Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Tidying up. I was about to put some Christmas ornaments that I found ontop of a cupboard in the roof until the wife pointed out if I just left them another 6 months it'd be Christmas again.

Also can you remove me from the Sheffield South East CLP in the OP Guavanaut? Not been a member since Keith won the leadership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The only qualification for my industry (games) is being utterly obsessed with them... But not so much that you would post about them online in any way that could be ever linked to your real identity.

I assume its like that Giles Brandreth quote where he said no matter the political compass of someone, all politicians are united in their loathing of the electorate. Most game devs feel the same!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I got my first "proper" job spamming cvs like I was advised. It was at a market research company cold calling people at the NHS in the early 2000s asking how they felt about govt. cuts.

I had no ounce of political knowledge and was constantly getting dressed down by overworked, underpaid, yet very smart people who got more and more pissed off as I went down the list of questions like "out of 5 how did you rate the changes, where 1 is less approval"

After 2 weeks I just hid in my bedroom one day and stopped answering my phone.

Still get anxious thinking about that loving job.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Psyllium husks are the absolute poo poo. (literally lol)

I used to think old people were mad to be obsessed with fiber but goddamn. I got old, and it makes quite the difference.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Weather is quite nice ain't it?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I am my mother's landlord technically. Except I pay all her bills and don't charge her rent.

I just spent the day building furniture at her place, fixed the sink, put up some shelves and ordered a water butt for her back garden and stole some of her sage Bush to plant at my place.

Thing is, if she wasn't my mum and I was renting the place out I'd still help out if needed... Because it's like...my house and I'm responsible for its maintenance and making sure it's nice for whoever is there.

I can't imagine just loving turning up unannounced, that's some awful power trip bullshit. Especially hanging around like they are.

I'd have said go to a cheese shop and buy some raclette and make an enormous stinky fondue. They might leave and then you'd have raclette!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

But raclette =(

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Stobart air of Eddie Stobart the trucks?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I made roast lamb for my mum today, got up at 8am to put it on, was done by 2pm! Put it on the table to serve and it just fell apart into shredded joy. Unf.

I discovered that new potatos make amazing roasties if you boil them for 10m first then smoosh them a little with a fork before tossing them into a pan of hot fat.

Way less hassle than proper roasties which always bugged me what with wasting the skins and all.

My mum surprised us at one point by going on a rant about how lovely Israel is being to Palestine and how its tragic nobody cares but that "some fool from Britain who thought he could draw the best lines on a map a hundred years ago" was the root cause. Best summary of Sykes Picot I've heard. Hope for her yet.

All in all, a good day. Now drinking rum and probably going to go bother crispix on IRC. (ukgoons on synirc!!)

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Hey Camrath your fudge code for free shipping expired =( I bought fudge anyway!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I thought he promised his wife and family he'd never put them through another election.

Can't imagine he'd line up to have everyone he cares about gatling gunned by the press by jumping into the labour leadership.

Though I could see him doing it as a tremendous gently caress you. He seems the sort.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My local is a cash only Chinese and chip shop combo. His chips are average, but his fish... My god. Batter that you can hear across the room when you bite into it and succulent juicy fresh fish.

He always adds little extra fried fish bites to my cod and he does a fried rice that is so stuffed and compressed into the container it explodes out when you open it.

If you order the sweet and sour pork balls they're in the same batter as the fish and its just to die for.

Dammit goons its 230am and I had kfc today so I can't go for f&c for a week at least =(

Mebh
May 10, 2010

https://nation.cymru/news/conservative-mp-launches-campaign-to-put-a-portrait-of-the-queen-in-every-british-home/

Tories are loving weird.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Obligatory

https://twitter.com/IvanIvanovichC2/status/1408027127736373251

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I'm so not surprised. Acab. gently caress him and the horse of centrist diarrhea he rode in on.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Stronk

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I mean most squishy bits are fairly similar in a darkened room once you get down to it.

Plus power and fame, stability and money for life.

Not to mention when you get past the public personas and all the horrible political poo poo (which as evidenced by *gestures to the entire world* most people don't give a gently caress about) a major reason they are where they are is they're often fairly charismatic and charming in person.

Don't need much more than that.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Yes but I would prefer them to not be accompanied by a constant chuntering of racist poetry from the darkness.

I'm sure that's a turn on for some people.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Noise has to be absurdly egregious for a white suburb dweller to get in trouble for it.

Just do what the rest of us do, aggressively plant improper shrubbery at them.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

People make noise. Various people are more or less tolerant to said noise.

