Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
you don't need to break up the Celtics discussion that is already happening and going fine to put it somewhere people are less likely to look just because they've been out of the playoffs for like five seconds imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I remembering being the one person who hated the Schroeder trade and it took most of the year but ultimately I was right, great job by me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think it's quite as star heavy as it was initially sold but it's a good draft.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I keep seeing two guys linked to Toronto: Davion Mitchell and Keon Johnson. What's the story with these guys?

there is a draft thread I answered this there

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 4, 2021

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
At this point I assume woj gets a percentage on jvg's contract in exchange for putting him in every coaching search

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

indigi posted:

why is the nba cap so complicated

they have a lot of rules meant to make it easier for teams to keep their own players and to prevent good teams from being completely unable to add players

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

From Cavs beat reporter Terry Pluto, possibly trying to depress free agent market, possibly true

Two NBA people I respect suggest the Cavs trade Sexton. One likes him a lot, one is lukewarm. But their point is the team should only sign Allen (a restricted free agent) to a $100 million deal. Because of the Love contract, the Cavs can’t pay Allen and Sexton tons of cash without crushing the salary cap.

Sexton is good but they probably should trade him if they can get any decent offers because you can't have a real team with he and Garland playing together and Garland is probably going to be better.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Shai would be a good guy to pair him with since he's big enough to cover for him on defense while running point on offense but yes post-Durant and Harden they are opposed to players who can shoot as a general rule so Sexton is out.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Trading Curry was just bizarre, you'd think you'd want as much shooting as possible around someone like Luka. I guess the hope is that Terry eventually develops into something like that but he's going to need a couple year before he can hold up physically.

I think Josh Green can be a solid rotation wing eventually, especially on D, but I don't know if he really fixes the issues that they had in this series. He's not a great shooter and a rookie isn't really going to slow down Kawhi.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
This isn't just a hindsight thing, I said it was bad at the time too. Josh Richardson was really bad last year and the "we need more creation" thing always sounds a lot more important with ultra heliocentric guys like Luka and LeBron than I think it ever actually is. Short of them adding another elite player Luka's usage isn't going to change that much, having a truly elite shooter is way more important than having a marginally better creator who isn't going to get that many chances to create. If if you put Luka with Chris Paul or Kyrie then yeah, sure, that extra creation becomes really valuable. If you put him with Josh Richardson then Josh Richardson is going to be mostly hanging out off ball and he's much worse at that than Seth Curry.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 7, 2021

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Having another option for creation would be great but the other option has to be actually good. They're not taking the ball out of Luka's hands in crunch time to run pick and rolls with Josh Richardson

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I'm more disappointed in that then I thought. I thought it was Monty or McMillian or nobody. But I guess Thibs did a good job too.

rude as hell to quin

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1403098093839654917?s=19

Howard currently has two sons on the team so not terribly surprising. I do think if he keeps winning he will probably wind up in the NBA eventually but maybe that's wishful thinking.

So far Hardaway's biggest strength as a coach has been recruiting so that's a really weird name

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I think the Lakers are going to have to pay Caruso like 12 million to keep him and people will laugh at it but what can be done, they need him.

it's me i'm people

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

The Mavericks really need to start hitting on draft picks if they ever want a chance of contending with Luka, so getting rid of Donny nelson is smart

Oh you mean the man who drafted Dirk and Luka and...uh, well I'm sure some other people in between there

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Devin Harris was good for a bit but his best season was with the Nets. Howard was fine.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Man I wanted Shane Larkin to be good. He was such a physical freak.

He is now!

I follow the draft about as much as anyone who is not paid to do it and I legit don't remember who Dominique Jones is

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Mid-sized guard dunker who could t shoot is the best that I can remember.

I looked him up and I now remember The South Florida Guy Who Scored A Lot but that information had blessedly left my brain until now

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Rubio could probably get them to that seven seed they have gone all in for

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

This was definitely utahs Window. Next year they are going to lose a lot of their roster because they have to start paying Donovan and really paying Rudy. with the hard cap Rudy outs on your team in the playoffs its going to be very difficult to get me excited about the team again. it was cool to be the number one seed but any amount of regular season success next year will have an enormous amount of stink on it.

who are they going to have to lose? The only notable free agent is Conley and they can go over the cap to bring him back, and his next deal is going to be cheaper than the one he's on now

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 20, 2021

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Has the DPOY ever been traded after winning the award before? I'm not saying they need to do it, but they could, I guess?

