Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Bah, that's what I get for doing it when I should be going to bed. I'll need to buy another Long Connector, but here:

My post has been updated with correct financials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

berryjon posted:

Bah, that's what I get for doing it when I should be going to bed. I'll need to buy another Long Connector, but here:

My post has been updated with correct financials.

Done.

Just waiting to see if Decoy Badger wants to build anything else or not.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Revision: Set one building platform to breakthrough research, the other continues to charge 26.5.

Eloi Wusk: "I'm going to keep my cash in the EOS bank for what I do best: Wait to see the best idea someone else has, then buy a copy and claim I invented it!"

I just hacked together the image in GIMP from a screenshot of the manual PDF, it's a lot easier to play spaceship legos than with monospaced code blocks!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Decoy Badger posted:

Revision: Set one building platform to breakthrough research, the other continues to charge 26.5.

All right. Here's the news, and there's a lot of it:
  • NASA officials announced the profitability of space pharmaceutics has not yet been realized.
  • New interest in high tech is expected to boost the physics industry.
  • In an interview, Wall Street analyst Jane Walters stated space fabrication is not expected to be profitable in the near future.
  • EOS Bank officials said that there have been concerns about power requirements for large furnaces.
  • Engineers built a prototype personal telephone network.
  • After a closed door meeting, NASA director Dan Lokinar said tMasters Inc., builders of station modules increased the price for the Propulsion Unit module to 62.7.
  • EOS Central announced a price increase for the Mass Driver module to 57.6.
  • NASA officials stated that higher supply charges drove up the operating cost for the Mine/Ore benef module to 18.0.
  • Higher raw material costs from Clipper Mill Alloys increased the price for the Mine/Ore benef module to 40.1.
  • E&A broker analysts reported higher supply charges drove up the operating cost for the Space Hospital module to 60.5.
  • Higher raw material costs from Clipper Mill Alloys increased the price for the Space Alloys Lab module to 52.6.
  • Hopkins Construction announced a price increase for the Space Tug module to 27.0.
  • Last month, NASA officials stated EOS Central raised the operating cost for the Solar Collector module to 2.4.
  • Wall Street analyst Jane Walters said Hopkins Construction announced a price increase for the Life LH2 module to 14.2.
  • Higher supply charges drove up the operating cost for the Life A module to 2.5.
  • Space Shuttle Explorer made a spectacular night landing at Cape Canaveral.
'Mine/Ore benef' appears in the game in multiple places, and I don't know why; a glitch in the code, maybe? I have no idea what 'benef' might stand for. At any rate, only the Solar Collector and Life A are currently available for construction.

As for the market...
  • Forestry: 336.2 (up 76.8)
  • Pharmaceutics: 272.7 (down 22.8)
  • Medical: 246.2 (up 24.3)
  • Biology: 227.9 (up 23.6)
  • Communications: 222.0 (up 11.6)
  • Physics: 211.4 (down 3.1)
  • Construction: 207.8 (up 3.9)
  • Transport: 207.8 (up 3.9)
  • Energy: 205.2 (up 2.6)
  • Materials: 203.1 (down 3.4)
  • Sciences: 184.4 (down 7.8)
  • Entertainment: 182.8 (down 8.1)
  • Fabrication: 181.2 (down 8.4)
  • Information: 171.9 (down 13.5)
  • Agriculture: 160.6 (down 21.0)
  • Resources: 100.5 (down 41.2)
Overall, the market rose 0.5%. I overestimated Pharmaceutics by 37.5% (!) and Physics by 8.1% and underestimated Biology by 8.4%.

I saw 98% usage of my Solar Collector, but only 41% use of my Pharmaceutic Labs, thanks to that market unexpectedly tanking. As a result, I'm 40.8 credits down from where I expected to be, which is going to hamper my growth.

That said, I do have enough to put a Building Platform on. I won't start researching with it just yet, though; as I said, I'm still in growth mode. It just happens to be a good investment right now. I'll charge 27.5 for it, a mere 26.2 for my Pharmaceutic Labs, and 20.8 for the Solar Collector.

Berryjon got 100% usage out of his Solar Collector and Shuttle Port both, which doesn't surprise me; I would have charged more (and I did charge more for the Solar Collector). So he's right where he expected to be.

As for Decoy Badger, he gets 100% usage out of his sole commerce mode Building Platform...

...and no research breakthroughs this turn. Your move!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Canadian Space Arm-and-Leg Agency - "Where you don't pay what we have to!
Summer '96 - Turn 2

The Director looked over the financial reports for the past quarter. "Excellent! Excellent! This is to be expected. I see room for improvement in a couple of areas, but I accounted for this. Soon. Soon we will be ready to begin the Great Work."

"Uh, sir, you're sounding a little religious there."

"Shush you! Anyway, one piece of the puzzle at a time. A simple expansion... here."

"Just another Solar Collector? Of course sir. I see the logic in this." The Nameless Intern agreed with the development.

"Excellent! EXCELLENT! SOON All shall see the glory that is CANADA!"

73.9 Cash Cash, 10.4 Loan.
Solar Collector (60 Credits)
Loan Payment (13.9 Credits)

+3 Life, +19 GGym, +110 Power

Energy: Charge 20
Transport: Charge 75

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

berryjon posted:

"Excellent! EXCELLENT! SOON All shall see the glory that is CANADA!"

Meanwhile, at the offices of Futuron:

"Weird. I have the strangest feeling. Like someone's sucked out all of my megalomania. ...ah well." Fred stretched, then relaxed at his perfectly normal desk, looking around his perfectly normal office. Well, with more bright colors and plastic than your typical office, but bright colors were cheery and plastic was an excellent building material.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Set both building platforms to breakthrough research. I'm also pretty sure "ore benef" means ore beneficiation AKA isolating the minerals of interest.

