Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

stev posted:

Twitter is abuzz today with this perfect London class divide microcosm. People who don't own the handful of multimillion pound penthouses (and merely rent or own 'affordable' units costing a mere £700k) in these blocks have to look out of their windows and watch the super rich splash about on a giant platform made of hubris. I hear it's unsinkable.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1399678383727034369?s=19

Why am I attaching this bag full of dogshit to a drone? No reason...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1400559711360098308?s=19

Desperate throw of the dice to try to prevent Beckett winning and taking a load of money away from Labour?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Heavy Woollen Independent guy isn't standing in Batley and/or Spen apparently, which makes it probably a harder hold for Labour.

Poor old Starmzy

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

Oh poo poo time to get interested in football briefly again

Cam eeeeeern!!

Come and post in The Ray Parlour Bruce Arena Jizz Hornkamp

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

pretty handy cover from libel claims too

"this crystal ball I bought from H Samuels showed me the parents murdered her" is a lot less actionable sounding than "the parents did it for fucks sake"

still not as good a cover as being rich white doctors with PR connections I guess but it's just a bit of libel, not murdering a kid

I mean, "the parents killed her" is definitely the funny edgy banter explanation but it doesn't really stack up. Neither the how or the why questions are easily answered, and if you'd killed your kid why would you ntentionally create an enormous international media circus for years?

They were definitely negligent idiots, but I don't think they actually killed her, or covered up an accidental death even.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Gort posted:

I always thought medals and titles for the highest taxpayers each year would be a good way to incentivise paying taxes among the richest given that taxes are basically voluntary for them

Publish the top 100/1000 in the Times every year instead of the Rich List.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Green candidate for Batley and Spen has been dropped.

Going to just be a straight head to head between Labour and Tories at this rate. Other than the usual assortment of by-election weirdos.

Yes, the Lib Dems

e: page 21, so have 2 posts instead of 1

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 7, 2021

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

It's cool but why would you not post this?

https://twitter.com/ALRlGHTNOW/status/1401530958189412355?s=19

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Was having a little think about Islington North in the next General Election, whenever that might be.

It seems unlikely, as it stands, that Corbyn is getting the Labour whip back. Do we think he'd stand as an independent in that case?

And, would doing so result in him being kicked out of the Party as a member? You're not supposed to be able to remain in the party if you've campaigned for a non-party candidate, right? I feel like that's one of the possible reasons why he might not do it, other than being fairly old and not wanting to go through the absolute circus that it would involve either way.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

E: hmmm that's a bad snipe. Weird that there's no month with 29 days tho.

February is doing the best it can.

We should have 13 months of 28 days though. When I become God-Emperor of Earth this shall come to pass.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I looked into that legal defence fund for Corbyn thing from a while ago. They've got 370k sitting in a go fund me account but can't start a bank account for some reason? Because banks won't let new businesses start current accounts? Bit weird.

I had an update from them this morning, actually. Sounds like they're going to just transfer the money to Corbyn directly, to be used either for legal fees or donated to the War on Want if it turns out to not be needed.

quote:

Hello my dear friends and comrades.

It's been quite some time since I've been able to update you all on what is happening with Jeremy's Legal Fund. I can only apologise for this, and I hope that when I explain what's been happening, you will understand the reasons for this.

As you know from my previous updates, JBC Defence Ltd has spent months attempting to open a bank account to receive your donations. Unfortunately we have been unsuccessful for two reasons.

The first is that many banks are not taking new applications for business current accounts.

The second reason is that where we were able to submit applications to a small number of UK banks, all of these were declined without any reason given.

GoFundMe has agreed in principle for the money to be transferred directly to Jeremy as the legal beneficiary of the fund, to be used for the express purpose of his legal defence against any libel claim brought by John Ware.

However, as you may know, Jeremy is facing another legal challenge in the form of a libel case brought by Richard Millett. I would very much like Jeremy to have the option to use some of the funds we have raised to help with any costs in relation to this case as well, should he need it.

