Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

If you don't like the fight scenes in John Wick you are truly bitchmade. Its fair enough if you don't really like the b-grade graphic novel plot though.

look all im saying is that its no rumble in the bronx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wow I'm real mad at the implications that descent is a bad movie. I mean in the horror genre it's got to be at least 4/5 right

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm almost done watching Nobody and it's pretty great. It really leans into the absurdity of the genre.

Holy poo poo that ending.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
My friend loves these movies and recommended them. I watched the first one ages ago and I dont remember it. I watched the 2nd one last month and I think I legitimately ended up getting bored by seeing so many people shot in the head. Ian McShane is loving wasted in these.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

GolfHole posted:

look all im saying is that its no rumble in the bronx

in all fairness very very few modern movies are similar to hong kong martial arts films at all, its an unfair standard

Harold Fjord posted:

I'm almost done watching Nobody and it's pretty great. It really leans into the absurdity of the genre.

Holy poo poo that ending.

I liked how it gets sillier as it goes along

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
John Wick was refreshing when it came out. It's a throwback to the 80s, a simple revenge flick executed very well using modern technology without using modern story telling devices such as heavy CGI, wire fighting, shakey-cam or quick jump cuts.
Chapter 2 carries the 80s action flick feel, especially as a sequel. New enemies, world building, and more development of the artistic style. The action scenes start to drag in a few places, where watching Keanu execute foot soldier after foot soldier after foot soldier feels like they're just filling cinematic space.
Chapter 3 carries the 80s action movie feel further, with the action picking up almost literally where the last movie left off and building up to the antique store fight, which IMO is easily one of the best fight scenes filmed in the last few years, if not ever. However, the 2nd act is just dog poo poo. The visual style developed across Killer New York is abandoned for some random rear end desert adventure, and if I thought Keanu blasting random bad guys dragged on the 2nd movie, it feels like a chore in the 3rd. There's an action sequence where Keanu and Halle and her dogs are just wiping people out as they run haphazardly onto the sound set for at least a solid ten minutes. Nothing is accomplished, they all die the same way. However, once the vaguely nonsensical 2nd act is done, Chapter 3 snaps back into the fun, stylish action with a return to the Killer New York and an impressive final battle

Personally I think the John Wick movies are Keanu's Commando. Simplistic story and plot to set up visually interesting action sequences, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I'd like to add the CGI for the blood and muzzle fire in John wick is kinda dogshit and the cgi dogs are also kinda bad.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

john wick was a cool thing that came out of nowhere and it should have stayed that thing but of course hollywood had to try to force feed us the john wick cinematic universe

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Harold Fjord posted:

John wick was fine but it was no Shoot Em Up

A film that knew it was ridiculous and just leaned all the way in. Shout out to Punisher War Zone and the two Crank films too, we need more action films that are over the top, dumb fun.

*edit: I'm going to watch Ninja Assassin again, I remember that being fairly silly.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Wow I'm real mad at the implications that descent is a bad movie. I mean in the horror genre it's got to be at least 4/5 right

The US release got the 'happy' ending which ruins the film. It basically stops about a minute short and fucks everything up.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 30, 2021

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My heart is filled with joy and satisfaction watching John Wick 1, it really boils down to it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If you don't enjoy John Wick 1 you're probably a joyless, painfully boring sadsack.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The US release got the 'happy' ending which ruins the film. It basically stops about a minute short and fucks everything up.

Yeah I know, I've seen both endings. It's too bad that you have to hold US movie goers by the hand and promise that everything ends well and they all live happily ever after.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

She comes back in the sequel so she survived either way!!!!

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
John wick is some cool action in some dumbass poo poo written by a kid

What if we had a hotel full of elite assassins

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You're loving trash, OP

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Pimpcasso posted:

itd be badass, thats what it would be

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Caesar Saladin posted:

itd be badass, thats what it would be

Yup

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hotel Artemis had kind of the same premise of a John Wick movie if I remember right. At least in that it was about a secret hotel for killers and criminals. I enjoyed that one as well.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Pimpcasso posted:

John wick is some cool action in some dumbass poo poo written by a kid

And they're all paid in gold doubloons

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Johnny Walker posted:

Hotel Artemis had kind of the same premise of a John Wick movie if I remember right. At least in that it was about a secret hotel for killers and criminals. I enjoyed that one as well.

Hotel Artemis was pretty good. I was blown away by the surprise villain! Hilarious.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
What if John Wick fought an Utahraptor with a quarterstaff?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
What if Leon the professional fought John Wick?

I'd say Leon wins because he can battle a hundred policemen whereas john basically just shoots up spas and discoteques

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I feel like I live in a parallel universe where John Wick doesn’t really exist because not only have I not seen the movies but I’ve never really known anyone else who had seen the movies or talked about the movies.

Usually when there’s a popular media thing you can’t avoid it even if you try, it just gets shoved in your face everywhere you go for years until people burn out of it. But I heard so little of the John Wick franchise I had completely forgotten it was a thing even when I saw a joke about Keanu the other day. Only this incredibly specific thread was able to remind me that I had once seen a trailer for I think the 2nd one.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The 3rd John Wick was the one where it became undeniable that this franchise didn't have much more than its first movie.

2nd was...okay.

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

Aardvark! posted:

Shut up idiot.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just want a movie where people take cover realistically. please. make this movie. john wick can shoot them through drywall, it's fine, i'm just so sick of bad guys running up to him with their guns drawn but not shooting.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

GolfHole posted:

i hope gunplay schlock movies go into the deepest rear end in a top hat of the sun and die

This but your posting.

sad question
May 30, 2020

(Frowning) This is not realistic. He's been fighting for hours without having to pause to take a poo poo??

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

not to get too wild but you could just not watch them and watch a movie in a genre that you actually like

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Orange Carlisle posted:

not to get too wild but you could just not watch them and watch a movie in a genre that you actually like

wow rude

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Orange Carlisle posted:

I watched Star Trek: The Motion Picture last night. :)

I enjoyed it.

I didn't really enjoy how often you could see peoples dicks through the jumper.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Orange Carlisle posted:

im sure they love action movies but only ones from 1970s Japan or something

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The kind of person who hates John Wick movies probably also hates Fast and furious movies, fun, and enjoying life in general.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

If you don't enjoy John Wick 1 you're probably a joyless, painfully boring sadsack.

I'm a joyless, painfully boring sadsack and I still liked it.

lmao at all the teenagers whose poor lives have been so dominated by MCU movies that they honestly thought a throwback revenge shooter with solid fight choreography was a mold-breaking sign of depththough

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Shinjobi posted:

The 3rd John Wick was the one where it became undeniable that this franchise didn't have much more than its first movie.

2nd was...okay.

1st one was good, as you saw the assassins could be anyone in this assassin club of theirs. Hirable by local gangs

2nd one made them all James Bonds with fancy suits all the time. But outmatched by hobos.

3rd just made them full out Illuminati. And still outmatched by hobos in the end.

Still watchable.

Better than that Kingsman sequel turd.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 30, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I watched a movie last night that sounded from the description like it would cool movie but it was actually 20 minutes of things happening, all of the action happens off screen, and the remaining hour is the main character experiencing PTSD in various places. Perhaps the OP would prefer that instead?

"You Were Never Really Here"

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
MORE LIKE JOHN DICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
it was kind of like if Taxi Driver was made again but not nearly as well. and then they advertised it like it was Oldboy or something lol

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

sad question posted:

(Frowning) This is not realistic. He's been fighting for hours without having to pause to take a poo poo??

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Constantine is a much better Keanu film :)