Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO WAS MOST OVER
This poll is closed.
ORANGE 57 34.34%
MIRO 32 19.28%
HANGMAN 30 18.07%
INNER CIRCLE 14 8.43%
BRITT BAKER 22 13.25%
CODY 6 3.61%
DARBY 5 3.01%
Total: 166 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It always strikes me as weird that Cody Rhodes is very much a higher-up in the company, he's a key creative voice, yet his segments feel so unlike the rest of the show. They have way more of a retro rasslin' vibe with the family drama and the heartfelt speeches about AMERICA and so on.

Like there are times when it's entertaining but it's like this weird little corner of AEW.

And yeah Dasha laughing may have been a "I don't know how I should handle this" kinda response. Glad it could be clarified that Rosa ain't having it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

I JUST STARTED AND HOLY poo poo IT'S A FULL HOUSE THE POPS ARE BACK AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

It feels so different.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Nipponophile posted:

I really don't think they're bringing Will Arnett in.

Of course not.

... it's an illusion!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I sometimes complain when these shows go over three hours but well, I just can't when it's as good as this. Like it was all solid at worst.

And man, the crowd reactions help. Look at how over Page is, Kingston, OC, Jungle Boy, Moxley, Guevara, like... so many people have hype.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

MorningMoon posted:

eddie getting the biggest pop of his career :3:

I love that the entire start of that match- even before the bell- was just Eddie and Jon running around the crowd and getting cheered whatever they did. Has to be an all time career highlight.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I think I would have preferred for Ogogo to beat Cody but in terms of rankings or pushes or whatever, I think Ogogo's still pretty new and has a chance to make a name for himself.

Shida- I mean yeah, her reign was not as good as it could have been, and much of that is down to AEW's struggles with finding room for its women's division over the past year, something they have gotten better at. I would like to see her get a second run.

As for Rosa, there is the whole "still under contract to someone else" thing going on- as far as I can tell they try to use her whenever they can and hopefully, as soon as her current contract expires Tony pounces, because it seems like she really wants to be in AEW as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

smarxist posted:

it's wild to me how bloated and terrible the whole nWo thing became, such that nobody had the palate for the stuff of dreams when WWE did the invasion angle and now the idea of even doing one seems terrible at first blush.

really a product of its time and demographics

I've recently been watching some of 1996 WCW, the period where the whole thing started, and some things stand out that haven't really been the same elsewhere.

The nWo/Outsiders were against everyone, faces and heels alike, they didn't care. There's a key episode of Nitro where some big matches have been announced and they specifically take out the participants, like Arn Anderson and Rey Mysterio Jr. (this is the famous "Rey gets thrown into a wall like a lawn dart" segment.) Arn in particular getting hurt is very dramatic, like, the Horsemen are heels but you just don't do this. So this leads to faces and heels looking out for each other during matches just to make sure the nWo don't show up and ruin things. The commentators aren't safe (there's a point where Bobby just refuses to go on because this is too dangerous), there's a real sense that they're attacking the whole thing. Other heel factions before and since have just been heel factions. These guys were just anti-WCW and everyone in it. Obviously that got diluted over time but for a little while they felt like something else.

Like it's hard to manufacture that feeling of danger- not just with a new team being dominant but them actually threatening to tear the whole show down. (And in particular I don't think WWE has ever had the stomach for this because Vince loves the status quo too much.)