Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Current variants of concern:
Alpha (B.1.1.7, 'UK variant')
Beta (B.1.351, 'South African variant')
Gamma (P.1 'Brazilian variant')
Delta (B.1.617.2, 'Indian variant')
Yeeessss we're the fuckin alpha covid awooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, same. Normal life ground to a halt in March 2020 and it's just been the same repeating day ever since then. Getting up, doing my day's work from home, going on my government-approved walk around the neighbourhood, then dispiritedly browsing the forums until it's time to reset to the morning again.
Combination of depression and disability has meant this has been my life for the last few years, apart from a house move last december. You get to a point where if you don't have a dog or partner annoying you for food / company, it really does start to feel like the only reason you get up is to prevent bedsores.

It's odd because part of me wanted to rub it in and say "it's not great is it" to all of the relatives who were calling me lazy and are now posting statuses about being lonely and climbing up the walls with boredom, but this isn't funny for anyone really.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Labour getting (rightly) dicked on for their token LGBTQ post:

https://twitter.com/PhilosophyTube/status/1399689367908663303?s=19

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Any chance we could stop the racist stereotyping of Northern Irish people as angry, violent simpletons?
That's not fair to the ones that want to be part of Britain though.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Wasn't there a thing a while ago where they wanted heat pumps controlled by a municipal authority? So now your home can be just like every school and workplace, i.e. freezing cold or overheating because it's all controlled from a cupboard in cramlington.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The virgin O² and the chad Vodafone.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wonder how many builders don't know what a theorem is but can use the "3-4-5 square" method to get a square corner.
99 please post the 'gently caress it' corner from your build.

Borrovan posted:

The trick is to just buy the drat round, if some people can't afford to then everybody politely pretends not to notice, & if people obviously could afford to but still don't then just don't drink with those people :colbert:
I have historically always been broke, always had a terrible memory, and so have always made it absolutely clear up front that i'm pacing myself and will not be joining in with rounds. Anyone who has a problem with that is generally not a person I go to pubs with again.

The absolute worst is the person who gets weird about me not 'accepting their hospitality' and then gets weird later about

No, scratch that - the absolute worst is the person who gives me cash 'while I'm up' and expects me to remember their order and change knowing how bad my memory is.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

These days, they're all called downloadr these days.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm still not sure 'It's fine if people get infected as long as the hospitals can cope with the number of people getting sick' is that reassuring an argument.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I have a specific pain tolerance, in that I am fine with things I know for a fact aren't actually dangerous. Anything I can't see or I don't know where the pain is coming from freaks me the absolute gently caress out.
Oh Jesus yes. I am constantly sustaining injuries (thanks dyspraxic profile) that horrify my wife, but then get over them immediately.

Conversely I have had an on/off icepick headache the last few days, and there is a part of my rear end in a top hat brain that is going 'It's a blood clot. It's a tumor. It's a big cancerous tumour, and also one of them twins you absorbed in the womb and it's eating your brain.'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Apparently it's a pretty common thing, at least according to a nurse I was chatting to about it.
It's weird how often that happens. I spent years having random hot lightning pains down my arm that no doctor could work out, only for a physio to say 'oh yeah, that's a trapped nerve and if you just stretch your neck properly it'll stop.'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sebzilla posted:

Neither the how or the why questions are easily answered, and if you'd killed your kid why would you ntentionally create an enormous international media circus for years?
You're right that how she died is neither the key point, nor is it easily solved. Ultimately she's no longer there because the negligent idiots left her in a hotel room on her own. There are a million ways an unattended child can kill themselves, especially in an un-childproofed hotel room.

Hell she may not have died in the hotel room. She may have woken up, found her parents gone and wandered out to find them, and genuinely gone missing. A minimum wage worker might have found her in a cleaning cupboard full of bleach and panicked.

The point is once they came back and realised she was gone, the panic and the 'blame others so nobody knows we've been negligent' thing kicked into overdrive. And they were propped up by the guilt by proxy of every parent who's ever left their kids alone for five minutes, even for good reasons the McCann's didn't have.

