Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Azza Bamboo posted:

Why is this Llama news? We kill animals en masse and it's nbd.

It's literally just because the owner was wealthy & the rich don't think the rules should apply to them.

Spangly A is right, the cull is of questionable efficacy, but if that's the rule then it sure as poo poo applies to your loving alpaca as much as it would a badger set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

HopperUK posted:

Bit late to this maybe but I've heard a couple of people on podcasts use 'person experiencing homelessness' which is clunky but at least does put the person first. Like saying 'enslaved person' instead of 'slave'.

I like this one a lot, and use it for the same reason I use 'person with a conviction' rather than 'ex-offender', 'ex-prisoner', etc.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Rich white lady owned it. That's it, that's all you need to know.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can we do person-centric language for non-marginalized groups too? Person with Anglicanism, persons of Anglo-Saxony, lords of land, Thomas of captaincy, etc.

Mostly because it would annoy them.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm confused because last week we seemed to be talking about how the alpaca tested negative twice in NZ and would have died by now if it had been positive for TB; how the UK test is notoriously innacurate against alpacas and how it was basically DEFRA not wanting to give anyone a legal grounding to question the badger cull. But apparently it's now straightforward rich lady bad.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm confused because last week we seemed to be talking about how the alpaca tested negative twice in NZ and would have died by now if it had been positive for TB; how the UK test is notoriously innacurate against alpacas and how it was basically DEFRA not wanting to give anyone a legal grounding to question the badger cull. But apparently it's now straightforward rich lady bad.

I definitely remember that version of the story being said on Podcasting is Praxis, but don't know the truth.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I don't pretend to be an expert at all - I'm just going by what I've seen in the news which is that it tested twice for TB, and then had two cases questioning the evidence reviewed and dismissed by the courts. According to DEFRA the test (Enferplex) has an accuracy rate of over 99% with a 0.34% chance of showing a false positive.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I have a little experience with defra and pals and let's just say I am not optimistic about the future of the british environment.

Some lovely folk though

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I didn't follow AlpacaGate much, but I always assumed it was just a rich white person demanding that the rules didn't apply to them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It could well be both "DEFRA says any animal that doesn't pass the test gets killed, and the test is the cheapest one" and "rich white person doesn't like that, but only for their animal."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm no expert on it either, I just remember that other stuff as well.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

It's actually a a cover story fabricated by the Guardian because Kier really, really, really wanted to murder an animal with his bare hands.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
We kill like 80,000 livestock animals per day in the UK, so don't really give much of a gently caress about that llama.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Is it only 80,000? Does that include chickens. We must kill a gently caress load of chickens every year, there's chicken in basically everything.

Whoah, just checked and it's nearly 900 MILLION a year. Sucks to be a chicken lol.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Something like 2.6 million cattle, 10 million pigs, and 14.5 million sheep and lambs per year makes for 75,000 a day, you could probably make that 80 with goats and deer and the odd horse and llama.

The 80 million fish and 950 million birds are on top of that.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Azza Bamboo posted:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's the version of the story rich lady is giving yes. DEFRA insist they have multiple positive results from the Enferplex test, which was the test specifically requested by the British Alpaca Society in response to the original case and claims against whatever generic entry test first caught it. So this is where where "rich lady is lying" comes from. Before Kier took over the story with his weird Judge Dredd fantasies, she had just threatened to shoot any DEFRA official with a shotgun in a national newspaper, and is now crying that the armed officers DEFRA came with for protection as a result of this threat amounts to a "hit squad". Imo she's both unreliable as poo poo and working through a rehearsed narrative for whatever reason, the crowdfunding grift or anti-regulation campaigning being the immediate and obvious candidates.

Defra think she's wrong. The Chief Veterinary Officer thinks she's wrong. She's spent 6 figures in legal fees, made false statements to the media she doesn't like repeating in court, and clearly has an organised PR push across social and traditional media that cannot have been cheap. I don't see why anyone should take her claims at face value, and the potential legal and animal welfare consequences of allowing rich people to stomp over quarantine regulations for a repeatedly confirmed case of a deadly zoonotic disease are not something anyone can possibly expect DEFRA to shrug off in 2021.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Too handsome to die, too infectious to live. More attractive than all of us. I don't think we'll understand how important a day this was for British politics until we look at it in hindsight.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm no expert on it either, I just remember that other stuff as well.

Reading my post again that sounds like a bit of an attack on you - I didn’t mean to imply that you were claiming to be an expert (just that I wasn’t!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

she had just threatened to shoot any DEFRA official with a shotgun in a national newspaper, and is now crying that the armed officers DEFRA came with for protection as a result of this threat amounts to a "hit squad".
Was it Leadsom or Gove in charge at the time? :v:

Either way, summer is over and new thread is up.