Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
The Kraken seem to be aiming to be the Tampa Bay Rays of the NHL.. it's probably not a perfect comparison because obviously the salary cap makes the distribution of team salaries alot tighter than in the MLB, but Seattle has made investments in analytics which are comparable to the most dedicated teams in the league currently if not surpassing them.. the analytics department was the first thing that Francis set up after taking the position as their GM, and he seems to have been influenced along these lines from his time in Carolina. Much like the Rays, the Kraken will be a team (atleast for the near future) built primarily of players who other franchises have given up on.

I think that really adds an extra layer of uncertainty here, because I'm not sure what approach they will use to their roster construction. I do think they will hold off of picking veteran players outside of "team control" for the most part, unless they have a trade worked up to flip that player to another team right after the draft in return for futures compensation. I do think they will steer clear of the temptation of trying to build a team to win right away like Vegas, even though it's not really clear to me that Vegas was trying to win immediately with their draft, it just worked out for them in a kind of miracle combination of break out seasons for previously unheralded players. Vegas was widely predicted by traditional sources and the analytics community alike to finish at the bottom of the conference table, and I think that starting outside of the playoffs is unfortunately the realistic expectation for the Kraken.

This management team will have them at the top of the conference in the first 5 years though, I am really excited to see them go to work for real in July. Fans in Seattle should be very excited for what is coming their way.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU