Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Guavanaut posted:

It's especially interesting that this seemed to happen at the exact same time as Christian conservatism went full pro-fetus and mass incarceration in the early 80s.

christians going pro-fetus is very interesting to me. when roe v wade was announced a number of conservative groups like the southern baptists were pretty ambivalent and open to the idea of some abortions.

it was viewed by many as a strictly catholic issue which is interesting to me as a lot of current conservative christians like to strongly delineate the separations between their churches and catholicism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nelson residents fight to overturn Pendle Council tree plantation
ANGRY residents in Nelson are bidding to overturn Pendle Council's decision to plant fruit trees on a nearby recreation ground.

quote:

The plans have been vigorously opposed by 84 residents (as of 1 June), who have cited potential ‘cover for drug dealers’, ‘leaves clogging gutters’ and ‘feeling unsafe around so many trees’ as reasons to prevent the planting on Ringstone Crescent, Nelson from going ahead.

[...]

“Children often play football and other activities on the land and this won't be possible if the plans go ahead."

[...]

In the written objections, one resident wrote: “The safety and welfare of our children and grandchildren is an issue, as at present they can play on the circle in the knowledge that they are visible to all the residents should there be any problems or, God forbid, any accidents.

“If these trees were to be planted it is inevitable that there will be accidents as children will climb them to retrieve fruit.”

A further objection said: “Another major concern is that the density of the trees could provide cover for anyone dealing drugs or partaking in any other criminal activity.”

One stated that the plantation would lead to an increase in footfall, and in turn vehicles, which would be ‘a danger to us all’, while another said that she ‘wouldn’t feel safe around so many trees’.

i'd love to see a map correlating trees with criminal activity

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's hardly Sherwood forest they're making

this is what kills me. and it’s all fruit tees for free picking

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Seeing the kind of stupid bullshit that middle class resident association weirdos get indignant about is honestly one of the strongest arguments against anarchism, imo. Any kind of localised direct democracy decisionmaking would just be arguing about this dumb nonsense day in and day out. Someone needs to be able to tell these clowns to shut up because the trees are getting planted and the road's getting pedestrianised and if they don't like it they're welcome to submit their objections in writing to the ministry of development, where they will be considered with the utmost urgency.

what i think is funny is how they're always like "NOBODY ASKED ME WHAT I THOUGHT" and the council people are always "we sent out surveys for three months"

also in re that nelson nonsense, they want to plant trees on like. half of the space with a huge open area in the middle left for use by kids and other residents. it's honestly such a bizarre response that i have trouble understanding it.

i did laugh at the woman not feeling safe around trees but i accept that my fears are not necessarily going to be the same as a woman's walking around in the dark. with that said, i wonder how many of the people who complain actually ever even step foot in the green spaces.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/1403020291333410823?s=20

Corbyn destroyed Labour for all time. Recovery is impossible.

replies are cursed

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Red Oktober posted:

Starting to really wish I had waited a few weeks for Pfizer over AZ now, especially as they're not giving AZ to my age-group anymore. I wasn't concerned about clotting etc, but a 20% gap in effectiveness is not good.

is the uk pursuing any heterologous vaccination strategies? the preliminary data on 1st dose AZ followed by 2nd dose pfizer/moderna are very good

snipe: 42! pretty self-explanatory, really

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

Unfortunately I don't think that applies to delta variant. The article doesn't specify that it included new variants.

the second dose is still quite protective for delta

both the mrna vaccines have had pretty similar results in all other cases so while this is discussing pfizer i expect moderna to be similar

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

OzyMandrill posted:

Vaccine effectiveness is a tricky subject, and there's no easily graphable way really to judge, especially as you could get Covid a week after the first jab and get reduced symptoms but still count as a vaccine 'fail' for the simple charts. Inactivated virus vaccines (AZ) rely on your body choosing which parts to respond to, and can learn several different gene sequences/proteins that kick off the immune response. It's a lottery whether these are good sequences (i.e. don't vary much and are actually important functional proteins) but you should respond to multiple viral proteins. If you have double the number of infections you will get roughly double the probability of a new 'strain'. Note that most variations tend to decrease virulence, but these will not even be noticable in the data. Its only the ones with similar or better infectivity that can go on to form a new visible strain.

mRNA vaccines are new, but only encode a single protein (and rely on your body turning the rna->protein so it can see it). It is the most important one (the spike protein) so if a vaccine gets a variation in that, then yes it could dodge the vaccine but also it would no longer be viable to infect the human cells so it's still a win. It's a laser-focused vaccine, rather than broad and random. But as with all things biological, this is a guideline not a rule. There could be a change that changes the spike to dodge the vaccine response and increases virulence but the chances are very small. But again, see the point about more infections = more rolls of the dice. May only be a trillion to one, but if you're allowing it to infect millions then it will be getting billions of chances each day.

