental health at the moment, our kids are no exception.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

enki42 posted:

Definitely blundstones don't seem at all like winter boots to me. Feels a lot like prioritizing fashion over functionality if you're out in the snow in those.

I got a pair of columbia boots like 10 years ago that aren't particularly cool or noteworthy looking (they look like the most generic 'hiking boot' type thing imaginable), but they're built great and well insulated.

Someone earlier mentioned Doc Martens so I assume actual winter boots was definitely not a criteria.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So they dropped all COVID restrictions and also passed anti-mask and anti-vax legislation? hosed up if true.

Obviously it's not. Holy poo poo stop being hyperbolic. The changes in BC's COVID management policies and recommendations bear zero resemblance to what's happening in Florida.

BC is still a bad province though, but this isn't the reason for it.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

PittTheElder posted:

At least they're committing fewer sexual assaults than the Canadian military?

They're still truckers, we aren't comparing them to the RCMP.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

One weird trick to defeating tow operators. Apply the brakes.

Why has no one ever thought of this before?

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

MNIMWA posted:

The online right started freaking out because Trudeau said some anti-vaxxers are anti-science, and so on

https://westernstandardonline.com/2021/12/trudeau-calls-the-unvaccinated-racist-and-misogynistic-extremists/

That led Jorb Peterson to start freaking out, along with Bernier and the rest

Yeah the right wing in Canada only started to freak out about Trudeau in December of 2021.

jesus loving christ, can you people go home?

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

MNIMWA posted:

I'm talking about the specific freak out where they're mad about him disrespecting anti vaxxers, not one of the many earlier freakouts

ETA: and that one freak out I'm referencing is probably just the latest one where they were mad at how he characterized them (accurately) as morons

Well, I am sure this freak out was fundamentally different than those times they freaked out when he said "Hello, I'm Justin Trudeau" or "ummm..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Acerbatus posted:

There are def still saying trudeau is slandering her with false claims lol how do you even deal with people like that.

There is video of a CPC politician talking to the press with a swastika waving in the background, within the last two weeks (maybe three now). Just roll the tape.