Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tsietisin posted:

I think I heard somewhere that they are bringing in grants for heat pumps next year around March time. I may need to look into this further.

If it's like the previous green grant it will be botched so badly every installer will back out as they just end up losing money.
I tried looking into it for loft insulation, the closest installer who accepted the grant was almost an hour away and wanted to charge me more because I wasn't technically in his area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

EvilHawk posted:

I'm always very confused that chinese chippies aren't really a thing down south, because my local when I was growing up and my now-fiance's family chippy are both chinese as well so it just always seemed to be normal to me. Nothing better than chips and special fried rice imo

I can only speak for Reading and Basingstoke but both are full of Chinese/Cantonese chippies.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Noxville posted:

Do people actually rent high powered cars just to drive them fast down residential streets at night? Is this a thing that actually happens?

Yes it's very much a thing. I even remembered reading somewhere that the majority of high end sports cars you see are rental/lease.
No idea if it's true but it's certainly very common.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Going to the police about noisy neighbours not not only leads to them doing absolutely nothing except pissing off your neighbours. But it so means you're legally required to inform any potential buyers of your property of those complaints (with hefty fines if you don't).

Good luck selling your house when buyers can see you've made 12 noise complaints in the last year.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Some dude with a greasy ponytail just pushed this through my door.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Only thing I dislike about big sporting events is the sports coverage spills out of its specified section (while England are winning atleast) . WW3 could have broken out and it would be relegated to some minor page.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 4, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Aramoro posted:

This is happening in Edinburgh as well, huge tower blocks of individual flats for students, pushing some areas into as much as 60% students in some areas, despite the council rules saying it shouldn't exceed 40%. There are so many of them now any dip in student numbers will cause big problems.

A dip that might be caused by say.... a Government pushing children into unpaid internships over university and Universities focusing more on remote learning?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

learnincurve posted:

My dad was there and he said it was all the fault of “little Hitlers” on security taking ages to check NHS apps and demanding people take covid tests even if they had the all clear letter. He pushed past himself and he had a ticket - because he would have missed the start if he didn’t.

Those scoundrels, doing their job and trying their best for people to not get sick!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

learnincurve posted:

On the one hand, covid, on the other, these people willingly volunteered to be parkies for Boris on cup final day.

What?

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 12, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Don't they know they may have inconvenienced someone's dear auld gammon da who couldn't be hosed pulling himself out of the pub more than 5 minutes before kick-off like they were going to watch Brechin City at Glebe Park rather than England at Wembley with 60,000 others.

Those bourgeoisie stewards on their £9.50 an hour temp job! They just want to put the little guy down.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Oh Sian Berry has quit. I know a lot of people in here didn't like her for comments about Corbyn, but I think her reasons for this are commendable.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/14/sian-berry-quits-as-green-party-leader-in-dispute-over-trans-rights

(apologies if this has been discussed and I missed it)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

This is also true of trains, it's a total piss take. love to pay more and more every year for a worse and worse service.

Always tickles me when you're getting off a section of rail that one company has a complete monopoly on and it says "Thank you for choosing Virgin rail" or whatever, like you actually had a chose of providers to select from.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I swear he used to be a bit of a limp.guardian centrist, but it's been fun seeing him slowly get radicalised.

People often get this imagine of him. Hes got a posh voice, he went to Oxford, his parents were conservatives and he writes for the Guardian. But besides a brief interlude of backing the lib dems in 2010, he's always been a vocal critic of capitalism and not just for its environmental impact, while its his main shtick he's done books on forced tribal displacement and the guise of 'capitalism helping the poor'.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

A lot of jealous nonsense in here today.

Lol of the tesla guy ramming a bus?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I suspect the car you drive is substantially less safe than a tesla.

My car which cost me £8k when I got it 5 years ago has the same 5/5 rating from the euro ncap as a tesla does.

It has however never put me or anyone in danger due to a software miscalculation.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No, it doesn't. The euro ncap test in its current form only started in 2020, they havent even tested the model 3 against this standard, but if they did it would outperform your own vehicle. You can't conpare euro ncap tests between years, it says that on their site. They are kind of crap.

