Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO WAS MOST OVER
This poll is closed.
ORANGE 57 34.34%
MIRO 32 19.28%
HANGMAN 30 18.07%
INNER CIRCLE 14 8.43%
BRITT BAKER 22 13.25%
CODY 6 3.61%
DARBY 5 3.01%
Total: 166 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
still holding out some minor hope for the final countdown to hit when the joker enters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

smarxist posted:

i have literally no idea what to expect from stadium stampede 2

i imagine it's going to take place in a stadium

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

xbilkis posted:

For everyone going “Ogogo’s supposed to be the heel????” I’m like...99% sure they are OK with some people liking Ogogo in this feud. They’re giving him a primo spot to debut in, Cody loves doing ~shades of grey~ stories, I’m sure they want a guy the UK audience gets behind so they’re not going to make him overtly rotten.

Cody knows pure hearted people are going to root against him anyway so he benevolently gave us a good character to cheer for

now that i've slept on it i feel like maybe some of the awkwardness from the weigh-in was because they were expecting people to boo cody and cheer ogogo... except everyone was playing along normally

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Nick Jr. Face posted:

If you believe the rumor that WWE is negotiating a working partnership with NJPW as a bargaining chip for re-upping Bryan, he won't be there tomorrow (only because he hasn't made up his mind yet).

i mean, the rumor was that those negotiations were happening in march/april and more recently than that aew has outright had njpw talent on their shows

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

sticklefifer posted:

How is Stadium Stampede happening with the crowds back? Did they already tape it? Or do they let the crowd in the stands from next door?

Or is it the silliest option where the Daley's Place people just have to sit in Daley's Place and watch a screen of something happening that they can't watch live even though it's next door?

they're almost definitely finishing it in the ring but yeah it'll likely all be pretape before that

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Do it ironically posted:

I have mixed feelings on Mark Henry signing as he seems like he’s kind of an rear end in a top hat and wwe rear end kisser, I definitely side with lio rush on their spat but I guess we’ll see

i hope they'll work something out now that they're at the same place

(also idk too much about 'wwe rear end kisser' if he was willing to jump ship)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I can see kenny dropping a non aew belt first but only if it's on an aew show to someone who's going to be around in aew afterwards

but at that point why not just make it the aew belt

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the rosa stuff i at least can blame on the promotion she's actually signed to deciding to pull her back and give her a storyline literally saying that if she loses a match she can't wrestle for other companies anymore

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i also think people are maybe putting a little too much weight on toney talking about how much he likes his bestie britt and thinking it's commentary/aew as a whole trying to make her a babyface

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Le Saboteur posted:

Yeah I loved the show except like one person mentioned the Britt story problems (also the match teetered back and forth between sloppy and coordinated a lot) and the other big elephant in the room for AEW: The Cody Problem.

How long is Cody going to keep going over young talent in matches where he absolutely shouldn't be? Ogogo should have been made to look strong and unique tonight instead he was booked to look like any other guy Cody could beat. And these problems are so consistent with him I'm convinced Stings run will end with the company when Cody beats him at their biggest PPV of the year.

They really need to figure that poo poo out.

cody's just weird when he's booking himself and i don't think he's really figured out the lane he should go down. he still really should've gone over mjf at the end of that feud for SOME sort of catharsis and he does really feel like he and his crew are in a bubble compared to the interconnected feuds across the rest of the show

him booking himself vs shaq to get velvet and jade over was real smart, still, though

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sega 32X posted:

When OC wins down the line, they can be there for the ascension of the hottest meme character ever to hit wrestling.

i do wanna say that we've seen OC grow a lot from where he started as a pure goof -- nothing he did in the three way was to clown around and the kick spot was a real short 'gently caress you' to pac instead of the extended bit we've seen him do before

i do kind of wish it was underlined a bit on the show but him losing the tnt title shot against cody to the time limit draw BECAUSE he spent so much of the start of the match loving around was the start of the push for him to Try when something's legitimately on the line, and it's been a real natural shift of his character since

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

StarkRavingMad posted:

so what are you on about with all this they pushed her in a really weird way stuff

i feel like the implication is that they're being racist but i think that's part of my default considerations when people are being extremely cagey about accusations

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, it would be! that's why it's good to explain what you mean instead of going on about how really weird it is

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
to be clear i thought the posters were insinuating aew's booking was racist for leaving shida and rosa behind in favor of britt because that was genuinely the only thing i could come up with, before those posters later explained more about what they meant. i still don't understand it, but i'm glad that specific thing is off the table currently

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's still a few months off but i'm at least going to see what rampage is like and who it highlights before really focusing on who i think needs more time. once the second show actually happens they're going to have more time to juggle concurrent storylines, and at the very least things are gonna change a bunch once touring kicks off and they start figuring out who's going to be in the touring crew and who's sticking around at home for a bit

that said i love th2 and i think they're a pair you can push REAL easily with a match or two once you're ready to give them something

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i still really think the trios belts should happen sooner rather than later so that the tag division doesn't have just one set of belts to go after at a time, especially if the belts are on someone like the bucks where they're going to stay put for a while

Jackie D posted:

What's weird is it seemed like they were doing this at the beginning of the dark order-hfo feud but then just never mentioned them again

iirc there was an injury that put it on pause

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Huntman posted:

After seeing Ethan yeet Darby into the wrestlers, I am both excited and worried to see what they'll come up with for Darby's Death Spot in their eventual 1v1.

it's time to link this again
https://twitter.com/ClassicChhun/status/741484856601874432

