Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I just finished Look to Windward. I enjoyed the characters here and connected with them more than I did in Excession. I know some people like Excession because it shows how the minds work and think, but I actually feel that Look to Windward does a better job here. I also enjoyed the overall feeling of melancholy, as it helps cut through the general sense of “everyone is happy and can do anything” you can get from the average culture citizen’s life.

The ending was solid too and I feel that Banks landed this one better than many of his other Culture books up to this point - I especially enjoyed the whale dude getting resurrected 230 million years after he was murdered, and the reveal that the copilot backup was a Special Circumstances agent from the start. There’s also more flirting with the sublimed here, along with the tantalizing whispers that The Culture has some sublimed contacts too.

Overall very enjoyable. I did Matter out of order so Surface Detail is next. I’ve skipped Inversions for now since I’m not a big fantasy fan and it seems the book is a lot more fantasy than sci fi, but I may come back to it after Surface Detail or Hydrogen Sonata.

I largely agree with your take. LtW is a better book with better characters but Excession is still a fun glimpse into minds making GBS threads themselves.

Inversions is definitely not fantasy, it is just low tech sci fi: 17th-19th century societies dealing with Culture agents. It's similar to Matter in that sense, but the culture agents are fully incognito and there's no overt overarching high level conflict. I think it works pretty well despite the limited scope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I largely agree with your take. LtW is a better book with better characters but Excession is still a fun glimpse into minds making GBS threads themselves.

Inversions is definitely not fantasy, it is just low tech sci fi: 17th-19th century societies dealing with Culture agents. It's similar to Matter in that sense, but the culture agents are fully incognito and there's no overt overarching high level conflict. I think it works pretty well despite the limited scope.

Inversions is still fantasy, it's just fantasy with no magic except for Sufficiently Advanced Technology, and then only one or twice. I really enjoy it.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Just finished Surface Detail. I certainly enjoyed some parts (most parts with the Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints for example), and I enjoyed the ending that showed that Zakalwe's plans from Use of Weapons to live forever has just led to him going insane, and I liked the deeper dive into afterlives and the idea that some places would have hells, but I could have done without some of the more graphic descriptions of hell. I get that's probably just me - just not a fan of gore, and found the sanctuary parts of hell to be a lot more interesting than the "Everything is blood and razor wire and the razor wire is people who are always screaming" stuff.

I feel like the Yime storyline should have gone more places - it kinda peaked with the Bulbitian parts and then just faded into the ether.

Overall not my favorite and I wouldn't recommend it as a first Culture book, but I'm glad I read it and it was mostly enjoyable. I've gotta catch up on my podcasts the next week or two, and then Hydrogen Sonata is next.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I enjoy the personal take that Zakalwe from Use of Weapons is just a mind-wiped Bora Horza Gobuchul, redeployed by Culture Special Circumstances. If one enemy agent was able to do that much damage and almost succeed totally unsupported like in Consider Phlebas, imagine what that person could do with real support and training of the Culture.

It's become almost joke content, however it's been another year, and still no release of THE CULTURE: NOTES AND DRAWINGS volume one or two. It's non-release is starting to resemble The Last Dangerous Visions territory.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Finished Hydrogen Sonata. I think Banks did a pretty good job of making a book about subliming without ruining the mystery of the sublime. Nothing anyone does in the book matters at all, but I guess that's typical of the series. I think the book should have ended before showing Vyr Cossont wondering around for a bit before loving off to wherever - just have everyone make the big trip to 7D or whatever and end the book. I also think the tone is a little gung ho for the setting - I enjoyed the melancholy tone of Look to Windward and I'd be interested in seeing a take on Hydrogen Sonata with that same melancholy tone.