Eloi Wusk: "Progress has been slowed by the fully autonomous space arm operator shoving the fully autonomous space arm through the test article. But we will get this dry dock operational by the end of next quarter with the release of Full Self Automation v2.0!"

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Decoy Badger posted:

Set both building platforms to breakthrough research.

It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em. EOS News!
  • Last month, NASA officials reported that Alleghany Resources forecasts steady growth.
  • In an interview, EOS director Robert Kann announced there is optimism about the future of the sciences industry.
  • Space economists announced companies have been reluctant to enter the science market.
  • According to unnamed sources, top industry analysts said that forestry satellites have improved forestry management.
  • New exploration technologies have resulted from resource research.
  • In an interview, EOS director Robert Kann announced Player 3 received an emergency loan.
    This is because I put all of Decoy Badger's funds into savings, but he had operating costs. As previously mentioned, he wasn't actually charged interest on that loan, so we can pay it back this turn.
  • In a prepared statement, space economy analyst Jeff Patton stated that higher supply charges drove up the operating cost for the Space Colony module to 53.8.
  • Higher supply charges drove up the operating cost for the Mass Driver module to 12.3.
  • EOS Central announced a price increase for the Mass Driver module to 65.8.
  • In a news conference, E&A broker Stephanie Daniels reported logistics expense has raised the operating cost for the Dry Dock module to 8.8.
    I don't know if this does anything or not. At any rate, if we save enough money to deploy all of the Dry Dock modules at once, it's a non-issue.
  • Space economist Dave Ward said EOS Central raised the operating cost for the Computer Lab module to 4.8.
  • Space Shuttle Constitution touched down at dawn before a large crowd at Edwards AFB.
Market news!
  • Forestry: 393.0 (up 56.8)
  • Medical: 273.0 (up 26.8)
  • Biology: 254.0 (up 26.1)
  • Pharmaceutics: 242.1 (down 30.6)
  • Communications: 233.7 (up 11.7)
  • Construction: 211.7 (up 3.9)
  • Transport: 211.7 (up 3.9)
  • Energy: 207.8 (up 2.6)
  • Physics: 204.9 (down 6.5)
  • Materials: 195.3 (down 7.8)
  • Sciences: 177.6 (down 6.8)
  • Entertainment: 175.0 (down 7.8)
  • Fabrication: 173.4 (down 7.8)
  • Information: 159.4 (down 12.5)
  • Agriculture: 142.1 (down 18.5)
  • Resources: 87.3 (down 13.2)
Overall, the market rose 0.6%. I overestimated Forestry by 9.8% and Pharmaceutics by 3.8% and underestimated Resources by 18.4%; my overall prediction accuracy was 97.6%.

I got 95% usage on my Solar Collector, 97% usage on my Pharmaceutic Labs, and 100% usage on my Building Platform, falling just 2.7 credits short of my expected income.

That means I have 90.2 credits to expand, and I do, bolting on a second Building Platform, a Chemical Lab (mainly because it doesn't cost much), and a Life B to support both. I'm upping the Building Platform charge to 28.0 and the Solar Collector charge to 21.0, but I'm dropping the Pharmaceutic Lab charge to 25.9, and I'm only charging 16.1 for the Chemical Lab.

Berryjon got 100% usage on all modules again.

As for Decoy Badger, none of his modules were in commerce mode...

...and he still hasn't made any breakthroughs.

New turn, what do?

e:

Decoy Badger posted:

I'm also pretty sure "ore benef" means ore beneficiation AKA isolating the minerals of interest.

I learned something today! :eng101:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

"Sir?" The Nameless Intern entered into the office of the Director, "We're ready for this quarter's development cycle."

"Let me see," the hooded figure of the Director commanded, and the Intern passed the information over. "Yes, YES!" the man chortled. "We are almost there. Just one more touch before we can begin. Add these to the station."

"A second Life Module, Class B, and a second Transport hub? Yes sir, I see your brilliance."

"It will only be brilliance once we have our plans come to fruition. Soon. SOON! BWAHAHAHAHA!"

The Nameless Intern fled, wondering if he should start sneaking something into th Director's tea to calm him down.

Turn 3 Summary:
92.1 Cash on hand, 21.8 Loan.
Life B Module (18 Credits)
Shuttle Port (77 Credits)
95 Credits Spent, 2.9 taken from loan.

+6 Life, +14 GGym, +40 Power

Energy: Charge 21
Transport: Charge 77

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Pay off the loan, set one building platform to charge 25, leave the other on breakthrough research.

Eloi Wusk: "We are continuing to debottleneck our Starship Megafactory. Imagine four piles of VC money burning at the edge of a cliff. Research works the same way."

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Berryjon's station updates...

...and Decoy Badger's. It is now Winter 1996. The news:
  • After a closed door meeting, E&A broker Stephanie Daniels stated oil shortages have created strong demand in the solar energy industry.
  • There is optimism about the future of the sciences industry.
  • Ending weeks of expectation, space economists reported that the profitability of space pharmaceutics has not yet been realized.
  • Wall Street analyst Jane Walters reported there have been concerns about power requirements for large furnaces.
  • New construction machinery has reduced the time needed to build projects.
  • Space economy analyst Jeff Patton stated that EOS Central raised the operating cost for the Galley & Gym module to 6.1.
  • Space Shuttle Discovery mission was one of the most commercially successful since the program began.
And the market:
  • Forestry: 438.9 (up 45.9)
  • Medical: 302.7 (up 29.7)
  • Biology: 283.2 (up 29.2)
  • Communications: 246.3 (up 12.6)
  • Transport: 216.0 (up 4.3)
  • Construction: 215.6 (up 3.9)
  • Pharmaceutics: 215.4 (down 26.7)
  • Energy: 212.8 (up 5.0)
  • Physics: 198.4 (down 6.5)
  • Materials: 186.9 (down 8.4)
  • Sciences: 179.7 (up 2.1)
  • Entertainment: 167.2 (down 7.8)
  • Fabrication: 166.5 (down 6.9)
  • Information: 147.7 (down 11.7)
  • Agriculture: 125.8 (down 16.3)
  • Resources: 77.1 (down 10.2)
Overall, the market rose 1.1%. I overestimated Forestry by 4.5% and underestimated Sciences by 4.8% and Resources by 1.6%; my overall prediction accuracy was 99.1%.

