Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Don't forget there's no visible reason for the votekick, and console players (and gamepass...) can't see chat, so if the numbers don't give it away they're just guessing.

And the idle timer resets when you die, so if the objectives are progressing quickly enough a player can be idle literally the entire match and never have more than 20 seconds idle time.

Oh and I hope there aren't more than 2 or 3 AFK players on the team, otherwise it will be literally impossible to hit the vote threshold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Clanpot Shake posted:

And the idle timer resets when you die, so if the objectives are progressing quickly enough a player can be idle literally the entire match and never have more than 20 seconds idle time.
This explains so much. That's ridiculous wtf

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
It’s been brought up, but the d-pad buttons to cycle weapons are also the buttons for voting, I assume it’s the same buttons for the PC crowd, too? Same thing when there’s a prompt to spawn at the next objective, or as a boss character.

The d-pad buttons to vote are not up and down, as you might think. It’s left and right, lol.

Can you turn off the chat in options? I feel like it’d affect the way I play if I saw it. There’d be a temptation to seek justice and not seek objectives.
edit: There's been a hotfix today,

Chivalry 2 Hotfix 2.9.2 posted:

Good morrow knights! A minor hotfix (2.9.2) has been released with balance adjustments to The Reclamation of Montcrux, fixes to the Crossparty Beta system, as well as a handful of general bug fixes.

General

- Fixed an issue where hitching would occur during extensive play sessions
- Fixed a small amount of unbuilt environmental lighting on Aberfell
- Fixed an issue where the gate would not rise after completing Stage 3 of Rudhelm
- Fixed an issue where the loading screen for Free-for-All Desert would use the Default art
- Fixed an issue where thrown weapons or objects would sometimes not deal damage
- Fixed an issue where the Arbalest crossbow textures would flicker after being thrown
- Fixed an issue where nobles would become stuck when spamming grab on Bridgetown
- Several crash fixes

Crossparties Beta

- [Xbox] Fixed an issue where a crash would occur while navigating the Social Tab
- [EGS] Fixed an issue where the party leader could not kick party members
- Improved reliability of friend online status

The Reclamation of Montcrux

Stage 1

- Removed instances of invisible collisions in front of the castle
- Improved rock collision and navigation
- Fixed an issue where player navigation would become untethered on certain walkable objects

Stage 2

- Fixed an instance of no collision present for the central tower wall
- Addressed an exploit where players could get on top of the towers

Stage 3

- Increased portcullis opening time from 20 seconds to 30 seconds
- Increased portcullis closing time from 10 seconds to 15 seconds
- Increased Attackers respawn time from 2 seconds to 4 seconds
- Fixed an issue where the portcullis would appear rising from the ground when standing above it

Stage 4

- Increased attack respawn time to 5
- Decreased defense respawn time to 7

Improved reliability of friend online status seems like a tough thing to enforce

Oh nice they fixed the Rudhelm gate?

Chuds McGreedy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 16, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

you can shut chat off, and PC votes with f5 and K lol

i would honestly say its easier to get the first place player kicked, regardless of who they are, compared to AFKers or team killers/trolls

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Does Chiv 2 have any mods? I kinda miss the LOTR servers from Mordhau.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nah, at least not yet. Torn Banner says custom servers are coming this year...

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Worf posted:

you can shut chat off, and PC votes with f5 and K lol

Which, to be clear, also cannot be re-bound and conflict with other non-rebindable commands. K/F5 are used for the forward spawn and VIP accept/reject prompts. So maybe you go to vote No but accidentally pass on playing Argon. You know, totally unavoidable video game edge-cases

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
my only remaining lucid memory of the chivalry source mod is playing helm's deep. tom banner seriously just needs to put out a legally distinct totally not helm's deep map

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Clanpot Shake posted:

Which, to be clear, also cannot be re-bound and conflict with other non-rebindable commands. K/F5 are used for the forward spawn and VIP accept/reject prompts. So maybe you go to vote No but accidentally pass on playing Argon. You know, totally unavoidable video game edge-cases

