Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

The local newspaper had a spin about how parents are fed up with online learning and were demanding kids be sent to school ASAP.

Like, really? It seems like such a dumb move with only like 3 weeks left of school. What benefit could it possibly have that isn't joined with increased risk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

My husband and I are both Pfizer first Moderna second. I had no side effects for either, but my husband got really feverish and chills for like 30 hours after, then he bounced back.

When I called to make the appointment I was specifically asked to agree not to leave of the vaccine wasn't my first choice, and lo it wasn't and there was a woman there saying she wouldn't accept the Moderna vaccine and left.

My husband is American and we still don't care about the mix and match, we both consider it better to be double vaxxed than piss around about needing the preferred choice. I'm not taking my chances with variants.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

apatheticman posted:

https://twitter.com/Lorian_H/status/1423380130836226050?s=20

Politics as a team sport is literally going to kill people.

Yay Alberta.

I couldn't help but just mentally replace reading those tweets as a baby crying.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/bitcoin-mining-black-rock-petroleum-company-1.6106978

quote:

Up to one million mining machines, or rigs, entering Alberta would represent a significant chunk of China's prior total mining capacity, experts say, with major impacts in energy consumption in the province. 

Alex de Vries, a researcher and economist who runs the cryptocurrency analytics website Digiconomist, said the move to Alberta would represent a multi-billion dollar investment using fossil fuels as a power source.

Cool, cool, just using fossil fuels to make crypto trash. I wonder why they chose Alberta :allears:

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I don't get what he's supposed to be doing. He's holding a black sharpie to a full page document.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Lotta people in this thread seem to want a Conservative govt.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

They will not, but as always the cons are worse.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

pokeyman posted:

He wants either vaccination or constant annoying testing. Call it anti-vax if you like but there's a bit more to it.

I wonder how much more expensive rapid testing is to upkeep vs. vaccines we already purchased. Hmmm.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

InfiniteZero posted:

Serious question (not having read much of the documentation from them yet):

What is the "UR" thing in "Secure the Future" supposedly represent? I see a limp swastika. Is it supposed to be a paperclip? Is it supposed to be a tap sitting in an empty sink? Is it just incompetent design filling whitespace beside "Secure"?

Have they explained it at all (yes, I get the "it's a limp swastika!" thing -- but I don't think they've actually said that out loud)?

I think I understand why the maple leaf tilts to the right in the "C" though.

It looks like it's trying to be either a lock or chain. Judging from the overall work from the Graphic Designer they have, it may indeed just be a bored graphic designer trying to do something visually catchy because they want something portfolio "creative" Source: I'm a Graphic Designer, everybody is always talking about their portfolio.

Additionally, the magazine poster is v. for the portfolio! type material.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 16, 2021

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I feel like even if the feds had made one, it would be necessary to advertise it to the provinces. Which would be considered an offense and lead to less vaccine passport mandates, since we live in the contrarian world. Just making one would be considered equal to enforcing one.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 1, 2021

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

With that many paste eaters at a rodeo, I imagine the on site vet will need added security to their on hand supply. :allears:

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

The problem is, it is the responsibility of journalism to point it out from the sidelines, though they likely won't. The CPC want another party to do it, to show them as pedants, over-worried with form over function. Just like with the spelling error filled pamphlet that would get a professional designer fired for not noticing. It's obvious ploy tactics.

EDIT: I went through journalism post sec. Got my piece of paper and never entered the field because the whole thing is a shitshow and every bit of my education catered to keeping it that way.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 7, 2021

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Yes to higher minimum wage? No? gently caress off.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Formity forms forms form.

It's the most bureaucratic thing I've ever dealt with in my life, getting statements, dating pictures, written and signed personal essay of intent, finger printing and criminal clearance from county of origin, biometrics for Canada, doctors assessment yet to come. Work history and income, employer endorsement.And roughly 50 pages of forms filled, that changed part way through our process and required updating.

This is for my husband. Been well over a year, he is still in limbo.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 5, 2021

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

are you born in Canada or did you go through the PR system yourself? because I've heard they've been really a lot more annoying about letting PR sponsor other PR the last while :/

also covid slowed a whole bunch of poo poo down

I'm Canadian born, yes, and yeah I've heard that too. But I believe our delay has more to do with covid than anything else.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Love the Ford govt. lack of awareness, just going to make the same mistakes of opening it up while it looks good.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I don't go out socially, I haven't since this whole thing began and I don't know that I will for some time yet. I still mask outdoors, I put the mask on when I leave the house and it doesn't come off until I am back. But everybody else is pretty much pandemic's over. Bars and restaurants are packed. More people wear masks under their nose indoors, nobody wears them outdoors, though I can't be surprised there.

