Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I understand brits like gardening. We planted more fruit trees:

Earlier on we planted potatoes, radishes, red beets and what not

Two more currant bushes (for making cordial/squash)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

crispix posted:

what's the little house?

Kid's playhouse. I say that knowing my fiance is the one who wanted it and the one who decorated it, painted it and spends most time in it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

My fiance took a video of it when it was done, I think it's best to just watch it:
https://streamable.com/t58r5n

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

fascinating because it's both a very sophisticated bot but also the most absolutely obvious bot I've ever seen.

But enough about Starmer

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

thespaceinvader posted:

WHy are they silly?

Plenty of people don't have any route to learning life skills that isn't school, why shouldn't school equip people to live life?

(In principle that is, in practice that's not what it's there for)

Schools should absolutely teach things like cooking, cleaning, budgetting, taxation and tax brackets, basic civics, etc etc etc

In Finland schools are not just for teaching you stuff like maths and reading. But they also teach you to be a person, a better person (ideally). And it's pretty good because there are many lovely parents out there, I myself feel grateful the people at pre-school with educations in this field as well as heaps of motivation are helping to cover up the myriad of flaws in my parenting.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Dabir posted:

Christ alive my phone contract costs £20 a month and that gets me more data than I could possibly use without going out of my way to try. (O2 though, so I bet that won't last long now). What do these cunts think they're going to use "unlimited" on?

Mine is unlimited data and usually ends up under 20€

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I remember having verrucas as a kid, on my finger and on my feet. Mom kept slicing up garlic and putting them under a bandaid on the verrucas and eventually they went away. I dunno if that really worked or if it just went away on it's own.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Good use for a fudge with butyric acid.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

But surely, this is a matter best solved via the use of drugs.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Barry Foster posted:

like all matters really

efb lol

also lol at that poll

If you hadn't stopped to do drugs you might have posted first.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Necrothatcher posted:

Gros Michel bananas aren't extinct and you can still buy them. They're just not economic to farm in large quantities anymore.

I've looked in asian stores and the like but they only have the cooking bananas. Really wanna try a gros michel some day

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

imgur is down too

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wonder how many IoT things have poo poo the bed leaving people locked in/out, unable to change their thermostat, or even boil a kettle?

TBH.. gently caress'em

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Woo getting my 2nd shot in an hour. 1st was AZ, now I am getting pfizer.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Maybe we should just move the planet a bit so it orbits the sun in a round number. Or I guess spin a bit faster or slower so the days fit in better to the existing year we have. Presumably the nukes would be involved in achieving this which would be putting them to good use for a common goal. Of a tidier calendar.

I am in favor of slowly moving the earth further out, to counter the increasing luminosity of the sun, 500 million years left at most before it becomes too hot advanced life. Not enough.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jakabite posted:

Honestly just tell them this is your space that you pay for and you want to enjoy your weekend

Ruining other peoples weekends I suppose is their weekend fun. I can't see any other reason than just power tripping. Hopefully lighting will strike them dead soon.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I wonder what the effectiveness is if you get the first shot AZ then Pfizer

e: lol, efb, but thanks for that

I can pay the cat tax

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

came here to share the joy of knowing peter thiel's crazy bloodsucker vampire youth scheme's very likely to end up with him becoming, and staying, dead. also those google gazillionaires

still figuring out how to sell these idiots an eternal blockchain afterlife. nobody steal before i've pre-mined and ICO'd it

One one hand immortality (or just more life) would be nice, but if it means that billionaires get to live forever too, then I think it's better we miss out.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

My parents replaced their oil burning boiler with an air source heat pump. It has worked well they say, though the radiators had to be replaced with higher efficiency ones made for lower temps.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Also British housing insulation is bad. You really want solid insulation if you're going for phase-change compressor heating/cooling. I'm sure the free market will sort that one out though.

Reminds me of that story when scandinavian companies started selling heat pumps to british customers, but their heat pumps weren't adequate to heat their houses enough and they got lots of complaints, despite being designed to be able to heat a typical home in northern sweden.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Aramoro posted:

Yeah and with that you need 1cm pipework not microbore. A lot of folk have problems because they install a heat pump on microbore pipework and it does not work.