I can't even have the windows open at night because the birds make my partner irrationally angry in the morning.

It does seem adhd makes it super easy to ignore the gently caress out of background noise like neighbours in their garden or parties though.

Put someone in a room with me quietly reading audible words and my brain loving melts if I'm trying to do something else though.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Two more grunting binbags filled with custard.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

I loving hate the weed whacker, dressing up in all the protective equipment, the noise and the eternal fight to keep the engine working.

I hate dealing with weeds and grass so much I spent the last two weekends de turfing my front patch of grass, planting roses I've been growing over lockdown and a bay tree/bottle brush tree in it and filling the space with wood chips.

I'm pretty pleased with the results!

Now I have to do the side bit which is twice the size and is full of demon nettles.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My wife and I have made several jokes about throwing terfs into the skip it's true.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

learnincurve posted:

I have mint and strawberries underneath roses.

When I moved in it was grass and this unkempt yukka thing, put in 10m of natural hedgerow and about 15m of roses and a mini orchard.

Check out my yukka thing now!

That looks ace! Wife and I just spent an hour looking at ridiculous outdoor wall objects from China. Tempted to cover the front of the house with random tat like solar peacocks and neon crabs for giggles.

gently caress it, its our house.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jesus christ how are they so poo poo. It's got to be intentional at this point.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It's my pride and joy. I know it's "easy" to install but I measured, bought the right attachment, had all the tools laid out and installed it without a hitch. Felt like my dad.

Well except my dad would have cut his thumb and sworn before going and getting drunk and yelling at my mum. But still.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Got a credit card when I moved back here due to moving and buying a house eating all my savings.
Bought a nice sofa with it and paid for eye surgery for the wife.

Still paying it off at 200 a month but in general it was a life saver.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Miftan posted:

it won't have any actual effect beyond everyone laughing at Keith.

This, regardless of outcome.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I could see maybe it being useful if you were like hiking or working outdoors in monsoon conditions and needed a supply of tea that couldn't get wet but then... Zip lock bags? It's so niche and pointless. Like most products under capitalism!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

minema posted:

I can't stop reading mega pessimistic poo poo about climate change and it's really loving me up but I can't stop! I can usually put it to the back of my head and just accept it but the last few weeks it's been very all consuming. Stupid because if the most pessimistic views were right in the end it'd be way better to enjoy my life now while I can! Any advice from anyone?

Are you in government, a position of power or a wealthy billionaire? If so there is gently caress all you can do about it but vote and encourage others to vote. Destroying yourself from worry won't fix it, it'll just destroy yourself. Help others where you can, donate time and or money to charities and others that need it and do your best to make your bit of the world a better place for everyone you touch . That way you can find some semblance of zen before the fiery apocalypse consumes us all. (it won't get mad max til our grandchildren... So maybe don't have them)

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Are... Are you OK Crispix?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jul/04/johnson-set-to-press-on-with-plans-for-greater-control-over-nhs?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Some fun bedtime reading. Looks like we're off to a good start.

At least they ruled out loving Dido Harding as the new NHS boss.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I just think the fans are mostly nationalistic wankers.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Posts like this are embarrassing.

Eh you're right. I'm just feeling really fed up with football as its invaded every aspect of my work life as well as here and my home life.

That's no reason to generalise about the fans who almost certainly are 95% decent happy folk and like anything else probably less than 5% twattery.

I won't deny that watching the insane goal reaction videos from last night was quite entertaining.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

We got an email from work earlier today saying everyone gets tomorrow morning off for free.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

With sewers backing up such that your toilets are overflowing into your house what the gently caress do you do? I don't even know how I'd cope with that.

Thank gently caress I live on top of a 500 foot hill in Sheffield...

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I had a dream that Ian Duncan Smith was secretly a lefty and told me he was resigning today. I asked him why he wasn't just defecting to another party and he laughed and said "who to?".

I'm very confused because I was watching attack on titan before bed and that's very much not related...

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Aw man. That's really sad.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I don't want a warm talking bath with Keith :gonk: make it stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So my company is hiring a junior games designer, no experience needed just a mad passion for games. We'll obviously look at everyone but specifically we're looking to expand our diversity. There are too many bald, straight men in the games industry (myself included among them)

If anyone here knows anyone who might be interested or maybe would fit the bill themselves drop me a pm for the details. We're getting 100 applicants a day since we opened the post.

Its Sheffield based but the opportunity for fully remote work is rather high since we no longer fit in our office.