Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier you fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Miftan you fucker, if it wasn't for this response I wouldn't have fallen into the trap either

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Chubby Henparty posted:

I miss having too much Thai. Back home you could go for a meal at a place with the Thai royal family's seal of approval, or a place offering a $5 bucket of peanut sauce chicken that would last three days. Tried to get The Lads into it here but it was apparently too weird can we just get a ('what? that's what they're called')

Had a Thai van outside at my house a few years ago that did about 3 meals worth of food for a fiver. Man, I really miss them.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Dabir posted:

Unironically Megaman Battle Network 6 is a really sick esport.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtWeNgtpDBo

This is amazing, I had no idea this existed. MMBN is one of my favourite game series of all time. Thanks for posting it!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

See one advantage of growing up in the middle of London was we avoided most of these terrifying PIFs and talks (although I too was one of those kids who watched them at silly o'clock waiting for the Wide Awake Club to start) - no pylons, no level crossings, and I guess they assumed as we were all far too filthy to have cleaning products under the sink we never even got warned about The Forbidden Lemonade.

Conversely we *did* get PC Rainbow of Thames Division (weird how a name like that sticks in your head, innit?) in about every three months to tell us that yet another kid had died swimming in the docks or the river and that we should probably just make our peace with God if we ever got within a hundred metres of anything bigger than a puddle. Also until 1984 we had at least two assemblies a year about what to do if the flood warning sirens went off and we weren't at school or home (get in any building taller than 2 stories and head up - as our school was only one floor I always wondered what the plan was if we were there).

Bold of you to assume there was a plan beyond "tick the box about the flood talk" twice a year.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

I wish I learned this fifteen or so years ago, because now I'm pretty worried it's the only genuine emotion I still have left

On the back of this, wanted to canvass the thread for opinions

My partner, my friend and I booked tickets for a small-ish festival at the end of August (We Out Here, if anyone cares). We booked it earlier in the year before Delta turned up to mulch everything, back when being vaccinated was still an excellent guarantee that we wouldn't get infected or sick. We got an email yesterday saying that we have until Saturday to decided whether or not we want to ask for a refund or roll over our tickets and accommodation for next year. Or we can sell our tickets on Sunday - no word as to whether there'll be other opportunities to sell. Everyone has to do a LFT before the festival and those who test positive are also allowed to roll their ticket over - no word as to whether accommodation will roll over as well.

I hate that I'm being asked to make this decision now, because it's too goddamn early to know whether or not it's going to be too dangerous to go at this stage. Sure, it looks like cases are levelling off, but given the extreme infectiousness of delta I simply don't believe that this is going to be a long term trend, and hospitalisations and deaths are going the wrong way and fairly quickly too.

On the one hand, they're clearly taking a lot of precautions - most things are outdoors, they're making big improvements to ventilation in tents and things, any enclosed tents are mandatory masks, the mentioned LFT requirement, etc. On the other, with delta it doesn't matter if you're outside or not anymore and it only takes less than a minute's contact to be infected, and breakthrough infections are not uncommon and vaccinated people are able to infect others. On the gripping hand, it looks like with Delta vaccine efficacy wanes after six months or so as antibodies disappear (perhaps because in the time it takes the innate immune system to spin up it is able to reproduce at 1260% speed compared to Alpha). Given that this probably means that Delta is never going to go away but circulate continually amongst the vaxxed and the unvaxxed, in some sense I might actually be safer now than I will be next year. Unless by the end of August Delta is surging hard, then it will clearly be completely insane to go to a festival. But then if it's that bad the organisers might pull the plug, but that only matters if I don't give up on going in three days time.

What would you do? I know none of us are fortune tellers and none of us know what's gonna happen in the next month or so. My gut instinct is "don't go to a loving festival you idiot", but also this is really the only thing I've had to look forward to all year and I'll be crushed if I say no and then it goes ahead and everything's fine. I dunno what to do.

And yeah, I know, first world problems, I do get that it's a very nice problem to have

Personally I'd rollover and try to do something fun with my partner instead so it's not a total disappointment. Plan a picnic or a fun movie night (or both, hell stretch it to the full weekend the festival was supposed to be!), but most importantly don't sit around bummed that you couldn't go.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

happyhippy posted:

It was real, I remember it too.
But I think the drugs were in a teddy bear, that he was asked to take with him through customs.

To be fair asking someone to take something with you to give to someone on the other side has been used to great effect A LOT of times to get drugs and/or bombs through airport security and/or customs.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Oh yeah, it used to be the thing. Wasn't it some Australia woman that got tricked into this and got jailed. Was big news back then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindawi_affair is the big one, I think.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I've never read the Dirk Gently books but I did absolutely love the show.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I was talking about the BBC one with the two blokes from Green Wing (Guy and the holistic healing bloke), I wasn't aware there even was another one.

