Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Traditional Games be a Top Level Forum?
This poll is closed.
Yes. It would benefit the place. 222 80.73%
No. Why gently caress up a good thing? 27 9.82%
No opinion. Just being a looky loo. 26 9.45%
Total: 275 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

i'm against it because none must see my posting shame, and being buried in the subforum of a subforum hides it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yes. My bad posts about D&D deserve at least as much Respect as the bad posts in D&D.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'm okay with it being top level. It's small but it is kind of hidden off. I don't see it causing explosive growth, but it was always an awkward fit nested among all the video game forums.

New Super Metis posted:

ok so the reason you guys need to be a top level forum is that as it stands currently I, as a games IK, inexplicably have powers in here despite having zero connection to the community, and for the last half hour i have been battling the urge to edit the poll results because i think it would be funny

free yourselves from tyranny

It does feel a bit strange to have an amicable reallocation of forums and not a dramatic years-long civil war among numerous competing web factions...

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
As the TGR IK I think Trad Games being a top level forum is good, and I don't think there's a super compelling need to further segment TGR as anything other than a subforum under Trad Games right now. Getting a link to TGR on the forums index would be a nice little win and might drive some more traffic to games and CYOAs currently in progress, which is good in my book.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I don't really see any reason to. I've gotten the impression that most of the "make xxx a top level forum" cries were about moderation drama and I'm not aware of any going on between games and traditional games. On the other hand I don't really see any reason not to do it either.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
can we go back to being a sub subforum?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't really see any reason to. I've gotten the impression that most of the "make xxx a top level forum" cries were about moderation drama and I'm not aware of any going on between games and traditional games. On the other hand I don't really see any reason not to do it either.
I suspect that TG ended up under Games due to the infathomable pill-addled will of the former regime, possibly because "it's a subtype of games, therefore,"

Nobody had a plan for any of this poo poo. I'm sure even Jeffrey now only has plans in the sense of 'what happens if I get hit by a bus' or 'hey, maybe I should have functional backups'

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I run the discord for the Games Room CYOA community and it is legitimately one of the most awesome, chill and positive goon communities I've ever had the pleasure to be a part of. The membership is upward of three hundred people but the active core is probably half that, and that's just the people who joined the server, there are also posters who contribute but don't do discord for one reason or another so it's pretty active. There's some concern about being a TLF bringing disruptive elements because we'd be more exposed but I also think that exposure could attract new creatives and people who never even knew we existed.

I think it sits in a weird halfway space between its ties to RPGs and the more booklike writing format so it just got crammed in tradgames because it didn't really fit anywhere else.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 30, 2021

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nessus posted:

I suspect that TG ended up under Games due to the infathomable pill-addled will of the former regime, possibly because "it's a subtype of games, therefore,"

Nobody had a plan for any of this poo poo. I'm sure even Jeffrey now only has plans in the sense of 'what happens if I get hit by a bus' or 'hey, maybe I should have functional backups'

I truly have no idea if this post is serious or a parody of someone who is angry about traditional games being subforum.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Nessus posted:

Honest answer on a bit of SA lore, Traditional Games was created way back in the early 2000s and was functionally identical to the current Games Room - a place for PbP role-playing games that wouldn't clog up GBS. Mafia games and CYOA threads weren't particularly popular yet.

After miniature threads, Magic the Gathering discussion, and Mafia games were moved to Trad Games in 2007, eventually the Trad Games Discussion sub subforum (!!) was created under the Trad Games/future Game Room. In 2012 somebody noticed this and also that TG had no moderator for the last decade, so they switched it around and gave TG their first moderator since 2005.

So basically, nobody planned anything, it all evolved out of the need to banish nerds from GBS and promptly forgetting about them. Considering TG was mostly self-moderated for most of its existence, I think it's cool that Tad Games has this very unique culture that you don't see elsewhere on the internet.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

wheres the mods, the poll is over!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Plutonis posted:

wheres the mods, the poll is over!

