Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Attempt to put Celtics chat here:

I think you count/hope on Kemba getting a bit better (he was still pretty decent, just not the star-level), find a better solution at the 5, and get a couple more guys to round out your bench. I wouldn't trade Jalen for anything other than a superstar and I don't think you get much for smart anyway.

Trying to blow it up or spending assets to get rid of Kemba just so you can still not have any cap room doesn't make a ton of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hand Knit posted:

To bring this over from the playoffs thread:
I'm kind of wondering if the Celtics-Raptors series should've been seen as kind of a red flag for them. The Celtics were supposed to have every advantage in that series — better players including a true star, a tremendous matchup advantage, a coach who was theoretically quite good — and they were one Pascal Siakam dribbling off his foot turnover from being eliminated. We all joke Stevens being overrated, but there's no way that Nurse was so much better than him so as to cover the advantage that Tatum and matchups supposedly offered.

So, like, the fact that the series was so close maybe could've suggested that the Celtics were further away than they appeared to be.

Maybe, but a lot of the Bubble was kinda weird and the Raptors were still a decent team. They swept Embiid and still took 2 off the Heat (who, while not a traditionally good team were ridiculously well prepared for the bubble playoffs). Celtics were pretty comfortably the 2nd best East team considering the Bucks looked like garbage after the layoff.

They under performed this year but I think they have good pieces. Like, yeah, without some luck the ceiling is probably 50-odd wins and the tier below contender but unless you have Lebron your best bet is to stick around as that kinda team and see if you can make something lucky happen.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Knicks gunna knick out and swing for the fences again, I guess. I hope Rose signs for a short but decent contract with the Knicks, just don't be heartless and split him up from Thibs anymore. They sorta need each other.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What's the draftclass look like? Raps have 3 picks, but I'm not opposed to making a trade or 4

Good, v. good at the top. I don't think anyone is moving from the middle to the top 3/4 but there's a bunch of good guys on the Lottery.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Drummond ended up being pretty ok in that series, honestly. On their list of problems there were way worse players.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

Lakers have 7 players under contract going into next season and are already around ~171 http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=165295851760ba6b9cc8416149390112.

That's 171 with holds, which will not be what people re-sign as. That said, they are at 121 with Harrell taking his option and they are almost certainly going to be a tax team so it doesn't matter too much. They don't have a lot of cap to work with.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

If Miami wants Schroder as much as the rumors, they are gonna need to do a sign and trade and the Lakers could maybe swap for Dragic who is probably a better fit for them as Dragic is really good at catch and shoot. But adding another injury prone dude might not be the best idea.

If they do that LA will be hard-capped at the apron and lose the MLE. I think that might be a problem for LA.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

There was a bunch of people here that pretty reasonably defended the Richardson trade. He gave them better wing defense and a better secondary ball handler to the detriment of outside shooting. On paper that makes sense, surrounding Luka with shooting is great but you need someone else to create some offense. The clippers were pretty successful getting the ball out of his hands, especially late in games, and you need another guy to punish teams when they sell out like that. Seth Curry is a mostly off-ball guy.

Turned out Josh Richardson wasn't the answer either but I understand what they are going for.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I mean, just look at Luka's 4th quarter stats in the Clippers series if you don't think "Having no other real option beyond 1 player" isn't a death knell. If you want to know what "Luka + Seth Curry" looks like, it looks like basically the same record and a 1st round exit, that's what happened last year.

They really need to solve the problem that you can get the ball out of Luka's hands early in the shot clock and then the Mavs offense will look like crap no matter what. Until you solve that, role-player shooters won't make all that much of a difference.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Why is Luka so bad at the free throw line?

I feel like that was just a fluke and he was probably pretty exhausted from a shortened off-season and condensed season.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

He did a good job but there were better candidates.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ChickenMedium posted:

Indiana's problem is they just have Nates. For a Nate to flourish, he needs a Warren.

I have it on good authority that a Boozer OR a Carlos will also cause a Nate to flourish.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

If they had a way to get a different guard who can defend and at least shoots it when LeBron passes to him for less money instead I'd be all for it but if teams are gonna pay the MLE for Caruso then that's pretty much what the Lakers have to match.

His Cap hold should be lower than his salary, so he can't squeeze them too bad. But yeah, I expect they'll need to match/slighty beat/give him player options to stay. The Lakers are Real Contenders though so that's just what you gotta do.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

LionYeti posted:

I've been thinking Murray comes back around MLK day or is that way too optimistic?

That's possible but Optimistic. Even when he comes back he'll be pretty rough.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Same for the Timberwolves. I'm on pins and needles, since it'll have a big effect on next season, even if they end up trading the pick. Losing it will hurt pretty bad.

Eh. It'd be nice to move past. They weren't quite as bad as their record this year. I'm more interested in how they shape their roster moving forward.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, I'm more thinking that a top pick would be useful as a trade chip to bring in someone who could fit with the core and not need 3+ years to figure out if they're an NBA starter or not. The last thing they need right now is yet another player not old enough to legally drink.

The Wolves salary situation is definitely a thing for a team that is not yet a playoff team. They'd need to package the pick with someone and I'm not entirely sure that the return would be that great anyway, especially since it means losing next years pick too.

