Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

baseball may seem boring to a lot of people but what many people don't understand about baseball is that it's actually cool and I like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matti
Mar 31, 2019

are the giants mediocre yet?

.608 huh

let's disappointment

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Zisky posted:

The strike zone is beyond the plate this season.

https://twitter.com/mlberrors/status/1387470595990949888

this is the most insane call i've ever seen

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

matti posted:

are the giant mediocre yet?

.608 huh

let's disappointment

they're pretty decent but it's likely unsustainable in that division

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

here's some more of my proposals to make baseball more fun. mlb feel free to use any of them since you can only come up with stupid bullshit

1. whether the DH is used is decided not by who the home team is but instead by coin toss five minutes before first pitch
2. the sudden death home run contest idea. it'd be like penalty kicks in soccer so it'd be sophisticated
3. swinging and missing at an intentional ball thrown for an intentional walk doesnt count as a strike and you're allowed to leave the batters box
4. manager playcall challenges can only be initiated after bench clearing brawls
5. shohei ohtani and mike trout get to play for good teams

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shear Modulus posted:

here's some more of my proposals to make baseball more fun. mlb feel free to use any of them since you can only come up with stupid bullshit

5. shohei ohtani and mike trout get to play for good teams

A monkey paw curls

Rest are good ideas

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

every team should have some sort of target in the stands and if you hit the target you get extra runs

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the all star game shouldnt be NL vs AL but instead MLB vs NPB

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

If they're gonna try and change the rules for the fans' sake, don't half-rear end it. Take a page out of Blaseball's book and have the fans vote on wild rule changes that take effect every week. The Orioles get a fourth strike now. Three randomly selected Dodgers are redistributed to other teams.

Just do not give Angel Hernandez and CB Bucknor the power to incinerate players.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

tinstaach posted:

Baseball is good as hell, I used to work for a stats analytics company (AMA!)

What skill was most important for getting hired?

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

refs are baseball cops and have been doing a particularly bad job this year and at points it feels like it's on purpose

Strike zones are objectively improving, but it feels like ejections are getting more and more unjustified.

Shear Modulus posted:

the all star game shouldnt be NL vs AL but instead MLB vs NPB

World Series winners should play an exhibition against the Japanese champion every year, it would be awesome. Even though the MLB team would almost certainly win.

The upcoming labour stoppage is going to suck. Players deserve half the league revenue, at least.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My proposals for improving baseball:

1) Put Barry Bonds in the Hall

...idk why I put proposals, it's really just the one

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

When did HOA board members start getting jobs as MLB umps. This is pathetic.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

someone got put on the injury list because they got hurt taking off their shirt :laffo: this sport rules

https://twitter.com/MandyBell02/status/1397283437749407750

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Chris James 2 posted:

someone got put on the injury list because they got hurt taking off their shirt :laffo: this sport rules

https://twitter.com/MandyBell02/status/1397283437749407750

remember to properly stretch before posting or injuries like this can occur

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Mustached Demon posted:

they're pretty decent but it's likely unsustainable in that division

They do have 38 games against the diamondbacks and rockies. That's 25+ wins right there.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
I like a team that everyone else hates. I'll still cheer for that garbage tho.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Robo Turnus posted:

I like a team that everyone else hates. I'll still cheer for that garbage tho.

Astros fan spotted.

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

people still watch baseball?

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Francona begging the ump for the mercy rule was pretty lol last night.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I like it in baseball when somebody gets on base and starts chatting with his buddy on the other team :)

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Chamale posted:

What skill was most important for getting hired?

For the seasonal positions where you just watched baseball all day and logged a million different data points, being able to work on a schedule that included nights and weekends for $8 an hour. Part of the draw for a lot of these guys (and it was almost exclusively guys) was that we were a really good line to have on a resume if you wanted to join an MLB team's operations department, but if you didn't want to leave and you were good with our software you might get hired onto our ops team.

For salaried positions, bullshitting. (Although SQL and R skills were pretty helpful too)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Zisky posted:

This belongs on the first page since it singlehandedly might get more goons to watch baseball.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1397975925971632128?s=19

oh god i only just noticed there were already 2 outs lmfao

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

tinstaach posted:

For the seasonal positions where you just watched baseball all day and logged a million different data points, being able to work on a schedule that included nights and weekends for $8 an hour. Part of the draw for a lot of these guys (and it was almost exclusively guys) was that we were a really good line to have on a resume if you wanted to join an MLB team's operations department, but if you didn't want to leave and you were good with our software you might get hired onto our ops team.