With Elijah Wood. That's the only one I've seen and I really enjoyed it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

radmonger posted:

or the social constructs which lead to them making the decision to compete (and lose)as men remain.

The 'social construct' stopping them from doing that is the existence of gender, so I don't think that's going away any time soon. If by some stroke of luck we make it to a future that has absolutely no gender norms, we'll probably start separating sports into classes instead of segregating them by gender? I dunno, it's so far out of the sphere of possibility that I can't even imagine it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is it like a vegan sausage roll in that it's about the same or better but lower calorie and without an egg wash? We've got vegan cheese coming into it so not sure about that.

There are much better vegan cheeses available now, especially for melting, but usually not in the high end stuff. Morrison's own brand cheddar is very good for this, the only thing they've not replicated 100% is the stringy mess you sometimes get, but other than that it's really close. We use it for lasagnas.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Angrymog posted:

From a health perspective vegan cheese seems to be terribledelicious - all the protein in normal cheese is replaced with carbs.

Only seems to be delicious tbh, it's just fine most of the time.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Angrymog posted:

I'm sorry, I really don't understand the point you're trying to make with the edit.

Carbs are delicious.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Electrics sorted, الحمد لله
Turns out a fuse back in the switchroom before entering my flat had blown.
And no charge from Western Power :)

Glad to hear it got sorted quickly, these situations always stress me the gently caress out.

OwlFancier posted:

Hello thread please have this video from my lunch break.

https://i.imgur.com/Vh7DSiq.mp4

10/10 content

gently caress's sake. On this day in 1902 (yeah gently caress you I'm doing on this day, not numbers) Edward VII was crowned king of the UK. I've not done any research, but I think it's fair to assume he was a dickhead.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 9, 2021

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

House chat: the sellers were rushing us after the survey and something smelled a bit off so we dropped the offer by 10k. Turns out the bit in the survey that says "wall ties show evidence of rust and pointing needs redoing" was 3 weeks of work and about 8k pounds so the walls wouldn't collapse and stop letting rain inside (the walls were literally dripping inwards every time it rained beyond a light drizzle)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Depends on what way the blue tick battalions go, IMO - if they're as coordinated as I believe they'll keep shtum apart from TAO and the more true believer mob, but they've all spent all weekend decrying Loach as basically Leni Riefenstahl and it's gonna be a bit jarring if they don't meet this with the same reaction.

Only for people who pay attention. If nobody talks about the statement, nobody knows other than the left, so it won't be jarring because nobody will know about it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Shyrka posted:

Update on my leaky roof woes, apparently it's down to the chimney pointing being all hosed.

I saw the pictures, it is indeed hosed.

Unfortunately that's wear and tear and thus not covered by my insurance.

Probably a much easier and cheaper fix than big roof issues though! We had ours redone for the same reason, make sure you get them to check the blocking on top of it as well, since ours was cracked and even if the pointing is 100% it'll still get through a cracked top.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Refusing to recognize them as the government when they are materially governing the place seems like perfect angry dad energy.

Like yes they are poo poo but I don't think they are going to give the faintest poo poo whether keir starmer thinks they are allowed to be the government.

Not recognising someone as the legitimate government despite them governing is just a liberal excuse to justify military interventions in the future. "oh no, we'd never interfere in another countrys internal affairs and install a puppet government on our behalf - we're actually re-instating the ACTUAL (friendly to us) government!"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Anti-Derivative posted:

okay this is just stupid, and I'm pretty sure even the other people disagreeing with me would even recognise this as a massive false equivalency.

There are two tests for voting for someone: 1) do they have good policies (Labour under keith does not) and 2) do I believe they will actually follow through? (They will not, even if they had good policies, as evidenced by Starmer's 10 pledges during his leadership election). Starmer's policies are the same as the tories' but with a really stupid smile. Some small things might improve, or might not, because who knows if starmer will want to appear tough on benefits or some poo poo like that.

Anti-Derivative posted:

People felt the same about Donald Trump. "Clinton is a weak centrist and will poison the people to the left for generations!" "Trump will be so bad as to turn the people to REAL CHANGE".
They got Joe Biden (and just barely scraped him in at that) and the suffering and horror begotten by 5 years of Trump.

There's a cost to the time you cede to the Tories, and I do not think that cost is worth the benefit of getting to try and roll 20s for a future great leader.

Also - I'm not sure a lovely centrist government would *actually* poison the people to a future change anyways, so even the value you assign to the dice is a thing writ in water.