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I haven't seen a lot of buzz about it, but rebranding Sky and Ego and the Men of the Year, complete with magazine spread Tonytron is Very Good

call up schoolboy q for a new theme

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
shanna and ivellise should get together and then never get signed anywhere ever again

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also Kong can't really offer much unless she wants to coach. I wish her well but they kept her for a LONG time after she realized she couldn't take bumps.

kong getting released at this point is probably a 'she wants to retire from the industry' if she doesn't want to hang around and coach

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Seams posted:

I like that AEW is pushing new people that aren't just ex-WWE folks. As much as I think it would be nice if guys like Andrade and Black end up in AEW, I'm more invested in guys like Darby, JB, MJF, Acclaimed etc etc who I had never seen prior to AEW.

tbh i think the "ex-wwe" stuff should've been dead and buried ages ago. aew clearly isn't pushing people just because they were in the wwe, and avoiding building up anyone who was over there means we wouldn't have miro or tay and their complete career rejuvenation

like, it's easy to see that anyone who's leaving the wwe for reasons not related to being a pedo or a bigot was probably mistreated at least by SOME amount in the company, and it's clear that getting out of there and into a company that will both treat you better as a human and actually attempt to train you in ways that work has helped a ton

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Oh Snapple! posted:

Someone who needs to be walked through their matches still to the point where it's a legitimate question as to if she's sandbagging or just loving up is an extremely poor anchor.

who is asking this "legitimate question"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Penguin Patrol posted:

someone else post cursedwomensdivision.txt pls

i'm probably forgetting a lot but:

- kylie rae was presumably going to be the early face center of the division before she left
- awesome kong/britt were going to be the early heel center but kong couldn't go as much as she expected and they cut it short real quick
- joshi were going to be a large part of the division before the pandemic, as well as a few other people who lived out of the country and wouldn't stay in florida
- you know, the pandemic in general keeping people home for health reasons (like big swole)
- there had been several injuries with people who were just starting getting focused on, including statlander (who JUST returned) and anna jay (who is still out)

it's only been in the last several months that the division's really finally getting on its feet without being derailed (barring rosa's "you can't wrestle in aew" storyline in her home promotion), and in those months they've built a good chunk of talent they should finally be able to use regularly -- they just really need to get the time together to put it on dynamite

if anything i think the problem right now is that they have so many ongoing storylines that they're already trying to fit into dynamite that it's hard to go "hey let's try to fit another two or three into the same two hours," but hopefully the PPV can be a nice capstone to what they were doing and the first post-PPV dynamite this friday can kick off some new poo poo

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Zombie Lemur posted:

I'm more curious about who's positioned to take the belts off of the Bucks.

i could buy PnP taking them, since they teased on twitter that they're planning on challenging

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

amused that whoever alex elkins is was so proud of this photoshop that they watermarked it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MotU posted:

Yeah all of this tracks in what kneecapped the division right off the bat and how they couldn't get a break at all. It makes sense for them to 'all in' it on their most over wrestler in the division, but some people still dislike how it was done

realtalk there's nothing wrong with posting about disliking things (i outright said in my post that i think they have lots of room to get better), but that doesn't mean people can't discuss/respond to what people are saying? like, i fundamentally disagree with drakkel saying "Britt Baker is basically the only woman in the company who can ever have a storyline or even speak basically" and "they have effectively a one-woman division where Britt is the only woman that matters, and the rest of the women just exist to be bested by her, " but because i don't really understand where they're coming from at all i just kind of let it go

imo i think a lot of people discard anything that doesn't happen within the two hours on dynamite or on a PPV as something not legitimately part of AEW, and i think that's just fundamentally incorrect at this point. elevation at least is having more and more promos and segments highlighting talent and showcasing their deal and why you should care about them, and the wrestling on elevation/dark is certainly ~canonical~ both to the winrates on dynamite and to character relationships across the roster. i'm not saying "you gotta watch all the vlogs every week," but they've certainly had stuff like the chris daniels promo which absolutely is worth watching. yknow, more character-furthering stuff, in a promotion that's all about characters, how they feel, and how they bounce off of others

basically: don't think less of people because they're regularly on dark or elevation instead of being on every single dynamite, because aew's trying their best to not make it feel that way in my opinion

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'm kind of repeating myself by going 'please please stop writing off youtube stuff' but if anyone skipped it PLEASE go watch the title tournament they had on youtube, just about every match was great + the japanese side (at the very least, unsure about the us side) was booked by shida herself and it was just hands down a great watch in every way

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MassRafTer posted:

I really hope they don't use the Freebird rule it is basically never any good.

i don't hate the freebird rule but i think most interesting things you could do with it is supplanted by trios

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mr. Squishy posted:

What does freebird mean in this context

if you have tag belts and a stable of wrestlers with three or more people, the tag belts could be defended by any pair of people in that stable (so, say, if penta+pac won the belts off of the bucks then a returning fenix could defend w/ penta if they wanted to). named after an old trio in the wwf who'd do it, i think (efb on this)

i think it works okay if you have the very occasional three person stable in a two person division, but there's so many large stables in aew that it'd be fairly silly imo. i could see (in the far future, if they're still together) someone in the HFO getting the belts and hardy insisting that they should hand the belts over to another group in his stable as a carny maneuver, but i agree that it probably won't happen in aew

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

projecthalaxy posted:

I can't find the Joe/Rollins phone comic but that but Corgan asking if they should do Cody/Aldis 3 and tony just laughing

the seth/mox version has been in the op of every aew weekly thread ever i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
ngl i feel like fuego's going to show up on dynamite in the abadon style of debut where they have a surprise win over someone you think was a shoe-in + i think it's going to happen sooner rather than later