Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Already had an old gammon who looked like latter day Shaun Ryder threaten to kick my dogs head in for barking at him, so I feel like my few hours in NI is delivering in spades

My first day in NI a few years back, I met my sister at a pub quite early in the day and one of the old fellas definitely muttered oval office at me when I ordered a diet coke at the bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

e: My partner's dad is an engineer and has told me at length about how his skills were in such demand when he entered the job market he was able to go back and forth between prospective employers and essentially make them bid on him, so he started off on an absurdly good salary. He's significantly more wealthy than my own parents and still pulls a lot of completely out of touch bullshit and I wonder how connected these things are.

Reminds me of back in the day {{dooddly doo dooddly doo}}
In my 20s I was a "Works Officer 1" grade in the NHS (London). I went to a national Works Officer conference about something or other 400 guys and 3 women kind of thing.
Many of the guys there from the northern territories were WO1 grade and were former miners with a considerable amount of experience down 't pit or navy 'engineers' and were amazed that a mere slip of a thing, and a girl at that, was a WO1. (There's a lot of similarity between the tech skills required for mines, ships and hospitals - they have to be able to function 'self-contained' if necessary).
They said that every WO job advertised oop north had hundreds of applicants.
Meanwhile in London, I had demanded WO1 to accept the job they were offering me - there was no competition!
I do have a fun anecdote about my boss getting HR to agree to it, but that would doxx me too much.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...ndroidApp_Other

Extremely good Gary younge long read about why all statues are fuckin stupid and should be torn down, even the ones which aren't of cunts.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Twitter is abuzz today with this perfect London class divide microcosm. People who don't own the handful of multimillion pound penthouses (and merely rent or own 'affordable' units costing a mere £700k) in these blocks have to look out of their windows and watch the super rich splash about on a giant platform made of hubris. I hear it's unsinkable.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1399678383727034369?s=19

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

ThomasPaine posted:

I sometimes laugh when I remember discussing jobs with my parents because for so long they assumed the world was still like it was when they were my age in the late 70s/80s, where you could more or less turn up to a business with no qualifications and ask for a job and if they liked the look of you a good portion of the time they'd give you a shot. I still cringe remembering when they insisted I march around Newcastle as a 17 year old in the late 2000s with a stack of CVs handing them in to a bunch of very bemused people in their 20s/30s who clearly knew they were going straight in the bin, because obviously. I'm just glad they've seen the error of their ways and mellowed out a bit on the 'lazy millenials!!! :bahgawd:' poo poo now they're a bit older, but I guess having a kid with a PhD who can't find a job would probably do that. I for one love hearing about how I'd apparently have been able to walk into pretty much any uni and get a decent-paying position of some kind back in their day, it really does make me feel much better.

e: My partner's dad is an engineer and has told me at length about how his skills were in such demand when he entered the job market he was able to go back and forth between prospective employers and essentially make them bid on him, so he started off on an absurdly good salary. He's significantly more wealthy than my own parents and still pulls a lot of completely out of touch bullshit and I wonder how connected these things are.

Lotta boomers about who have found out what the modern job market is like in a swift and brutal fashion after losing theirs during the pandemic.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

stev posted:

Twitter is abuzz today with this perfect London class divide microcosm. People who don't own the handful of multimillion pound penthouses (and merely rent or own 'affordable' units costing a mere £700k) in these blocks have to look out of their windows and watch the super rich splash about on a giant platform made of hubris. I hear it's unsinkable.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

stev posted:

Why am I attaching this bag full of dogshit to a drone? No reason...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My kingdom for a very precise meteor strike, or possibly a big hailstone.

Also a wonderful counterpoint to the thing I was just reading

(about as close as I've ever seen a government report come to calling everyone involved a loving clownshow bunch of assholes)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

Why am I attaching this bag full of dogshit to a drone? No reason...
Harsh words from Fr Daniel Humphreys last weekend.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, same. Normal life ground to a halt in March 2020 and it's just been the same repeating day ever since then. Getting up, doing my day's work from home, going on my government-approved walk around the neighbourhood, then dispiritedly browsing the forums until it's time to reset to the morning again.
Combination of depression and disability has meant this has been my life for the last few years, apart from a house move last december. You get to a point where if you don't have a dog or partner annoying you for food / company, it really does start to feel like the only reason you get up is to prevent bedsores.

