Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bobstar posted:

Ah you beat me to it. I'm in Mumbai right now about to blow somebody off a roof with a large fan.

After that I might play video games :v:

If you do that, the method recorded for their death will be Wind*.

*= Also that one particular target in that level was one with whom I was so happy to kill.

Like they weren't objectively the most evil target you had (that would be Janus or the two targets in the riots in Marekesh) or had the most satisfying setup (that would be Miami or the house in New Zealand) but that Bollywood director was so awful. Between him bragging about bribing a football team, having a tower built so he could lord it up over the poor, him creeping on all the female actors and the fact that he got a famous artist to paint his portrait and would pay him with experience and not money, I couldn't wait to murder him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

One time before the Pandemic I was over in Glasgow having a burger in Bread Meats Bread. There were two very young/very trendy London types in the table next to me having lunch.
I could tell they were from London because they were talking about how much they missed London and hated having to be in Glasgow as part of "the tour." (From the context I think it was something to do with the theatre and their work.)
They then started talking about "Irn Bru" how awful it was, and why was it in all the cocktails in the bars?
Despite this being a very busy place, they were definitely speaking loudly enough to be easily overheard by all the patrons.

I'd say they were at risk of turning Glasgow into a No-Go area, but a different sort of No-Go area than the Daily Mail imagines.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So to play Devil’s Advocate a bit in relation to the McCann’s case. When it comes to the tragedy of a child’s death, there is a yearning for it to make sense. For there to be some explanation, even if that explanation is horrific.

So the idea that “the parents were sedating their children so they could go out on the lash every night and they accidentally killed their child by getting the dose wrong. And then they panicked, hid the body, came up with a story about how she was missing and now are suddenly in too deep to ever confess and have to keep the lie going indefinitely” is appealing to this strange part of our brains, because it imposes logic onto a tragic event.
It makes more sense than “there was a paedophile in the area, he just happened to spot a child un-attended and struck.” The reason we prefer it (I think) is because our brains want it to be “there is a secret pattern to all this that we can study and premptily stop this from happening again” as opposed to “weird, really bad things sometimes happen. No moral.”

Like I know the idea that there just so happens to be a paedophile in operation unoticed in the area seems far fetched, except if you watch any amount of True Crime stories you see serial offenders can and do operate for years before being caught.

Now don’t take any of this as being a full throated defence of the McCanns. Even by their own admissions, they were appallingly negligent in looking after their children. It’s just that my mind has switched from “this was a cover-up, they did it.” To “Awful Occam’s Razor strike again.”

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Juche Couture posted:

https://twitter.com/zarahsultana/status/1401992467017252865?s=21

Even compared to the company she keeps, Priti Patel really is spectacularly vile

If it's any consolation, her vindictiveness' may come back to bite her. Again.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/extinction-rebellion-protest-priti-patel-printworks-b1861106.html

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

therattle posted:

It won’t make much difference, sadly, other than perhaps result in acquittals. She would have made a splendid Nazi.

While it won't harm her career, there is a certain satisfaction to be gained from watching people be aquited because she couldn't keep her mouth shut.

Like the time that marine got a reduced sentence for deserting because Trump said he should have been shot and the judge said he had to push back against that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's paywalled and as it's the Indy it's not even worth the effort of working round that - what do they claim the problem is? The Home Secretary is responsible for policing - as long as they don't have her on record giving ordering them to do illegal things then there's not any actual legal problem, surely?

Strange it wasn't paywalled when I read it yesterday.

Long and short of the article is the Crown were claiming that there was little to no contact between the Home Secretary and the police dealing with the protests.

It transpires that there was (on the face of it) lots of communication but what was said isn't relevant to the trial.
The judge ruled "it seems like it is quite relevant and should be disclosed to the defence."
What I suspect the next stage will be seeing records where Priti Patel told the Inspector to personally go down there and crack the skulls of all the protesters involved and the Crown will argue that she didn't mean that literally so it's fine.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

bessantj posted:

If someone were to say "I don't think climate change is real because a lot of leftists think it is." or "I don't think COVID-19 came from a lab because Nigel Farage said it did." Is that a logical fallacy? Which one would you consider it to be. I was think Appeal to Spite, but I'm not sure that fits.