I got 98% usage on the Solar Collector, 100% usage on the Chemical Lab, 100% usage on the Pharmaceutic Lab, and 98% usage on the Building Platform, leaving me just 1.7 credits shy of where I expected to be and with 116.1 credits to spend.

It feels weird to be building so many Building Platform modules for commerce instead of research, but the market has supported my decision thus far. I modestly increase my charge for them to 28.5, while increasing the Solar Collector module to 21.8, the Chemical Lab module to 16.2, and the Pharmaceutic Lab module to 26.4.

Berryjon continues to get 100% usage on his modules.

And Decoy Badger gets 100% usage on one Building Platform module...

...and his first research result, an enhancement, from the other! He is now at Construction tech level A03. As a reminder, here's what Construction research unlocks:
  • Construction A50: the Life LH2 module. A more efficient source of Life than the Life B module, though a little more awkward to place.
  • Construction B00: the Fabrication Lab module. The only other source of Construction research; at base demand, I'd rate it as somewhat worse than the Building Platform at commerce, primarily due to increased support and maintenance costs. That said, it's no worse at research per unit size, it has a second attachment point, and it also produces Fabrication research, which will be necessary in a later mission but right now means that, if the Fabrication market suddenly swells, it'll make more money.
  • Construction B50: the Dry Dock module. This is the victory condition: we need to deliver twenty of these, at (currently) ten credits a pop, to Low Earth Orbit. It's up to you when you want to save up those 200 credits.
The Fabrication Plant and Space Colony modules, both unlocked with Construction D00, are outside the scope of this mission.

So Decoy Badger is off the starting line, but he needs 147 more Construction research to have the finish line in sight. At his current rate of producing research, I estimate it'll take him... somewhere around 75 turns to do so. He might want to step up his game.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

"So it begins. Now that we have a solid economic foundation, we can begin to research the necessary advancements for the Dry Dock."

The Nameless Intern paused. The Director was sounding... normal. Maybe he didn't need to do this?

"IT BEGINS!"

There was a crash of thunder, and the Nameless Intern poured a little something extra into the brew...

Turn 4 Summary:
160 Cash Cash, 15.8 Loan.

Long Connector (8 Credits)
Building Platform (34 Credits)
Pay Loan (34.2 Credits)
To Bank - 41.8

+2 Life, +10 GGym, +0 Power

Energy: Charge 22
Transport: Charge 78
Building: Research/Normal

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
:lol: I thought breakthrough research gave more like 15-20 a shot. Guess I should've read the first round more carefully!

New additions: Long connector, life B, station power, space telescope. Take out a loan!

Set all modules to commerce mode, charge 27 for each one.

Eloi Wusk: "We are serving humanity by launching the James Weeb Space Telescope. It will make anime 30x more real than the Earth-based equivalents!"

In reality, most space telescopes don't work well with space stations. There's too much vibration and radiation leaking from the rest of the station to get a good viewing platform, especially in infrared and visual bands. There's also the difficulty of pointing when there's a big space station taking up half the visual field. Salyut 6 had two telescopes on it but neither seemed particularly successful.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

[*]Construction B50: the Dry Dock module. This is the victory condition: we need to deliver twenty of these, at (currently) ten credits a pop, to Low Earth Orbit. It's up to you when you want to save up those 200 credits.

I was planning an optimized Drydock station and this raises a question. Do we actually need to build a station for the Dry Dock, or can we just fire up 20 Modules and be done with it?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

berryjon posted:

I was planning an optimized Drydock station and this raises a question. Do we actually need to build a station for the Dry Dock, or can we just fire up 20 Modules and be done with it?

The latter. The Dry Dock station is one of the advanced station designs (see my second post). They aren't modular; you just ship the needed number of cargo modules to the correct location, and ding, you have an advanced station.

Update coming later; I have a few things to catch up on.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Cool! I was thinking that I had to build a full station for the Dry Dock, especially as each module has a connector and the like.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

berryjon posted:

Cool! I was thinking that I had to build a full station for the Dry Dock, especially as each module has a connector and the like.

Ah, that comes later, with missions requiring the Cargoliner.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Sorry for the delay. Minecraft distracted. Anyway! I missed this earlier:

Decoy Badger posted:

:lol: I thought breakthrough research gave more like 15-20 a shot. Guess I should've read the first round more carefully!

You may have missed it, but despite the station being set on breakthrough, it only produced an enhancement. Research is still a mystery to all of us due to the small sample size, and when I said '75 turns' it'd be best read plus or minus 25.

berryjon posted:

"IT BEGINS!"

Uh, actually it doesn't. Right now you have:

Module Name         #  Power  Life  GGym
Building Platform   2    -40    -4    -4
Command             1      0     0     0
Galley & Gym        1    -10     0    24
Life B              2    -20    16     0
Logistics           1      0     0     0
Long Connector      4      0     0     0
Shuttle Port        2   -140   -10   -10
Solar Collector     2    200     0     0
-----------------  --  -----  ----  ----
Total              15    -10     2    10

You can certainly afford to fix this problem, but I do need to know how you intend to.

As for Decoy Badger...

...no problems there.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

Uh, actually it doesn't. Right now you have:

You can certainly afford to fix this problem, but I do need to know how you intend to.

"So it begins. Now that we have a solid economic foundation, we can begin to research the necessary advancements for the Dry Dock."