I doubt they were the ones who sought out the PR company, I think at that point it had become such huge news I have no doubt that a very sympathetic-sounding and manipulative PR guy got their foot in the door and managed to weaponise their denial. From that point on it was just PR guys framing everything as salaciously as possible to get the TV appearances and column mentions rolling.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-06-05/time-to-distinguish-between-vaccinated-and-unvaccinated-says-tony-blair

quote:

Tony Blair: Former PM says the vaccinated should have no lockdown restrictions

tonty's off his shits again

quote:

Former prime minister Tony Blair says it makes "no sense at all to treat those who have had vaccination as the same as those who haven’t."

Tony Blair has said it is "time to distinguish" between people who have and haven't had a coronavirus vaccine.

The former Prime Minister said it makes “no sense at all to treat those who have had vaccination as the same as those who haven’t”.

Mr Blair was reacting to a report published by the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change which says “vaccine status matters” and champions the idea of health passes “to allow citizens to prove their status in a secure, privacy-preserving way”.

Proposing the health pass system be used both at home and abroad, the report said: “With this ability to securely prove vaccination status, we can move beyond blunt, catch-all tools and align with other countries by removing certain restrictions for the fully vaccinated, thereby enabling us to sustainably reopen the economy.”
Love to 'react' to a report produced by my own institute which I named after myself. Also the press deliberately conflating his opinion with the conclusions of the report.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

See also the inherent racism in the press insisting that the MET go over and sort it out, because the foreigns could not possibly have a police force on par with (or better than) ours.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ovid-19 :makesuthink:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

jiggerypokery posted:

That is literally how capital gains tax works. It's just a much lower rate of course because only rich people pay it can afford the kind of accountancy firms and banking structures that effectively reduce their taxes to less than zero.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

a pipe smoking dog posted:

politics 4 all is a painfully unfunny "satire" account that is probably just trying to hitch itself on the TBEU to be associated with something entertaining
why would you want to hitch yourself to the tonty blair european union

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Wrong thread

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

McVities are tax dodging bastards, gently caress off with your 'technically it's a cake so we don't have to pay luxury tax' bullshit. It's a biscuit.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

A biscuit goes soft when it's stale, a cake goes hard when it's stale. Biscuits are charged as luxury goods but cakes are not. QI did a thing about it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://www.bcereviews.org.uk/

Boundary review is up for consultation. I am an idiot and do not understand this poo poo at all, but I fully expect people who do understand it to find out that funnily enough it massively benefits the tories.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So if someone were, in Minecraft, happen to know where Poor Persecuted Minority Geoff Norcott was going to be filming something on a roof, and - again in Minecraft - that someone happened to have access to a roof overlooking where Norcott was no doubt going to be using a national television show to complain about how he's being silenced... what - in Minecraft - should that someone do?

Use redstone to build a projector and project stuff onto the buildings behind him. In minecraft.

Bonuses if you can get someone in an opposite building to do it as well so they can't just crop it out.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Does anyone know of a good, cheap source for old 2000ad serials? Particularly the old Bix Barton strips.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Don't you usually need jabs to go abroad anyway? Twat.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Northern Independence for Islington North.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

gently caress, that brewdog response. "If you're having trouble with an abusive line manager, speak to your abusive line manager about it. I don't see the problem because we all love the amount of money we're making. Now put your mame on this letter or your loving family starves. Kisses, James (I'm a punk, honestly)"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Perfect Element posted:

All the, 'you spoke. We listened.' bollocks,
Perhaps they should simply motivate their staff with a sense of pride and accomplishment.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Let me guess, mid 2010s, around the peak of all that "Enjoy the Decline" and "Curse of the High IQ" poo poo where being an abrasive rear end in a top hat went from being a Tucker Max/Maddox style gimmick to actual career advice by people who bought into the surface uncritically, before the world saw that that just gets you Donald Trump?
Reminds me of (if anyone's into tabletop streaming) the CEO of Wyrmwood's big meltdown last year because some of his staff voiced concerns about health & safety, HR issues and working hours. His 'solution' was to film himself having a big pissy rant on the shop floor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3tYvIkVrTo

(This might not be the right video because I'm out with the dog so I can't watch it all, but if he starts shouting about the health and safety measures he's unwilling to put in place then that's it.)