I voted on a troll and accidentally became a monk as a result

Sounds a lot cooler on paper than it is tbh

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Hmm looks like defense got buffed on Montcrux. I feel like the crank is already pretty defendable, not sure if they really needed help there.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

crank is among the easiest objectives to defend in the game so far, defense spawns right there and its surrounded by choke points.

i honestly think theyre balancing the maps around the reality that ppl hate playing defense and tenosia lmao

i havent played it yet but im glad they theoretically fixed pathing

oh and shoutout to rudhelm gate working again i guess

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I always vote yes to kick. Always have, always will. Even if it’s for me.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

They broke the right side spawn door in Montcrux for Tenosia, too. The trap on Montxrux at the gate doesn’t work anymore either, if it ever did. I killed six people in two pulls and got zero points, they all just showed as suicide

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

quote:

They broke the right side spawn door in Montcrux for Tenosia, too.

100% when they broke rudhelm i assumed it was linked to the asset management being poorly implemented copy/paste with doors on montcrux

this...does not do much to dissuade me of that notion lmao. TB is the only developer ive really experienced that made such a fun game that also is constantly broken / has such glaring day 1 issues (ie, dark forest setting you the gently caress on fire because it has invisible fire on first objective)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Chiv definitely gives me Gamer Whiplash in unprecedented ways. On the one hand, I’ve never put 800 hours into a multiplayer game and probably only spent that much time on FFXI and Medieval 2, but instead of getting bored, I’ve been more and more invested in the game as my skills improve. On the other, they’ve somehow managed to introduce frame drops, more hitreg errors, and some of the absolute worst matchmaking decisions in the history of online gaming on top of a 95% irredeemable garbage community.

I still don’t understand why they removed the arena maps from the playlists. Wardenglade/statues circle/arena are my favorite maps by a wide margin and I haven’t played any of them since summer. Who asked for that? Who was clamoring for TB to remove functional, years-old content and restrict it to an unpopular mode? Genuinely flabbergasting stuff

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Frog Act posted:

I still don’t understand why they removed the arena maps from the playlists. Wardenglade/statues circle/arena are my favorite maps by a wide margin and I haven’t played any of them since summer. Who asked for that? Who was clamoring for TB to remove functional, years-old content and restrict it to an unpopular mode?

Reddit

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

the other half of reddit is now complaining that theyre gone

p funny tbh

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Frog Act posted:

I still don’t understand why they removed the arena maps from the playlists. Wardenglade/statues circle/arena are my favorite maps by a wide margin and I haven’t played any of them since summer. Who asked for that? Who was clamoring for TB to remove functional, years-old content and restrict it to an unpopular mode? Genuinely flabbergasting stuff

TDM is still in rotation on standalone servers, but those aren't always populated

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I think that's one good move they've made, for a playlist titled team objective I don't consider deathmatch an objective and it saves me from migrating lobbies any time bangers like wardenglade or desert come up

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Joined a server the other day and there was a dude that was literally suiciding the whole 2 rounds I played. Just slamming f10 every time they respawned. No idea why, they wouldn't even type anything into the chat.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Clanpot Shake posted:

TDM is still in rotation on standalone servers, but those aren't always populated

Oh poo poo really? I’m gonna have to check those out. I’ve never really played any modes beyond 64p TO playlist or messed with the server list. I’m not sure I’d do very well, but it would be a useful learning opportunity to engage in 1v1 matches and smaller TDMs to unlearn some of the habits that come from relying on teammates to cover flanks and ambushing people.

Another regular US East player suggested I try out duel servers, too, which I’ve also never bothered with but would be similarly useful. I’ve still been spending most of my time with unorthodox weapons and I think it’s improved my overall skills.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Frog Act posted:

Oh poo poo really? I’m gonna have to check those out. I’ve never really played any modes beyond 64p TO playlist or messed with the server list. I’m not sure I’d do very well, but it would be a useful learning opportunity to engage in 1v1 matches and smaller TDMs to unlearn some of the habits that come from relying on teammates to cover flanks and ambushing people.