They would be bottom five defense if you replaced him with all but like three other centers and I don't think any of them are getting traded. He's the biggest reason they were a 1 seed they're not going to trade him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Get Simmons to the Jazz where they don’t need him to shoot or score.

finally the mobile backup center the jazz have been missing

e: okay but hear me out though

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 21, 2021

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah saying that the guy who was scared to challenge Trae Young at the rim might have a confidence issue does not really seem out of bounds

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
looking at the list of free agents trying to find MLE level wings Utah could go after and man it's grim I'm just muttering things like "well if Otto Porter Jr could just stay healthy..." to myself

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Azathoth posted:

Don't gotta play defense when you score 150 every game

I have discovered this is not true

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

indigi posted:

I’m not an expert but KD doesn’t seem as great on defense as he used to be and I’m wondering if that’s the case or not. when people say “the old KD is back” I wonder if it’s that my memory of him is just rose colored glasses or that people are giving him a pass on defense because of the injury.

(I don’t mean this question as a diss cause the fact that he’s still an offensive monster is loving amazing and I love watching him play :) )

KD has never really gotten enough credit for how good his defense was so when people say he's back they just mean the shot making.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DeimosRising posted:

Like a lot of dudes that’s because he was just bad for the first half decade of his career. He only really became a positive defender late in his thunder days and with the warriors. It’s hard to shake a rep when people only watch a few games a year

I think he got good at it earlier than people give him credit for he just makes everything look so easy that it seemed like he wasn't trying, as opposed to Russ who was/is a bad defender but had a strong rep on the end forever because he's always flying around and looks like he's trying hard.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

MV, what would you think for Ingles for Kuzma and like a future second or something?

They'd miss Ingles passing on the second unit a lot but with the way his defense had been deteriorating and the way Kuzma played on D this year I think I'd do it.

E: what about Bojan for KCP and a pick or two?

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 23, 2021

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I would like this I just assumed it would be harder to pry Bojan away.

It probably is I just don't like him and they don't really take advantage of the non-spot up stuff he does that much assuming they bring back Conley so if they get someone who can still shoot but also plays D and an extra first or two i'd be all over it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/1408300017962598404?s=19

Seems like an obvious move, good scorer but a bad fit with Garland and they're most likely going to draft another guard this year. New York maybe? They badly need shot creation and have 19, 21, and 32 this year they could package together in some combination. Maybe the Cavs still believe in Obi Toppin or something too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Garland is pretty similar to where sexton was year two as a scorer aside from volume. Not as good from 2 point range but slightly better from three on higher volume, and he is an actual point guard rather than an undersized gunner. Sexton is a tough roster fit because he really needs to be paired with either a big point guard or a jumbo initiator like LeBron to really work on a good team, or he should be a sixth man

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 25, 2021

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

7th overall pick is being undersold as a mediocre 1st - one of Kuminga, Barnes, or Moody would be available at that pick.

pretty good chance none of those guys are better than siakam and I really like moody

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Penny is staying in Memphis and this should turn out well :cheerdoge:
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1410047241402957831?s=19

penny no

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Its an incredible NCAA violation Voltron which is a thing I would normally be in favor of but Larry Brown should be banished to antarctica

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Congrats to incoming red shirt freshman Eric Snow.

I laughed so hard when he got the smu job and eric snow was his first assistant hire

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Weren't we all joking about it and then he actually hired him the next day?

I made a "does he know Eric Snow is out if eligibility?" joke or something and then he almost immediately hired him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I genuinely don't know, is Blake worth a MLE at this point? Or is he utterly cooked because of his explosiveness being gone due to injuries?

I don't think i would give him a full MLE but he looked a lot bouncier with the Nets. I think what probably happens is that he signs to close to the minimum to stay with them and go for a ring since he's already getting his big contract from the Pistons

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

That's basically what those guys were averaging (or worse) when they signed their deals though. Brooks is the exception, but he wanted to stay and he was an RFA anyway

Those guys have way more defensive value though

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
LeBron has strayed from god's light and must repent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
mike conley sign and trade for ben simmons who says no