There seems to be this huge transition issue when small businesses (especially 'punk'/rebel companies) who are used to treating people like poo poo get over a certain size and have to treat their employees with proper rights, and they just loving lose it because they cannot accept that they are the bad guys now.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 10, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Netherlands defending taking the knee only if the players were reaching for a tin of boot polish.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

do you think if terfs and transwomen actually met in real life rather than on twitter... this would all just sort of get sorted?
This particular bout was kicked off by a terf who was abusing a co-worker to her face by using the wrong pronouns and deadnaming her. Transphobic abuse happened to a guy I went to uni with.

I do wonder if the majority of the people in the press with 'valid concerns' would have the temerity to actually say anything in front of a trans person*, but trans abuse is certainly real enough to be a huge problem.

* Or if it would be more like the many in-laws that go on about workshy scroungers stealing their taxes - not you obviously though, you've got circumstances. Not like those others though, hanging's too good for the wastes of space etc etc.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

For what it's worth I wasn't accusing you of downplaying, I was sort of half doing something else at the same time and my dog was being needy so it was a bit unfocused.

I do wonder if a lot of the columnists propping up the gender critical mob would probably have very different opinions if they actually met a trans person and talked to them, and I don't mean on twitter.

A lot of it is people who don't really know picking the side that seems more 'reasonable.' And to a lib brained columnist, their nice dinner party friends are all getting shitcanned by people who swear at them, again, on twitter.*

Abby Thorne's latest video is good about this kind of ignorance.

* Because you know, their basic human rights are being denied.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Looks like the union fuckery is in full swing:

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1402924066365915136?s=19

https://twitter.com/skwawkbox/status/1402918452885610498?s=19

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'd also be wary of saying she left without also mentioning that she was getting antisemitic abuse and it was a factor in her leaving. It just wasn't from any Corbyn aligned faction. It was from dickheads who would be giving her antisemitic / misogynistic abuse for even existing, even if she wasn't in politics, and then she decided to blame it on Corbyn because the Grauniad broke everyone's brains.

Then because she was already getting AS abuse, she decided to interpret any criticism of her and her wet centrist nonsense as AS abuse.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 12, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Private Speech posted:

They've been hanging out in the house for 2 hours now, still are.

It is a shared house so I guess they have the right to do that (they don't live here but for HMOs the landlord has unlimited access to shared space IIRC) but also I wish they would gently caress off.
Reminds me of my last neighbour, he would rent out his house but spend all day in the garden playing obnoxiously poo poo music from a shed / annexe he had set up at the bottom of it. In the last two years we were living there he was running it as an airbnb hotel and even when he had people staying he was still out in the garden all day.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

But your beanie babies...

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"Infectious you say? Well how is his family?"

"To shreds, you say?"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Can I just ask in an extremely Seinfeld voice (and presumably therefore have someone explain as George Costanza) what's the deal with the Unite candidates?

As far as I can tell Howard Beckett was saying the right things and pissing off the right people, apart from being slightly insane and banging on about setting up a TV channel. But Owen Jones is saying if we don't all get behind Steve Turner, who I've never heard of, the unions are finished. Also there might be a third one who's name begins with G but might be the Starmerite stooge.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Spangly A posted:

Coyne came in third by branch nominations, unless I'm missing some internal polling he isn't a threat.
A few pages ago I posted a tweet about how a bunch of branches apparently didn't ask their members and were given 'special dispensation' to just push Coyne through, so his popularity might be even lower than the nominations seem.

E:

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 13, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Spangly A posted:

nope I'm wrong, it's quorum (5 members) and voted by those present. So 20 letters could be defended if the branch widely advertised the nomination meeting online, it's absolutely dodgy as poo poo if they didn't
Bunch of people in the replies saying they weren't told about the meetings, and the quoted tweet from Fitzsimmons definitely makes it sound like there was no online meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

bessantj posted:

Yeah, I think it just gives the supporters the chance to say it's "triggering the libs"
It's something I've definitely noticed a lot, a right wing twat will say something inhumanly dumb, get ratioed by leftists demonstrating how dumb it is, and the top comment is always OP saying "Well, looks like I got the right people upset!"