Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO WAS MOST OVER
This poll is closed.
ORANGE 57 34.34%
MIRO 32 19.28%
HANGMAN 30 18.07%
INNER CIRCLE 14 8.43%
BRITT BAKER 22 13.25%
CODY 6 3.61%
DARBY 5 3.01%
Total: 166 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

Wow, this is a CROWD. There's so many people packed around this ring, I love it. We're back to the old Daily's Place layout

1) Darby Allin vs Cezar Bononi. Bononi has upped his game a little, he doesn't seem lost like he had in some previous matches, and his punches look more effective. I need five or six hours of Excalibur explaining Hot Boi Summer to JR. This was a perfectly fine short opener.

Darby telling Page and Sky he wants them tonight. Page and Sky smugly refuse, it's pretty good. On the big stage? Sky, it's the same stage. And the honks attack! Yay honks! Dark order out, crowd go wild, all by the numbers but they're good numbers.

Crowd are appreciative of Tall Paul coming out for the weigh in. Feel sorry for the poor sods sat behind the flags. Who's the douche with the Factory wearing Ogogo's suit? Tall Paul really enjoyed the "American Dream" intro. Oh hey, Brooke Havok is back! This is one time I'll forgive Cody's pageantry. if you're going to do this, it should look like this. Love this nailbiting footage of two men trying to work out how a scale works. Union Jack boxers for heat, nice. Cody weighs 218, Ogogo weights 219. Which, once again, means nothing. QT leaning into it as a petty victory is fun though.

Powerhouse Hobbs beats up Christian backstage. Christian has to get weapons involved to beat him, because he's a scrub.

2) Hangman Page vs Joey Janela. Sonny and Joey back on the same page? Joey working heel a bit here. The crowd love Hangman Page so much. Taz goes much more Dark Taz during commercials, I like it. Joey's lack of rear end is making his gear fit funny. Janela is bringing it tonight. Hangmin is bleeding from the mouth and it makes him look vicious. Jeez, Hangman got opened the gently caress up here.

Cage comes out as Taz yells at Page. Page has seen this movie. Oh, I like the "I expected more from you" angle. Nice. Jeez, Page's crimson mask looks amazing and is really disturbing.

God drat it, the Mox / Kingston commercial cut out as Mox was calling the Bucks "Rod and Todd Flanders"

And we're back. Weird technical hitch, boys. Good promo but too long.

Toney out to get Orange Cassidy's answer, but a proper bastard comes out instead. Throws Tony out of the ring by just saying "OUT!" PAC reinforces his fun tweener status. The crowd aren't fond of this but I love it. Omega tries a cheap shot run in and PAC just knicks him on his as because PAC is awesome. Numbers game takes it over, Death Triangle bring things back to even. This is a fun beating, and then Orange and HIS friends come out and the building explodes. Cassidy having spelled "Kenny" wrong and having to cross it out is just loving perfect.

Dude in the front row in a Jun Kasai shirt. Respect.

The theatre of this segment is really good.

Jade Cargill being interviewed while wearing an absolutely ludicrous outfit. Jade has selected Smart Mark as her representation. Okay.

3) Jade Cargill vs KiLynn King. Really glad that KiLynn gets a proper entrance, wish she had the rest of Big Red with her. Love her Captain Marvel gear. Time for some Big Lass Wrestling. Oh, I LOVE this Test Of Strength at the start. KiLynn is getting some good vicious offense in here, and Jade is responding in kind. This match could be quicker, but I'm not at all mad at it. Decent, but I wanted more from KiLynn.

4) Dante Martin vs Miro. The crowd roared for Miro, not because he's a face but because he's something you respond to. Dante showing some nice speed here, and as long as he's able to avoid Miro's blows he looks really great and the crowd respond well to him. But then entropy happens and he dies, he tragically dies.

"LANCE, SIC HIM!" was amazing.

I love Shida's dress, she looks lovely. Wait, two championship belts? This feels a bit too obviously a goodbye ceremony for her reign. New belt is bigger, which is good.

I like her promo. Simple but pure. And interrupted by THIS rear end in a top hat. This was nicely done and made Shida and Britt seem important.

Sammy in the crowd doing picture in picture cue cards. Cool beans.

5) Uno and Grayson vs Sky and Page. This is a very good tag match between two very good tag teams, but feels like a very odd fit for a position this high on the card. I've long thought that the way you get Page and Sky over is just to let them wrestle people and be assholes in the ring to them, and this works well on that level. However it's unavoidable that these are teams that, inasmuch as they are on the card for Sunday, are in a battle royal on Sunday rather than a high stakes match. If you can ignore that, though, this is really really good tag team wrestling.