I have Inversions left which I was unsure of before but now that I'm officially out of novels it's looking more promising. I'll probably get through that and then post my thoughts on the series in general :justpost:

I do appreciate the thought that you can avoid going insane from living forever just by being cynical enough.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I enjoyed the ending that showed that Zakalwe's plans from Use of Weapons to live forever has just led to him going insane,

Haven't read it in a while, but how did you get the spoilered part? My memory is Zakalwe is working as a subversive in the war over hells. He's ostensibly on the anti-hell side but everything he does "accidentally" fails so the pro-hell side gains points or whatever. My memory is that being pro-hell is in character for Zakalwe, and is part of what sets him apart from the rest of the Culture.

I really enjoyed Surface Detail, despite the excessive time spent in hell. I liked the way so many of the scenes have a surface detail that is separate from what's really going on. I liked the ship, especially "Oh, this fight is already over, I'm just showing you the slowed down version because its cool" and also the tattoos being a drone that ends up saving the day. A lot of fun stuff there, but Look to Windward is a better book in maybe every way except stuff like action and villains.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Finished Hydrogen Sonata. I think Banks did a pretty good job of making a book about subliming without ruining the mystery of the sublime. Nothing anyone does in the book matters at all, but I guess that's typical of the series. I think the book should have ended before showing Vyr Cossont wondering around for a bit before loving off to wherever - just have everyone make the big trip to 7D or whatever and end the book. I also think the tone is a little gung ho for the setting - I enjoyed the melancholy tone of Look to Windward and I'd be interested in seeing a take on Hydrogen Sonata with that same melancholy tone.

I have Inversions left which I was unsure of before but now that I'm officially out of novels it's looking more promising. I'll probably get through that and then post my thoughts on the series in general :justpost:

I do appreciate the thought that you can avoid going insane from living forever just by being cynical enough.

I really hated the feeling of ending the series on a book where the villain kills a bunch of people then gets away with everything.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Yeah.

But, it really doesn’t matter though. He gets what he wants but he’s sacrificed all true social connection to get it, and he gets the same thing everyone else does. A leap into the unknown.

In the end he just seems kind of pathetic. What has he really gained?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Personally, I would have called them Knife Misiles
https://twitter.com/BulletinAtomic/status/1532023152838156292?s=20&t=lm8PXPy7i4HUQBkApfjCUw

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Needs more monofilament warps.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Culture weapons in our culture are really kinda depressing

All the murder, none of the luxury gay space communism

No Minds, just Musks

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

the sad truth is that we live on the planet from Surface Detail

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

We're the control group. Yaaaay.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Crossposting from the Sci-fi Wifi thread:

Experimenting a little with midjourney AI image creation to get ideas for what the top of a GSV might look like. Nothing perfect but these are pretty suggestive, and close to what I was imagining, at least for some bits near the edges. Wild riots of detail and intermeshing shapes are one thing these AIs do pretty well, since they have no underlying understanding of 3D form or perspective.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Nice! Could also see them being a clifftop town on some Orbital somewhere, but I suppose you can get pretty much any terrain on an Orbital.

Also I was not aware there was another Culture thread so thanks for that.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Organic Lube User posted:

We're the control group. Yaaaay.

We're helping! :SC:

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
I've had this series on my list for a few years now. Skipped Phlebas, as that seems to be the consensus, and jumped in with Player of Games which I thought was excellent. A few chapters into Use of Weapons now, hoping it picks up a bit, not much happening yet.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
UoW is many, many peoples favorite in the series. Keep reading is my advice.

The book is an odd one, structure wise. Surprisingly good story if you stick to it.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

down1nit posted:

UoW is many, many peoples favorite in the series. Keep reading is my advice.

The book is an odd one, structure wise. Surprisingly good story if you stick to it.

Seconding this. It’s definitely my favorite in the series.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I might be a rare exception. I kind of hated UoW but also couldn't put it down either.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

It's a good book, but not a good Culture book.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The early Culture books getting published in reverse writing order is a weird thing that Culture fans tend to memory hole asap.
Personally, Use of Weapons and Player of Games fall extremely flat for me, while Phlebas pulls me in regardless of my intent of just reading one scene.