I get that some people are "done with this poo poo" but I refuse to give an inch while the risks are still death, even double vaccinated.

Also laughed when the fake exemptions lovely Dr's were supplying in BC included Atopy related illnesses when mine have generally improved with masking.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 28, 2021

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

tagesschau posted:

The risk of severe illness or death if you're fully vaccinated is truly insignificant unless you're immunocompromised.

Some of my daily medications are immunosuppressive, to what degree I'm not sure, but I'm still at a higher risk.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Capri Sunrise posted:

Are you waiting until complete COVID 0? I'm sort of skeptical that will occur personally - I think it's always going to be an existing risk even 5-10+ years from now. It's of course a personal choice but I do wonder what approach the more stringent individuals will take if the horizon kicks out for years or it just becomes a regular occurrence like other airborne illnesses.

While I comply with all of the rules etc. I'm a point where meeting with friends, catching a baseball game etc. are all reasonable risks (especially with such a low risk of severe complications at my age and vaccination status).

I am also a public sector worker who has to be in the office 3x a week with many colleagues present as well.

I don't know yet know how I feel about the long term but I am comfortable with the measures I do take, as I said masking actively helps me, even if we reached covid 0 I would still mask up now for my health. I guess though as well, I can't goto restaurants or bars due to dietary restrictions anyway, I live where I have no family, so calls and video chat with family were already the norm. I already had restrictions on my life due to my health and situation, so I guess that little bit more doesn't bug me as much. I already shrugged at going to the theatre to see something, covid existing as a known just makes the choice definitive not to go. Full hermit doesn't bug me, but I know it's not for everyone, but again my existing medical conditions has meant some level of isolation my entire life, it was impossible for me to miss things that other people enjoy freely anyway.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

It's like trying to invoke the boogieman of a good time.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Truth and Reconciliation! no not like that.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Just gotta say I'm so tired of provinces wanting to be "A nation within a nation." It's always about being lovely or continuing to be lovely. Sorry Moe, we need to get off of oil and gas at some point.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/sask-moe-autonomy-1.6242880

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Part of me feels like it's a cover for when Cons are actually caught with background props.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Kenney to change COVID-19 rules, says his own Christmas plan would violate current restrictions

quote:

EDMONTON -

Alberta will relax COVID-19 restrictions next week so more people can gather together for Christmas, Premier Jason Kenney said.

Kenney detailed his own Christmas plans Friday, which he said would not comply if he left current fourth-wave restrictions in place.

"I'll be gathering with three family members, we're all fully vaccinated, come from three households, only four people. But we wouldn't be able to do that based on the current rules," he said at a hospital announcement in Calgary. Kenney didn't detail the changes, but said they would be a "modest, common sense relaxation."

He promised an announcement on Tuesday, when Alberta's current state of emergency is set to expire.

The province had 70 COVID-19 patients in ICU on Wednesday, down from 266 on Sept. 28.

The premier said he wants to see the total number of ICU admissions fall below 173. There were 183 patients in the ICU as of Monday, according to provincial data.
"That number is important, because that allows us to go to 100 per cent of surgical capacity. We no longer have to set aside beds for COVID patients, for example," he said.

Kenney said the province needs to be cautious with the Omicron variant now circulating, but said he wants Albertans to be able to celebrate the holidays.

"I don't want to create a situation where we have millions of Albertans violating the rules, when we're not in a current emergency situation," he said.

"We do expect there will be future waves. There will be a fifth wave at some point."

The premier applauded citizens for following rules that helped to flattened the fourth wave of infections, and said he expects "voluntary compliance" from Albertans on the new plan.

"We're not a police state. Unlike Australia and other places, we are not going to put a cop on every corner to check people's papers," he said.

Kenney and health officials in Alberta have been previously criticized for relaxing restrictions too soon, and the premier apologized in September for moving the province from a pandemic to an endemic response.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/kenney-to-change-covid-19-rules-says-his-own-christmas-plan-would-violate-current-restrictions-1.5702646

Don't want to change my plans, don't want to be found out, may as well change the rules.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 11, 2021

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

One of many things that bugs me about the Quebec racist bill indeed, if you're going to be secular, then dammit be secular, none of this Christians are the default, it's fiiiiine, bs.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

My in-laws are supposed to be coming up from the US to see us after Christmas, I have such mixed feelings about the whole thing.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

If they're already there for a test, they might engage in commerce! win-win!