Darby brings out a million Stings. AND IT'S STING IN A STING MASK! THEY DID THE THING!

Inner Circle Celebration. I tend not to enjoy segments that are just fancy ways of saying "these people come out and talk", especially for main events. This was overlong but ended well.

This was not the best episode of Dynamite. In fact I'd say it would be lucky to be in the top 50%. Reserving the biggest names for the pay per view is smart, but it had the effect of nothing seeming that important. I felt more pumped by Elevation than Dynamite this week, and that's a shame. Viewed as a two hour preshow, this was very good. Viewed as an episode of Dynamite, it was desperately uneven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Regarding the racist commentary about Shida, they need to get out in front of it. Fire or release Urbina and get the other people on commentary to release statements about it. Make it clear it's unacceptable.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

Scorpio Sky is what happens when God works so hard to make sure someone has every attitribute to make a good wrestler that he forgets to add in the je ne sais quoi that makes a great wrestler

He reminds me of the Minoru Suzuki comments about how much he hates all rounders (and why he likes Jon Moxley)

https://www.njpw1972.com/71601

quote:

Suzuki: He’s a guy who stepped in my house and didn’t take his shoes off at the front door. The “former WWE Superstar Dean Ambrose”. Changed his look up a bit and here he is. Look, I’ve been watching him for a while, yeah. Can he grapple? No. Is he strong? No. Tough? No. He can’t do s**t.

–No?

Suzuki: Not. S**t. But that’s created a spot for him.

— I see.

Suzuki: Do you, though? Look at what makes a great wrestler. Tall, muscular, can kick, can throw hands, can suplex people, can tap them out, can fly, is charismatic. Get all that together and you have a cleanup hitter. That’s the kind of guy that makes hacks like you, or the fans in the crowd give them the nod.

–Right. The total package.

Suzuki: But make an all star team of guys like that, and they’re the most boring team in the league.
These days, you can make your own characters in the videogames, right?

–Yes, they have edit modes.

Suzuki: So some kid with their video game goes and makes their dream promotion, and it’s full of those aces right? But a baseball team that’s full of cleanup hitters won’t go anywhere. It’s the same for wrestling promotions.

–So, even though he was successful in the major American leagues, Jon Moxley is by no means the total package as a wrestler, in your opinion.

Suzuki: It’s a bit of a paradox, but it’s because of that he got chances in WWE. There’s nobody else like him, right? Nobody in the majors in America is like him. So he stands out. Nobody gets that. Look. An absolute all-round perfectionist, the perfect complete player, tens in every category? Not even Tanahashi is that. Naito isn’t that. They don’t exist.

–Those slants, the weaknesses make strengths stand out, and made Moxley stand out.

Suzuki: Hehehe… Everyone in this business is a mark, you included. You fans have this idea of ratings, of skill points. You put all those points in a hexagon graph and calculate an average; ‘oh he’s a good wrestler, over 80 overall’. BS. Who the hell will pay money to buy a ticket, and see a guy who’s a perfect hexagon, 8 out of 10 or above in all areas? The guy with zero overall, the guy who can’t do anything at all, he’s a better draw.

–Moxley is a unique breed? Organic, you mean? Real?

Suzuki: Why is Lance Archer popular? Why does Zack Sabre Junior have the support he does? Because there’s stuff they can’t do. Nobody in this goddamn business understands that. Wrestlers don’t understand that. Trainers, people teaching these kids don’t understand that for crying out loud!

–The system wants to create all rounders.

Suzuki: So the kids go in, and they train, and their trainers find what the gaps are in their games, and they try to fill those gaps right up. So you have this perfectly smooth, grey lump of boring trash. Fill in those holes on a wrestler and there’s no way in hell he’s filling seats with asses. It’s up to us to make people talk, to make them disagree. Make them argue. So Moxley? It’s because he can’t do s**t that he’s a good wrestler.

–So you actually rate him quite highly?

Suzuki: He has something very special about him.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I’m really coming around on Ethan Page, and Sky is at least starting to appear more comfortable in his role, but I really think he’d be served well by having a manager.

