Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Too late I already flytipped an old mattress and a bunch of pro-EU propaganda leaflets on the hard shoulder of the M1

You were supposed to dump the leaflets in Larne ffs! :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Speaking of naval battles the World War 2 channel did a fantastic video on the world's first carrier vs. carrier battle a couple weeks ago

https://youtu.be/k6WVEe_F6lw

And the battle of midway is coming up (first video drops tomorrow I think) and I'm excited

For all your naval needs this is the lad you want: Drachinifel https://www.youtube.com/c/Drachinifel/videos been following him for a couple of years now, mostly covering everything up to the late 1940's as good information after that is usually classified or can't be verified.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

NORMAN

NORMAN!!!!!!!!!! NOW THE TALIBANS IN PUDDING NORTON ARE TELLING THE YOUNG WOMEN THEY CAN'T GO OUT WITHOUT COVERING THEMSELVES UP

NO NORMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S DIFFERENT I ONLY SCOLDED THEM BECAUSE THEY WERE DRESSED LIKE TARTS, OH YOU ARE OBTUSE, NORMAN :mad:

Now you've got me pining for British sitcoms 1960-1990. :bahgawd:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Beefeater1980 posted:

This I think would work. Do the face of the runner up in utter agony for bonus points.

Just got a visit from the TV licence man, grunted and closed my front door and had a cup of tea... that's me pissed off & stressed out for the rest of the week.

Don't watch tv at all, listen to radio or interact with bbc iplayer in any way.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

A lobotomy patient called Bubba recently wandered off from a local institution, peopole are warned not to approach him as he is still a useless twat.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Kief stronk!!!

Labour should have used the Michael D Higgins quote in Irish: 'Ní neart go cur le chéile' – There’s no strength without unity.

I'm sure it would have worked even better with the gammons.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Just another dinosaur..... sweet, sweet irony. :buddy:

My bet is on Jeffery Donaldson getting the job next with Sammy Wilson as the comedy option.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Can we hurry up with Irish reunification please?

I want to swap the insane politicians/politics in the UK & NI for the bog standard corrupt ones down south and invest in companies making dodgy building blocks. :pray:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Sometimes I will just sit and eat a block of cheese on its own, I assume this is basically the relationship taste equivalent.

Grate that cheese for a more intense hit. :discourse:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz & Paul are fun.... World's End is a load of shite. :colbert:

Really need to have a look on YT for the Fast Show which i always found very funny; Jesse's Diets: "This week.....i been mostly giving blowjobs".

Scorchio! :sun:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

My music tastes range from Midnight Oil ('Beds Are Burning' is NOT their only loving song ffs!!!) to Dave Brubeck.

But country & western music should be wiped from the racial memory of humanity or restricted to the USA (the Irish version is particularly horrid, i was subjected to a whole night of Hugo Duncan when i was working in the hotel kitchen decades ago). :commissar:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Losing the Gulf Stream is like letting go of a hosepipe that has been turned on full blast; it's spraying like hell but there will be zero predictability as to where the water goes and for how long.

If it goes it will take a long time for it to settle into a new stable state with absolutely no guarantee of any benefit to humanity... good luck farming in that event.

'It will be Biblical' seems like a decent definition of the outcome.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

stev posted:

They're handy to have for big purchases just for the protection you get under the Consumer Credit Act. I usually use mine if I'm spending more than a few hundo on anything and pay it off straight away.

Anything i buy online is via a credit card for exactly this reason.

A mess on a credit card is their problem, a mess on a debit card is very much YOUR problem which can be quite unpleasant.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mask on is going to be my default setting for the next few years, cuts down on other afflictions plus covid and i don't have to put on a fake half smile all the time to avoid weird looks (for some reason my resting face looks as sour as a bag of lemons even though i'm not that internally). :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Still got Sharwoods noodles (technically noodles) i bought in 2016, i eat the odd packet but they are mainly my fall back for the oncoming food shortage.

Throw some scallions & olive oil into them and they do the job well enough.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jakabite posted:

What the heck is up with all this scallions business? They’re spring onions you traitors

As a Norn Irn man i refuse to use the imposed veg name of the vile foreign oppressors (says ironically in english). :confuoot:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Covid; the new Tuberculosis.... not that the old one is truly gone.

Booze talk; not had a drink since January but with the 12th coming up here in glorious Norn Irn i will see if they are selling any very cheaply priced spirits in Tesco/Lidl this Friday, i may or may not get a bottle... i'm not even protestant but cheap is cheap. :shrug:

My own addiction is food but no matter what it is for everyone else; the fight goes on; to strive, to seek, to find..... and not to yield.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

How long do you think it will take before the shitehawk media start claiming long covid sufferers are malingering scroungers?

I give it another 4 months.

They will get lumped in with the Myalgic Encephalomyelitis sufferers, job done.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

CGI Stardust posted:

back when Long Covid first made an appearance I was hoping the seeming commonalities with ME would maybe lead to both being taken more seriously, some research done, find out if there's anything common and whether they're treatable (also maybe getting rid of doctors who don't believe it exists or think it's shorthand for "lack of willpower"). but nooooope, it's falling into the same pit, isn't it? "here's some people who say they've got it. my, how terrible. now, to forget all about it"

My sisters hubby has M.E., he had to fight that poo poo for years.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I used to live really near a 24 hour supermarket and honestly unless you needed to buy stuff they could only sell during regular hours i.e alcohol, then going shopping really late or in the very early morning was great if it fit with work/lifestyle. Just peace and quiet, and no messing around with queues. Loved it.

