Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO WAS MOST OVER
This poll is closed.
ORANGE 57 34.34%
MIRO 32 19.28%
HANGMAN 30 18.07%
INNER CIRCLE 14 8.43%
BRITT BAKER 22 13.25%
CODY 6 3.61%
DARBY 5 3.01%
Total: 166 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Mons Hubris posted:

I can’t see Tony Khan putting up with that poo poo. I would guess dude will be fired before noon tomorrow, maybe Dasha too. Besides being incredibly racist, it also endangers the NJPW/Joshi relationships.

it's my general understanding that this isnt anything remotely new to japanese wrestlers even it's is also obviously hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MJeff posted:

Wanna hear where Naito got his eye taunt from?

i mean that's exactly what i was thinking of lol

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Shida deserved to be much more over than she was and I have no idea where they go with her from here.

lol at title defenses from here on out

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

deeb vs riho was seriously so good and imo britt should study the hell out of deeb's end of that match

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Alaois posted:

you should try watching the show sometime, it might help

They're not really incorrect.

In general the ongoing coronation of Britt sucked poo poo and it was ridiculous that an unequivocal heel was being treated as a valiant face by pretty much everyone in the company.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

yea ok posted:

that's what happens when you have a match like her lights out match, with the amazing media that came from it. she's a heel but if everyone's cheering and wants her to win it's better to let her win and be cheered than pretend she's not over in the way that she is

i don't necessarily disagree with the root of what you're saying but i think things got really loving ridiculous with it

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MJeff posted:

This part is absolutely right. It really started up after the Lights Out match, it's loving weird the way they push Britt. Like, to a point, yea ok is right, you should just let people react how they want to react, but the big push AEW made out of that match was how awesome Britt Baker was and how much rear end she kicked, except, she lost.

And they pretty much completely stopped acknowledging Thunder Rosa's existence on TV after that match, which, she won. It's like they put Rosa over and then after the match, decided to just pretend that Britt had won. And the way they did this 100% undercut Shida as a babyface champion.

It's weird, man.

I mean the simple answer is that people do have a limit on how much "HEY EVERYONE, LIKE THIS PERSON" rocket-pack booking they can receive before pushing back, and Britt going over potentially would have tripped that. So instead they have Rosa win in a match that that largely exists to put over Britt otherwise while having no real stakes, and everyone watching is happy: right person won, but man, did you see Britt?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

Are you more upset that they did that or that it worked?

Neither. It was sound, competent booking logic and given the state of the division at that specific point of time it's hard to single out anyone else in particular that definitely should have gotten that spot even if I think Rosa could have gotten that exact match out of some others. Tay is the only alternative I could give but that is 100% hindsight at work.

If I have any particular issue it's Shida largely being an afterthought in the division she was the champion and sole consistent, legitimizing performer in for much of her run, with my general feeling being that they went all-in on Britt at most every other woman's expense - Shida included. If someone just likes Britt I'm not going to be surprised if that's not a particular issue for them or demand that they should rethink anything based on my personal view of the matter. But ultimately I like Shida a lot and think she deserved more focus throughout her reign that she actually got whenever it wasn't time to head through the tunnel for a defense.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Cody should have lost here then wrestled the next match with a sheet of metal under his shirt, imho

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

agreed unironically

unless you werent makin a joke in which case agreed

longterm storytelling is no joke

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Lanky_Nibz posted:

I know Shida got a raw deal with picking up the title during quarantine, but I've always found her kinda inconsistent.

I feel like having a reign where ~half your defenses are against green or otherwise unremarkable talents will do that.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I will continue to lol at Miro yeeting the snake bag

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

That match is not nearly as memorable or effective with anyone but Riho

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

i would like his zone to be annexed by one of the others.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Britt would have a stroke trying to keep up with Mei lol

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Penguin Patrol posted:

They built one of the strongest anchors they absolutely could for a division while they've been building up a roster to support her on Dark. Doesn't sound too bad to me. Definitely not fair to discount all the work they've put into the division on Dark when it's not time to put them all on tv yet. Considering the pops that all their homegrown Dark talent got in front of audiences, they're doing just fine.

Someone who needs to be walked through their matches still to the point where it's a legitimate question as to if she's sandbagging or just loving up is an extremely poor anchor.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

"Watch the YouTube show whose relevance begins and ends when they need to hotshot someone up the rankings through some quick squashes" is not actually a solution to the piss-poor usage of women on Dynamite.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

Their women's division is fine now. They've usually got two women's matches on Dynamite and two really good matches on their PPVs. Don't know what you expect to get better until they can scoop up more women and use Joshi wrestlers more often

lol are we counting "In Action" as being remotely substantial now

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

Tell me your idea for making it better

Give TV storylines to women not named Britt Baker

What even is this post

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I imagine they will consider making time if the content is actually substantial

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Hangman gonna upgrade to tallboys

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Good, he's right

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Move Brian Cage to DO and let him enjoy having good friends who will respect his wishes for non-interference

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

Didn’t she just graduate like right before AEW started? It certainly sounded to me like she was working for an existing established practice, not that she owned her own.

Yeah her Wikipedia page says she works at a Florida private practice with no mention of owning one

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I do hope we see more substantial tournaments once Rampage starts up.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Davros1 posted:

When SCU won the Tag Titles, Tony flat out said there'd be no Freebirding of the titles. I got the impression that he didn't care for it.

He's correct not to

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I really hope it was essentially some rando in attendance and not some rando there to wrestle because lol at loving yourself over just to...post anonymous spoilers to reddit.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Deeb/Riho is significantly underrated there

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's a case where you could probably get a good story out of it but I'm not sure if the heat from trying to take Brodie's spot is the kind of heat you want. I feel like it could go over really well or really badly, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

All I want for Omega/Jungle Boy is a match without shenanigans like Omega/Fenix. No Good Brothers. No Bucks. No Callis. Omega can beat some people clean.

Forget it, it's Bullet Club