Page has this theatricality that I think could be a great asset. They just really need to let him absolutely go all out on someone.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I'm going to venture a guess that on Double Or Nothing weekend, while hosting their first two full capacity shows in fourteen months with all the logistical and support issues that raises, AEW probably has a few of their back office people available.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I voted for Andrade as Joker in the battle royal, but in hindsight I have to figure that if Tall Paul is on commentary he's in the match, right?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Ogogo for King.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Calling out another country's poo poo while not acknowledging his own is pretty good subtle heel work. I want Ogogo to punch Cody's jaw off.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

They should have a rival toy company do figures for Marshall, Ogogo, Solow, and Comoroto

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

My other brainwave is 28mm white metal figures of all the Critical Botch characters

and eventually 28mm figures for everyone plus a to-scale ring plus rules for the AEW ttrpg please and thank you

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

If Mox and Kingston don't beat the Bucks (and my suspicion is they won't) my preference would be that they ultimately lose to a homegrown AEW team. SCU, Omega and Hangman, FTR, and the Bucks are all great, but two years into the company I'd like to see a group that didn't have a profile pre-AEW get the gold. And there's a bunch of options for that.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

MJeff posted:

I feel like Ibushi wanted to respond to Omega saying Ospreay got hurt because he tried to be Omega, but didn't know where it was on Omega's twitter, so he just grabbed the first tweet he could and responded to it.

Twitter is like short books, so he doesn't trust it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Now imagining the feud between the Proper Bastard and the Right oval office

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Ogogo and PAC, complete with kiss. https://youtu.be/R9oZaP-my5E

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Seams posted:

Caught between cheering for the hated Pom or the despicable Seppo :negative:

Always cheer for Pom.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

Ngl the snack sitch at my supermarket was v dire and I wanted to skip the micro burg so this time I have some chicken bites and mini pasties to shove in the oven and some Haribo for when I'm flagging at 4am and need that sugar hit

Regular Haribo or Tangfastics?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

So you know how there was talk about whether Miro would attack Jake during the match?

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1399100169153662976?s=19

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Zombie Lemur posted:

Canned burger?

This is going to be Rarity's "was the grink there?"

https://twitter.com/murrman5/status/1179046435737800705?s=19

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Eat My Fuc posted:

What's the difference real question

Three Way Dance is elimination, if I remember correctly.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Man, same as last PPV, I use my phone and tunnel bear to order the PPV. Then I try to cast the stream to my roku tv but it will not play it.

Watching a PPV on a phone sucks!

rather than casting the stream, mirror the screen.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Drakkel posted:

The problem is we all know that's not going to going to happen. Britt Baker is basically the only woman in the company who can ever have a storyline or even speak basically. Besides Brandi, but she's not here anymore.

I think it's all but guaranteed that Shida won't be on Dynamite next week, there'll be no followup to her losing after a year long reign. She'll just vanish for a while and maybe start showing up on Dark/Elevation having 3 minute squash matches for like a year, until another heel (probably Jade) has the belt and they can throw her out on Dynamite for a 1-week feud before a PPV.

That's why it's kind of depressing that the Baker Coronation was such a foregone conclusion. It was never a story about Shida vs Britt, it was the story of Britt getting the belt. The title could have been vacant for the past year for all the story cared.

I have nothing against Britt, I think it is really amazing how far she's come since AEW started and if they'd told a good story and built a solid division I'd have no problem with it. The problem is they didn't do either of those things. They have effectively a one-woman division where Britt is the only woman that matters, and the rest of the women just exist to be bested by her.

My worry is it just turns into another version of Shida's run where have maybe 2 or 3 big matches they can do (Maybe Tay, maybe Riho, maybe Statlander?) but again every single one of those feuds is gonna be a foregone conclusion and once those are done what else have they got? A division full of Dark level talent that have never been treated as competitors to the people Britt will have beaten by then. Obviously she'll get 100 times as many promos as Shida or Riho or Nyla ever did, but how long can that sustain a champion? Thunder Rosa is the most obvious babyface to dethrone Britt, but she won't be free to join AEW officially until 2022 at the earliest so basically this just guarantees Baker is gonna be spinning wheels for at least 6 or 7 months because they just refuse to build anyone else.

Obviously AEW has limitations. TNT reportedly refuses to give the women any more screen time, so when they're basically limited to only devoting 10 minutes a week to the entire division they just focus on the one woman whose mega over. Maybe Rampage will help alleviate the problem and give them time to actually build some characters who can stand up to Britt, but I'll believe it when I see it frankly.

I agree, the Britt Baker reign that started about eight hours ago is obviously doomed due to all these things that haven't happened yet. Nothing ever changes, and obviously AEW have no interest in building up anyone in the women's division.

Sorry, Leyla who? Red who? Tay who? Jade who? These are just names to me.

I'm being flippant here, of course, and I would dearly love AEW to devote more time to the women's division, but the idea that it's this unsaveable wreck that's permanently in the doldrums is a year out of date at this point.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 31, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

And here's the dumbest thought I had during the pay per view. Was Wardlow getting an icicle as a weapon and someone on commentary saying "He's got an icicle" a convoluted Dusty Rhodes reference, or have I just not had enough sleep?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

The actual reason to critique the AEW women's division is the Japanese half of the title challenger Tournament should have lasted much longer and Aniki should have won the title and gone undefeated for the next 18 months because she rules.

