Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Same. Got Pfizer this past Wednesday and had a sore upper arm that day and the day after, but no other side effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

I distinctly remember being shown the movie "Where The Spirit Lives" in high school sometime in the late 90s. In retrospect it probably toned things down compared to the horrors that actually occurred, but it was my first time hearing about the schools so it was a start.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

mediaphage posted:

the cops just gave a press conference; the family was targeted explicitly because they were muslims

but yeah we don't have a racism problem here

It just occurred to me that the perpetrator was arrested really close to the London Islamic School and Mosque. Might just have been a coincidence, but if not, it's horrible to think it could've been much worse.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Got shot #2 today. Moderna, to go with the Pfizer one I got first. Just a sore arm right now, but I'm prepared to feel in rougher shape tomorrow.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Just in case anybody is worried about second Moderna for some reason, it did indeed suck a lot, but symptoms for me and everyone I know have been limited to just 24 hours.

Basically my experience. Moderna was my second shot which I got on Saturday afternoon. Yesterday was pretty rough with a variety of things like chills, aches, and nausea. Not the worst I've ever felt but not pleasant. Last night I had some night sweats, but today I'm more or less back to normal besides feeling a bit tired.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Who was the French singer from the 80s dressed like a clown? I’ve been wondering for 32 years when my grade 1 teacher brought his music in.

The only clown I remember from my school days was videocassettes of Sol the Clown, but I doubt he could sing very well.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

infernal machines posted:

I just checked and Mandarin doesn't appear to exist outside of the GTA, so it's quite possible at least half the thread has no idea what this is a reference to.

I can confirm there are two of their restaurants in London, which I don't think is part of the GTA yet.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Finally back after being in Rogers purgatory here in southwestern Ontario (probably came back sometime during the night, but whatever). Seems a bit slower than before, but at least it's working.

I currently have a hybrid job and yesterday was my day to go into the office anyways, so the system failing didn't affect me thankfully enough, but I felt bad for those that had to make an unexpected trip in. I'm just glad the office uses Bell. It would've been "fun" if we relied on Rogers there too.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Spoilers because this may be horrifying to some, but I actually don't think pizza from Little Caesars is all that bad, so long as you order it fresh.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

A large part of trains sucking now is because VIA has mostly been left to rot by budget cuts and neglect while also having to share basically every line - most of which is single-tracked by the private owners - with the freight companies. And that's assuming the train even still runs to wherever you want to go since only the major cities, and towns that the tracks between major cities happen to run through, are still serviced by VIA. Extreme weather is of course a force that even the best-run railroads can't avoid by it certainly doesn't help.

Shame because trains are the greatest ally in the War on Cars but oh well, add another lane to the highway that'll fix traffic.

Honestly, whenever I have to go to Toronto (I live a couple hours away), I still much prefer taking the train to the stress of highway driving or the cost and hassle of flying. I just think it's comfier and more relaxing, especially if you order a bit of alcohol onboard. Maybe I've been lucky too, but the past few months any delays have been minimal. Just the usual waiting for a bit while a freight train rolls through, which is tolerable. At least there hasn't been anything like the disaster a few months ago where you had a train lose power between cities trapping people for like eight hours or so. I wonder if VIA's been making extra-sure since then that their trains are fully functional before sending them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

KingKalamari posted:

You couldn't make Blazing Saddles today...Because Mel Brooks is 97 and absolutely should not be doing multi day shoots out in the middle of the California desert. Seriously, are you trying to kill the man?

Seriously though, I think the other thing this decision addresses that isn't being discussed is how all of the main works taught in high school English classes that deal with themes of racism and slavery were written by white people. I think if this ban forces English classes to teach the works of black authors instead it would definitely be a step in the right direction...

Yeah, I actually did have to read through both Underground to Canada and To Kill a Mockingbird when I was in school. I feel even now that reading them was a net positive overall (my knowledge of the Underground Railroad and Jim Crow-era US was pretty much zilch before reading them), but I also understand the idea that teaching books by black authors that cover the same territory would likely be more authentic. Plus, there's the benefit of expanding the number of authors students could be familiar with.