The Nameless Intern paused. The Director was sounding... normal. Maybe he didn't need to do this?

"IT BEGINS!"

There was a crash of thunder, and the Nameless Intern poured a little something extra into the brew...

Turn 4 Summary:
160 Cash Cash, 15.8 Loan.

Short Connector (5 Credits)
Pay Loan (11 Credits)

+2 Life, +10 GGym, +90 Power

Energy: Charge 22
Transport: Charge 78
Building: Research/Normal

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Berryjon amends his build. And I note, for future reference, that you set prices and research priorities on modules, not activities. I figured out what he meant easily enough, but if you built something that provided more than one activity, you'd set the price for the thing as a whole.

Spring 1997! And now, the news:
  • In an interview, Wall Street analyst Jane Walters said energy consumption will remain steady during the next year.
  • According to unnamed sources, EOS Bank officials stated thirty-day weather forecasts from weather satellites now 90% accurate.
  • In an interview, EOS Bank chairman James Buchanon said that the profitability of space pharmaceutics has not yet been realized.
  • Fluid dynamics research is providing higher strength alloys.
  • NASA officials stated higher supply charges drove up the operating costs for the Jupiter Explorer module to 17.5.
  • During the last quarter, EOS Bank officials reported EOS Central raised the operating cost for the Shuttle Port module to 12.2.
  • Space industry insiders reported that higher raw material costs from Clipper Mill Alloys increased the price for the Biology Lab module to 40.9.
  • Space economy analyst Jeff Patton reported EOS Central raised the operating cost for the Forestry Lab module to 1.2.
  • Logistics expense has raised the operating cost for the Space Telescope module to 5.1.
  • Space Shuttle Constitution made several bold advances in space science during its mission.
And in the financial news:
  • Forestry: 490.0 (up 51.1)
  • Medical: 335.4 (up 32.7)
  • Biology: 315.7 (up 32.5)
  • Communications: 259.3 (up 13.0)
  • Pharmaceutics: 226.9 (up 11.5)
  • Transport: 221.2 (up 5.2)
  • Construction: 219.5 (up 3.9)
  • Energy: 210.3 (down 2.5)
  • Physics: 201.1 (up 2.7)
  • Sciences: 184.8 (up 5.1)
  • Materials: 179.1 (down 7.8)
  • Fabrication: 160.0 (down 6.5)
  • Entertainment: 159.8 (down 7.4)
  • Information: 137.2 (down 10.5)
  • Agriculture: 111.4 (down 14.4)
  • Resources: 68.1 (down 9.0)
Overall, the market rose 2.9%. I overestimated Energy by 3.5% and underestimated Pharmaceutics by 15.5% and Physics by 4.5%; my overall prediction accuracy was 98.3%.

I saw 90% use on my Solar Collector, 96% use on my Building Platforms, and 100% use of all other modules. I'm not sure why the Solar Collector use was so low; yes, I overestimated the demand for Energy, but I wouldn't think that little an overestimation would ding me that badly. Still, it's 6.8 credits less than I was expecting, which isn't horrible.

I swear I'm only building all these Building Platform modules because they're profitable, but I won't deny they'll be helpful come research time. Also, I have enough funds now to dip my toe into the Transport market. Also also, I have enough different types of modules that it's worth breaking out a list for my module charges:
  • Building Platform: 29.1 (up 0.6)
  • Chemical Lab: 16.3 (up 0.1)
  • Pharmaceutic Lab: 30.5 (up 4.1)
  • Shuttle Port: 83.8 (new)
  • Solar Collector: 20.8 (down 1.0)
And, as a minor trivia note: my current station has all of its needs met exactly.

Berryjon had a 5.3 credit earnings difference due to only getting 92% use on his Solar Collectors - wait, why did he get more use on his when he charged more than me? Is it because he has more, and so folks are attracted to the convenience? Weird. Eerie.

Anyway, as I was saying, his Shuttle Ports got 100% usage. He also had operating costs of 44.5. Since I'm curious if those operating cost changes hit this turn or will hit next turn, I did the math. Without the changes, his operating costs would be 57.6; with them, they would be 65.3.

You will note a certain lack of equality. I thought maybe he'd attracted a sponsor for his research, but if they paid his operating costs for those, that'd only save five credits, which still doesn't make the numbers add up. At any rate, he got two enhancements, putting him at A05 in Construction technology.

I decided to check Decoy Badger's station too. He had 27.2 operating expenses, when I was expecting either 36.8 or 39.5. I don't know what's going on here; do I have a typo in my module data? Is the manual wrong? I checked the in-game module data, and it all matched up to my expectations. I'll have to track it more closely next mission; for now, consider it a bonus.

Anyway, he got 95% usage on the Space Telescope module and 100% usage on the Building Platform modules, losing 1.4 credits of income. With that, I turn things over to you two!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

New items:
Weather Centre
Weather Centre
Long connector

Charges:
Building platform 1: 27.5
Building platform 2: 27.5
Space telescope: 27.0
Weather Centre 1: 9.0
Weather Centre 2: 10.0

Use the remaining cash to pay down the line of credit.

Maybe the extra idle crew reduced Opex somehow?

Eloi Wusk: "I have listened to complaints from the astronomy community about my glorious Gigastation disrupting viewing sessions. In response, I have graciously upgraded our Gigastation with Weather Centres so we can tell you when it's going to be cloudy and you can whine about something else for once."

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Fred; how is moving modules around handled in-game? Not just between stations, but also in re-jiggering existing stations if possible.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

berryjon posted:

Fred; how is moving modules around handled in-game? Not just between stations, but also in re-jiggering existing stations if possible.

Simple: you don't. The instant you choose the a tile on the placement screen, the game puts what was the lower left corner of the module before any rotations there (if it can), and it's there forever, no backsies, no preview of its connection. The only exception is the Cargoliner delivering cargo. I messed up a Shuttle Port connection during the first mission, though I was able to work around it.