Reading this post about argument decorum just reminded me of this tweet I saw yesterday.

https://twitter.com/JustinWhang/status/1402684879104512001?s=20

(Bonus points is that fellow Goon Slowbeef is one of the top replies to it.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

crispix posted:

did he say something else because he's just talking about northern ireland in this :confused:

I don't even know where to begin with all the things wrong with what he's saying.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Its a shame about Stobart.
After Glasgow Prestwick closed a few years ago, I had to rely on flying Stobart Air to get over to Glasgow.
By the time I'm vaccinated and able to go to Glasgow again, the country will probably be out of business.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

It's apparently got less passengers through it per year than Inverness Airport which is quite funny (coz Inverness is almost exclusively domestic flights. Last I checked the only international destinations were Mallorca & Amsterdam, & Mallorca is seasonal). It's definitely a shadow of what it was once & I'm pretty sure yeah, the only passenger airline that flies from there at the moment is Ryanair. To be fair, even if you're in Ayr it's not that much of a rigmarole to get to Glasgow Airport, just jump on the Glasgow train to Paisley & get the bus.

But it does still exist, barely.

There used to be a Dublin to Prestwick route that ran from Ryanair, but that closed a number of years ago.

From memory, there was only a couple of routes that fly there even when Dublin used to fly in. (I think one from Warsaw to Prestwick was still in operation and that was a Ryanair one.)
I honestly think that by this stage they have stopped doing passanger flights and only use it as a trade airport.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

This is probably all I need to see about GB News.

https://twitter.com/GerryMcBride/status/1404168279485300736?s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I definitely remember reading a few facebook posts from perhaps dumber/less cynical people I went to school with essentially saying 'just stay in for a month and if we all do that we'll be through it in time to have wild beer garden weather in the summer (of 2020) and it's going to be a crazy party' lol

I remember a friend from college saying on Facebook in March/April 2020 that our (Ireland's) approach was wrong and we should do what they were doing in England/Sweden and just let everyone get the virus, we'll all develop herd immunity and be sorted out by the Summer.

I said that even if you ignore all the deaths, we had no way of knowing if the virus might mutate and make that plan pointless. His last word on the subject was that if you were worried about mutations, then no vaccine would ever work.

It was at that stage I figured that lots of people were arguing about this subject but not everyone was doing it from the same level of understanding of the issues and just left.

I think history will bear out all my choices.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

What if Piers Morgan is covering for secretly being a master journalist by publicly being a raging idiot so that nobody suspects?

What if they're all doing that?

Has Piers gone deep undercover to infiltrate an International gang of idiots?

Or is it this tweet made form?

https://twitter.com/ben_rosen/status/1404534096462708737?s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

Big cat food recall. Let your cat-owning friends know:

https://twitter.com/holly/status/1405160932779700226?s=20

Man that is bad news.

Luckily I had never heard of any of those brands of Cat Food before today.
Except for Applaws which I saw in the Range on Monday. I even debated about buying it for my mum's cat as he is super fussy over food. I'm glad I didn't.

Stay safe cat people.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Does anyone have any good news sources for Northern Ireland? I understand from Twitter shitposts that the new leader of the DUP has immediately split his party but can't find any actual news sources for it so I can understand what's going on.

Sure, here you go.

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1405596318781919235?s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The Perfect Element posted:

The micro USB port on my s7 is hosed (cables just fall out if I don't position the phone and cable to within a millionth of a millimetre of the right position , as the port I think has been eroded after years of sleepily trying to plug the jack in the wrong way. Micro USB sucks so much) . I've owned this phone for like... 6 years now, and other than the charging it still works perfectly.

I really don't wanna upgrade, because it seems so wasteful when this phone does literally everything I need it to. Other than recharge.

Does the thread hive mind have any suggestions about what I could do? It doesn't seem like an easy fix.

My DAB Radio Alarm Clock stopped working when they switched off the DAB frequency in Ireland this March. (The clock relied on getting a DAB station to set the time. It still worked perfectly as an FM radio, you just couldn't set the time.)

So I got this new Radio Alarm Clock. But I mostly just use it as a Wireless Charge pad.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NGZ5K12/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_YR9M18EDFK177KCBMS27?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I'm sure it's been mentioned but rewatching The World's End now it really feels like a film about Brexit.

I still have good memories of the film, since my wife and I watched it together on our Mini-moon post wedding.

Though I do recall at one stage the film was going to be called Dave of the Triffids which might have made for a better film.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I think I got real mad at worlds end because I didn't understand why the aliens were such lovely imperialists that they didn't want to leave us alone. Most of the planet could have continued fairly well from the mid 80's onwards just on "current" technical improvements, which is when they made their presence known and everything they did was just cruel and lovely for no good reason.

Again, it plays into the Brexit narrative.

