Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hello all you Donal Logue appreciators out there! I know I haven’t posted a new one of these in… three trimesters, but I was busy, okay? Not important. Today, we’re covering the classic-yet-tragically-underseen FX one-season-wonder Terriers, which… I never actually finished watching! Maybe it all goes to poo poo in the last three episodes, who knows!? But I remember really liking what I did see. Unfortunately, this was one of those unfortunate cancellations, so don’t expect a lot of closure from the finale, but the show’s still definitely worth a watch. Sorry if this OP is a little light on content, but I don’t actually remember much about this show having watched it many years ago now, so I’m eager to get back to it!

Terriers is available on Hulu. We're technically starting in two days on the 1st, but trying to police when people watch episodes has never gone well for this project so I'm just gonna let you do whatever.

Previous Shows:

Hannibal
Community
Person of Interest
American Crime Story

Arist fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

what is it about?

Donal Logue!

...Okay, I meant to include it but I legitimately kind of forgot what it was actually about. *checks Wikipedia* It's about two unlicensed private detectives in San Diego.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I’ve been super busy with IRL bullshit, so I never got around to finishing the first episode for this until today. It’s really good! It’s never really a mystery, never has all that many twists or turns, but the way it stays unpredictable through all that is by being willing to go just a step further than you’d think, every single time. Our heroes tamper with crime scenes, they abuse police resources, they hide key suspects from both the police and their mysterious-slash-vaguely-nefarious employer, they plant evidence. It adds color, if nothing else. Where a more conventional kind of show might wave this stuff away as “what needs to be done,” which is its own whole can of worms, the show doesn’t really condone or condemn these methods. Instead, it manages to just feel like how these idiots choose to operate. They’re underdogs, forced (and also allowed) to “get creative” due to the miniscule scale of their ramshackle operation. It’s not good that they’re loving around like this, really, but it’s fun enough to forgive, and lets them help in ways others can’t.

It’s also just a really tight pilot that manages to introduce you to every corner of its initial world even as it makes it feel like the potential for future stories is abundant. Small details like the free laundry favor or the gun come back in really funny, compelling ways. It’s a really solid first episode, all around.

Excited to keep going, there’s a moment coming up in the next few episodes that is just seared into my mind for how good it is. It’s one of the only things I remember about this show, honestly.