Joe Biden's only substantial difference from Trump is that he's not a grotesque caricature of american excess - their international policies (kids in cages, america first, healthcare, economy etc.) are essentially the same with the only difference being the american culture war stuff (abortions, trans rights, etc.) and even then Biden's democrats love paying lip service, and don't make things substantially worse, but they sure as hell aren't improving them either. This isn't as big an issue in the UK atm because the culture war isn't as pronounced as in the US. I don't believe that starmer's labour will be substantially better for trans people, for example, but their policies on the economy/healthcare/foreign affairs is still basically the same.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Think outside of the box Big Cracker has trapped you in - the answer is one giant cracker.

A Wheat Thin the size of Lake Tahoe (pardon the Sorkinism)

I will never pardon any Sorkinisms. Hand in your card.

Anti-Derivative posted:

Especially in a landscape where those with money and power are increasingly obtaining more levers to retain and ensure that power is never lost, even if a future third option one day becomes viable (Cambridge Analytica, Protest Bill).

lol and you think a right wing labour government will change that in any way???

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

I've transcended the point where I have to deny my history as a young lib-brained moron who liked Sorkin stuff.

Actually I still think the first couple of seasons of TWW are good TV, it just doesn't bear any relationship to political reality and probably had a dumbening effect on the political discourse, but whatever

Mate I willingly joined the IDF when I was 18, so glass houses and all that :v:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Anti-Derivative posted:

who knows. They opposed both those things though, whilst the other party actually used/tabled them.

If you think they opposed those things on some sort of principal and not because 'it's not fair when the tories do it, but we totally would if we could get away with it' then I've got a bridge to NI to sell you

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Anti-Derivative posted:

I definitely think there are lots in the party who would oppose those things on principle. There will also be machiavellians who would argue that they should be used, of course, but the difference is that nearly all the Tories would fall into the latter group.

and i think you're severely underestimating how many people in labour are on the good side of that equation. If nothing else, the "machiavellians" are definitely the people in charge and are doing their best to purge anyone who doesn't agree with them.

Also thanks for the principle correction, english isn't my first language and despite living here for almost a decade at this point I still get stuff like that mixed up sometimes. Now I'm just terrible at 2 languages instead of being good at either :v:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Borrovan posted:

I remember knocking on a door in 2015 & the bloke saying he'd definitely be voting for Corbyn because Theresa May won't even bring back hanging for treason something something Brexit. Quickly noted him down as "for" and backed slowly away.

Pretty impressive of that bloke to name drop both Corbyn and May before they were leaders of their party :v:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Borrovan posted:

What all of youse weren't pre-emptively canvassing people on the hypothetical assumption of what might happen 2 years later??

I suppose technically Corbyn got elected in 2015 and you didn't specify you were doing it for the GE so half your story checks out.

e: ON THIS DAY in 1904 Australia gets its first ever labour government.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 18, 2021

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Dabir posted:

Hypothetical situation 1: You're walking down the street when two demons with stupid haircuts materialise in front of you.

"Alright, you mimmering wimbuggler!" chortles the first one, who seems to be really enjoying himself. "You've got to choose one of us. And if you pick me, I'll break your arms, then your legs!"

The second one looks apologetic and burbles "While regrettable, I recognise damage to the limbs of the unfortunate souls before whom we materialise is a necessity and must go ahead and therefore I promise to you that if you choose me, I will only break your arms before re-evaluating the necessity of breaking your legs."

In this situation, it is appropriate to pick the second demon.

Hypothetical situation 2: You, having consulted the ancient grimoires and heard the stories of those to whom this has happened before, are aware of the five-yearly appearances of the vicious Leg-Breaking Arm-Breaking Demon, Bohrs's, and his attendant lackey, Khy-arhh, who has pledged loyalty to the breaking of arms but expresses no opinion on the breaking of legs. You have also learned that it is possible, with significant effort, to assemble a weapon that might destroy both. Regardless, you resolve to simply pick Khy-arhh, as he has not said he will break your legs. In this situation, you are a loving clown.

These Paglicacci memes are getting out of hand.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Thinking out loud here but Afghanistan has got me thinking about some of the limitations of anti-imperialist thinking. What do you do when a group like the Taliban takes over a country? or ISIS? Or whatever other fundamentalist religious/ethno-nationalist group that, when in power, is going to do a huge amount of harm to the people in that country? You can argue that Western intervention directly led to support for these organisations, sure, but once you're down to brass tacks how do you respond? Invading Afghanistan was poo poo and caused a whole heap of suffering, but then leaving it alone would have left the Taliban in charge, which may have made for a more stable country but still one governed according to rules that could see you beheaded or stoned for minor infringements of religious law, and therefore also a lot of suffering. I'm aware that the reasons for the occupation of Afghanistan were political, not ideological, because in practice the Taliban probably, once the irons have cooled, aren't meaningfully going to be any more lovely in government than the Saudis - who play ball - are today, and like the Saudis will learn to make small compromises towards Westerners and put a shiny veneer over their brutality. Nonetheless, the occupation itself was undoubtedly a bad thing, and the violence employed towards civilians during it was horrific, but unseating the Taliban - as an isolated thing in itself - was surely a good thing? I don't think the projection of power to regime change these kinds of essentially fascistic governments is a bad thing, though is it possible to do that without doing an imperialism? Would it be imperialism if the occupation had been used to materially benefit, rather than exploit, the Afghan population?