It's odd because part of me wanted to rub it in and say "it's not great is it" to all of the relatives who were calling me lazy and are now posting statuses about being lonely and climbing up the walls with boredom, but this isn't funny for anyone really.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

His Divine Shadow posted:

My fiance took a video of it when it was done, I think it's best to just watch it:
https://streamable.com/t58r5n

that's just blessed, ty

:radcat:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

My kingdom for a very precise meteor strike, or possibly a big hailstone.

Also a wonderful counterpoint to the thing I was just reading

(about as close as I've ever seen a government report come to calling everyone involved a loving clownshow bunch of assholes)

I wonder how big a catapult you'd need to get a spark plug cap into the bottom of that from ground level.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wonder how big a catapult you'd need to get a spark plug cap into the bottom of that from ground level.

Just gonna leave this here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8pivOifGFQ

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I have mentioned this before somewhere on these forums, maybe even in an old iteration of this thread, but I once interviewed an old chap who spent his career in the Coventry motor industry, starting off as a machine operator making bearings and progressing up via being a trained machinist to foreman then shop manager. When he was in his late teens the economic boom of the late 50s, the growth in the motor industry and the effect of mergers and consolidation within the Rootes Group meant that Coventry was really short of trained manufacturing labour. So he - who left school at 14 and had a string of polytechnic night classes to his name - went from business to business essentially interviewing them to see what they'd offer him, then went round a second time to tell them that such-and-such a firm was offering him [x] so could they increase their offer to [y] and so on.

It was like listening to some tale of a land of make-believe where the normal power structures were completely reversed. Especially having done the thankless, futile late-2000s thing of trudging around businesses asking about vacancies and handing out paper CVs (at the insistence of my boomer-aged parents who last looked for jobs in 1973, it should be said) while also doing the (equally thankless and only marginally less futile) online/corporate recruitment portal applications stuff, hearing tales of how it was (for a select few in certain industries, granted) in the days of full employment, social mobility and meaningful economic growth genuinely had an effect on my political views.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

stev posted:

Welcome to London, 47.

And yup, another for the "told to march around handing out paper CVs from a parent who hasn't had to job hunt for 30-odd years". Except the kicker is it was my dad telling me to do that, a man who had to be forced by my mother to apply for a job literally cleaning toilets in the early 80s, and stayed in the same employer until the present day where he's now a manager for almost all of southwest Scotland.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 1, 2021

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Apparently, Virgin health care have been given a seat on a local NHS decision making body. What with selling off surgeries to the US, the Tories are just being blatant now.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
World's first space ambulance.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Labour getting (rightly) dicked on for their token LGBTQ post:

https://twitter.com/PhilosophyTube/status/1399689367908663303?s=19

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

One of the big hurdles today in applying for jobs is so many industries rely on an online application giving no scope for a 'non-linear' career or 'double tracking' (working full-time in a job and doing part-time study and/or running a little sideline business which is THE thing that qualifies you for the job you're applying for!) and are limited by the extremely narrow thinking of whoever designed the online things.

With a paper cv you can group things together eg X years in Industry A, Y years in Industry B, and the world where you can sit in the same office with the same colleagues for 10 years and have 8 different employers in the modern world once reorganisations, starting off as a temp or contractor etc are taken into account. (Narrator: that was 10 years of her working life, dear reader.)

Also, as has been discussed in previous iterations of this thread several times, if you have a PhD or MScs/MAs and do not answer the 'what is your highest qualification' question truthfully, it's grounds for dismissal*. I might not want to admit to having anything higher than O-levels (GCSE equivalents for the youngsters in the thread) on an application as I need to pay the rent/mortgage/buy boring stuff like food or bog roll.

*People with PhDs except in very specific roles are really not welcome in job application land because most people haven't a clue what they are, are scared of having a clever clogs around, or think you are bound to be offered some super-high-paying job on a spaceship or something anytime now so don't bother giving you a job in the meantime.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Lotta boomers about who have found out what the modern job market is like in a swift and brutal fashion after losing theirs during the pandemic.