Never heard of microbore before, is it a UK thing? Most pipes here I think are between 15-22 mm most of the time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Discussing bog roll with a couple of other Brits in the presence of some Americans who were mightily confused and thought we were talking about some sort of bread roll.
:dafuq:

Well you know the reputation of british food.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

'British food bad lol' is one of the dumbest very common takes, and I'm convinced it's entirely based on anecdotes from people who went to a chain pub in central London on their holidays and ordered some godawful plate of fish and chips or something for £14.

I am loathe to praise the UK for anything but if anyone is going to tell me that shepherd's pie, (good, non-pub) fish and chips, sunday roasts, steak and ale pie, sausage and mash etc etc etc are just by definition poo poo I'm going to call them an idiot, and that's just the stuff you can get anywhere. Our desserts are loving A across the board - yes, even spotted dick - and we have some amazing meats and a million types of great beer, and they'll kill me for saying it but I genuinely think the UK has the best cheese game in Europe, even better than France or Italy. I don't even really understand the part where they say we can't season. Sure, we don't use chillis or many spices, but there's a lot you can do with a good variety of herbs.

It's not like Finland has the best reputation either when it comes to food. Best known for 100% sourdough rye breads but other than that it's often times not positive.

We also have our own version of black sausage. Also blood bread and blood pancakes (tiny crepe looking things).

Though I watched a video on London jellied eels and that dish might explain a lot re: your reputation.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Since food is being talked about. Here's some examples of finnish food from my own post history.

Soup with dumplings (plainer dumplings cannot be found, just flour, milk, salt) and crisp bread:

Rye bread with smoked ham, typical finnish sandwich, not a lot on it, open topped.

Fried dark sweet bread with some fish stuff and veggies

Oven pancakes with jam and whipped cream. Jam is important, never ever syrups, jam only, finland is jam country, gotta e made from a berry or else.

Mashed potatoes and meatballs, might say that's swedish but Finland and Swedens history and culture are very intertwined.

Boiled almond potatoes, fried pork belly (uncured) with drippings as sauce

Dip the rye bread in the drippings

Grilled sausages, high flour content, typical finnish "bangers", eaten by the cartload in finland in summer. Nothing says summer like grilling sausages here.

Cabbage casserole, ground beef, eggs, shredded cabbage, salt, white pepper, into the oven. Eat with boiled potatoes and lingonberry jam.

Summer food, boiled new potatoes, sauce is butter, onions, salt and some water. Various grilled meats and veggies.

And of course, the sandwich cake (tuna, shrimp, gravlax)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's a sandwich, hence the sponge is bread, typically a neutral white bread like toast. Man smörgåstårta is good. There's also stuff like cheese and mayo in it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

endlessmonotony posted:

Where are my karelian pies you bastard?

Oh I buy those from Lidl :)

Their bakery is really loving good, as are those "maalais croissants".

And yes fried herring is a favorite of people here, very traditional. But I personally cannot stand it so I've never made it myself.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 23, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Angrymog posted:

That oven pancake looks lovely, what's the recipe?

Thanks, this is the basic recipe I use:

quote:

4 dl wheat flour
1½ dl sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla sugar
8 dl milk
2 eggs
100 g melted butter

Mix the ingredients and pour into a greased pan and into the oven at 200c for 20-30 minutes, it might swell a lot in the oven, but it goes back down.

That time I also tossed in some granny smith apple slices in the pan. And I think I cut down on the sugar to 1dl only, perhaps even only 50ml. I also tend to skip the vanilla. I think you can also vary the eggs by a lot. Oven pancake recipes varies a lot...

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 23, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I would've put almost everyone on that photo as 10 years older.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

therattle posted:

Isn’t an oven pancake just a cake?

No I think they come out quite differently from griddled pancakes or crepes, I like them best when the insides are moist, almost runny. And often they are made without any baking powder too which also removes them a bit further from a regular pancake.

And no fan that I know of wrt the oven thing, it's kinda hard to give an accurate estimate because peoples ovens perform differently. I regularly need to set mine lower than most other peoples so I set mine to 175 for instance or it will be too hot. Might be the 10mm plate of steel I got in the oven at all times.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I will start a war with the entire rest of the world that thinks a pancake should not have any raising agent in it.

Having trouble parsing this, did you mean to add the bolded word?