Do we not have a moral duty to stand against that kind of far-right nonsense? How do we do it without employing the naked power of imperialist projection? Had the discourse been where it is today in the 1930s and 1940s would the 'left' have argued, even in the knowledge of Nazi atrocities (poetic license here, because I know our civilian society often wasn't), that invading and occupying Germany was unethical? No answers here but just thoughts rattling around in my head.

tldr: I'm pro-occupation of Afghanistan but only if it's the 1980s :ussr: (I think, my head hurts)

A lot has been covered upthread, but since there are no communist/anarchist nations that are capable of projecting force like this, I will say that if liberal democracies want to intervene in other countrys' business because they're ruled by insanely brutal rules you have to do 2 things:

1) make sure there is an actual resistance. If people think that's the only/correct way to live (for example due to religious indoctrination) then you just can't fix it. You need local support
2) commit to investing at least double what you put into tanks/guns/etc. into reconstruction. A lot of recent invasions just blew up entire countries and then left them to fend for themselves. You need to rebuild them and put some locals in charge asap so it's a legitimate rule and not an occupying force running everything (and rebuild not in the corrupt bullshit way they did in Iraq by painting the same hospital 50 times to justify their 'reconstruction spending', though I have no idea how/if liberal democracies are even capable of infrastructure spending without corruption at this point, let alone abroad!)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Ama: air fryers.

I bought a ninja air fryer max 2 years ago, it paid for itself a year ago and it’s awesome at everything but chips, which isn’t a surprise because oven chips suck. Great at frozen roast potatoes though, cos you can air fry your joint and then cook them while it rests.

Putting your air fryer on too long without a bit of oil will gently caress up your non stick coating

Put a 1kg gammon joint on tin foil and coat it in marmalade, wrap it up, cook for 20 mins on 200. Unwrap so your foil makes a boat and collects the liquid. Cook at 200 for 15 mins.

Air fryers suck for oven chips, but every time I've chopped up a potato and put it in there it's come out better than any oven chip I've ever had.

Editor's note: this only work for chunky chips, please do not attempt skinny fries in this or any other way.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Pretty sure vegetarianism is <40% so that raises some further questions

It's a stupid question, since those dogs are unlikely to be murdered by their Taliban along with their families, so even if you think animals lives are equivalent to human lives in abstract, the correct course of action there was to get the people out first.

The other part is lots of people care about animals until it comes to food, basically

Bobstar posted:

Well obviously that question was asking about animals (cute) not animals (food)

(Lionel Hutz meme here)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Bees are definitely exploited in commercial honey production, the poor fuckers work all summer and then the product of their labour is taken and replaced with inferior sugar water to keep a bare minimum of them alive through the winter.

Slightly better is the practice of only taking the "excess" honey that remains in the hive by springtime.

And there's a bunch of weird poo poo around clipping queen's wings to stop her flying off to start a new colony etc. It's definitely not "we just take the excess honey that bees don't need or want, we're doing them a favour really!" as it's portrayed, but it's nowhere near as awful as basically every meat/dairy production bullshit.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

They are going to make the cats do prayers I've seen photographs.

You just position the prayer mat so that it's in sunlight and the cats will do the rest themselves.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Angrymog posted:

What I saw when on holiday is Jordan is that you'd only see dogs minding the herds of goats. In Petra there were cats all over the place - they didn't seem to be anyone's cats, but they weren't being mistreated either - the locals seemed quite happy to have the cats just wandering around their stalls, and the cats knew the gig with chatting up tourists for snacks.

In contrast, one of the few times I remember seeing a stray cat in Goa, it was a kitten that my classmates (we were all around 4-5) were trying to kick to death. I saved the poor little thing, and he lived a long and happy life with us.

Stray cats are just a fact of life in a lot of places in the middle east. They're everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

On the subject of money though. I'm in the very privileged position of having increased income while still living like the cheap bum I have for the past 20 odd years. So I'd like to put some of that excess towards some charitable causes.

Can the thread recommend some good charities to me please? Maybe something for animals and another for maybe the unhoused as we have been recently discussing them. I'd prefer something where I felt my money was making a difference instead of paying for slick adverts.

Doctors without borders, Syrian American Medical Society are both good ones as far as I know.

You can also use this website if you're a Numbers Fuckstein kinda person.

The UKMT solidarity fund is always a good shout, and really help some really nice goons.

Last, I would always recommend finding something local. Depending on where you are, try seeing if there are any animal rescue farms or anything of the sort near you.