Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yeah, you more or less need all your contracts to come up instead of just one. And "may" is doing work in that post. They might also be over the cap even if the player walks.

One of the ways you stay operating above the cap is Bird Rights. This is why teams over the cap emphasize a sign and trade over just letting the player walk. If you have Bird Rights, you can sign that player over the cap. And also, Bird Rights are transferrable through trade. So if a team can line up a new player to trade for, and he was with the other team long enough to accrue bird rights, the new team is considered to have those rights and can sign him over the cap, even if he hasn't been with the new team for the requisite three years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Josh Howard and Devin Harris were both legitimately good.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/1408300017962598404?s=19

Seems like an obvious move, good scorer but a bad fit with Garland and they're most likely going to draft another guard this year. New York maybe? They badly need shot creation and have 19, 21, and 32 this year they could package together in some combination. Maybe the Cavs still believe in Obi Toppin or something too.

Why would they get rid of the better one, if they don't think the two are a good fit?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'd still take Sexton's year two (so last year) over Garland's year two (so... This year).

Playing them together is probably a bad idea, because they're both 6'1, but I think both are, at best, sixth men on a good team, and I would rather have the one that scores more and gets to the line from that role.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Good for him. That's exactly what you do to punish companies for hiring some outsider with baggage and arguably less qualifications.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Athanatos posted:

If you dig X's and O's talk, the Pacers best reporter dropped an article where she talks about how Carlisle's playbook can help the Pacers not be rear end:

https://www.indycornrows.com/2021/6/27/22551190/how-rick-carlisles-playbook-fits-the-pacers

It's pretty great just from a basketball read, not just boring Pacers stuff.

Oh, man. That Cauley-Stein hand-back play is a gem. That's the sort of extra addition a good coach can get you.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
As good as Kawhi was, the Raptors had something like, six guys averaging double digit points in the finals. That was an incredibly deep team, and everyone wants to write them off because of the Warriors' injuries.
As though they didn't have that depth going for them. Or as though they didn't have the second best record in the league. Including a better record than the mighty Warriors, come to think of it. They were very predictably elite, and then they won. I don't know what people want, here. You could see that was an absolutely elite team from fuckin' space.

And calling the 2014 Spurs a worse team than this year's Clippers strikes me as insane. After they beat the Mavs, they basically crushed everyone else, just rolling over people effortlessly.

Clips were a fantastic team, and would have made fine champions, but they ain't got poo poo on the 2014 Spurs.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
That's some big shade thrown at Brogdon, who played some real fantastic ball before the break this year.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

indigi posted:

why do centimillionaires have to room together in Las Vegas

Two possibilities.

Stupid dorm room team building bullshit, if this is true of all the NBA athletes.

Otherwise, recruitment, so less "they have to" and more "hey if I convince this dude to hang, and we have fun, maybe he'll come to my team in free agency."

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd just seen it, my bad!

What's the story with this Sengun guy?

He's an incredibly intriguing throwback prospect.

The best thing about him is his ability to score in the low post. Once drafted, his post footwork would be among the best in the NBA immediately. This is a teenager with a full-on torture chamber. He prefers his dominant hand, but his footwork is so good he can usually get a shot off with the preferred hand regardless. Keep in mind, he can still score with the other hand. He just prefers not to. He's ridiculously patient. He's got some nasty up and unders and drop steps and spin moves without picking up his wrong foot. He'll toss a succession of post moves at a guy to dig out his shot.

Making this even better is his second best trait, his passing and general feel for the game. I'll talk about passing first. Sengun is a willing passer, but he's also an audacious and creative passer. He'll throw from really weird angles and just completely blindside the defense. He'll throw no-look and behind the back passes as a big man. He'll throw those wide side-arm whip passes to get angles. He can angle a bounce pass. He'll pass from the post, he'll pass from outside to cutters or an open corner, and he'll pass from the short roll. While he's definitely better if he has a second to make a read, he shows flashes of making a rapid decision touch pass. If he has a drawback with passing, it's that sometimes he can be a little too gutsy or cute, and it might cause a turnover. If he can apply the discipline he shows in the post to his approach to passing, he could take a big jump here, too.

Feel of the game is the other big thing he has going for him. Sengun seems to have a knack for knowing where players are on the court, as well as how the ball is going to travel. He's a very good rebounder, is quick to box out, and frequently shifts just a little bit during a box out because he's guessed the angle before the ball comes off the rim. This predictive ability makes him quite solid on tip ins. On defense, he's got a knack for finding angles and controlling himself--going straight up and not fouling, or sticking with his man when he's beaten and getting the angle and timing right for a block from behind. He's gotten a lot of blocks. I talked about passing up above, and his floor awareness is another thing that helps with it. He seems to know where his teammates are, and what weird angle he'd have to use to hit them, and he has the balls to actually try it if he thinks he can pull it off. All these things make him fun to watch. Like, at this point, as long as he's good enough, I want him in the league just because he's fun.

