Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

stev posted:

Twitter is abuzz today with this perfect London class divide microcosm. People who don't own the handful of multimillion pound penthouses (and merely rent or own 'affordable' units costing a mere £700k) in these blocks have to look out of their windows and watch the super rich splash about on a giant platform made of hubris. I hear it's unsinkable.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1399678383727034369?s=19

Welcome to London, 47.

And yup, another for the "told to march around handing out paper CVs from a parent who hasn't had to job hunt for 30-odd years". Except the kicker is it was my dad telling me to do that, a man who had to be forced by my mother to apply for a job literally cleaning toilets in the early 80s, and stayed in the same employer until the present day where he's now a manager for almost all of southwest Scotland.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Round buying is for pints only, and none of the fancy poo poo either. Once spirits start getting involved, it throws the balance off.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Edmonds in particular going after Health & Safety is even better when you remember his career almost ended because a guy died on a show he was hosting because they cut corners.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

See also the inherent racism in the press insisting that the MET go over and sort it out, because the foreigns could not possibly have a police force on par with (or better than) ours.

The idea that the Portuguese police were "incompetent" largely came from their idea that the negligent parents who were the last people to see Madeleine should at least be considered as suspects. Seriously, that was the justification for bringing the Met in.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

From what I've heard, the Cuban vaccine works just as comparably well as everyone else's. Because of course it does, Cuban healthcare is a loving miracle.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Getting my head kicked in by my family.
Am I the only person who thinks making contingency plans (even if you don't end up using them in the event of whatever the contingency is) is sensible and not 'wishing the bad thing' into existence?

No more than wearing a seatbelt is "wishing a car crash into existence".

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Since we can do basically any style now that our materials are so good, I've spun the wheel, and the UK will be rebuilt in the style of...gothic revival. Since we're already getting all the shite parts of living in Warhammer 40k, we might as well nail the aesthetic too.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Why can't all military history be this interesting?

There should be a military history podcast which is just dunking on dumb battles. Hell of a way to die is kind of like this but it tends to be more focused on minutiae and gear.

If you want some truly shamefully stupid military history, The Battle of May Island is way up there.

The Battle of May Island: There Is Always More And It Is Always Dumber.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Han Dodges in a position as power will firmly move us into the second half of "First as tragedy".

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Baddiel will also block you immediately on twitter any time you ask him about that time he performed in blackface.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Bobstar posted:

Also I have realised that my Youtube list is almost all men and 100% white, so any tips on people who aren't those things, who have interesting things to say in video form, gratefully received!

If you like horror movies, Nyx Fears is a great youtuber on that whole subject. Funny as hell too.

As for Spaced, the universal algorithm/jaffa cakes gag is maybe the single greatest sitcom joke of all time.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

nurmie posted:

i think we're overdue for a surge in nostalgic takes on mid-2000s

There's a nu-metal and third-wave emo revival going on right now, along with hyperpop, which is all very early 00s aesthetics.

So the mid-00s nostalgia is coming on quick.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Likewise, everyone should try to go to at least one metal show in their life. A proper mosh is life affirming.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Bobstar posted:

Best opera is the execution scene in Tosca, as performed in Hitman Blood Money, in which the target, who is playing a character who thinks he's being shot with blanks but they actually use real bullets, thinks he's being shot with blanks but you can swap in a gun with real bullets.

And on the subject of opera in Hitman, it took on Schubert's Ave Maria as a theme for the entire series purely off the back of Blood Money's ending using it so perfectly.

And Pavarotti sung it loving incredibly, as you'd expect.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Have Rammstein win it for the comedy value.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Hell, "Do Unto Others" is meant to be one of the core tenets of Christianity.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The easiest way to "get" country music is to listen to Hank Williams' "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" at the right moment. Whole genre makes sense if you time it right.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Serious note though, turning the Fens back into wetlands would sequester a lot of carbon over a long term. You could do more than a thousand high tech carbon capture projects just by reversing the drainage. That might annoy some landowners though, and allow the Bargees back.

Time for the true future: The Coracle Future.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I have a debit card and a current account with zero overdraft.

I've been offered a credit card but I have no course to use one and the less things that can possibly come back in the future to sting me, the better.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Fun fact: Target shooting at the Olympics became gender segregated specifically because one woman got too good at it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

At my school in the west of Scotland, "no football colours" was in effect for PE and it was never a problem.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

Now imagine Emma Raducanu also manages to win Wimbledon...