It's worth noting that you have a limit of 32 stations total. I assume advanced stations count against that, but I won't know for sure for a while yet.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Plan B it is then!

(No quippy quote today, I'm doing this in the morning before I head to work. Please note to self that I've reached maximum vertical spacing on the station, and I only have three more spaces on the right to work with before I need to build Station #2)

Turn 5 Summary:
172.2 Cash, 0 In Bank, 24.5 Loan.

Pharma Lab (32 Credits)
Pharma Lab (32 Credits)
Galley Gym (25 Credits)
Life B (18 Credits)

+4 Life, +28 GGym, +150 Power

0 Cash, 0 in Bank, 21.7 Left in Loan

Transport: Charge 80
Pharma: Charge 30
Building: Research/Enhancements (All)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Speaking of things that can't be taken back, I figured out part of the puzzle as to how things got so corrupted that one time: the game sometimes saves to the disk even when you don't tell it to. Specifically, when you switch stations or perform actions like sliding a station in the grid, it does some saving. There may be other times too.

On an unrelated note, at some point I'm going to go through the updates and see if I can find a pattern in the inconsistency of operating costs. But for now, a few quick questions before I can update...

Decoy Badger, you can't set prices for modules per each; all of a given module have a given amount. Do you want me to set them both to 9.5, or...?

Berryjon, you don't actually need another Galley & Gym module yet. (I didn't check the Life B module, but I noticed when I added the Pharmaceutic Lab modules that I actually could activate both). Do you want to build it anyway, or wait until later?

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Set them both to 9 then.

I'm realizing that these missions are meant to be a lot bigger than I originally anticipated, between the 32 station per mission limit (?) and the pace of research. I probably would have given up and played Doom instead if I was trying to hotseat this game in the 90s with my friends.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

Berryjon, you don't actually need another Galley & Gym module yet. (I didn't check the Life B module, but I noticed when I added the Pharmaceutic Lab modules that I actually could activate both). Do you want to build it anyway, or wait until later?

Sure. But I'll build it first thing next turn. take the savings, pay off my loan, and toss the rest into the bank, please.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Decoy Badger posted:

Set them both to 9 then.

I'm realizing that these missions are meant to be a lot bigger than I originally anticipated, between the 32 station per mission limit (?) and the pace of research. I probably would have given up and played Doom instead if I was trying to hotseat this game in the 90s with my friends.

The manual does say that you can expect game play to take days. Hopefully you save each time you quit and don't wind up with a corrupted mission disk.

berryjon posted:

Sure. But I'll build it first thing next turn. take the savings, pay off my loan, and toss the rest into the bank, please.

By my math, your cash available after construction is 46.7, which isn't enough to completely pay off your loan. I did what I could, though. (I begin processing your turn by pulling out all your savings and credit line, and I end it by putting money first in paying off the loan, then into savings. You don't have to specify.)

Anyway! It is now Summer 1997. The news:
  • According to unnamed sources, NASA officials reported despite introduction of five new information products, markets remain sluggish.
  • E&A broker Stephanie Daniels stated that Alleghany Resources forecasts steady growth.
  • Investors have been slow to invest money in the physics industry.
  • Engineering problems have forced delays in several construction projects.
  • KSC director Jason Depard said cell material important to biology research has been produced in space.
  • A Wall Street report said that Hopkins Construction announced a price increase for the Computer Lab module to 44.1.
  • In a news conference, NASA director Dan Lokinar reported EOS Central raised the operating cost for the Short Connector module to 1.2.
  • tMasters Inc., builders of station modules, increased the price for the Short Connector module to 5.7.
  • Space Shuttle Columbia mission was one of the most commercially successful since the program began.
  • Space Shuttle Sd/hLV F was unveiled at a brief ceremony.
Still don't know what's up with that Shuttle name; a bad entry in the names list? Also, I Googled "Dan Lokinar", wondering if he was a real person (either in the space industry or in EA's employ), without success. If anybody knows if any of these names have significance, please share!

As for finances:
  • Forestry: 547.0 (up 57.0)
  • Medical: 371.8 (up 36.4)
  • Biology: 351.7 (up 36.0)
  • Communications: 273.2 (up 13.9)
  • Pharmaceutics: 257.6 (up 30.7)
  • Transport: 226.4 (up 5.2)
  • Construction: 214.4 (down 5.1)
  • Energy: 206.4 (down 3.9)
  • Physics: 195.6 (down 5.5)
  • Sciences: 190.0 (up 5.2)
  • Materials: 171.3 (down 7.8)
  • Fabrication: 153.5 (down 6.5)
  • Entertainment: 153.3 (down 6.5)
  • Information: 131.6 (down 5.6)
  • Agriculture: 98.8 (down 12.6)
  • Resources: 61.0 (down 7.1)
Overall, the market rose 3.6%. I overestimated Construction by 4.1% and Physics by 4.0% and underestimated Pharmaceutics by 7.2%; my overall prediction accuracy was 98.6%.

My usages were:
  • Solar Collector module: 94% (I charged 20.8).
  • Chemical Lab module: 99% (I charged 16.3).
  • Pharmaceutic Lab modules (2): 100% (I charged 30.5).
  • Shuttle Port module: 98% (I charged 83.8).
  • Building Platform modules (5): 85% (I charged 29.1).
That puts me 25.1 credits below where I expected to be. The Building Platform modules underperformed a lot this turn, which is unfortunate, given how many of them I have. Still, if wishes were horses and all that.

