Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO WAS MOST OVER
This poll is closed.
ORANGE 57 34.34%
MIRO 32 19.28%
HANGMAN 30 18.07%
INNER CIRCLE 14 8.43%
BRITT BAKER 22 13.25%
CODY 6 3.61%
DARBY 5 3.01%
Total: 166 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
A stellar show on almost every level, but I have one problem: the story of Britt Baker winning the title.

They created a scenario where literally everyone was hoping and cheering for the babyface to lose, and that everyone should want the bad guy to win because "She's earned it!" which is just....a really weird story to tell in a wrestling show? It's kinda lowkey insulting to Shida that they've basically made her losing the title a foregone conclusion for like a year and did absolutely nothing to make anybody root for her. Thus, the hero's journey ends with a miserable failure while the first full crowd at a wrestling show in nearly 2 years celebrates the villain who cheated to beat her and she'll probably just fade away to Dark/Elevation land cause Baker's the only woman in the company that matters (until Brandi comes back of course)

Which gets into my other problem; who could possibly challenge Baker at this point? She's beaten Shida, she has victories over Thunder Rosa, and nobody else in the company has been pushed to even remotely her level. Nobody else has any sort of character or storyline beyond "is a good wrestler" or "isn't appearing on the show this week." The only other woman whose being built strong recently is Jade who is also a heel so that's kinda moot.

Frankly I'm convinced at this point it's just gonna be another year-long run where the champion shows up twice a month to squash someone while the rest of the division gets relegated to 3 minute Dark matches with no character building or storylines. Except this time the belt is on the one woman the company will allow to speak ever, so maybe she'll get more screentime than Shida but that's probably about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

harperdc posted:

I don't think there needs to be a rematch between her and Britt anytime soon, but spinning Shida off into a different feud soon would be good.

The problem is we all know that's not going to going to happen. Britt Baker is basically the only woman in the company who can ever have a storyline or even speak basically. Besides Brandi, but she's not here anymore.

I think it's all but guaranteed that Shida won't be on Dynamite next week, there'll be no followup to her losing after a year long reign. She'll just vanish for a while and maybe start showing up on Dark/Elevation having 3 minute squash matches for like a year, until another heel (probably Jade) has the belt and they can throw her out on Dynamite for a 1-week feud before a PPV.

That's why it's kind of depressing that the Baker Coronation was such a foregone conclusion. It was never a story about Shida vs Britt, it was the story of Britt getting the belt. The title could have been vacant for the past year for all the story cared.

I have nothing against Britt, I think it is really amazing how far she's come since AEW started and if they'd told a good story and built a solid division I'd have no problem with it. The problem is they didn't do either of those things. They have effectively a one-woman division where Britt is the only woman that matters, and the rest of the women just exist to be bested by her.

My worry is it just turns into another version of Shida's run where have maybe 2 or 3 big matches they can do (Maybe Tay, maybe Riho, maybe Statlander?) but again every single one of those feuds is gonna be a foregone conclusion and once those are done what else have they got? A division full of Dark level talent that have never been treated as competitors to the people Britt will have beaten by then. Obviously she'll get 100 times as many promos as Shida or Riho or Nyla ever did, but how long can that sustain a champion? Thunder Rosa is the most obvious babyface to dethrone Britt, but she won't be free to join AEW officially until 2022 at the earliest so basically this just guarantees Baker is gonna be spinning wheels for at least 6 or 7 months because they just refuse to build anyone else.

Obviously AEW has limitations. TNT reportedly refuses to give the women any more screen time, so when they're basically limited to only devoting 10 minutes a week to the entire division they just focus on the one woman whose mega over. Maybe Rampage will help alleviate the problem and give them time to actually build some characters who can stand up to Britt, but I'll believe it when I see it frankly.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Shard posted:

Some say the number is big. But I'm here to tell you it's not big enough

I'm definitely an expert on the wrestling business and I can tell you with 100% certainty that AEW is shutting down unless they can top Collision in Korea's attendance in the next week.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Didn't Awesome Kong also have some unspecified health issues as well? I remember hearing that part of the reason the Nightmare Collective stuff was dropped, besides the fact that it was terrible, was that Kong needed surgery and then by the time she'd recovered from that it was time to film GLOW and then COVID happened while that was going on.

It's truly depressing how many times her careers been derailed by things she had no control over.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Which is extra funny because she’s a Portuguese immigrant ex-pat to France.

No see she's the "right" kind of immigrant so it's fine!!!

She'll fit right in at the WWE Catering Center.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

A real shame AEW was immediately cancelled and went out of business, looking forward to watching a Peacock documentary about how WWE heroically fought back against all odds to defeat them by booking Drew McIntyre and Bobby Lashley for 82 straight weeks in a row.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Having a flaw that can be worked on and improved when you're already over is a benefit to an underdog babyface working on his ascent. Improvement is a big part of AEW's charm over WWE.