Well I'd hope it would beat a car that's a fraction of its price and 8 years old. Doesn't change the fact my car had never killed anyone due to poor software design.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't really know what to say to this? People who have no experience of a thing tell the only person who has they're an idiot and then that they're also gross? Err ok.

If you don't want people to make fun of you for having a tesla, don't try and claim everyone's jealous of your tesla?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I didn't, I said you were jealous of the guy that drove into the bus.

Because he was in a tesla... Which you apparently own and have been defending for 5/6 pages now despite desperately claiming you're just joking about.

It's pretty clear people being dismissive of your overpriced toy has upset you.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Don't SUVs/4x4s have a much higher risk of greater injury to cyclists and pedestrians?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

Sometimes you do more violence by doing nothing, when you have the power to do something.

:patriot:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

learnincurve posted:

Morrison’s has done away with points and is doing all discounts via the Clubcard app and the olds are PISSED

I'm pissed. Our local petrol station was morrisons so you could really rack up the points nice and easy and then spend on whatever. Now it's discount on whatever morrisons wants to push that week. .

It's a blatant down grade.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Yeah the 'cheap' insurers cover bugger all and have clauses to get out of almost anything.

I needed up with 'bought by many' mostly going on the Which reviews of the coverage and customer satisfaction.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The Perfect Element posted:

Pet insurance is up there as one of the least regulated and most shady lines of business on the market. Your premiums will rack up quickly, and if you do have to make a claim, there's an incredibly significant chance that there'll be an exclusion against it anyway.

You're better off just saving the equivalent sum each month and hoping for the best.

This can work out but you are essentially taking a gamble and if your pet gets a long term illness it can cost you thousands a year. If I didn't have a pure breed I might consider it, but pure breeds are notorious for needing expensive care even by the midlife.
You should be very careful about what insurer to go with though and read their exclusions carefully.

JoylessJester posted:

In my limited experience estate agents seem to exist to make any transaction more hassle and charge for the favour.

Estate agents are funny because they are almost always the kind of people who buy into to that 'pretend to be successful will make you successful' crap. They always drive cars way way above their pay grade, well at least the boys do.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 21, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Before I learned how to cook Iceland was a godsend. Easily cheapest for frozen food.
Outside of that thought its very limited what they have.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

crispix posted:

lol guardian want me to register to read the diarrhea they write

when did this start

Just say "I'll do it later" and it will ignore it for a month before nudging again. BBC news has started doing this also and I hate it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Here's a nice story for the morning to get your piss boiling.

Partner who is a midwife has had a recent patient on the ward who is a covid denier and decided to not tell them she's meant to be isolating. So now they know they have had to isolate her and the other patients she was warded with.

This means 3 of those patients who's new borns were in a separate special care unit can't see their babies for 10 days now.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Dead Goon posted:

They should isolate the denier in a quiet corner of the carpark.

One of the patients is thinking of suing her.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

mrpwase posted:

I can't really afford the subscription fee and should probably just replicate their system in a spreadsheet.

A lot of the new banks like Monzo and Starling come with budgeting built into the app.
It's good enough that I dropped my other budgeting apps that I was paying for.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

how loving hard would you have to throw a dildo at someone's head to concuss them

https://youtu.be/PftOxn4ANjc

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Mr Owl posted:

Sadly not all banking apps are born equal! My Monzo allows me to get this granular although I have an inkling that Monzo is the bank pushing all these other apps forward!

Allows me to track my whiskey consumption which I think is a good thing?

Yeah Monzo and Starling have put a real fire to the feet of the oldie banks who are scrambling to catch up.
I think I'm up to 7 friends/family I've converted to monzo just on showing them how easy it is to use, split bills etc.

I still have my old nationwide account (always have 2 banks) but my primary has been monzo for good few years now.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Strimmers are microplastic pollution generators

Well you're not wrong but the amount they create is absolutely tiny. I'd imagine a single average grocery shop creates multiple times the amount of plastic waste as that of a year's use of a garden strimmer.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 24, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Private Speech posted:

Speaking of inflation I was just looking at student loan interest rates and plan 2 students (post 2011) get hosed over hard.

