Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just crossed over into NI, so technically first international travel in 18 months - feels like summer, :getin: you slags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

failte gu the EU vassal statelet of norn irearnd

do not litter are countryside :nono:

Too late I already flytipped an old mattress and a bunch of pro-EU propaganda leaflets on the hard shoulder of the M1

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

that's a beating

where are you going? there's nothing up here

Just passing through on the way to Donegal. Although have to make a stop off in Ballycastle for the missus' work, they're shooting TV there because the big empty void nothing means nobody accidentally wanders into frame

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Already had an old gammon who looked like latter day Shaun Ryder threaten to kick my dogs head in for barking at him, so I feel like my few hours in NI is delivering in spades

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Wonder how many builders don't know what a theorem is but can use the "3-4-5 square" method to get a square corner.

Probably not many actually since nothing is ever built square.

Anyway, I use both the quadratic equation and Pythagoras' theorem all the time

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've had a recurring headache like that for most of my adult life (or rather it's recurred throughout my adult life but only once every couple of months for a couple of hours at the time) - in fact it feels *specifically* like a pick going in the top of my head and curving around to come out under my right eye. With a long and undistinguished family history of strokes and aneurysms, and the "entry wound" being very close to a nice big divot in my skull courtesy of a knee to the head in a rugby match, it's always terrified me but nothing ever showed up on the MRIs I had. Now thanks to Covid, or rather regular Covid testing and a slightly misplaced swab causing that *exact* pain, I now know it's just one of my sinuses being annoying. Apparently it's a pretty common thing, at least according to a nurse I was chatting to about it.

Yeah as soon as you described the path of the pain I knew it was a sinus thing. Probably correlates with barometric pressure to some extent. I wonder if there's exploratory surgery you can get to unblock some poo poo in there

E: brief googling indicates yeah , you can get endoscopic sinus surgery on the NHS

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 4, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lmao amazing

https://twitter.com/Milo_Edwards/status/1401865871866437636?s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Noxville posted:

Maybe Twitter has broken my brain but I can’t remember when I last laughed so much at something as I did this

https://twitter.com/danboeckner/status/1402352951629430788?s=21

lmao

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Sucks, but those are your three choices: pay more, get nothing, or fascism.

Somehow I seem to have selected the option that gives me all 3 at the same time

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Watching Joe Biden and Boris Johnson fight is like watching two Kaiju have it out.

E: hmmm that's a bad snipe. Weird that there's no month with 29 days tho.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol yeah there it is

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Borrovan posted:

Heineken 0.0 is the best of the boring lagers, if anyone cares (by which I mean it's the only one that isn't ridiculously sweet)

:hmmyes:

Even though regular Heineken is pish, the 0.0 is the best of a mediocre crop.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Is Nick Clegg advising the Scottish FA?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Good job Netherlands, wouldn't want to oppose the general concept of racism in case the stadium full of Zwaarte Piet cosplayers get their feelings hurt

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jippa posted:

What's going on in manchester?

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/everyone-makes-mistakes-says-teen-20644989

'Everyone makes mistakes', says teen who karate-kicked 74-year-old man into River Mersey.

quote:

His mum, who supported him in court, said: "For me, I want the elderly gentleman to get better because my son’s not a rogue.

"It was something that he did, stupidly, at the minute and nobody wants the fella. What's the word? Suffer.

Ma'am we regret to inform you your son may be a rogue. She sounds thick as hell tho lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Irish media continues to :gizz: over Biden gently tutting in Johnson's direction. Predictably craven but also funny

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2021/0611/1227454-biden-johnson-ni-talks/

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Imagining your local weed dealer hanging out in the foliage in a full ghillie suit

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Not that I have ever tried but I would assume people just... buy drugs on their phones nowadays rather than itinerant weed peddlers going tree to tree hoping for someone to approach them and request to partake of their dank.

I mean if I were to partake in such things I would use my laptop because its hard to into darkweb via phone, but generally yes

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Borrovan posted:

You just reminded me that I had about a fiver left over from a few years back in a bitcoin wallet on my old laptop, so I checked the exchange rate & ah man I wish I'd remembered that a few months back

Why haven't I seen more crypto nerd tears, they must have been beautiful

Yeah I cashed out like 600 euro of BTC that had quintupled in value while it rested in my account for no particular reason.