Most of them are retired these days.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
My brother once applied for a job at southern water treatment plant and they told him that his degree in biochemistry made him 'overqualified' so they couldn't hire him.

Its a bizarre and arbitary system where you will be actively punished for having a degree if you're actually looking to get your foot on the ladder in a relevant field.

For my own experience I didn't go to university and failed to get even an entry level shelf stacking job as every single application requested 5 years experience stacking shelves. Love to need prior experience as a Trainee retail assistant lol. These days the only true 'entry level' jobs are gig economy nightmares that take pretty much anyone.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
my experience of the public sector has been that there is a great deal of informal discrimination against people who have qualfications and ability in identifying and solving problems in favour of people who are sycophantic and have poo poo for brains

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

Already had an old gammon who looked like latter day Shaun Ryder threaten to kick my dogs head in for barking at him, so I feel like my few hours in NI is delivering in spades

IT LOOKED AT ME FUNNY :mad:

THINKS IT'S FUCKIN SMARTERN ME :manning:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
worst i saw was someone who greased their way into favourability with senior management in a department by spending years telling them every little detail about everyone's work and personal lives and had a person specification for a band 7 job written especially for them, including the requirement to have just 1 GCSE pass lol

i'm very bitter about my place of work and have a lot of similar stories if anyone is interested

crispix fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 1, 2021

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The only qualification for my industry (games) is being utterly obsessed with them... But not so much that you would post about them online in any way that could be ever linked to your real identity.

I assume its like that Giles Brandreth quote where he said no matter the political compass of someone, all politicians are united in their loathing of the electorate. Most game devs feel the same!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
don't worry i'm very discreet-like in the ways i goes about things. i've earned the name deepthroat, mind you that's due to another pastime of mine LOL*!!!! :newlol:

*(loud oral laughter)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah the ol job searching is pretty rough, of my family only my nan has done the "well you just gotta hand out your cvs" advice at the times when I've been looking. My mum and uncles were always a bit more understanding about how hard it could be.

I basically just lucked into the career I'm in, I thought my first job in the industry was probably a scam but figured I'd apply anyway just in case and it turned out to be real, just kind of snowballed from there. There were a few years where it felt like I couldn't get a job doing what I was already doing at a better place (not contracting and just paid alright) and couldn't get a job at the next level because I either didn't seem to have the experience or couldn't sell that on my application perhaps. Now I've got what I'd probably have said was my dream job and it's..... alright I guess. There's a lot of hassle and stress.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 1, 2021

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Another one here who spent summer holidays being told to hand out CVs or phone up HR departments because it 'showed initiative'. The same relatives also advised me not to ever declare my student loans on any mortgage application, because that amount of debt might put the banks off. Apparently providing bank statements and credit history was not a requirement to get a mortgage back when houses were 75p.

The same relative was also very surprised when I said the reliance on volunteering and internships to get into my career was unfair. Apparently everyone has the same opportunity to just do months of unpaid work. Oh, but you shouldn't claim benefits if you do, because if you choose to do unpaid work, the taxpayer shouldn't be expected to pay for it. You need to support yourself or have family to support you. But everyone has the same opportunity.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Any chance we could stop the racist stereotyping of Northern Irish people as angry, violent simpletons?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I got my first "proper" job spamming cvs like I was advised. It was at a market research company cold calling people at the NHS in the early 2000s asking how they felt about govt. cuts.

I had no ounce of political knowledge and was constantly getting dressed down by overworked, underpaid, yet very smart people who got more and more pissed off as I went down the list of questions like "out of 5 how did you rate the changes, where 1 is less approval"

After 2 weeks I just hid in my bedroom one day and stopped answering my phone.

Still get anxious thinking about that loving job.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I have been speaking with my very professional high end expensive think tank and I have come up with the perfect policy for Starmer.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Any chance we could stop the racist stereotyping of Northern Irish people as angry, violent simpletons?
That's not fair to the ones that want to be part of Britain though.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Welcome to London, 47.

Ah you beat me to it. I'm in Mumbai right now about to blow somebody off a roof with a large fan.