When i was working i loved doing my shopping after nightshift, 7:30 and nobody but shelfstackers and a few like minded shoppers.

For the first three months of the covid restrictions i got to drive on practically empty roads when they used to be crowded man that was relaxing. :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

As i'm not enamoured to listening about it for the next few decades (see 1966 & all that) i hope that Italy shafts England big time tonight. :colbert:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

jaete posted:

......, we're never gonna hear the end of it

The alternative was also; we're never gonna hear the end of it.

Condolences to the players but i don't need another '1966' meme atm.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

3. Penalty shoot out goals widened by 10 metres for all countries starting with 'E'.
4. +4 starting advantage to country that either once owned, invaded, or defending against the other.

Éire approves of this. :boom:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

My 12th July in Norn Irn went reasonably well, Lambeg Drum noise was limited by distance thankfully and my next door neighbour gave me a glass of vodka as he thought why should it only be Orangemen who get to enjoy a lovely day, we also celebrated our mutual escape from English triumphalism over a game of football (it's not the players but the media that we detest). :cheersbird:

Now i can return to my utter hatred of the Tories in peaceful solitude.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

When people were into Ian M Banks i was busy grooving to Frank Herbert, Gordon R Dickson and Julian May (easier to be taken seriously in publishing back in the 50s when a woman had to use a mans name). :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Unless you have found a way to make boris live for hundreds of years however it is probably a very good goal for boris.

We'll just have to copy the Chinese and wipe out his genetic line.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Bit late for that, he's basically a human dandelion.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Good luck tracking down all those kids even he doesn’t know about.

Fine, a broad stroke it will have to be... kill everyone and let god sort them out (Boris would love that historical reference).

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've found it. The hottest take:

Those are words but not in a recognisably coherent order, gently caress..... i'm getting old & crotchety. :corsair:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

So that is what a good man sounds like.... a rare person in these times. :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

UKMT Summer 2021: Yet more have joined a third camp, who worship fire

Could have had a field day with :asoiaf: quotes..... pity it all turned to shite. :yikes:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Convex posted:

Uh what

That was just a joke man the article is legit

Apologies man, didn't know anything about an article. Your post linked in nicely with 'A Game Of Thrones' so i went with it as an attempt at humour. :ohdear:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Still got loads of Sharwoods noodles from 2016 that i'm slowly working through (taste the same as always).

Thought it was going to be bad last year, guess my timing was off and now i'm working through my stores.

I personally avoid foods containing tomatoes/sauce as it can corrode the tins/lids from the inside, strangely worse than pickled foods. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Borrovan posted:

Anyway, someone mentioned food so here's the barbecue I made tonight & photographed to post elsewhere, I'm inordinately proud of it because it was delicious:

The bad news is, I'm on my last glass of calvados, & unlikely to be back to France this year :( White people problems though & it's been a nice evening

Couscous, pine nuts, broccoli, cheese(feta?)... not sure of meat type but definitely very: :discourse:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This 5G chip is useless. I went on google maps just now and it has plonked me in Tring. (I'm in South Wales). Huh. Makes a change from Sheffield or Glasgow I guess! Last week it decided I was in Devon.

Pretty sure that is your clones location and not yours, damned things are glitching atm and we don't even reach Solar Maximum till 2025-26. :science: :supaburn:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

An eminently relatable post indeed.

It's too damned hot and i'm taking three short cold showers a day so i don't melt and become a huge greasy blob on the carpet.

Norn Irn is not usually so meltable but it does bring back fond memories of 1976; the tarmac melting and me driving my Matchbox F1 cars through the sticky black goop with great delight.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Szmitten posted:

I thought the aim of the game was to not poo poo your pants though.

Only in a limited & specific way. ;)

What brand did OwlFancier go for anyway?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

if you don't mind olive green or brown, your local army surplus place will have sweat wicking t shirts that work really well from anywhere between a quid and several, depending on if you care if someone wore it before you

seconding dickies for good work trou

Unless it looks very distinctive from UK surplus (with a nice big Finnish/German fleg on it) i would not wear surplus here in N.I. *insert obese soldier emote here*.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

analphabetic posted:

So......is everything still opening with restrictions removed tomorrow then?

No idea, just "chilling" and waiting for the spike in deaths down the line tbh, brutal but honest. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I can't change what other people do but i can & will continue to wear a mask and gloves when out in the community.

Anyone would think it had vanished in the blink of an eye. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The only concession I've made to any kind of reopening is starting to go to the cinema again, and even then, only going midweek afternoons so it's just me and 2 or 3 pensioners I can at least outrun in any given screen.

And even then, I'm doublemasking and avoiding everyone like I'm the boy in the bubble.

I just want to see Dune :pray: and then return to my semi detached house of solitude for a few years.