Do Drugs Get Paid

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Gender stuff

I would say " we should not be imputing data not present in the original data set without a strong justification, as this could lead to potential issues re: data integrity. Especially for a metric as potentially sensitive as gender identity"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sinky posted:

Ask the idiot what gender the name 'Sam' definitely is.

Fireperson Sam, innit

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
FWIW I would probably be fired for fabricating data like that. Clinical trials are heavily regulated to international standards but obviously many of the same principles and concerns apply universally.

FDA Auditor to Failed Imagineer: "Why did you say this patient was Caucasian when they didn't give you any ethnicity data?"

Me: " idk, felt right?"

FDA: :fuckoff:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:discourse:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Noxville posted:

How does a newspaper lose THAT much money, where the hell does it all go?

Up their noses, and the rest is spent on R&D for new phone hacking tech and in setting libel actions

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Red Oktober posted:

It's risking a violation of GDPR Article 5(1)(d). PM me if you want a proper response you can send over to them.

I thought GDPR didn't apply in the UK after the Big Day of Freedom? Or did it just get adopted in its entirety and renamed Her Majesty's Data Decrees or something?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
What the gently caress are they doing exactly, just chilling?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mebh posted:

Stobart air of Eddie Stobart the trucks?

The very same, although it only exists because they bought Aer Arann a few years ago.

It's a shame for the folks in Donegal for sure. Coincidentally I was staying in a lovely place on the beaches 2km north of Donegal airport last week, and it's incredibly beautiful but isolated as hell without a flight option

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

When you're getting absolutely monstered by your (nominal) political opponent, your options seem to be:

A. Admit you suck loving poo poo.

B. Admit that the public are loving morons.

C. Assert that your opponent is cool and good and better than you.

D. Reframe the question somehow (?).

I guess D is essentially "doing politicking" but Kieth is not really a politican and seems to have no knack for doing that. A and B are out of the question, so C it is

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Good to see that Scotland can still be relied on to choke comically in international football tournaments.

Goal of the tournament tho, even if keeper was off down the shops getting a pack of smokes

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I left work on Wednesday March 11th 2020, packing my computer peripherals, and told people I'd see them next year. They chuckled as if I was joking, even though we were all biologists.

Still though, I think I was figuring we'd be back after the winter

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I've had 1:1s with my manager every month for the last 15 months where she's implied that we'd be back in work 3 months from {current day}, to which I always say "oh, cool".

As soon as it became clear that they wouldn't supply me with a diagram of the ventilation in the building, I decided not to enter the office until I was jabbed at least

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Our office is some kind of Passive building with blinds that self adjust like there's a fussy temperature sensitive ghost wandering around the building, so god knows how the air currents work

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Btw everyone should watch Bo Burnhams new Netflix special Inside, which is a beautiful/hilarious/melancholy production about living in a room for a year with worsening mental problems while capitalism destroys everything. Seriously, the dude is a comrade and the songs are bangers

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Well you probably won't have to wait long to find out.

Some people could consider that a doomer position or whatever, but it's just extremely likely that there will be a much worse pandemic in the medium-term, and there's gently caress all in place to stop it and no lessons have been learned. The one bright spot is mRNA vaccine technology really saved our asses and may well do so again.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Man I love getting the updates of Sanford continually going through life calling people on their bullshit, king poo poo.

Also, on HIV/plague, it's an interesting hypothesis that either bubonic plague or smallpox might have selected for a European population with a widespread mutation ccr5-∆32 that confers HIV resistance in about 10% of the population. It's debated, but neat

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Contains two women who often make very stupid decisions, plus no walls :colbert:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

If you fuse trudeau and merkel you get "you know I had to do it to em"

This also creates a super Saiyan of pure neoliberalism

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
This is what it means to say the State has a monopoly on violence

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"frosty and Lee etc" has very "ricey, burnsy , cheeks and gibbo" energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Number 2 wont happen until number 1 kills a decent chunk of people.

Here's hoping the climate holdouts/capitalists are somehow inherently more susceptible to dying off, seems improbable tho