At any rate I like it better without, also like crepes more than regular pancakes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

Buy a scythe and you can cut your lawn whenever you want, and you should definitely do it at night, with the scythe, in your dressing gown, and then sit outside and sharpen the scythe while staring at the house of your neighbour.

I am actually doing that, sans dressing gown and staring.

Made a snath from a piece of wood and I've forged a ring which takes a wooden wedge to hold the scythe blade in place. Been forging another ring like thing to hold a single handle (eastern european design) that I can move about the snath as I want it. Using it to mow the ditches and stuff around the yard, loving hate the weed whacker, dressing up in all the protective equipment, the noise and the eternal fight to keep the engine working.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've not really found weedwhackers to be that much faster, more setup time too. I can just start using the scythe in sandals and shorts and it took me five minutes to clear one ditch when I first tried without any handles, basically as fast as I would've done it with the weedwhacker. I also detest working on engines so I really value not having to do that. One time I started it up, flies came flying out of it.

Also consider the microplastic pollution.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mano posted:

Uuuh, please use good boots with a scythe if you value having toes. You don’t miss them till you don’t have them anymore.

In usage it's practically impossible to get the blade come flying at your feet, you''re holding it on a long stick and would have to switch up to a weird grip to get it to come at your feet. The most dangerous situation I can come up with is when walking with it, but this depends on how you hold it.

At any rate I mostly walk about in a sort of hybrid boot / slipper that's closed at the front during summers.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mebh posted:

I hate dealing with weeds and grass so much I spent the last two weekends de turfing my front patch of grass, planting roses I've been growing over lockdown and a bay tree/bottle brush tree in it and filling the space with wood chips.

I'm pretty pleased with the results!

Now I have to do the side bit which is twice the size and is full of demon nettles.

Looks nice, we've done the same around some bushes. But our yard is 2400m2 and 800-ish of it is lawn. What I did this year was get the most middle class thing possible, a robot mower when my regular walk behind mowers gearbox literally melted down. But man it's so nice. It keeps the grass trimmed and I only occassionally need to rescue it. This way I can keep the lawn trimmed higher than when I used a regular mower, so it doesn't cut away most of the flowers.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Talked scythes a couple days ago, here's my scythe frankenstein now.

Norweigan carbon steel blade, homemade snath in eastern european fashion with a single handle and wedge style attachement. I need to work on the handle ring yet, didn't get it the proper size for the snath (which is hand carved so not perfectly round or straight all the way). Had to resort to some shims to make it fit for now. I have made it so you turn the handle to tighten the ring around the snath. The idea is you will be able to easily move the single handle to where you want it without tools. I might make it into a two handle setup yet though.

Had to reinforce the snath, it broke more than once. Fir isn't the ideal material... But cheap and light.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

learnincurve posted:

gently caress no this one’s a Tory oval office who makes tory propaganda for children.

It just goes under the radar because Apple and Onion is so loving irritating that parents tune out before they sneak in “listen up kids the main characters are slum landlords being ripped off this is why you shouldn’t rent to Mexicans”

I swear to actual Christ that was an episode of that loving show.

Thought you where referring to this, my kids love these fuckers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dia_Kt8yJNg

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Josef bugman posted:

I wish I'd gotten into music.

I never do honestly, seems like a real bother and time waster. I am actually quite glad every time I remember I never spend any money on music or sports.

e:
not like I don't listen to music, I don't have that thing wher eyou can't appreciate rythm and music (a real syndrome), I just never spend any money or time on it, I just turn on the radio. I just never got people that would spend hours listening to CDs, like a lot of my friends did when I was a kid. I've never cared enough about a band to spend money on CDs, or going to their concerts or other merchandise. I saved my money for videogames and 3D accelerator hardware as a kid.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 30, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

learnincurve posted:

There is that cartoon of people stepping over a homeless man and above their heads it has their actual worth and it says stuff like “-1 million pound mortgage” “-£10k credit cards” and the homeless man is the only one with “+£1.58”

Replace people with countries and make the homeless people countries that practice austerity.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I just wanted to say it's time for ice cream. Holy hell I'm sweating.

This I believe is a traditional british flavour (rum raisin). Actually one of my favorites,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Miftan posted:

Aren't you in Finland? I'm guessing it's 20c.

24C actually and I've shifted several cubic meters of gravel by shovel and wheel barrow. Probably colder right now though, just finished for the night.