Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Terrific. "We must be open to debate and the way to do that is to silence the left"

Pure Blairite double speak.

We must be open to debate from the right about whether we are right wing enough.

(We're not)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bobstar posted:

The "why didn't they teach us X life skills" people are silly, but maybe schools should teach tax brackets. It would avoid people turning down pay rises so they don't get stung for thousands of pounds by being "pushed into the next tax bracket".

WHy are they silly?

Plenty of people don't have any route to learning life skills that isn't school, why shouldn't school equip people to live life?

(In principle that is, in practice that's not what it's there for)

Schools should absolutely teach things like cooking, cleaning, budgetting, taxation and tax brackets, basic civics, etc etc etc

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

crispix posted:

i would have schemes for the children where they could learn proper real world skills like how to spend the whole evening in a pub and get away with not buying a round and how to get the maximum longevity out of a magic tree car air freshener and that

And that would also be more useful than quadratic equations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I think "there was some kind of terrible accident, and the parents panicked, knowing that they had been negligent, and like all lies it ended up getting far bigger and bigger as it had to cover itself" requires fewer assumptions or tidy narratives than any other case.

Doesn't even have to be sedatives involved, a child of that age can easily endanger themselves left unattended. Which is why you don't do that.

Pedos on the prowl is possible, but that sounds more like the 'shadows in the dark'/'malicious agent' convenient narrative than 'kid falls off chair' or something.

Either way, the thing i really want to know is where the impulse to constantly loving report on it comes from.

Like, is it the parents?
Is it the reporters?
Is it the editors?
Is it the paper owners?

It's for drat sure not the people doing the investigation, there's no way they're actually generating new information at this point.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wonder how many IoT things have poo poo the bed leaving people locked in/out, unable to change their thermostat, or even boil a kettle?

i wonder this, but entirely separately from today's fuckup.

Equally, it's not really in the interest of the people who have turned them into botnets or crypto mining rigs or whatever remotely for them to stop working, so I'd imagine they tend not to gently caress up randomly too much.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Borrovan posted:

Since I know there's other academics here, you can check Turnitin's status here

In fact, it's specifically in their interest to keep them working, unlike the actual service providers who dgaf

Crowdsource your tech support by opening .exe files from unknown e-mail addresses on your smart toaster #lifehacks

Crowdsource your RAID array for scientific data processing by sending them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

FWIW i don't recall being consulted about the UNITE thing, but I might have missed it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Sanford posted:

I used to post quite a lot about the FD at my old job and what an awful man he is. In February last year he dragged me into an office, told me off for "scaremongering" and told me it wasn't my place to tell other staff to wash their hands, or to decide off my own back to take extra precautions (using hand sanitizer, wiping down a shared desk before I used it). He said that Covid was going to be just like the Millennium Bug - a lot of fuss and wasted money and then literally nothing would happen. It was at this point I realised that he wasn't only a horrible man, but utterly, utterly stupid as well. At the meeting the day before lockdown was announced, when everyone was arguing for WFH except him and one other director, he yelled at me "[SANFORD] I AM NOT WASTING MY MONEY TO PREVENT YOUR PARENTS CATCHING A COLD."

On a somewhat related note at my new job I'm about to get fired for calling out a director, the head of service delivery, and the head of the dev team for repeatedly cracking 'jokes' about another member of staff being pregnant - because she'd been to the doctors. She is an apprentice in her first job, at least 40 years younger than the youngest of them, and he just had the loving gall to tell me if she didn't like it she could say so herself and didn't need me to step in. I said I don't like it and I will call it out if it happens again and he said "I don't like people who disagree with me" and hung up. Proper old-school bollocks and I'm mad as hell. I called it out in the softest loving fashion as well. Stupid old bastards.

Get your union involved ASAP, assuming you have one.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My gut tells me they jog on PDQ if Charlie gets a turn and interferes politically a bunch, they limp on for another monarch or two if he immediately abdicates and passes it to the 'younger' generation.

(The 'younger' generation is already 39)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

To follow on from Learning Curve above, someone crunched the numbers on the very visible Terfs.

https://twitter.com/HelenGradwell/status/1409070483673337856

Long story short, there appears to be roughly a thousand of them. A thousand very very vocal people but just a thousand.

In contrast theres over a million people with their pronouns in their bio.

There's only 600 MPs but they've still managed to ratfuck the country.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

the lesson from the corbyn years was just how inadequate and actively booby-trapped the labour party is as a vehicle of social change

we need a new party since I think thats possibly a hair more likely than actually being able to turn 2021 labour into a viable left wing electoral force but i also think thats very unlikely.
whats more likely to happen is the left just gets drawn back into some struggle over Labour when its burnham vs phillips over who gets to be leader of a pack of incompetents for the rest of my life

Only way to actually make it happen is to hive off the unions.

Keith might actually achieve that if we're lucky.

But like... worst timeline.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

there's a horrible smear campaign against Labour in Batley saying that

https://twitter.com/josiahmortimer/status/1409216843416485889?s=20

the party is committed to the BAME community and supports BLM

*gasp*

oh no not the briar patch anything but the briar patch

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

There definitely are good comics, but they're becoming less and less well known because good comics don't get booked on mainstream shows any more, only lovely melty ones at best.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The most dire 'comedian' I saw live was a woman at a science fiction convention evening show. She was Indian and her routine for the 10 minutes I stuck around was how much she loved Jewish cock and her small 'punani' (Hindu word for lady parts).

The audience seemed very uneasy - especially those with young kids in tow! - not sure whether to 'peer pressure' laugh or not. I walked out, followed by quite a few others. The white, 'woke', middle class trying to be non-racist dilemma - at what point are you being racist and at what point is the 'comedy' not only not funny but also bordering on offensive.

Many years ago I also walked out of Jerry Sadowitz because that was really not funny.

I very nearly walked out on Simon Amstell in Edinburgh - we bought tickets because he seemed funny on Buzzcocks, but it turns out that Phill Jupitus and Bill Bailey can make anyone funny and on his own Amstell did jokes about clowns sexually assaulting people which were not good.

Best comic I've seen at Edinburgh to this day was a guy called Ciamh MacDonnell, who was a free show. The free shows have been absolute gold sometimes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

You set long term projects which cost 100M with money you are projected to get, then the government says you're not getting it any more, but you can't cancel the projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I think there are elements of that but I also think that there is a lot of institutional inability to think long term.

I'm always reminded, when I think about this, of a story i saw in one of the papers when I first started noticing politics, probably in my early teens, when they were contracting for the replacement of British Rail - apparently someone tendered who had recently fixed I think the Swiss national system, and said that with a twenty year contract, they could completely fix the bulk of the problems, sort out many of the bridges and stations that are the wrong size, etc, and it would work out surprisingly cheap per year.

And got rejected because the contracts were five years.

No government wants to put in play twenty or fifty or a hundred year long large infrastructure (social or physical) projects because the initial costs are usually huge and cost you the next election, and the next government just kills the project anyway.

None of our resource distribution methods are designed for long term thinking.

Even when there;s a desire to, unlike the current government whose only desire is to wring as much cash out of the country as possible before and while it collapses.