What have these distant Leader types ever done for us? Things were better when we were kids. Leave us alone and let us make our own decisions!

But we are hardwired into every aspect of your society, leaving will have terrible consequences.

Leave Now!

(Que end Apocalypse scene.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

Extra time, penalties, Italy win.

This was, hands down the best gag in the very funny Dreamworks animated kids film, Flushed Away.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

sebzilla posted:

The team are very much a good bunch of lads.

A small but significant number of "supporters" are cunts.

However the same is true of basically any sufficiently large group of people, and it's no reason to wish professional disappointment on the team who are, as discussed, a good bunch of lads, or the vast majority of football fans who are very capable of watching a game without smashing up a town centre.

I imagine that there are lots of people who are fans of "The Great British Bake-off", Call of Duty or Marvel movies.
But they don't wreck cities before and after the show is aired.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

sebzilla posted:

There are lots of football fans who don't wreck cities either. 31 million people watched the penalty shootout last night and the overwhelming majority of them went home to bed without a fuss.

Yes I agree that being a football fan doesn't mean you are predisposed to violence.

But you said that if you get any significant number of people together, you would get the same results as what happened last night.

I'm saying that the only time you do get situations like what happened in London are when you have very specific groups togher like MAGA Chuds or Philadelphia sports fans.

Trashing cities is not normal fan behaviour. It's not some inevitability if you get X number of fans of any past time together.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

crispix posted:

they should give me a PR job talking to the fans on their level, i could give a talk at half time and i would be like LISTEN UP, dip-sticks!!!!!! put your rubbish in the bin where it belongs, and in the bin is also where racism belongs!!!!! :cool:, like that

Crispix. He can get results.

See how his "Listen Up!" Method works on Irish football fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Q0u9Vc6EY

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So in other news (or maybe just news that wasn't being covered on British media/social media. I couldn't find it on the Independent website.) the UK Government have announced that there is to be no prosecutions for any crimes in the Troubles.

UK Government announces statute of limitations on Troubles prosecutions, including British Army soldiers https://jrnl.ie/5495105

As you'd expect, the Right Wing press are covering this in a fair and balanced manner.

https://twitter.com/PatrickFreyne1/status/1415345692789428230?s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

It's like a Reverse Milk Shake Duck.

"GB News retreats to inform you that one of It's presenters isn't enough of a racist."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

feedmegin posted:

They aren't a TV channel. That was the original plan and they dropped it lol

Edit: 203mm was a Soviet howitzer

GB News is definitely a TV channel. I was helping my mum retune her FreeSat box and one of the channels that came up on the Auto tune was GB News.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Man this mRNA stuff sounds like it could do lots of good in the future?

Is it a game changing bio technology that is just being deployed on Covid because of hiw serious things have gotten or what?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Convex posted:

Better get these queued up for the news tomorrow evening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwxjYFqP35A

It's missing the best announcer quote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1fUwKMdAI

(You got it by going into settings and putting all the display options to the highest setting.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Mebh posted:

Presumably 90 percent of the data harvested are cat pics.

Reading the story about the Phone Malware just reminded me of the TV show “Person of Interest.”

The main character in that designed something a software program that worked like this malware. Including it working without having to interact with the other persons phone. (I think it was built around actual real world problems with phones back then of being able to forcibly pair phones to bluetooth devices as an exploit.)

Crazy how life imitates art.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm watching Person of Interest at the moment and my god the main character is a dull sack of potatoes

But the show is interesting enough for me to persist. Just started s02 where I understand it (but not the main character, sadly) gets a lot more interesting.

After my brother told me his fan theory, I found the main character Jim Caviezal much more interesting.

Basically after a traumatic childhood, John took his father's name and joined the military to gain the training he would need in life.
After being approached by Harold Finch, John agrees to join this outfit because he needs to keep a very close eye on this growing AI for fear of what it will become.

The main character is a post Terminator 2 John Connor.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

I remember the distorted story being used by literally every company owner I have worked for as an excuse for not implementing some health and safety measure.

It's also a good example of what happens when Accountants make decisions.

It was cheaper to hire an expensive PR firm to rewrite the narrative than it would be to make changes.

Just like how the Ford Pinto was known to be a death trap. But the money men worked out it was cheaper to let people die and settle the cases than it would have been to do a full recall.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

josh04 posted:

Number cloning is apparently ridiculously easy and the current trend in spam calling is to pretend to be numbers similar to the one you're dialing so people will pick up out of curiosity or something? Either way it means getting spam calls from numbers like yours and also getting angry return calls from people who have been rung from your cloned number.