The Shuttle Port module, with attendant Solar Collector module, was a pretty easy call. After that, my commerce program suggested another Pharmaceutic Lab module, but I'm not comfortable with the reliability of those markets, and less so with its second pick (another Resource Platform module). The more reliable picks were a Chemical Lab module or a Building Platform module; the program suggested the latter as the better choice, but I decided to go with my gut, and with my increasingly limited station space, and build the smaller module. I rounded things off by filling a 1x1 space with a Weather Station module. (And now I regret putting that second Galley & Gym module where I did, as I forgot about the two tiles I could have accessed from the Shuttle Port module. Oh well, as I said, no backsies!)

...and then I realized that, due to a math error, I'd missed that I didn't actually have the power to activate the Weather Center module, and I don't have the funds left to put another Station Power module on. Oh well x2!

Commerce settings for this turn are:
  • Solar Collector modules (2): 20.3 (down 0.5).
  • Chemical Lab modules (2): 16.2 (down 0.1).
  • Weather Center module: 6.9 (new module type; down 3.1 from default charge).
  • Pharmaceutic Lab modules (2): 35.2 (up 4.7).
  • Shuttle Port modules (2): 85.7 (up 1.9).
  • Building Platform modules (5): 27.2 (down 1.9).
I continue to focus on commerce, so no research results.

Berryjon had 100% usage on everything, so he's right where he expected to be! (Which probably means he could have charged a bit more.) As instructed, I build the Galley & Gym module he wanted immediately, leaving him with 260.5 credits available. He also got one enhancement, putting him at Construction A08.

Decoy Badger, by comparison, is five credits short of where he wanted to be; he had 95% usage on the Space Telescope module and only 80% usage on the Weather Center modules, though his Building Platform modules performed as expected. No research for him this turn.

One last thing before I let you loose to figure out your turns: since you're both going to the effort of making images, could you make my life a little easier and somehow color-code new construction, if any?

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 24, 2021

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Turn 6 - Summer 97

The Director woke up, groggy and drooling over the papers on his desk. "GGYM!" he shouted as he snapped upwards and awake. "Oh no! I slept in!"

The Nameless Intern sighed in relief. It was good that the Director had a chance to relax and let his mania go. "Sir, the requests for the status of the Station are on your desk."

"Good, good," the Director said. "Yes, I was right, we're ready. Well, almost. Time to Build Building Row on the edge of our station. In fact, I think this should qualify us as a specialty station, unless I messed up somewhere."

"Yes sir," The Nameless Intern was slightly impressed by the Director's foresight. "With seven Building Modules on the station, we qualify under E.O.S Guidelines, which means that our systems, working in tandem should have a greater chance of Breakthroughs in technological development."

"How much of a greater chance?"

"It... doesn't say, sir."

"OK, we'll play it that way then, see if it works out better than going slow and steady."

260.5 Credits, 0 Bank, 46.4 Loan

LifeB (18 Credits) (+8/0/0)
LongC + Building Module X5 (210 Credits) (-10/-10/-100)
Pay Loan (3.6)
Put into Bank (28.9)

+2 Life, +18 GGym, +50 Power

Transport: Charge 85
Pharma: Charge 30
Building: Research/Breakthrough (All)

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Now with 100% more remembered LPix logins! I hope the new part highlighting isn't too obnoxious.

New parts:
Life B
Station Power
Pharmaceutics

Put the remaining cash towards the loan.

Charges:
Building platform: 28
Space telescope: 26.5
Weather centre: 8.5
Pharmaceutical: 29

The SD/HLV stands for Shuttle-Derived Heavy Lift Launch Vehicle! It was the latest hotness when this game was being developed.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Decoy Badger posted:

The SD/HLV stands for Shuttle-Derived Heavy Lift Launch Vehicle! It was the latest hotness when this game was being developed.

Interesting! Feel free to sprinkle other fun space facts into the thread.

Berryjon, those 260.5 credits available included the 46.4 cash to loan. The 32.5 credits you had left over after construction therefore all went to paying down that loan. Other than that, your turn was completed without issue, and, as you expected, your station now qualifies as a Construction Base.

Decoy Badger, if you could make the new modules blink a little more slowly, that'd help. Maybe one second on, one second off?

It is now Fall 1997. In the news:
  • Forestry satellites have improved forestry management.
  • Agriculture analysts forecast slow growth in their industry.
  • There have been concerns about power requirements for large furnaces.
  • Space economist Dave Ward said that companies are making more frequent use of the space transport system.
  • Bailey Transport announced a new line of space tugs.
  • In a prepared statement, NASA director Dan Lokinar said higher raw material costs from Clipper Mill Alloys increased the price for the Fabrication Plant module to 35.5.
  • Space industry insiders stated skyrocketing maintenance expenses increased the cost of the Settlement Life module to 12.2.
  • EOS Central raised the operating cost for the Building Platform module to 3.0.
  • E&A broker analysts said that higher raw material costs from Clipper Mill Alloys increased the price for the Galley & Gym module to 27.7.
  • Space Shuttle Explorer made a spectacular night landing at Cape Canaveral.
And in finances:
  • Forestry: 619.2 (up 72.2)
  • Medical: 412.0 (up 40.2)
  • Biology: 391.8 (up 40.1)
  • Pharmaceutics: 292.2 (up 34.6)
  • Communications: 287.5 (up 14.3)
  • Transport: 234.3 (up 7.9)
  • Construction: 206.2 (down 8.2)
  • Energy: 202.5 (down 3.9)
  • Sciences: 195.2 (up 5.2)
  • Physics: 186.5 (down 9.1)
  • Materials: 164.5 (down 6.8)
  • Fabrication: 147.0 (down 6.5)
  • Entertainment: 146.8 (down 6.5)
  • Information: 126.4 (down 5.2)
  • Agriculture: 106.8 (up 8.0)
  • Resources: 54.5 (down 6.5)
Overall, the market rose 4.7%. I overestimated Physics by 2.0% and Construction by 1.5% and underestimated Agriculture by 18.0%; my overall prediction accuracy was 98.3%.