If it was WWE they'd have him cutting godawful promos every week until fans would actively call for him to fired, cause they have an unnatural talent for making good wrestlers look absolutely worthless. Doesn't matter if you're a square peg, you're going in that round hole goddammit and if it doesn't work it's your own fault.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

*after Chaos Project match*

I don't know when I had this idea but for some reason I really want a Chaos Project vs Jurassic Express match where they just throw Serpentico and Marko Stunt at each other for 10 straight minutes.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

If I remember right, Dustin has a child or stepchild that is trans and he's been pretty vocal in support of them!

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

TK has to be too rich for non-competes to apply to him, right? Like what's the point of having an owner who's above the law if you don't use him?

Apparently the no-competes end the week before All Out...

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

The Dark Order are goofing off in their lounge when one of them notices a closet they've never opened before, they think someone's in there so they creep up to open it, and then Tommy End walks in from off screen and hits Uno with the papers for being stupid enough to think someone would sit in a closet for months waiting for someone to open it.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Should called it the Chair Lair

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I think the lesson to be learned is that on-staff doctors are about as helpful as HR staff in any corporation. They're not really there to help the workers, they're there to protect the company from lawsuits and if that means screwing the workers over? So be it.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I think the big challenge with Britt Baker is that like, nobody who beats her gets elevated from it. Big Swole, Thunder Rosa, and Nyla Rose all have victories over Baker in 2021 and, aside from Swole's title match with Shida, none of them have ever appeared on Dynamite again. I like Dark and Elevation, but when you have 95% of the women's division relegated to the optional B and C shows on Youtube, that's kinda just telling the audience that Baker is the only woman in the company that matters.

They desperately need to start building babyfaces besides Thunder Rosa cause she literally cannot do anything title-wise until 2022, and if they don't it's just gonna be 6 or 7 months of matches where you know the challenger has literally no chance whatsoever of winning.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

VideoWitch posted:

Nyla Rose appeared four times since the time she fought Britt
Rosa appeared one time last month
Big Swole appeared three times since the tooth and nail match, but she also spent a good amount of time out due to health issues

In storylines? Feuds? Or are we only counting Dark matches? Point is they get like 1% of the attention Britt does and that's not a great way to build a division.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Penguin Patrol posted:

They built one of the strongest anchors they absolutely could for a division while they've been building up a roster to support her on Dark. Doesn't sound too bad to me. Definitely not fair to discount all the work they've put into the division on Dark when it's not time to put them all on tv yet. Considering the pops that all their homegrown Dark talent got in front of audiences, they're doing just fine.

I mean that's kinda what they've been doing for 2 years now, at some point that's gotta amount to something. Hopefully Rampage gives them more time to devote to giving some actual stories to the women who've been training on Dark all this time, but we'll have no idea what they do with it til it happens I guess.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

To be clear my issue isn't really with Britt herself, it's more just the story they told where the underdog heel had to claw her way up from obscurity while the babyface champion largely just didn't even show up and when the heel won after blatantly cheating in front of the referee on multiple occasions everyone just cheered and celebrated because she "earned it." It was a foregone conclusion the moment Britt started gunning for the title and they did nothing to make you think for a second there'd be any other outcome.

As for the Dark/Elevation thing, I just think that important stuff should happen on the actual television show that people are watching. There's nothing wrong with the Youtube shows, they just by their nature don't feel important. If they have an idea for a babyface to challenge the champion, they should be on the TV show telling a story and doing things to make themselves look like a credible challenger.

My worry is just that they aren't gonna do the work do that and every feud Britt has until Rosa is free will just be a series of matches where there's no conceivable way she loses. I would be THRILLED if that wasn't the case!

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

smarxist posted:

only a few wrestlers have ever canonically had sex, most are in a monogamous relationship with The Business, like nuns and jesus

Mark Henry, Mae Young, and Rey Mysterio Eddie Guerrero

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Do you think there'll be an episode of Cody and Brandi's reality show going into detail about how they focus grouped that promo about Ogogo?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I went through the tutorial and it was such a drag. The art is neat, but everything just feels so extraneous and I guess I really just wanted to feel like I was playing TEW back in high school again.

Man if someone could make a TEW game that had a similar depth but didn't have an awful UI where doing anything requires like 6 different drop down menus and databases within databases within databases and the whole thing runs in a hard-coded 1026x768 window? I'd be all over that.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I'm not super versed in the Bullet Club history but wasn't it literally their thing that they would always cheat even when they didn't really need to, because they're dicks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

It's also amazing how quickly the cracks started to show with the NWO. Like how they did all that tense invasion poo poo and then suddenly Roddy Piper shows up with a bunch of extras and John Tenta In Jeans and then ditches them immediately, beats Hogan clean for absolutely no reason, starts feuding with both the NWO and WCW at the same time, then vanishes again.