There has been a huge surge in it in Ireland over the last few weeks. All the calls being a recorded message saying that the guards are coming to investigate you for welfare fraud*.

This was of particular annoyance as my job required me to answer phone calls from numbers I don't always recognise.

*= The other big one is phising texts being sent using the same name as one of the countries major banks.
If you aren't a customer of that bank, it's laughably easy to ignore.
But if you are a customer of that bank, it looks identical to the service they use to send you messages and activation codes.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How was the film? It's on round here next week.

Person of Interest chat:

I love love love it :) when I see the actor who plays Harold Finch in other things (often a psycho-baddy) I'm like 'now now Harold'.

My favourite thing about Harold was how his on-screen love interest was played by his real world wife.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

He tried to do that vain latin oneupmanship thing on a previous Taoiseach or Irish President who had done Latin & Greek at Trinity College Dublin (i wish to hell i remembered who it was), Boris was put in his place at the end of it.

The guy he did it with is Leo Varadkar*.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-30949627.html

It's probably why Unionists keep putting up graffiti saying they will kill Leo.

*= Leopold Varadkar invented the VAR, a device designed to catch offside rules violation missed by referees, while attempting to invent a machine that would catch welfare cheats.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

feedmegin posted:

The letter I got from them wasn't 'your car' it was 'permitting someone to park there', though.

I mean, between the note in the window pointing out the council says dont park here and the cones and the photographs of the notes I've left on his windshield, I would hope I could prove I'm not permitting a drat thing, but I would really like this guy to just loving stop it so I don't have to worry about it, y'know?

I guess the other alternative is to move house, which given my landlord keeps trying to turn this place into an HMO so he can pack 10 eastern european dudes into it may happen at some point anyway.

Pretty much this.
The offence you are being charged with is allowing your land to be parked on. The defence that you have to show is that you are not allowing this to happen and that you have been making attempts to prevent this from happening. The fact that you haven't failed to get this dickhead to stop parking on your property* is irrelevant.
Your letters and photographs and cones are all proof that you aren't allowing him to do so. You could escalate it by putting cones on the spot and then video him (even from your window, no need to go outside.) parking and removing said cones. All while narrating to the camera that he is doing this without your permission.

Another option is check out the guys car after he's gone. It's a gamble, but if this guy ignores parking regulation, his Insurance/Road Tax might be out of date. If it is, you can absolutely call the police on him for that.

* = The fact that it's not your property is very much also a defense, but we can focus on one issue at a time.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

"As a senior staff writing this I have decided that I am actually receiving the right amount of pay for the job I do, so that is why I cannot take a pay cut and you have to take redundancy."

“Could we do this job without senior people like me running the party?
Of course not. I think it would make the party unworkable and Labour would have to fold.

That is why we have to cut most of rank and file staff. That will only probably make the party unworkable and then it would fold.”

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Seems appropriate to post this.

https://twitter.com/richardosman/status/1417405231273480192?s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Bobstar posted:

What's the deal at the UK border these days? Has it been turned from

UK & EU / Rest of World

into

UK & Ireland / Rest of World

?

And if so do EU people with settled status have to queue in the massive line of interrogation and threats?

I was looking into this the other day as part of a visit to Scotland for after I'm vaccinated.
The UK's rules in Quarantine and Green/Amber/Red countries specifically say that Ireland is exempt from all that and you are just allowed in.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Remembering fondly when Priti Patel and that other Tory waste who's a descendant of Lord Trevelyan were threatening to "starve out" ireland as part of Brexit negotiations, unaware that we produce 14x as much food as we need to sustain ourselves.

Wow, really. Like, I don't even....
Why do we treat Tory Governments as being legitimate on a world stage when it comes to Irish issues?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

jaete posted:

You do?

Yeah... why?

I mean I personally don't.
And I understand that geopolitics under a Liberal system means you have to treat other actors as equals, even if they are just Militias that have managed to seize power and declared themselves Governments.
And it sets a dangerous precident to just refuse to accept other nations as being illegitimate.
But after the last few years things like the current situation in Poland or Hungary or even the Trump Whitehouse or the current Tory government should really raise the question
"Why are we talking to these people as if they are a legitimate Government? They are a bunch of loving clowns."

Anyway to pay the picture tax, I sometimes walk past this place when I walk my dog. Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Aren't flat roofs also really bad if you get any serious amount of snow?
That thing we seem to be getting more of every year.