Entirely true

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

One of the things that makes AEW such an enjoyable experience to watch is that you really get the feeling that most of the Kenny-and-the-Bucks tier talent are just looking for opportunities to put younger guys over and have it mean something.

Even Cody, who has a bit of a bad reputation when it comes to singles victories, clearly relishes the prospect of passing the torch to people like MJF.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

Ok folks I'm workshopping something here so just bear with me. How about Miro defending the TNT title against Brian Cage? :thunkher:

I'm listening...

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

smarxist posted:

Tay will probably get another shot in the next 6 months, just because she and Britt would have good chemistry I think

edit: have we ever seen Britt vs Nyla?

Untelevised on the Jericho cruise, plus as part of the 4 way with Kong and Kylie at DoN 2019.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Akileese posted:

I'm more curious what's next for the Bucks. I kind of talked myself into thinking they would lose because they've run through a good portion of that division. Maybe P&P? I don't think they'll run another FTR program.

The following teams haven't had a match with the Bucks during their title reign:

Faces:
Dark Order (Uno and Grayson, 5 and Dime, Silver and Reynolds)
Jurassic Express
Bear Country
Best Friends
Sting and Darby
Nightmare Family (any configuration)

Heels:
Sky and Page
FTR (well, apart from losing the titles)
Private Party
The Butcher And The Blade
Team Taz (any configuration)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Orange keeps disappearing into a broom closet, Fire Ant keeps weirdly stepping out

My god, you don't mean... Orange Cassidy and Fire Ant... co-own a broom closet?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

New BTE. Very Bucks-centric, much more vlog than the usual sketch show style. https://youtu.be/y5rAdBUZ1Zk

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

CarlCX posted:

The thing with the "when you beat Cody it makes you" thing is thus far in the entire history of AEW Cody has lost exactly four singles matches, and they were Jericho, MJF, Brodie and Darby, one of whom really did not need a victory over Cody to legitimize them and one of whom through no fault of anyone's wound up being tragically wasted, but at the end of the day it means he's functionally made two people, and in that same timeframe he's gone over Ogogo, QT, Penta, Scorpio, Jungle Boy, Lance Archer, Spears and Orange Cassidy. He had to stop Darby several times before Darby got his and he went over Orange Cassidy right after Cassidy's big hot streak where they put him over Jericho. It's not as simple as "Cody sucks and should lose all the time," but it's also not at all unreasonable for a lot of people to be frustrated with Cody's booking.

To put this in context, in the same time period Kenny has lost three singles matches: to Pac, Mox, and Jericho.

Moxley has lost two singles matches, both to Kenny Omega

Chris Jericho has lost four singles matches, to Mox, MJF, and Orange Cassidy twice.

Pac has lost five singles matches, to Kenny Omega three times, Jon Moxley, and Adam Page.

Orange Cassidy has lost seven singles matches, to Pac, Rey Fenix, MJF, Chris Jericho, Kenny Omega, Cody, and Brodie Lee.

MJF has lost one singles match, to Jon Moxley.

Cody is, in other words, booked like a main eventer. Which is what he is.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 31, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Aye Doc posted:

drat they should stop having OC lose to everyone imo

To be fair they mostly have. His loss last night was his first singles loss since December.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

If it weren't for other people complaining about him I wouldn't pay enough attention to Cody to have an opinion of him that extended beyond "not my favourite"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Number go up.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

Ohh missed the Pazuzu lettering on the gear at first. Love it.

Pinky Sanchez is All Elite

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is dynamite on Friday again this week?

Yeah. But I think back to Wednesdays after that.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Davros1 posted:

My favorite was when JR called a move "The Belly-to-Back Suplex" and Taz "corrected" him by calling it a "German Suplex".

They're the same thing. JR's sarcasm on that was great.

While the German suplex is a form of belly to back suplex, it's not the form usually referred to by this name, which looks like this:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I have no idea why my brain came up with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Mini arc where Serpentico realizes that normal tag teams provide support and safety

Also squares off with V and they just look at each other for a moment like "I know, man. I know."

Serpentico: all right, Five's in the corner, time for you to pick me up and bodyslam me into him.
Jack Evans: wait... why would I do that? Just dropkick him or something.
Serpentico: But that's what tag partners do, isn't it? Use you as a weapon?
Angelico: Serpentico, why are you crying?
Serpentico: I'M NOT CRYING! YOU'RE CRYING! *bodyslams himself into Five*