If you try to do back end stuff on weekends or holidays the ghost of radium he left in the code deletes the database and that's frowned upon I guess?

I'll have it done by mid-week, baring any emergency bullshit I'll let you know about.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

No butt stuff on Saturdays, got it

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It'll make the link bigger and easier to click so I am for it.

This is basically it for me yeah. The shallowest possible reason, but hey.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gosh I went camping for the long weekend and I come back and all my wildest dreams are coming true!

Well OK not exactly a wild dream but I do think TG isn't a subcategory of (video) games, and I also think TGR deserves to be visible in the forums list (as do all forums on SA IMO).

This was an idea raised in the mods forum many months ago and I'm pleased to see that the priority list for admins has gotten down to a point where it's up for action.

e. also I'm gonna sticky this poll

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
It's done.

I put it right below Ask/Tell, but thanks to how it works, it may take some time to move up the list. (Seriously you cant just slot it where you want it, you have to play the 'click one at a time' game)

If someone can make a Forum Tag to match the others I'd appreciate it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We won. We're troops now.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Another QCS success story

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Athanatos posted:

We already have one? :confused:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Athanatos posted:

Do you have any idea what font was used to make the others? Seems easiest to just reuse the first frame of with "TG" as the text, which I can slap together as long as I know the font.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Athanatos posted:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Athanatos posted:

It's done.

I put it right below Ask/Tell, but thanks to how it works, it may take some time to move up the list. (Seriously you cant just slot it where you want it, you have to play the 'click one at a time' game)

I'll have one up tonight.

also can we promote leperflesh to also mod TGR.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I took a quick terrible stab in photoshop but this is awful don't use it:

The idea was to add six pips to the square on the left, and go for a yellowish gold color since that seems to be the least-used color among the other forums tags, although the comedy goldmine is a bright yellow (even though it's the goldmine) so I went for a bit more muted? Obviously the blurry gold patch in the middle needs to be blended but I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to pixel art.

e. I'm already TGR's mod, because of the inheritance model, even if my name isn't listed. A mod of a forum is automatically a mod of all of its subforums.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

The idea was to add six pips to the square on the left, and go for a yellowish gold color since that seems to be the least-used color among the other forums tags, although the comedy goldmine is a bright yellow (even though it's the goldmine) so I went for a bit more muted? Obviously the blurry gold patch in the middle needs to be blended but I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to pixel art.
go for baby blue. it compliments better.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

e. I'm already TGR's mod unless something changed when Athanatos moved things, because of the inheritance model, even if my name isn't listed. A mod of a forum is automatically a mod of all of its subforums.
ah ok then mission accomplished

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

actually i changed my mind lets go back for now and think about this a little longer

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

pog boyfriend posted:

actually i changed my mind lets go back for now and think about this a little longer

The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

e. I'm already TGR's mod, because of the inheritance model, even if my name isn't listed. A mod of a forum is automatically a mod of all of its subforums.

Feel like there'd be room to make the pips a little larger if it was a 5.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

how about something like this (card table green). i don't know what the right font is though

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

or, no meeple and the dice show 2 3 4 for the forum id

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Lemon-Lime posted:

Do you have any idea what font was used to make the others?

Not a clue.

Tag requirements are that it looks the same as the others or a little bird sends me angry messages and fixes it anyway.

So...Copy what the other ones look like but changing the one square to a dice would probably be fine.

It has to be .gif format...but not animated.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Testing what this looks like

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The three-dice one is a bit plain, I think the one with the meeple works better.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What do those boxes on the left of most of the forum tags signify, anyway? Is there an original reason for them, and the right-justified text?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Athanatos posted:

Testing what this looks like

I made a new one, just made the 2-3-4 pattern with successively smaller and rolling dice?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

I made a new one, just made the 2-3-4 pattern with successively smaller and rolling dice?

I dig it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ninja edit: I am a dumbass

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Mouseover text for this icon is "dare you enter our magical realm."

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Roll 1D6 to post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

honestly im not against revamping all of them. it's been the same images for what feels like 10 years now.