In the event that these legal threats go away at some stage in the future, Jeremy has indicated that he would like to have the option to donate any surplus funds from this campaign to War on Want, a registered charity that fights against the root causes of poverty and human rights violations, as part of the worldwide movement for global justice.

If you do not wish for your donations to be used for either of the above, please be assured that you can request a refund of your donation over the next two weeks by contacting GoFundMe's team here:

https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000288632

There are no plans to close the Fund so JBC Defence Ltd. will continue to provide support to Jeremy in matters relating to the Fund, and of course I will continue to update you via GoFundMe for the foreseeable future.

I am very grateful to you all for your unstinting support and generosity as we stand united behind Jeremy, a man of humility, integrity and honesty and in my view one of the greatest politicians of our age.

My love and gratitude to each and every one of you who has made this possible.

Carole xxx

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Reveilled posted:

13's prime and too hard to divide neatly. My god emperor pitch: 12 months of 28 days, with two intercalary days between each as mandatory public holidays, except December into January, which will have a seven day intercalary festival (leap day will go here).

Basically the French Republican Calendar but with 7 day weeks.

So 11 30-day months and one 35-day month, effectively. But with a whole pile of days that exist outside of the Mon-Sun week, including a full week in mega-December.

I do like that it neatly covers the usual Christmas-New Year lull and takes away the issues of whether or not you have to go in for work in between the two.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I think it was the Roman Republic that made a calendar which doesn't add up to a whole year. They just said "gently caress it, we'll get nothing done in winter anyway so let's just not count days during it."

Yeah, that's (part of) why our numbered months are all hosed up, and the calendar year doesn't overlap neatly with seasons and so on.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Double jabbed

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Haha, just had a text from the NHS telling me that because I'm in a high priority group I can reschedule my second jab to an earlier date.

I had my second jab two hours ago.

Thanks, though!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Rarity posted:

Hey everyone I hear that it's coming home, can anyone confirm/deny?

Hello friend, nice to see you here.

To answer your query, you can check this handy internet website.

https://isitcominghome.com/

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

crispix posted:

it would be v funny if scotland beat england hehehehe

just absolute carnage in every wetherspoons in the land

Guaranteed Scottish Independence vote-winner.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Excited for the formation of a new class system based around which vaccination people got.

Signing up as a downtrodden AZ.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/AmmarKazmi_/status/1405609214534430720?s=19

Some interesting stuff here

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

bump_fn posted:

lmao does gibraltar even have room for a pitch

They have a league! Every team plays on the same pitch.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

feedmegin posted:

So uh who are these workers party geezers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v9IXwFb_cg

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/TommyCorbyn/status/1406724732699938827?s=19

The absolute Dad

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

TACD posted:

Can we have an actual bag of wet eggs as Labour leader instead please

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1407266486104821761

Retweet an Independent article by an actor? That's a resignation.

Be found to have unlawfully funnelled money to your mates? Nah, just carry on working hard.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Shyrka posted:

When I was in hospital a few years ago I got a letter summarising my treatment afterwards which specifically mentioned how I was admitted with pain in my tummy and thought they were deliberately taking the piss.

I'd had a letter from my doctor when I was in my mid 20s addressed to 'Master Shyrka' and I sent them a snippy email back saying I'm not a child so it should be Mr so I figured someone put a note on my file specifically saying to use infantilising language.

"Ickle Shyrka got a bad boo boo in their tummy, but clever Doctor made it all better."

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

If I was going to concoct the perfect chippy tea in my town it would involve going to three separate establishments. One for high quality and generously-portioned chips, one for vegan delights (battered pickles and tofish) and one for the best curry sauce (Chinese-style)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Borrovan posted:

Guessing you mean Joe's for the chips (if that's still there), but the one at Cainscross absolutely blows them out of the water for fish :colbert:

e: to win 76-0 we need to score every 35 seconds for the entire second half

Big Fish up on Nelson Street for quantity of chips, Simpson's for the fancy vegan poo poo, Jolly Fryer in Cashes Green for lurid orange curry sauce.