I mean, it's a good draft and if you get #1 you take Cade and if not you still take a good player even if you have to figure out the roster. I'm just saying it's not the end of the world if they just end up losing the pick this year and having a clean slate.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I love Ricky but expiring contracts aren't really that valuable anymore. He won't get back anything of any value by himself.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

https://twitter.com/MasonGinsberg/status/1405182970470805514?s=20

With that said, making the wrong choice in the first place doesn't inspire the most confidence.

Was SVG the wrong choice? I mean I don't mind them going after someone else if they think they need to but I thought SVG did a perfectly fine job.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

A bunch of those picks were late 20s where you probably aren't getting much but that's still really really bad.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

how will the bulls acquire a competent point guard with no cap space or ASSETS??????

They could probably get Rubio for free but that's stretching "competent" quite a bit. If they are sticking with Lauri that might not be an awful look though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Vinestalk posted:

Welcome Nets fans. It's a rough way to go out, but during an injury plagued season you had your talisman player show that his injury with GS is far behind him. Much like the Jazz, there are a lot of what ifs this season. But there is no denying the Nets are probably the favorites to come out of the East next season and KD showed why.

Very well put but unfortunately there are no Nets fans.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

three posted:

Critical to keep the mature roster that got swept in the second round intact.

Are you talking about Denver or...? No one else got swept in the second round.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The "Attemping to diagnose a person playing sports with a mental disease" thing is getting kinda gross

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Those seem like 3 good choices. I'd like to see someone new get a chance in Hammon/Billups but that situation looks great for D'Antoni too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hope this also includes "Swinging arms into defender in legal guarding position"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

indigi posted:

I’m not an expert but KD doesn’t seem as great on defense as he used to be and I’m wondering if that’s the case or not. when people say “the old KD is back” I wonder if it’s that my memory of him is just rose colored glasses or that people are giving him a pass on defense because of the injury.

(I don’t mean this question as a diss cause the fact that he’s still an offensive monster is loving amazing and I love watching him play :) )

Above me answered well, but I'd also say while he isn't as good at perimeter D (which is a lot easier to "spot" but only 1 part of defense), he spent more of this season dropping back or doing weakside-D stuff, which doesn't stand out as much but is generally more important.

So while he's not quite as good, he's adjusted what he's doing on defense to make up for it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

Like a lot of dudes that’s because he was just bad for the first half decade of his career. He only really became a positive defender late in his thunder days and with the warriors. It’s hard to shake a rep when people only watch a few games a year

He was good pretty early on in the Thunder days (as soon as he put on a little bit of weight). I loved the stretch where people were like "Durant, Ibaka and Perkins are all terrible at defense" while the thunder were like top 5 defense. What he got better at was swallowing up guys at the perimeter, but he's always had great hands and he knows how to use his length.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Garland is also a year younger which gives you another year before you have to lock in. I'm not sure either are franchise guys tbh, but it's pretty awkward right now since they don't really fit together. I'm sure Cleveland would field calls for Garland too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Larry what are you doing?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Congrats to incoming red shirt freshman Eric Snow.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

I laughed so hard when he got the smu job and eric snow was his first assistant hire

Weren't we all joking about it and then he actually hired him the next day?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The clippers are real good and I think them or the nets are the "actual" best teams but I don't think the nets are ever going to actually be healthy (they might still win out even if not though).

Soaking of Nets, does Blake get a new contract next year? What does that look like?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Blake's got some leverage that Brooklyn can really use him and he's a known quantity for that team, but something like 1 + 1 player option minimum contract would make sense given the situation.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

a person who hasn't considered what might happen if the bulls are BACK

Play-in teams take notice!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Crud, Anthony Edwards limping out of Team USA practice:
https://streamable.com/dx7wmo

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

He sprained his ankle. Doesn't sound like it's anything too bad he just won't be able to do Team USA stuff.

Yeah, its not a torn ACL or anything but some Team USA reps would have been a good opportunity for him I think.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

I've been out of touch with the NBA hivemind lately due to life and other things---how unmoveable is Tobais Harris after the season he had? I know coming off of last year he was on :lol:island with Love and Blake, but has this season built him back to simply a bad contract?

Curious what Philly could bring back for him if they attached the pick(s) they get in a Simmons trade. Is that a legitimate starter on a bad deal (as with Wiggins+ for DLo), a legitimate starter + nonmax overpay (Hield + Barnes?), or do those undersell his value with a quality pick?

Harris's contract is way more neutral than bad. They could probably pretty easily move him if they really wanted to, but you're not getting a star player back or anything. If you traded Simmons and Harris for like Barnes or Hield the 76ers are going to be a pretty bad team.

Harris fits really well next to Embiid, and now that he's playing a more natural position I'm not sure why you'd want to get away from him. How the cap works in the NBA, it's not like giving Harris that contract stopped them from giving it to someone else. He's an overpay but a normal bird-rights overpay you do in that situation.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Colin Sexton does really seem like a Thibs PG.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

Lonzo for Sexton: who says no?

Probably both sides

Sexton would fit in NO I'd think. Fit between BI, him and Zion would be interesting but I think it would work especially if you had Sexton run the 2nd unit himself a lot more. And if his market rate is higher than you'd like to pay, well you get 1 more year than Lonzo before he walks.

I think Lonzo is better than most people on this board do but I don't see what Cleveland would really do with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Sam Mitchell did a great job developing guys, just doing so at the expense of wins. He's a good example of how that works sometimes, players were put in position where they could learn to do things and it cost Ws. As an assistant I guess he may have done a decent job in Memphis I guess?

He's also a really nice, cool guy and gives very informative interviews.