He's not super explosive, but he can take off if he's given room to. Given an open lane, he can and has dunked on guys with some nasty power finishes with either or both hands. He has blocked perimeter players attempting 3s on closeouts a couple of times. (Although, that he had enough space to get that much of a run at it speaks to one of his negatives, I'll talk about that in a sec)

From a raw statistics standpoint, as a teenager going against grown men in the Turkish Super League, a pretty good basketball league, (better than NCAA, at any rate) Sengun led the league in Points, Offensive Rebounds, and Field Goal Percentage (and effective field goal percentage), while being second place in Total Rebounds, Blocks, True Shooting Percentage and Free Throw Attempts. And third in Free Throws Made. He shoots 81% from Free Throw range, which hopefully indicates he can extend his range in time. At any rate, he put up those stats on only 28 minutes per game, making him way outside the top 10 in minutes per game. For this, he was named the Turkish Super League's MVP.

If you deliberately mis-interpreted his last name (Pronounced Shen Goon) as a Japanese "Shin" and the English word "Goon" (instead of Turkish) his name would mean something like "True Holy Sainted Hero of the Goons". (I think the real meaning of Sengun is closer to something like "happy day." So Heroic Saint of the Happy Day is still pretty good.)

The big drawbacks and question marks he has are fairly big:

His side-to-side movement is fairly limited. His hips don't have the same fluidity of the rest of him. There's serious questions on his defense, especially in a league as explosive and movement heavy as the NBA. He's got some trouble closing out when he has to switch to a perimeter threat. There's a serious question mark on if he could be played right off the court in the NBA.

Personally, I think his positioning reads outweigh this, and he has the potential to be a fairly good NBA defender. Not an actually good defender, mind you, but a guy that wouldn't necessarily be a big net negative. As it stands, I'm still in the corner that "His offense probably already makes up for his defense" and he could have a long, productive NBA career. His current offense with the floor of his defense is still probably a guy that could come off the bench and find you points. I think his floor looks something like if Luis Scola came into the NBA 10 years earlier in his career and was a better passer. He doesn't have the Scola Scoop though.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Kibner posted:

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1414954477069684737?s=20

Also, the Pels are apparently making it known that they are not going to match a significant contract if one is offered to Lonzo. Which, duh.

What would the advantage be for that? Other teams might be more likely to make an offer if they figure he's what they need, but if none do make a sizable offer, it just insults him for no reason. It's essentially telling their player to gently caress off, but in a really passive aggressive way.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

By appearing on the cover, Candace is likely the only part of the game that has its poo poo together. Glad that
she gets some of this spotlight.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Pels could take a flyer on a guy like TJ McConnell who is about 5 years younger than Conley and won't be nearly as expensive.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
He was right.

You know how sometimes people get in the MIP discussion and all that they did was double their minutes, and you're like, "yeah. Of course your stats are better. You're playing twice as often." Well, Grant had his minutes increased and almost doubled his usage. So yeah, of course he looks better than last year on a superficial level. The team is deliberately running the lion's share of their possessions through him, which of course Denver didn't do because it's a bad idea. There's a lot of reasons why the Pistons were bad, but "We believe Jeremi Grant can be the best player on a team" is one of the top three.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Spacebump posted:

Didn't the Pistons have a bunch of injuries?

The Pistons had an endless string of problems:

Dejan Bimble posted:

....a team with a bunch of No hopers, reclamation projects, rookies, andthird point guards getting the shot to play with the first unit, and a plumlee.

is as good a summary as any. It was dire.

We'll see what Grant can do if he gets a better team around him. My guess is "look a lot like pre-Pistons Grant". A team with Grant as its best player has a ceiling of slightly higher than the Pistons. A team with Grant as its third best, or maybe even second best player.... might have potential.

As for how effective he was on offense... well, he was the league's 23rd leading scorer and every single person higher than him had a better effective field goal percentage as well as a better actual field goal percentage. Also every single person who scored more points per game than him also had more assists per game than him (Embiid was tied) . So he can be the lead scorer on a team, but the team's probably not gonna be very good if he is.

He's got good age, good potential to be very solid on both ends. Is clearly above average. And is not a first option.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

MourningView posted:

There is a big gap between "Grant is overtaxed as a number one option on a team full of rookies" and "Grant is only worth $7.5 million a year" which is what Hollinger actually said. He clearly was not right

Yeah, all right. That's fair. Calling Hollinger "right" is needless hyperbole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dexo posted:

not gonna be the same without all the Almost trades or signings from Danny Ainge :smith:

If it helps, man, he thought about not retiring, so you can say that we almost had Danny Ainge almost trades and signings.