Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Aardvark! posted:

the movie should just open with him at the hotel or w/e telling the elevator guy to take him to the chronomancy suite. he then loads up a katana and some ninja stars and walks through a door labeled "Feudal Japan". he then starts killing people for the next 2 hrs periodically leaving portals and getting different loadouts from some character actor that calls him Sir and asks him poo poo like "Will Sir have the bastard sword, or the claymore?" and John Wick takes one and does cool martial arts with it to test the balance before saying "Both"

and that's the entire movie, no plot

I mean, it wouldnt take much effort to make a serviceable plot of chasing a guy through history, but you got to fit in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The first movie is the only good John wick movie. The other movies are ruined by unwanted world building, criminal meetings and shopping trips, and the stupid themed assassins, especially the silenced pistol fight in the crowd where nobody notices

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

OP is loving stupid.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

it stinks!!!!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

how do i bring ebert back to life to agree with me

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The knife throwing fight where they're scrambling so they can't throw properly and are getting hit with the handles and stuff was pretty cool.

I lost count of the number of times I've seen John wick take a guy down, grab his opponent's gun, headshot two guys who appear in a doorway then shoot his opponent in the head. maybe it didn't happen hat much but it sure felt like it did.

All the desert stuff was really dumb.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

After John Wick blasted and shot his way through, like 100 dudes and killed them all and blew up 1000 cars and finally tucked and rolled right into the bad guys office, stood up, and brushed bloody glass off his own, almost broken form, put his glasses on, and said "...I'd like to borrow $2." And then they both went to the circus?
drat.
drat that was intense.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I don’t like the John wick movies but it’s only cause I don’t care for promoting the killing of dogs and other animals

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Saw Nobody with friends last night after alcohol and pizza, it was really great and fun. I like the John Wick movies and enjoy the style of action set by the Raid for martial arts and now Wick for weapons play. It's made movies better.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

im glad you had fun :)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i hope gunplay schlock movies go into the deepest rear end in a top hat of the sun and die

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The heavy armored guys at the end of John Wick 3 don't even flinch or react from bullet impacts IMMERSION RUINED

1redflag posted:

I don’t like the John wick movies but it’s only cause I don’t care for promoting the killing of dogs and other animals

It's promoting what happens after someone kills a beloved pet.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I actually met Keanu Reeves once and he was pretty cool, then I sucked his dick but it turned out later he wasn't really Keanu Reeves

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I like Bob Odenkirk in Call Of Saul but I have issue with John Wick because I was told that John Wick went on a rampage because someone killed his dog and then I saw the film and the rampage was because the dog was an emotional surrogate for his dead wife. Dead wife revenge stories are dime a dozen. Avenge the dog, rear end in a top hat.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

vaginite posted:

I actually met Keanu Reeves once and he was pretty cool, then I sucked his dick but it turned out later he wasn't really Keanu Reeves

whoa

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I like sexy gun shoot guy and I wish he would put his gun in my mouth and pull the trigger, and by gun I mean love gun, and by love gun I mean penis, and by penis I mean actual loaded gun to kill me with

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
John Wick sucked I'll never watch the sequels Mr Reeves!! Just because someone kills your dog doesn't mean you can go on a genocidal rampage, think of the children Keanu!

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If I want to look at mooks blindly running into gunfire I watch WW1 footage thank you very much

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
And I do

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Waffle! posted:

I like the part when John Wick shoots the guy.
Good news! It's been done already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MrnAJsxL8c

This rules

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Also gently caress you op, barqs has bite, bitch!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
ugh. john wick. dont get me started. you cannot take that guy anywhere.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

poverty goat posted:

The first movie is the only good John wick movie. The other movies are ruined by unwanted world building, criminal meetings and shopping trips, and the stupid themed assassins, especially the silenced pistol fight in the crowd where nobody notices

Agree re: the first movie being a straight shot revenge flick

Second movie could have been a real dumb movie that contained all the ideas too dumb for the first movie

The silenced pistol fight and fight in a hall of mirrors are really cool visuals but its few and far between and it give you enough time to think about the world and it dies

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I liked the part where John Wick shoots a guy in the dick, takes off his sunglasses, and goes "I'd buy that for a dollar!" as he grins and makes a thumbs-up to the camera.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
John "Matrix" Wick-Anderson

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I liked the first fight scene in Nobody, where he isn't an ntouchable ninja assassin, just tough and willing to keep fighting despite taking a beating. Then he became an untouchable ninja assassin and I lost interest. Went from Die Hard 1 to Die Hard 4.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bad Purchase posted:

I was also underwhelmed by John Wick compared to all the praise it got.

it got a lot of praise because people were expecting it to actively suck when it came out

and it was marginally better than the average dreck comic book action movie

so of course for the sequels they learned zero lessons and made an R-rated version of the same poo poo that sucks about comic book movies

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The first one was OK. The second I watched because my wife wanted to see it. The third I turned off after the third setpiece fight scene.

I don't care anymore. Over choreographed 1v1 gunkata fights just as boring as "punchman hero vs millions of obviously CGI baddies" fight scenes.

Im fine with low brow humor just gimme something that isn't just visual pablum for ADHD afflicted toddlers.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Just got back from Nobody. I liked it more than John Wick, which I also liked but not as much. I did not expect Christopher Lloyd, so that was a pleasant surprise. The plot is entirely predictable, but it didn't take itself seriously and had good action.

Anyways, here's a quote from this review for their ads:

"Nobody does action better than Nobody!"

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Gatts posted:

enjoy the style of action set by the Raid for martial arts and now Wick for weapons play. It's made movies better.

Watch the show Gangs of London, it was made by the Raid guy and has action scenes that are more visceral and fun than nearly everything you'll see in actual action movies. Putting an ashtray in someones mouth and smashing their face on the bar is extremely good.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
i like dogs

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

I think the John wick movies are too smart for op. I mean they are dumb movies but op is that much dumber

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Taste in movies is highly subjective and beyond reproach, OP.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

John Wick came to my house and wanted to go swimming and convinced me to change clothes with him and then we showered together by mistake he said and he gave me $20 not to tell my family. I'm almost 40 so that's a nice little chunk of 'me' cash to have laying around just because John Wick wants to share a towel for the environment or whatever imo. I told him he didn't have to pay me but he seemed pretty insistent.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

im watching who killed captain alex and its way better than john wick

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Never trust goon movie reviews. I was convinced that The Descent was a good movie. It aint. Its the john wick of spelunking movies. So, shithouse

Atomic blonde is the same, except with more scissoring and squirting scenes.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If you don't like the fight scenes in John Wick you are truly bitchmade. Its fair enough if you don't really like the b-grade graphic novel plot though.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Aardvark! posted:

Shut up idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Hector Delgado posted:

First one was good, then :rolleyes: LORE :rolleyes: ruined the rest.

Pretty much,
Doesn't work if the "get revenge on everyone while self destructing as a person" trope has to keep on running for another 2 more movies.