Iain Banks said that Use of Weapons was originally written in 1974-75 then got reworked in 1989 and got published as a novel in 1990, Player of Games was originally written in 1977-78 and got reworked around 1987 and got published as a novel in 1988; while Consider Phlebas was written around 1983-85 and got published in 1987.

State of the Art, the 4th Culture novella, was originally written in 1979, got reworked in the late 1980s, and has two publishing dates (1989 or 1991); the later date includes two otherwise standalone 1987 Culture short stories.

And sadly it's been almost another six months and the The Culture: Notes and Drawings is still in publisher limbo. Restating my personal belief that Ken MacLeod is one of the worse literary (estate) executors out in the world.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I haven't seen it talked about much, but for a non Culture Culture book, I quite liked Inversions. I made it about 25% into Look to Windward and my son and dog broke my Kobo Clara so I haven't read the rest of the series yet.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

the idea that the Dark Background is the result of someone shooting a Lazy Gun at the galaxy - I can't be the first one to think of that, can I?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I haven't heard that one before. It's beautifully bizarre, so it's at least plausible.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Prolonged Panorama posted:

Crossposting from the Sci-fi Wifi thread:

Experimenting a little with midjourney AI image creation to get ideas for what the top of a GSV might look like.\

This reminds me of my thoughts about how advanced the ability to automatically produce art must be in the Culture, even leaving aside Minds.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

FPyat posted:

This reminds me of my thoughts about how advanced the ability to automatically produce art must be in the Culture, even leaving aside Minds.

I feel like the majority of Culture citizens would find that pretty gauche, mind

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They've all pretty much been forced to internalise 'art exists in the context of its creator', I suspect. Looking at art produced by a mind just to satisfy people without wanting to express something themselves is just entertainment or environmental aesthetics there to make you feel nice, not art art.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MikeJF posted:

They've all pretty much been forced to internalise 'art exists in the context of its creator', I suspect. Looking at art produced by a mind just to satisfy people without wanting to express something themselves is just entertainment or environmental aesthetics there to make you feel nice, not art art.

Look to Windward, by Iain M Banks posted:

“So what," the Chelgrian asked, "is the point of me or anybody else writing a symphony, or anything else?"

The avatar raised its brows in surprise. "Well, for one thing, you do it, it's you who gets the feeling of achievement."

"Ignoring the subjective. What would be the point for those listening to it?"

"They'd know it was one of their own species, not a Mind, who created it."

"Ignoring that, too; suppose they weren't told it was by an AI, or didn't care."

"If they hadn't been told then the comparison isn't complete; information is being concealed. If they don't care, then they're unlike any group of humans I've ever encountered."

"But if you can—"

"Ziller, are concerned that Minds—AIs, if you like—can create, or even just appear to create, original works of art?"

"Frankly, when they're the sort of original works of art that I create, yes."

"Ziller, it doesn't matter. You have to think like a mountain climber."

"Oh, do I?"

"Yes. Some people take days, sweat buckets, endure pain and cold and risk injury and—in some cases—permanent death to achieve the summit of a mountain only to discover there a party of their peers freshly arrived by aircraft and enjoying a light picnic."

"If I was one of those climbers I'd be pretty damned annoyed."

"Well, it is considered rather impolite to land an aircraft on a summit which people are at that moment struggling up to the hard way, but it can and does happen. Good manners indicate that the picnic ought to be shared and that those who arrived by aircraft express awe and respect for the accomplishment of the climbers.

"The point, of course, is that the people who spent days and sweated buckets could also have taken an aircraft to the summit if all they'd wanted was to absorb the view. It is the struggle that they crave. The sense of achievement is produced by the route to and from the peak, not by the peak itself. It is just the fold between the pages." The avatar hesitated. It put its head a little to one side and narrowed its eyes. "How far do I have to take this analogy, Cr. Ziller?”

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

MikeJF posted:

Like up there we have the use-case for AI visualization that is centered around the conscious intent of the person formulating the image prompt. In a post-scarcity paradigm, wouldn't people who want to illustrate their books or projects rebel against a limited supply of human artists who want to take requests?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

FPyat posted:

Like up there we have the use-case for AI visualization that is centered around the conscious intent of the person formulating the image prompt. In a post-scarcity paradigm, wouldn't people who want to illustrate their books or projects rebel against a limited supply of human artists who want to take requests?