Not only is there the whole 9k per year tuition fee thing, but the interest rates are night and day compared to the old plan 1 - averaging 6% p.a. for the last couple years and set at 3% + RPI, compared with plan 1 averaging 1.5% p.a. and tracking the BoE base rate + 1%.

Yeah. I'm currently set to pay back about £30k more than I borrowed unless I up my payments to clear it faster.
It's a weird system that's honestly quite kind to the very poor, brutal to most in the middle and then kind to the very rich.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

So why did the dogs and cats need to be rescued? Does the Taliban take a special interest in dogs? Are Cats going to be executed?

Dogs are generally seen as 'unclean' in Islam. They can be kept as guard dogs or working dogs but having a dog as a pet is rare in the Islamic world. This has been viewed by many in the west as 'Islam hate dogs and will murder them on sight' which is just nonsense, its possible they might be neglected though. Cats I have no idea, they are viewed as the perfect pet by many Muslims and are everywhere in Islamic countries.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Private Speech posted:

Oh. Yeah, totally reasonable level of cash savings for the average person on the UK median income of £31.5k a year. I'll, uhh, I'll get right on that.

I'm curious how they got to this number. The usual advice is 3-6 months living expenses, £17k is far more than that for most adults I'd have thought.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

have you looked at house prices lately

If they meant in regards to a deposit on a house then £17k would be far too little in most cases though. So I think they just mean a basic emergency fund to avoid "financial vulnerability" as the article puts it.

Just seems far more than most people would need to me.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

The internet advice to have X months expenses or Y thousand as an emergency fund is hugely skewed by US views, where healthcare is super expensive and always has some out-of-pocket component to be covered, IMO.

If you have more than a few thousand saved up it should go into an ISA or your pension, or something like that. In the UK there just isn't the same risk of a big potentially bankrupting expense coming out of nowhere.

Even without health care costs, 3 months outgoing is very sensible. If I got fired tomorrow (and I easily could be thanks to the lib dems helping change rules around protections) I need to pay bills somehow until I got a new job.

3 months to find a new job is pretty common.

But yes beyond 3-6 months you should be putting it somewhere more sensible than savings account.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Except then you run the risk of being locked out of your savings for 12 months when, say, a pandemic hits and your special high interest savings account stops allowing withdrawals for a year! (Source: me - this happened and I would have been in poo poo if I had still been renting instead of having bought this place 3 months before lockdown and without the wherewithall to pay out council tax and service charges for several months in a cash account. If I'd been having to find rent £600pm instead of s/charges £116pm I just couldn't have done it.)

How does being locked out of your account make you worse off than having no emergency fund in the first place though?

I'm curious to hear what kind of savings account can up and change its terms without allowing you to close it cos that sounds illegal to me.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

OK say I was still renting. I would not have been able to pay the rent. So it doesn't make it worse than having NO emergency fund but it makes it worse than having A sufficient reserve in a cash account.

Re the type of savings account, it's more an investment account - in terms of risk I place it halfway between a regular savings account paying 0.000000000000000001% interest and the ups and downs of the stock market. And what's more they've wopped £5k off me too since last November :(

Right yes, I probably wasn't clear. An emergency fund should always be in an account you can withdraw from at the drop of a hat, even if it's the case that the interest causes it to lose value.

Once you've saved up that fund, you put anything on top either in your pension or a S&S isa (or both)

Also it's wise to have the emergency fund in a different account to your main one incase your account gets frozen for whatever reason (say for example a purchase triggers some money laundering flag) , your hosed until its resolved.
This happened to a friend when they cashed out some crypto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

On the subject of money though. I'm in the very privileged position of having increased income while still living like the cheap bum I have for the past 20 odd years. So I'd like to put some of that excess towards some charitable causes.

Can the thread recommend some good charities to me please? Maybe something for animals and another for maybe the unhoused as we have been recently discussing them. I'd prefer something where I felt my money was making a difference instead of paying for slick adverts.