My module usages were:
  • Solar Collector modules (2): 93% (I charged 20.3).
  • Chemical Lab modules (2): 99% (I charged 16.2).
  • Weather Center module: inactive due to lack of support.
  • Pharmaceutic Lab modules (2): 96% (I charged 35.2).
  • Shuttle Port modules (2): 97% (I charged 85.7).
  • Building Platform modules (5): 93% (I charged 27.2).

All in all, I'm 21.0 credits down from predicted. And now I wonder: if I had lowered my prices to capture that extra demand, would it have been worth, well, the lowered prices? Economics 101.

You may have noticed that my loan limit has gone up! The first thing I do is add a Station Power module and a Life B module so I can activate my Weather Center module. That leaves me with enough money to pay off my loan and buy a new station, but not enough to actually make the new station profitable, so I cap the current station off with another Weather Module and put the rest in savings.

• Solar Collector modules (2): 19.9 (down 0.4).
  • Chemical Lab modules (2): 16.1 (down 0.1).
  • Weather Center modules (2): 7.3 (up 0.4).
  • Pharmaceutic Lab modules (2): 39.4 (up 4.2).
  • Shuttle Port modules (2): 89.7 (up 4.0).
  • Building Platform modules (5): 25.8 (down 1.4).

Berryjon got 100% usage on all modules again, as well as three breakthroughs! His Construction tech level is now A38; he's well on his way to the Life LH2 module. He's also earned a single tech point (the threshold for earning them must be different in different missions), which would mean he was winning if anything mattered but Dry Dock modules shipped. He didn't get a research sponsor, though; maybe next turn!

As a reminder, in order to build a new station, you must have your loan completely paid off and still have 250 credits for the license. You can then take out a fresh loan, but to build my 'bare minimum' station (Command, Logistics, Galley & Gym, Life B, and two Long Connectors) costs another 101.7 credits, thanks to the recent increase in the Galley & Gym module's price.

Decoy Badger, by contrast, had 96% usage on his Space Telescope module, only 86% usage on his Weather Center modules, 100% usage on his Pharmaceutic Lab module, and 95% usage on his Building Platform modules. No research for him or me this turn.

Have at it!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Turn 7 - Fall 97

"Everything is going apace. It's time to sit back and build our resources up," the Director said. "I'm not sure about the competition though, someone might try to pull ahead of us. Especially when they start their second station ahead of us, and try to Brute Force their way past our own research efforts. But for now, let's maximize the current station."

"Also, ask the CBC if they want to sponsor the naming of our stations. But we'll need a second station now to expand any further. Materials engineering won't allow for a bigger station. Let's not forget what happened when someone tried..."

226.9 Credits, 0 Bank, 30.8 Loan

Short Connector (5 Credits)
Resource Platform (21 Credits)
Pay Loan off.
Put the Rest into the Bank.

+1 Life, +17 GGym, +40 Power

Pharma: Charge 35
Resource: Charge 7.5

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

New items:
Long connector
Long connector
Building platform
Building platform
Station Power

Charges:
Building platform: 27
Space Telescope: 26
Weather Centre: 8
Pharmaceutics: 31

Eloi Wusk: "The Gigastation is on track to fully automated dry dock production with the help of my latest invention: interchangeable parts to reduce downtime!"

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Congratulations on the cheevo! :toot:

And Decoy Badger continues to truck along. This would have been a good turn to consider a loan from the Bank of, well, either of us. And now, the news for Winter 1998:
  • After a closed door meeting, space economist Kevin Vetter stated that forestry satellites have improved forestry management.
  • EOS Bank officials announced the fabrication industry is expected to grow over the next few years.
  • Alleghany Resources forecasts steady growth.
  • In a prepared statement, KSC director Jason Depard announced a colony design team has survived two years inside a man-made biosphere.
  • Higher raw material costs from Clipper Mill Alloys increased the price for the Propulsion Unit module to 69.9.
  • Last month, NASA officials said tMasters Inc., builders of station modules, increased the price for the Jupiter Explorer module to 28.1.
  • Higher raw material costs from Clipper Mill Alloys increased the price for the Agriculture Lab module to 62.3.
  • Space Shuttle Discovery made a spectacular night landing at Cape Canaveral.
  • Space Shuttle Pacific is the newest Space Shuttle in a successful space transport system.
And in finances:
  • Forestry: 700.1 (up 80.9)
  • Medical: 456.5 (up 44.5)
  • Biology: 436.4 (up 44.6)
  • Pharmaceutics: 331.6 (up 39.4)
  • Communications: 302.9 (up 15.4)
  • Transport: 243.4 (up 9.1)
  • Energy: 199.0 (down 3.5)
  • Sciences: 198.6 (up 3.4)
  • Construction: 198.4 (down 7.8)
  • Physics: 177.6 (down 8.9)
  • Materials: 158.6 (down 5.9)
  • Fabrication: 149.3 (up 2.3)
  • Entertainment: 140.3 (down 6.5)
  • Information: 121.2 (down 5.2)
  • Agriculture: 119.4 (up 12.6)
  • Resources: 48.5 (down 6.0)
Overall, the market rose 5.5%. I overestimated Sciences by 1.0% and underestimated Fabrication by 5.7% and Agriculture by 3.3%; my overall prediction accuracy was 99.2%.

My loan limit has gone up again; the rich get richer. My module usage was:
  • Solar Collector modules (2): 96% (I charged 19.9).
  • Chemical Lab modules (2): 99% (I charged 16.1).
  • Weather Center modules (2): 100% (I charged 7.3).
  • Pharmaceutic Lab modules (2): 94% (I charged 39.4).
  • Shuttle Port modules (2): 94% (I charged 89.7).
  • Building Platform modules (5): 98% (I charged 25.8).
Overall, I'm down 20.2 credits of expected earnings - but that still leaves me a hell of a lot. Which means it's time for me to shift into phase two: preparing to blitz you both with research. To that end, I found a new station...