For salaried positions, bullshitting. (Although SQL and R skills were pretty helpful too)

two people in the private polling company i interned/worked with in college ended up in baseball ops departments after a winding road.

i think one of them is fairly high up in Arizona's group now but I'd have to double check, I haven't followed up with him in years.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

an enjoyable job (if you don't want to make any money at all and just enjoy baseball) is being a game scout for MiLB teams. You basically just watch baseball all day and log everything that happens and take a bunch of picture of dude's pitches and swings.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

baseball stats are as corrupt as basketball stats

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

WAR must be forgotten

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Stats driven baseball definitely makes the game less fun.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Chamale posted:

Strike zones are objectively improving, but it feels like ejections are getting more and more unjustified.

Strike zones are one of those things where the TV and the way we consume baseball has objectively warped our perception of it. They're not really boxes in practice, and if we switch to auto refs calling the box that you see on screen, its going to change the game massively (and probably give pitchers an even bigger advantage).

Most umps call something that looks more like an oval, and the outside corners don't get worked as much because its gonna be 50/50 in most cases if you get the call there.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Zisky posted:

Stats driven baseball definitely makes the game less fun.

The problem is that the game is so divisible that you can create stats for just about anything.

Also WAR is a dumb stat because it doesn't properly weight defense.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Stats killed small ball and I'll never forgive that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if you have the time baseball is a great sport tho because you get to know the players very well and the season becomes a nice story especially when the team is good

teams not even competing like Pittsburgh is a number because there is no point investing in any of it . the players will be gone and they won’t win

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

euphronius posted:

if you have the time baseball is a great sport tho because you get to know the players very well and the season becomes a nice story especially when the team is good

teams not even competing like Pittsburgh is a number because there is no point investing in any of it . the players will be gone and they won’t win

Small market teams having only brief windows of viability every few years isn't great, but they still can win WS rings (see Kansas City recently).

Sure sucks when its Detroit and Pittsburgh rn. Detroit won't even try to compete until Cabrera's contract is done.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

small market is a scam too come on

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Baseball is great! I live about a mile from the college baseball stadium and it was fun to walk over to watch games on the weekend. I used to have my son strapped in that little carrier thing when I went to buy snacks/beer and if I didn't have him the people working would ask where he was. It was cute. It's too bad they aren't letting anyone in this season because we're moving but it was fun while it lasted. There's a minor league team in the county we're moving to so that might be fun.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

"Small market" is an excuse for having a lovely farm system, imo.

The Rays are small market and developed a ton of good players and low and behold.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Zisky posted:

"Small market" is an excuse for having a lovely farm system, imo.

The Rays are small market and developed a ton of good players and low and behold.

They also run a skeleton salary budget and trade anyone who's making more than low 7 figures.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

You really do have to hand it to Silverman.

Also the idea of the Rays becoming the Expos for half the season is cool af.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Greg Legg posted:

Baseball is great! I live about a mile from the college baseball stadium and it was fun to walk over to watch games on the weekend. I used to have my son strapped in that little carrier thing when I went to buy snacks/beer and if I didn't have him the people working would ask where he was. It was cute. It's too bad they aren't letting anyone in this season because we're moving but it was fun while it lasted. There's a minor league team in the county we're moving to so that might be fun.

MiLB is a superior product to the majors imho.

Our rookie affiliate got cut by the recent MiLB restructuring. They're doing a full season in the independent league this year (100-esh games) with a team of R and low A washouts. As we were short season rookie ball, the team might actually be better this year??

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Schnorkles posted:

MiLB is a superior product to the majors imho.

Our rookie affiliate got cut by the recent MiLB restructuring. They're doing a full season in the independent league this year (100-esh games) with a team of R and low A washouts. As we were short season rookie ball, the team might actually be better this year??

I keep meaning to make it to a Quakes game but that idea lost steam with covid, I think I'd go see a game at Chavez Ravine if I was gonna go see any baseball right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Schnorkles posted:

Small market teams having only brief windows of viability every few years isn't great, but they still can win WS rings (see Kansas City recently).

Sure sucks when its Detroit and Pittsburgh rn. Detroit won't even try to compete until Cabrera's contract is done.

It's such a bummer to see what's happened to him and Pujols. First-ballot hall of famers who were the most fearer hitters in the game, and now their names are the only things keeping them on a major league roster.

Jesus god I just looked up Miggy's contract and not only does it have two more years on it, it also has $30m vesting options if he finished in the top 10 of the MVP voting in his age-40 and age-41 seasons :psyduck: