Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

I remembering being the one person who hated the Schroeder trade and it took most of the year but ultimately I was right, great job by me.

I liked it but always with the caveat that I thought the Lakers would really miss Danny Green's defense. Which ended up being true in the sense that since Schroder barely scored in the playoffs they might as well have had a good defender in Danny out there instead, even ignoring that odd year Danny Green makes shots.

mdemone posted:

I mean. I dunno how much longer our king can continue to do stuff at this level.

I'm finally ready to talk about last night, because I was screaming at the TV through the entire first quarter for somebody to maul Booker. Am I wrong, or do you have to disrupt that kind of thing, you can't let him just loving kill you from everywhere on the court?

I'd have put LeBron on him, and also doubled him hard after crossing halfcourt. You cannot loving allow that to happen.

Edit: just tell Drummond to tackle him, or something. He's not doing anything else, Jesus Christ.

Lakers had a pretty good plan for Booker, the problem was that it relied on AD, and, well . . . .

A lot of the Lakers success over the past two years is that Anthony Davis can trap all star caliber players at the perimeter and force them to pass off. Leads to quite a few dunks but you aren't going to beat the Lakers very easily if Ayton is getting 20 in the paint instead of Booker getting 35+ from all over the floor.

The Lakers did make some pretty good adjustments in the second half on Booker but too little too late.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Lakers have 7 players under contract going into next season and are already around ~171 http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=165295851760ba6b9cc8416149390112.

The big questions for the team are:
1. Can they make a deal with Schroder that both sides are happy with. Do they even want to do this?
2. Will Harrell opt out?
3. Can they afford to re-sign Caruso?

Assumptions: THT is probably going to be back since he's gonna be cheap to re-sign.

Let's talk about 2. Everyone the whole season has operated under the assumption that Montrez is one and done. This is still likely the case. The arguments against him opting out are that his counting stats took a hit last season, and that there isn't much money out there, and he's very likely to get from somewhere else what he gets from LA, and also the market for primarily offensive bigs who don't shoot is not great. But, if he could find another team where his role was more guaranteed, he could put up big numbers and set himself up for an even bigger contract the next season when the money is better.

Obviously 3 is a fairly easy yes if they led Schroder go, even if Windhorst is right and teams are going to offer Alex the full MLE, Lakers can re-sign him with bird rights and there isn't much worry of them approaching the tax. Even if Montrez opts in, they aren't a tax team and could offer the full MLE themselves (albeit with a pretty realistic risk of hardcapping themselves)

Things change a bit though if they re-sign Schroder. Let's say that Dennis decides to pick up that $84 million and it's still on the table, because even as badly as Schroder played in the playoffs, it's an important salary number to have slotted for trade purposes. But, this makes the Lakers situation immediately dire if Montrez decides to opt in as it puts the Lakers $7 million over the apron with about half a roster to fill; I don't necessarily think they are worried about money but it does limit their options quite a bit, and for a player who isn't in Frank's rotation they probably try to move him. Harrell opting in makes Caruso much less of a no-brainer if teams really do offer him the MLE like Windhorst thinks, because it means they aren't getting under the tax next year either, and makes them potentially face some tough decisions then, too. Obviously these things look better if they can talk Schroder down. It kind of depends on what his market is going to be. Teams with the potential to pay him more than the full MLE are the Rockets, Magic, Raptors, Spurs, Hornets, Thunder, Knicks and Grizzlies. I don't think he'd be any of those teams first targets, but with as weak as the free agent market might be this summer, he might be some of those teams second.

So I guess if you predict them to do things "the Lakers way" I'd probably predict they first look for sign and trade opportunities, barring that, I think they offer him something pretty close to what they did before and try and play the trade game down the line. That's probably the right way to do it, given what the free agent market is this year. I'd be lying if I didn't think the team might be better with Harrell, Caruso and another MLE player than Schroder, but it's a big risk to go that route.

I think the team is going to try and bring McLemore back if they can afford him, and maybe Wes too, but, beyond that, I think most everyone else who isn't signed and hasn't been mentioned is probably gone next year. I think they will make a pitch to DeRozan and Lowry about ring chasing but I don't expect that to be effective, especially since the Nets are gonna have open spots this offseason.

Rick fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 4, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
In a world where even here people have trouble with the cap I figure the hold number at least stops people from having crazy ideas like signing Bradley Beal.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I just feel bad for Schröder, I always liked him as a player before and that Magic quote is gonna murder any chance he had at acceptance by the fan base if he did want to come back.

Which it sounds like he wants to do?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10004772-dennis-schroder-says-staying-with-lakers-next-season-not-even-a-question

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If Miami wants Schroder as much as the rumors, they are gonna need to do a sign and trade and the Lakers could maybe swap for Dragic who is probably a better fit for them as Dragic is really good at catch and shoot. But adding another injury prone dude might not be the best idea.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That is pretty much what they did this year already.

Kind of depends on what you think the MLE market is going to be this year. Dragic might be better than what is out there after the Nets take their pick.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The teams don't have leverage, but there are reasons that they might want to do a sign and trade, and if a player wants to go somewere they can only do a sign and trade to then teams regain some leverage over the team that's trying to get the dude, at least.

