Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Traditional Games be a Top Level Forum?
This poll is closed.
Yes. It would benefit the place. 222 80.73%
No. Why gently caress up a good thing? 27 9.82%
No opinion. Just being a looky loo. 26 9.45%
Total: 275 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
This has come up before and not been something super important so it's been on the back burner for a while. I don't particularly think being top forum vs sub makes a big difference in the long run, but some people do, and it's your forum so lets figure it out.

When this idea was being tossed around a few years ago, there was an idea to make a Games heading so all the Games subforums could have room to breathe. If I remember right, Retro Games was born out of that initial discussion a few years ago. I don't think we are at THAT point of reorganization yet, but we can take it one step at a time.

So here I am with a poll:

Should Trad Games be a top level forum? Why?
Is it good where it is? Why?

If it moves, The Game Room moves with it and stays Trad Games sub forum.

Any questions you have about moving things or how anything would work? I dunno, just vote, ask poo poo, and discuss it here! If it's popular, I'll fight with the radium AI you have to contend with every time you touch anything on the backend of this site and get it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Trad games are going through a renaissance right now, so I think it being a top-level forum would increase visibility and possibly bring in some new goons. I saw mention in the QCS thread of possibly renaming Games to be Video Games, but I don't think that's necessary if Trad Games goes top-level.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Games always felt like a really broad category, and could use it's own heading. If that happens, I think upgrading Traditional Games to the same level as Video Games along with all the other Games sub forums makes sense.

Plus, board games and TTRPGs are getting increasingly popular, although not on the level of video games.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tibalt posted:

Games always felt like a really broad category, and could use it's own heading. If that happens, I think upgrading Traditional Games to the same level as Video Games along with all the other Games sub forums makes sense.

Plus, board games and TTRPGs are getting increasingly popular, although not on the level of video games.

Yeah I think this makes sense.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tibalt posted:

I agree with this position.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
For most of human history, people played games without the use of a computer. Not only should Trad Games be top level, but it should be the one called "Games", with "Video Games" relegated to subforums. :getin:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Tibalt posted:

Yeah, everything under Games right now is almost big enough to be it's own top level, and it's own heading on the Main list.

At some point, all that Main listing is going to need something, but that's probably a larger community project/poll. It's basically a clusterfuck of whatever at this point. But again, I'm the kinda guy who doesn't put a lot of weight on where a forum is. Maybe that's a bad way of thinking.

But for now, if this is wanted enough, it will just be a Trad Games (and by extension The Game Room) move.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Games should probably be renamed to Video Games at the same time, but this is a good idea regardless of that

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

do it fucker

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

If it does get made a top level forum, I'd like to resubmit my suggestion that The Game Room be split into different subforums. One subforum for standard roleplay game sessions, one for Mafia games and another for CYOAs. Also make PitR a TradGames subforum.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Absurd Alhazred posted:

For most of human history, people played games without the use of a computer. Not only should Trad Games be top level, but it should be the one called "Games", with "Video Games" relegated to subforums. :getin:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
What is actually accomplished by making TG a top-level forum right this instant?

TG isn't new or hidden away as a sub-subforum with low traffic, and I don't think SA has oodles of new people rushing to play boardgames or RPGs who are incapable of noticing this clearly-labelled subforum that's been there for years.

This isn't a vote for/against, it just doesn't seem like there's really any point to polling people about the move - if you want to do a forums reorg to make Games a category then just do that and make TG a top-level forum at the same time, otherwise it just feels like a change that doesn't matter either way.

e; vv

Tibalt posted:

I feel like it's more of an advantage for the sub forums currently under TG. I know most people don't think that being a sub sub forum matters, but I think it makes The Game Room harder to find casually.

Yeah, that's a fair point. It would be especially good if there can be separate subforums for active roleplaying/mafia/CYOA games.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 29, 2021

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I feel like it's more of an advantage for the sub forums currently under TG. I know most people don't think that being a sub sub forum matters, but I think it makes The Game Room harder to find casually.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tibalt posted:

Also helps with the you know, aforemented splitting of the Game Room

e: Oh yeah saw that edit above

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Make Trad Games the top level forum and make Games the subforum. Call it “Untraditional Games”

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I think this is a good idea.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm in favor. TG isn't really a good fit for under the videogames forum anyway.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

agreed plutonis.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

free us from Games

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It'll make the link bigger and easier to click so I am for it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

come play mafia with us lurkers

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also we have a 82% lead on yes, 8% on no and 10% on whatever so might as well just formalize it and close the poll.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Plutonis posted:

Also we have a 82% lead on yes, 8% on no and 10% on whatever so might as well just formalize it and close the poll.

close this historic poll before I get to a computer and can vote

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Tibalt posted:

Yeah, this. As a casual browser, I'd probably hang out more in Game Room if it wasn't a sub subforum.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Yeah, seems like making it top level makes sense. Board games aren't a subgenre of video games, after all.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Plutonis posted:

Yeah, seems fine, but I'm going to let it run for more than a few hours. It's a long weekend, it can stay as is for a while.

I mean, I dont think there will be 80% turn around here. Pretty easy decision, but gently caress it, let it ride for a bit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The current arrangement isn't the worst thing in the world but I think making this forum the same level as (video) Games would be a good change.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm also of the (possibly) minority opinion that the Game Room should also be top level. It's an entirely different set of things from Traditional Games and Video Games.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm also of the (possibly) minority opinion that the Game Room should also be top level. It's an entirely different set of things from Traditional Games and Video Games.

Yeah at this point TGR is its own thing for the most part.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm mostly a mafia poster when I'm here, at least so far, but I support getting out from under games. It took me a long time to notice this place and I think being top level would be a good thing. Also community wise being under Games makes little to no sense.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I agree with the forum being top level.

If we get a huge traffic surge it seems like it might be worthwhile considering if we wanted to subdivide somewhat, but that's putting the always-chaotic-evil wagon before the deviant/unprincipled horse.

e: to give an actual positive reason, it would probably somewhat increase traffic which would be good for things like mafia games. This might also indirectly benefit our creator community too!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

ok so the reason you guys need to be a top level forum is that as it stands currently I, as a games IK, inexplicably have powers in here despite having zero connection to the community, and for the last half hour i have been battling the urge to edit the poll results because i think it would be funny

free yourselves from tyranny

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im fine with TGR being a subforum for TG if TG goes top level.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Games as it stands is the video games forum with six subforums about video games and one subforum about not video games, and it seems to make a lot of sense to have that one subforum be its own thing. If it gets enough traffic it even opens up the opportunity to have subforums for RPGs, board games, card games (of which a Poker forum already exists and could be subordinated to TG pretty much immediately if that makes sense to the folks involved) and so on.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

If it gets enough traffic it even opens up the opportunity to have subforums for RPGs, board games, card games (of which a Poker forum already exists and could be subordinated to TG pretty much immediately if that makes sense to the folks involved) and so on.

Splitting TG into different subforums for different types of traditional games would suck because many TG posters are into multiple types of traditional games.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I vote yes, absolutely

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

poker is a sport. leave it where it is.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

JOHN CENA posted:

im fine with TGR being a subforum for TG if TG goes top level.

yup. and if TG becomes top level the TGR subforum split that plutonis alluded to will all get billing as a subforum which will help the visibility of them immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'm against it, but only because I think that there's already a lot of top level forums with <100 active users. That said TG is way more active than a lot of the others so maybe those should just get pruned and TG promoted.