...which doesn't quite reach Construction Base status on my budget, but it's getting there.

• Solar Collector modules (2): 19.6 (down 0.3).
  • Chemical Lab modules (2): 16.0 (down 0.1).
  • Weather Center modules (2): 7.6 (up 0.3).
  • Pharmaceutic Lab modules (2): 44.1 (up 4.7).
  • Shuttle Port modules (2): 93.6 (up 3.9).
  • Building Platform modules (11): 24.8 (down 1.0).
In case you're wondering, the reason that list isn't alphabetical is because that's the order of the modules on the Commerce and Research setting screens.

Berryjon once again gets 100% usage...

...and four breakthroughs, putting him at Construction A78. He is now able to build the following module:

Life LH2: "Living areas for sixteen mission crew. The module is built by refabricating the LH2 portion of the external tank." Costs 12 credits to build, two shuttle tons to launch, and 2.4 credits to operate. Provides 16 Life; requires 15 Power to operate. Requires Construction A50 to build.
The Life LH2 is a significant upgrade over previous life support options, costing less than the Life B both to buy and operate and providing twice the life support. There are a few caveats, however. First off, you have to research it. Second, although it's smaller than two Life Bs, it doesn't have the second attachment point, so it's less convenient to place. It's also a weird size for a module, 3x1. Get around those issues, though, and you're good to go.

With his savings, he has enough money for a new station license, and would have 233 credits afterwards, enough to do something with. Or he could be generous and offer a loan to...

Decoy Badger, taking up the rear with 96% Space Telescope module usage, 91% Weather Center module usage, 100% Pharmaceutic Lab usage, and 92% Building Platform usage.

Go.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 21, 2021

berryjon
May 30, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

Congratulations on the cheevo! :toot:
Thanks! Oh, and for you....

FredMSloniker posted:

Life LH2: "Living areas for sixteen mission crew. The module is built by refabricating the LH2 portion of the external tank." Costs 12 credits to build, two shuttle tons to launch, and 2.4 credits to operate. Provides 16 Life; requires 15 Power to operate. Requires Construction A50 to build.
The Life LH2 is a significant upgrade over previous life support options, costing less than the Life B both to buy and operate and providing twice the life support. There are a few caveats, however. First off, you have to research it. Second, although it's smaller than two Life Bs, it doesn't have the second attachment point, so it's less convenient to place. It's also a weird size for a module, 3x1. Get around those issues, though, and you're good to go.

While it's not clear, this does seem to imply that the LH2 is built out of the external fuel tank for the Shuttle, mirroring plans that were scrapped about carrying into orbit, rather than letting it deorbit on ascent and use it as a base shell for potential habitation.

This link is to a page dated 1998 with regards to the plan.

And for my turn...

Turn 8 - Winter 97

"Sir, are you sure about this?"

"I am."

"But the competition has built their second station already..."

"Yes, but it's not fully operational yet. We still have a headstart in terms of research, and we have more money in the bank right now."

"Speaking of..."

"Yes, I'll make the offer shortly. Don't you worry. So for this quarter, no expansion, just adjust our prices to the market, and we'll be ready react to developments from the other people involved."

"Yes sir."

239.4 Cash on Hand, 193.6 in Bank, 50/50 in Loan.

239.4 into the Bank.

Pharma: Charge 35
Resource: Charge 7.5

-----

I am willing to loan up to 100 Credits to Decoy Badger, at a repayment rate of 5 Credits per turn (No, I don't expect to get it all back), assuming that Fred is willing to match the amount being loaned.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 22, 2021

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
If the goal is to make someone more competitive versus Fred, we'd probably get more bang for the buck by me loaning money to Berryjon instead! Aggressive M&A strip mining, maybe.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Oh, I'm not out yet. Not by a long shot. I'm halfway to the goal already, and while, yes, Fed is going to explode, that won't be for two turns once he has his Construction Base up and running and he gets the bonus to the Breakthroughs. This is why I want to see how lucky he gets this turn, saving up to push through if I have to.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I already spent all my money for this turn, but I'll hold off on spending anything next turn until we've had a chat about finances and positions and stuff.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

:siren:

When I read this:

berryjon posted:

Oh, I'm not out yet. Not by a long shot.

I suddenly had a moment of crisis. Last mission, I got complacent. I thought I had victory in the bag because of a fatal misunderstanding of the research system, and while nothing I could have done when I realized the game was ending a turn early would have saved me, I sat on 500 credits rather than even attempt to improve my situation.

It occurred to me that I might be making the same mistake. With that in mind, I crunched through the information from previous updates and came to some conclusions... that I'm not going to share yet. One, because they might be wrong, and B, because I'm not going to underestimate berryjon this time. What I'm going to do with those conclusions, though, is throw all five Building Platform modules on my primary station into research mode (breakthroughs) right now. (The ones on the second station will remain in commerce mode until next turn.) As you may want to react to my decision, I won't advance the turn until I've heard from both of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

It occurred to me that I might be making the same mistake. With that in mind, I crunched through the information from previous updates and came to some conclusions... that I'm not going to share yet. One, because they might be wrong, and B, because I'm not going to underestimate berryjon this time. What I'm going to do with those conclusions, though, is throw all five Building Platform modules on my primary station into research mode (breakthroughs) right now. (The ones on the second station will remain in commerce mode until next turn.) As you may want to react to my decision, I won't advance the turn until I've heard from both of you.

You mean all six, right? I mean, I already assumed this second base was a research one, so you clarifying that was appreciated. That you had them as commerce was something that slipped my mind. That's what I meant when I said 'Lucky'. I wanted to see how lucky your research was.

I will stay with my choices this turn, and will save up for a second station next turn, or not depending on how the RNG likes me.