Where is/was Joe's?

e: Fortune Takeaway in Cainscross has a door at the front for fish and chips and a separate one round the side for Chinese and they seem to operate different business hours. Very confusing but the chips from the Chinese side were very crispy and nice, from memory.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 22, 2021

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Tarnop posted:

Oh I didn't know that about them. Thanks for the heads up

There was a goon making custom artisanal silicon dongs a while back, maybe worth a look for people so inclined. Thread in SA Mart or possibly A/T

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

I've said this before but the best thing the monarchy could do is get Charles to gently caress off and pass it straight to William. William is relatively young and fairly popular, nice happy good-looking (for monarchs) family that are very photogenic, plus he's involved in football so that's always a plus. The older generation are already in thanks to the Queen hanging around for so long, it's the younguns who they need to get onboard. Having William grow old with them will indoctrinate another generation or two.

Charles seems fairly insistent on taking the crown though so you can imagine he'll stick around for 20 years or so, by which time William will be pushing 60.

Hopefully that'll convince the public to gently caress them off forever.

The Crusader Kings move would be for Liz to push Charlie off a balcony when she thinks she's nearing the end.

Either that or blow him up with an enormous pile of manure.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Was time commanders the one that used the total war engine? That was cool.

Yeah, it was great. The teams gave their orders and then an offscreen nerd played TW for a bit. Basically an audience participation Let's Play on primetime TV.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Aw man, not Thangam. I remember her seeming great around the election. :smith:

Nah she's been shite for a long while and might end up losing her seat to the Greens. She's just got a fun name to sing.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If Zipcar ever start black boxing their cars I'm hosed. I mean what's the point of a hire car if *not* to do impromptu performance testing? as P.J. O'Rourke put it:

Can confirm, writing off a rental car is much more fun than writing off your own car.

Although I can't really recommend either.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/thesundaytimes/status/1409106390073946112?s=19

Andrew Adonis is cutting diamonds right now

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

SpaceCommie posted:

I'm still hoping Zarah Sultana gets a shot at the leadership. If there's another leadership election and the right win again I might just cancel my direct debit finally. I'm going to need that £5 a month come August for the Games Workshop app anyway ...

She's ace but has only been an MP since 2019.

In an ideal world she'd be the next leader but one. I'd settle for Clive Lewis in the short-term.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

I think Bill Bailey is quite good, if quiet and not very online.

IIRC he had some dodgy "aren't foreign accents funny" material a few tours back but otherwise fairly sound yeah

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are both very poor films, that's my hot take

What the gently caress is going on in this thread today?

Has everyone been on the piss since 9am because of the football?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Also Worlds End isn't great. It's still great cinematography, but the story feels a touch thin on occasion. Could have done with more time to sand the edges off.

Yeah, I watched it in the cinema immediately after the other two back to back and it was a big step down. Definitely felt like an early draft, needed another run through and a bucket of jokes thrown at it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What is a GOAT film?

:duncescap:

Greatest Of All Time

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm enjoying how all those front pages conveniently ignore the fact that England were absolute shite for 70 minutes

Irrelevant

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

England still have a lot of room for improvement - for whatever reason Kane just isn't clicking with the rest of the team (I'm certain he's injured because even by his standards he's been pretty much immobile all tournament), the wingbacks just aren't working out either in defence or attack, and the back 3 occasionally trip over each other - but apart from the second half against Scotland and the first 15 minutes against Germany we've never looked *bad*.

Shaw was one of the best players on the pitch last night, and we're still yet to concede a goal.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Losing because of Galloway will mean everyone prints pictures of him and Corbyn hanging out 15 years ago and blames it on the hard left and horseshoes and so on.

I mean they'll probably do that anyway but still. Starmer is poo poo enough to lose on his own lack of merit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

We can grow peaches and then the millions of climate refugees can pick them for us. Win-win.

Until the gulf stream shifts and we all freeze, anyway.