As an added bonus, exposure of people already in the store to potentially covid-positive people, just means they'll return for repeat business later! :thumbsup:

Syfe fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 24, 2021

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

It bears mentioning that the CDC recommendation is not based on fact but on Delta Airlines request.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/29/1068731487/delta-ceo-asks-cdc-to-cut-quarantine

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I just saw the BC news on school, holy poo poo that's hosed up. My sister is a high risk teacher who's vaccinated but was told her immunity would still be negligible and this was before boosters were a glimmer. I know she currently still works from home because she has the medical proof to back up her claims, but I also know her boss has fought her on it and doesn't like it.

The very idea that we are regressing on our stances on sick days because of this is hosed up, I am not as immunocompromised as my sister but still tend to get sick more often than the general populace for my own medical reasons. I would hope we would become more compassionate not less, humans loving suck.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 8, 2022

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I keep seeing "learning to live with it" articles, but like okay? We still need to curb things as to not back up the hospital's with covid cases and the domino effect that has, but everything seems to imply that learning to live with it will somehow work out okay. Without acknowledging the reason why restrictions are actually necessary, it's just people crying over "normal".

Also on immunocompromised, my sister takes immune suppression medications and was told her vaccines likely didn't do much, she still got them all, but because of her meds it's negligible at best.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Entropic posted:

I guarantee you everyone in Thunder Bay knows what a block heater is.

I'm moving back to Thunder Bay with my husband who has not experienced extreme cold. Trying to explain to him we will need to plug in our car has been a horribly trying experience, he simply does not understand why it's necessary.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Yeah I don't see Poilievre winning a federal election, haha.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 1, 2022

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

EngineerJoe posted:

Toronto police suggesting healthcare workers avoid looking like healthcare workers to avoid attracting the attention of the covoy

https://twitter.com/Anikoul/status/1489307983892865027

From noisily banging pots and pans in show of support, to this. I feel like there is a non-zero chance there are people who both cheered them on, and protested them threateningly.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

"Good people on both sides"
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/bergen-pushed-o-toole-to-back-convoy-saying-there-are-good-people-on-both-sides-sources-1.5768337

quote:

OTTAWA -- Interim Conservative Leader Candice Bergen pushed predecessor Erin O’Toole to show support for the Freedom Convoy protest, arguing last week there are “good people on both sides,” an echo of the phrase made infamous by former U.S. president Donald Trump after a Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Va., in 2017.

Bergen also told O’Toole and other members of the Conservative shadow cabinet that there were “reasonable people” at the truckers’ protest, just as there were in the violent attack on the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021.

Her remarks came during a meeting of the party’s priorities and planning committee in a boardroom of Parliament’s West Block. O’Toole was present at the meeting but didn’t directly respond, according to sources who were present.

Some in attendance were surprised she would evoke the Trump phrase in the context of the truckers’ convoy, which had yet to reach Ottawa.

The sources told CTV News that Bergen believed any political risk Conservative MPs might face if they attended or publicly offered support would be limited as long as they avoided any potentially inflammatory symbols.

As it happened, on Saturday, Alberta Conservative MP Michael Cooper was interviewed by CBC News with a flag bearing a swastika in the background. He later issued a press release condemning the symbols of hate seen at the protest.

Although O’Toole was first reticent about aligning with the protest, he did meet individually with some truckers last week, at a truck stop about an hour’s drive outside of Ottawa.

Bergen’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment Friday.

I definitely hate her.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Can't wait to see how all this lifting of restrictions plays out, especially mask mandates. Weather isn't quite hospitable enough for people to just flow outdoors. Also no idea how Fall will look in the end. I love that we're just done trying to save people or help hospital burden. Nope, it's time to learn to live with the virus and it will see our valiant signal and retreat, no doubt.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Alt-Right conservatives, a protected class.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Isn't this Triumph of the Swill like deeply unpopular right now in Canada?

I'm honestly amazed your government that has vast support to do something about this is just paralyzed by a couple racist morons.

...is it really because they're white and probably old? My god have FYGM boomers infected every liberal democracy with entropy?

My guess would be they are politically locked, from not hearing the end of it from the Conservatives if they do something about it (and creating either sound bytes or attack ads)*, to getting yelled at for not doing anything about it. But ultimately because if they sprung super early the cons were going to beat their chests over THEIR VOTERS not being heard.

Because the mandate lifting in conservative provinces and lack of political will there is mostly because it's some core voter base they don't want to lose.

*This was going to happen anyway.

The Dark Project posted:

I am really surprised people haven't just started to rain down bricks and cinder blocks onto the trucks below from high roof tops. The amount of tolerance towards these idiots has been astounding.

See, now those people would face repercussions.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/MelissaL...1widget%3DTweet

I wonder what changed that she finds the idea offensive.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

bltzn posted:

You can have them, America.

They're just trying to shore up the difference after the GQP voters died of covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Tying a confidence vote to it was good though, because then they can't come back with "this should have been an election issue!"