There'd be more prestige in having an actual human or human-equiv citizen illustrating your book, because it meant you were able to convince them to spend the time doing it.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I found Use of Weapons to be a bit of a slog for the first chunk, especially since it took me a bit to figure out the time skipping gimmick, and while I wouldn't put it in my top 3 culture books I was pleased enough with it by the end.

I'd definitely recommend Player of Games as an entry point (and Flere-Imsaho is the best drone name in the series). Both Matter and Excession were similarly fun romps through the Culture universe. Look to Windward was great as well but I'd read a few other Culture books before jumping into that as it has a very melancholy atmosphere that likely won't land if you don't understand the universe.

I didn't care for State of the Art - some of the short stories were charming but the Culture part of the book I thought was lame, which was a shame since I knew about the setting and was excited for it.

Consider Phlebas was weird in that it wasn't bad but it wasn't good - it does a good job of setting the stage for Look to Windward though and that may be enough to save it.

Surface Detail was kinda bonkers but enjoyable enough and Hydrogen Sonata isn't the best but I guess it does a decent job of closing everything out.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

What did you think about Inversions?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

What did you think about Inversions?

Only one I haven't read yet - I'm working through the Red Mars trilogy now and will probably do Inversions after that.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4vR9onntoE

https://www.foliosociety.com/usa/consider-phlebas.html

Cool to see a nice edition, although I can't say I love the direction they've taken it, beyond the cover and frontispiece being pretty good. They're "hoping to begin negotiations" on the rights to the rest of the series, so maybe there will be more, maybe not.

It would depend on the execution but I'd love an illustrated Excession or Look to Windward.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm not into vanity hardcovers of stuff I already own, but I am glad they are being made.

Still interested to see the art book and the book of notes. Anyone heard any updates more recent than this? https://www.orbitbooks.net/2021/06/15/an-update-regarding-the-culture-notes-and-drawings-by-iain-m-banks-and-ken-macleod/

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/orbitbooks/status/1649095648577306640?s=20
$60 standard "Contact" edition, and a ~$300 limited "Special Circumstances" edition of 750 with a fancier cloth and foil cover, a presentation box, and a print.

Scheduled for release November 7, 2023. Maybe. Hopefully.

I like the design! The limited edition isn't doing much for me though, especially at that price point.

If the scale bar on the cover illustration goes with the central object depicted, it's nearly exactly 175km across, so I think the only thing it can be is a System class GSV viewed edge on. Angular!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sketchbooks in the 70s and 80s are very early, a lot of them may be things that got changed later.

I wonder what that is on the top of the box.

One thing I was sort of hoping was that they might comission some art based on his drawings - he's clearly very much a straight-line schematic kinda person - but at this point I'll take the book coming out at all.

I hope it's not an absolute nightmare to buy in Australia. It'll no doubt be ~$99 at least.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 5, 2023

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

MikeJF posted:

One thing I was sort of hoping was that they might comission some art based on his drawings - he's clearly very much a straight-line schematic kinda person - but at this point I'll take the book coming out at all.

That would have been awesome, a companion volume of that would maybe justify the limited edition. I'm sure people will do their own interpretations once it's out though.

The design on the box might be an Idiran symbol, with the three branches and three grouped circles. Or maybe Horza's Changer clan, or Kraiklyn's Free Company? Maybe something Azadian, it looks a little... reproductive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I also just finished Excession and now I want an Interesting Times Gang gangtag

lol I had the same thought after finishing Excession the other night. took me ages to get through the book. I always take a long time to read Culture novels because I don't want them to end

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I made one ages ago for some reason but it isn't that great

this is very good although I think the text should all be visible at once and the Excession should advance rapidly outward from a tiny point in the center, like it's being read from the Sleeper Service's POV