After that I might play video games :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Welcome to London, 47.

And yup, another for the "told to march around handing out paper CVs from a parent who hasn't had to job hunt for 30-odd years". Except the kicker is it was my dad telling me to do that, a man who had to be forced by my mother to apply for a job literally cleaning toilets in the early 80s, and stayed in the same employer until the present day where he's now a manager for almost all of southwest Scotland.

That's a lot of toilets to be looking after.

I was right in the last generation where spamming out CVs in person was an even vaguely plausible route to a job (left school in 91, just in time for the massive global recession which nobody seems to remember) but the funny thing is my Dad - who *had* got every job he'd ever had by just walking up to the foreman and telling outrageous lies about his abilities and experience - never once pressured me to do so.

I did, at my Mum's insistence, go hand out CVs to every shop on Tottenham Court Road (electronics retail being the only job I had actual experience in, or at least experience I was willing to put in writing) once, until she realised it had - between tube fare and photocopying charges - cost her almost a quarter of the fortnight's Family Allowance she was still getting for me, so it was back to ringing the least-obviously-an-MLM-or-people-smuggling-ring jobs in Loot every couple of days. This did at least get me quite a bit of work of varying degrees of interest and legality from kitchen portering to Christmas present wrapping to assisting a semi-famous pornographer, and meant that I had a 5-page CV by the time I actually got a regular job 2 years later.

I think in a lot of ways that I've been spectacularly lucky since then - I've only actually applied for jobs 6 or 7 times in the intervening decades and been offered every one (apart from my current one, which I failed the interview for, despite having been the only applicant, to a job I'd written the job description for, and which I'd actually been doing for over a year. Of course all I then needed to do was threaten to *stop* doing the job and all of a sudden I was suitable again)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume "pornographer's assistant" went right at the top of the CV.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

Sorry but according to Arlene Foster NI is irrevocably part of the UK and so its people are every bit as angry, violent and stupid as the people on the mainland.

(Also the only person doing that is actually from NI and I think we're all in on the joke so maybe wind your neck in?)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bobstar posted:

Ah you beat me to it. I'm in Mumbai right now about to blow somebody off a roof with a large fan.

After that I might play video games :v:

If you do that, the method recorded for their death will be Wind*.

*= Also that one particular target in that level was one with whom I was so happy to kill.

Like they weren't objectively the most evil target you had (that would be Janus or the two targets in the riots in Marekesh) or had the most satisfying setup (that would be Miami or the house in New Zealand) but that Bollywood director was so awful. Between him bragging about bribing a football team, having a tower built so he could lord it up over the poor, him creeping on all the female actors and the fact that he got a famous artist to paint his portrait and would pay him with experience and not money, I couldn't wait to murder him.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I assume "pornographer's assistant" went right at the top of the CV.

It went to the top of *some* CVs, albeit with a little modification. So when I applied for a job with Canon customer service it became "Responsible for setup, care, maintenance, and upkeep of multiple lighting, camera and lens setups", and when I applied to Future Publishing it became "Cataloguing and indexing images from over 200 photo shoots", none of which mentioned that the cameras and the shoots were for magazines like Shaven Ravers, Fat and 50, and (when I was lucky) Fiesta.

(Incidentally if I do have *one* bit of advice for jobseekers it's that - tweak your CV to the job you're applying for, even if it's just a matter of making sure the keywords in the ad appear in the CV)

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/politicsforali/status/1399804043833262088?s=21

Hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think in a lot of ways that I've been spectacularly lucky since then - I've only actually applied for jobs 6 or 7 times in the intervening decades and been offered every one (apart from my current one, which I failed the interview for, despite having been the only applicant, to a job I'd written the job description for, and which I'd actually been doing for over a year. Of course all I then needed to do was threaten to *stop* doing the job and all of a sudden I was suitable again)

What on earth went wrong for them not to offer you the job?!
Did you neglect to fill in the blank side of A4 designed to be filled with 'why this company should employ you'?
(I have known people being interviewed for their own jobs in reorgs who didn't bother filling in half the white space because they thought it was where you BS and the interviewers who had been working with you for several years would know it!)