I might be missing the point you're trying to make, though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Feels like that might be worth dipping into the cookie jar if you are OKC.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm more disappointed in that then I thought. I thought it was Monty or McMillian or nobody. But I guess Thibs did a good job too.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Lauri looked good when he was healthy the other 60% of the season where he was out or playing hurt happened though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Dwight never got his full range of motion back. Paul George took about a year before he was playing like he used to. The good news is offensively he is better than ever.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think the Lakers are going to have to pay Caruso like 12 million to keep him and people will laugh at it but what can be done, they need him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

it's me i'm people

If they had a way to get a different guard who can defend and at least shoots it when LeBron passes to him for less money instead I'd be all for it but if teams are gonna pay the MLE for Caruso then that's pretty much what the Lakers have to match.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

A bummer for sure although with as frequently as Barton is injured you can kind of tell why they decided to be careful this time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If the 'wolves can win the MIles Turner sweepstakes they should, that would fix a lot of problems.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

https://twitter.com/MasonGinsberg/status/1405182970470805514?s=20

With that said, making the wrong choice in the first place doesn't inspire the most confidence.

Griffin is such a weird mix of good and bad over his career, it's really hard to tell if he's good or not.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

According to NBA insider Marc J. Spears, the 31-year-old point guard will most likely be moved by the Thunder. He thinks that the Los Angeles Lakers should try to get him. Spears also revealed that Kyle Kuzma appears to be leaving the 2020 NBA champions.

ESPNinsider easily beaten to the punch by SARicksider, Rick

It would really put the Lakers on a roller coaster of health and make them even more dependent on Anthony Davis's defense and health but Kuzma has started to offer so little offensively that it's hard to have him on the floor so I would understand this move. I would prefer Lowry but the price on that of course is way higher.

What a weird world where Kuzma was a loving terrible defender but ultimately was usually on the right end of the chucker value index to a guy who's a pretty solid defender but provides no offensive value.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Get Simmons to the Jazz where they don’t need him to shoot or score.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

finally the mobile backup center the jazz have been missing

e: okay but hear me out though

Bojan was made to be a Sixers player.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

A youtube fella did a breakdown of Raptor FA targets

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q2SI-uMyK1k&t=973s

I liked some of the ideas.

Vid is really well done. Even if you don’t care about the Raptors at all might be worth watching since they explain some basic cap stuff.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

looking at the list of free agents trying to find MLE level wings Utah could go after and man it's grim I'm just muttering things like "well if Otto Porter Jr could just stay healthy..." to myself

It's a really bad free agent class.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I want Hammon to get a job but Portland and D'Antoni is such a good fit.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
He's definitely a step or two slower. It's easy to miss it on offense because he really didn't need much speed there with his length but it really does show up on defense. Still is probably the Nets best defender.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
MV, what would you think for Ingles for Kuzma and like a future second or something?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

They'd miss Ingles passing on the second unit a lot but with the way his defense had been deteriorating and the way Kuzma played on D this year I think I'd do it.

E: what about Bojan for KCP and a pick or two?

I would like this I just assumed it would be harder to pry Bojan away.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Feels like Schröder to Dinwiddie is pretty lateral. Spencer is a better scorer but an even worse catch and shooter and worse defender. I guess Spencer’s playoff performances have been better. Also coming off a major injury. Not worth a hard cap on either side.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It’s not like there are shooters just falling off trees, especially ones that can play defense well enough for Vogel to play them. If the Lakers aren’t going to switch coaches right now they are probably just better off hoping their shooters that meet bjs standards don’t decide to all shoot 10% below their average on open threes in the playoffs. Wasting the MLE on loving Doug Bucket or trading Kuzma and a pick for a guy that a much more lax Luke Walton barely wants to play is just an exercise in dumping resources in the garbage.

And considering how much it was shown really rides on AD’s health, if playing the 4 all year helps him cross the regular season finish line in a good space than they should stick to it.

I know this is not you saying this.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The only way the Golden State offer to Toronto makes sense to me is if they're rebuilding instead of reloading and this is just year one of like a four year process. I don't think they need to go that route though, it's so much easier to get back into the mix in the East. Draft well, keep Lowry and they're right there. That poo poo gets expensive though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1410248104532611074

No word if he's there to replace Kidd or just is being hired as a general assistant.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The free agent market is so bad that I won't be shocked if Blake gets an MLE offer.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Mom's spaghetti

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
This is such a potentially depressing offseason for so many teams. Every roster I look at it seems someone good is going to need to either get paid or is gonna leave and the replacement options all suck and so few teams have actual cap space.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Lue on the outside getting stepped over is sad/hilarious.

morestuff posted:

The FA class sucks but it feels like the teams with actual cap space are going to get guys on really good deals.

Yeah, there are some bargains for sure out there to be had due to the lack of a bidding war.

There is a reality where the Knicks instead of giving Chris Paul or DeRozan all their money just pick up several guys for just slightly more than the MLE and end up extremely deep but that would mean the world has really changed.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
A multi-team trade where the only clear winners are the Kings would be an interesting thing to happen in the NBA.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Free Kevin Love.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dexo posted:

Looks silly, but he worked with Portis on his shot

So maybe that poo poo works.

Those guys all shot great in certain parts of the season that unfortunately did not include the playoffs.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Pelicans should try and trade for Beal.

But if they can’t make it happen, then they should see if they can get Russ for about half the price.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Marc Stein is saying LeBron and AD plan to play the 4 and 5 respectively more this year, so the Lakers are going to go after a playmaker and for some reason they think Lonzo Ball is a playmaker so they are going after him.

The Lonzo stuff seems pretty ludicrous but Stein usually is pretty good at Lakers free agency news when he does report on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I’m the second half of the season the Lakers actually really struggled to find stationary shooters and swapping Lonzo for Schroder or KCP makes the Lakers even more predictable.