It's not all doom and gloom tho. Immune response occurring within some hours of exposure as opposed to several days is what really saves you, and that's what all the vaccines will do. That exposure as well will fill in a bunch of missing protein profiles for your immune system too (as long as you weren't really unlucky and your immune system never got a good protein to lock onto in the first place, which is virtually impossible from mRNA). But even then, it still relies on your body having a functional immune system, which not everyone has.

yeah and to this point specifically there’s some murmuring as to efficacy rates being notably better by excluding the cases generated in the first week or two after vaccination occurs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

not all of the symptoms but some of them are undoubtedly due to recovering from something like pneumonia. we either had covid or literally the worst flu of my life last year and it was months before things really got better. i still cough more today and it’s been over a year

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

here's a cbc article talking about them:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/what-we-know-about-cuba-s-homegrown-vaccine-campaign-1.5429347

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Maybe it's his physical size? Every 'humorous' American movie I've seen has a large person as a comedy figure.
In Egypt, it's people with cross-eyes who are apparently inately funny. (Older movies I mean, new movies -not comedies - are much better. Comedy essentially remains 'slapstick').

americans have been tricked into finding british accents appealing and intelligent, often despite a preponderance of evidence to the contrary

additionally he sings! in a car! with singers! clearly the pinnacle of entertainment.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

stev posted:

He makes Professional Bake Off nigh unwatchable for me. You can always tell that Bake Off contestants find the host banter irritating when they're trying to concentrate, but he just comes off as nails on chalkboard. If I were a baker I'd be kicked off the show for screaming in his face after a few hours.

I wonder how Andy Parsons got picked up by Kerb in the first place. Were they just desperate for talent at the time or does he know someone who knows someone?

god i can't stand him on there, i just tend to skip forward when he starts going off

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

I've literally never heard of this show until today, but it appears to be American, which suggests that Falafel is a building superintendent, not a landlord. He's an employee, or possibly someone with lower rent, who's job is to fix problems in the building.

Also, seems a bit harsh to tar Ayoade with this anyway. It's just a voiceover job, it's not like he wrote it. I doubt he was enthusiastically signing on to promote landlordism when he agreed to do a voice for a whimsical cartoon.

i've never watched it, but from wiki:

wiki posted:

Falafel (voiced by Sayed Badreya) – Apple and Onion's Egyptian landlord, who lets them stay in the shack on top of his building. The show's plot often revolves around Falafel overworking, or dealing with financial problems. Has a pet rooster named Ferekh for companionship.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I went to see that in the cinema and it was awful. Not even in the "I don't like this but I can see why others would" just straight up ridicule from my party of 4.

What a weird movie

i thoroughly enjoyed it and find it underrated tbh

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

There's always one

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Noxville posted:

My missus got me a bottle of my favourite bourbon (Noah’s Mill) for my birthday last week so I’m drinking that right now.

my favourite too! impossible to get in canada which is a real shame

Party Boat posted:

I got introduced to Auchentoshan by my whisky snob former brother in law and it's lovely. He described it as "breakfast whisky" because of how smooth it is.

i like auchentoshen probably because it is so inoffensively smooth. i’m not a man for peat.

Noxville posted:

Bourbons are pretty much all sweeter that scotches, it’s a result of the fact that they’re mostly made from corn rather than barley. Same with aged rums but given they’re made from sugar cane that isn’t surprising.

My favourite bourbon is Noah’s Mill but it’s expensive and hard to find, for something good in your local supermarket I’d recommend Woodford Reserve.

as a gentleman of the commonwealth (of kentucky) i agree with this post. noah’s mill is probably the best mass market bourbon at the moment. woodford reserve is good though and iirc the bourbon the derby uses for drinking and juleps (good cocktail on hot days). eagle rare is generally well received and not pricey though i dunno about its availability over there.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nothing seems to make my partners happier than when i eat anu's

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You're all just going to ignore the possibilities of "pocket loving" there then?

hot pocket loving is on my mind i admit

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

from usnews thread:

https://twitter.com/Rob_Noorollah/s...ingawful.com%2F

meanwhile everyone goes, “oh, golly gee, oh no, darn.”

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

josh04 posted:

Starmer TB Llama destroyed after drama, farmers calmer.

the sequel to the rural juror is intriguing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

Frankly I’m glad the wretched beast is finally slain, it wasted 4 years of court time for defra to finally kill it as they should of done when It first tested positive for TB. The fact this farce and media circus has been going on for 4 years is frankly a damning inditement on the state of the British legal system.

should have just told the government it was from jamaica and they would have gotten it on a plane post haste