Sounds too foreign and is a woman.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The Pot Noodle is the food of the true proletariat. The Bombay Bad Boy especially.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

As a noodle connoisseur, shin ramyun is a solid pick. Indomie Mie Goreng is also a classic.

Samyang spicy noodles are VERY spicy but they're also loving delicious.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I do my best to try to forget about him, I don't want to remind others of him. Unlike Terry Boy, I want more people to remember Kaientai/Kaientai DX members. Especially the 10 man tag with Kaientai DX vs Hamada, Naniwa, Tiger Mask, Super Delfin & the 5h guy I can never remember.

Masato Yakushiji, notable in that match for dressing like a poo poo Christmas elf.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Never trust a skinny chef or a healthy doctor. :colbert:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I went to the cinema for the first time in a year and a half on Wednesday and I swear to god the cinema was enforcing masks and hand sanitiser harder than the vaccination center I went to.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

When I learned to drive and it was snowing one day my instructor told me to do skids at the back of the supermarket car park so I would know what to watch out for.

Remember folks, "pump the brakes during a skid" is old deprecated advice from before ABS was in most cars, the current advice is to just steer toward the skid and, if you're in a manual, depress the clutch :eng101:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

If your spider-limbed monster 6 year old can reach the steering wheel from the back seat, where they should be if you're on a public road, you have bigger, possibly demonic problems on your hands.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Hell don’t touch the brakes at all. The last thing you want to do during a skid is to transfer the weight to the front suddenly.

Oh yeah, I should have been more clear, the only pedal you should even think about during a skid is the clutch if you're in a manual. Otherwise, feet off the pedals, steer toward the skid smoothly, don't jerk the wheel.

Basically, as with essentially all situations like this, key is to not panic.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Being fair if it was a lada you very probably would not have been able to make it go if you had wanted to :v:

I am now morbidly curious what the argument for grooves down is because I always assumed they were just for aesthetics/traction?

Grooves down is actually how the manufacturers usually recommend they be installed. I have no idea why, mind.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

SCP-1966 "Perpetual Football"

As with all good things in this world, Jon Bois has created something about this concept too, 17776. Which is loving phenomenal.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

happyhippy posted:

The +4 stacks if you've had more than one.

World Cup final of Vietnam vs Syria is absolutely a good thing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

A hot towel shave at the Turkish barbers is one of my little joys. Just leaves me feeling so clean afterwards.

Like, no matter how close you think you can shave yourself, it's nothing compared to what they can do with a hot towel and a cutthroat razor.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The only concession I've made to any kind of reopening is starting to go to the cinema again, and even then, only going midweek afternoons so it's just me and 2 or 3 pensioners I can at least outrun in any given screen.

And even then, I'm doublemasking and avoiding everyone like I'm the boy in the bubble.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So we had a powercut last night, had someone to come look at what was wrong and it apparently needed someone to come dig the pavement up today, the house is running on a generator they provided when they arrived at around 10 this morning, but after digging the holes and working for a bit, they've spent the time since about 2 this afternoon just sitting in the van.

Does anyone have any idea of how long something like this might take?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

I should have known better. I watch F1 and the sponsors are all products that don't exist or do anything.

And if they do exist, they produce oil or cigarettes.

My favourite example is Mission Winnow's website which is entirely made of corporate speak without actually saying what they do (they're a shell company owned by Phillip Morris to get around the rules regarding advertising tobacco)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Borrovan posted:

Luckily the policy was made by an Actual Expert, basically what does & does not confer an advantage is poorly understood, save that AMAB athletes are likely to be bigger & testosterone probably has some advantage (but probably far less than people make out), so there's absolutely no basis to exclude trans female athletes who have had normal female t-levels for a while in any sport with weight categories (& in other sports we don't see the need to exclude tall strong women anyway so why treat trans women differently?).

Basically there's no evidence that there's any kind of problem (& frankly the reasons for segregating sports by gender can be wooly at times anyway), so why would you err on the side of excluding trans women without any evidence?

Hell, the policing of t-levels has actually overstepped the mark pretty often and has caused cis women to fall foul of the restrictions more than once (also exclusively black women, because the IOC is also obviously heinously racist).

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Oh my god do we have a real Elon Guy in the thread? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No, it doesn't. The euro ncap test in its current form only started in 2020, they havent even tested the model 3 against this standard, but if they did it would outperform your own vehicle. You can't conpare euro ncap tests between years, it says that on their site. They are kind of crap.

You are Elon Musk AICMFP.

(e): New page, so have a pic of my precious baby.