Another regular US East player suggested I try out duel servers, too, which I’ve also never bothered with but would be similarly useful. I’ve still been spending most of my time with unorthodox weapons and I think it’s improved my overall skills.

40 player is much better for practice than 64. More 1v1s and longer lives generally

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Joined a server the other day and there was a dude that was literally suiciding the whole 2 rounds I played. Just slamming f10 every time they respawned. No idea why, they wouldn't even type anything into the chat.

Some people play games to act out their murder fantasies

Other people play games to act out their suicide fantasies

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Frog Act posted:

beer gas canister posted:

40 player is much better for practice than 64. More 1v1s and longer lives generally

This. 64p is frenetic and eventually you will get dog pilled. 40p gives you some time to reset between encounters.

Unpopular opinion but I don't think there's anything you can pick up in duels that you can't pick up in TO (the reverse is not true). If you're trying to get better just pay attention to why you died and in the meantime play the game mode you enjoy.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I have consistently improved just playing a lot of TO on what I sort of think of as self-directed shuffle, switching weapons to things I haven’t used often/didn’t learn the game with every life or every other life. Managed to top frag today and beat out EvilEasterBunny (who was on defense), a considerably better player than I am, by focusing hard on alternating bonks and 1vX with the 1h mace.

The 1h axe also owns, I played with it a lot when I first started but put it away for a long time. Using it today I’m realizing the speed, high damage, and swordlike overhead give it a lot of advantages and managed to get 26 kills in a life using just that, which is on the higher end of my one-life killstreak record

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Also consider spending time with the mace, or any other "stops on contact" weapon with a shield. You can throw out super fast strikes and people often block improperly as a result. They can be devastating when you have multiple targets to ping pong hits off of

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Clanpot Shake posted:

This. 64p is frenetic and eventually you will get dog pilled. 40p gives you some time to reset between encounters.

Unpopular opinion but I don't think there's anything you can pick up in duels that you can't pick up in TO (the reverse is not true). If you're trying to get better just pay attention to why you died and in the meantime play the game mode you enjoy.

the "go learn in duels, where you will learn how to play" thing was started and perpetuated by people with 3000 hours in duels that dont play other game modes

positioning is arguably the most important part of survival in TO and it doesnt even apply in a duel setting lmao

back in the day, the happy medium to this was FFA, where youd find some of the better duelists but also have to pay attention to your surroundings. i stopped playing FFA a long time ago though so idk

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Agree 💯 about positioning. 64 player kinda wrecks that but if you get an ally or 2 going along the flanks you can often get something going. It's also important to fight very dirty and pick off anyone that is cut off from their team. Lately I've been trying to use the engi to creatively disrupt reinforcements and sight lines

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

beer gas canister posted:

Also consider spending time with the mace, or any other "stops on contact" weapon with a shield. You can throw out super fast strikes and people often block improperly as a result. They can be devastating when you have multiple targets to ping pong hits off of

Yeah I’ve spent like 75% of my time in the last week with the 1h mace as either knight or footman and it might be my favorite weapon. I get an outrageous amount of takedowns by just shooting around bopping people in the way you describe and still exceed my usual kill count by getting in behind groups and using a heavy attack to get 2-4 kills at once. I spent some time with the Morningstar too, and i can see why some people prefer it, but for whatever reason despite being mostly identical the 1h mace seems slightly superior. The pickaxe is also extremely good, never spent any time with it before a fun life where I picked it off a dead body as an officer and ended up getting like 35 tkds.

Blunt weapons in general seem to be absolutely top tier when wielded with a little bit of care. The stop on contact thing, which I initially interpreted as a disadvantage, is really just a lateral thing from bladed weapons and not going through people isn’t necessarily problematic. People have a particularly hard time coping with an sideways feint followed by a downward vertical hit, which can get around shields and block the same way a sword/cavalry sword can and it devastates guardians big time

The 2h mace and the Warclub are also extremely good for frustrating people with speed they don’t expect. The warclub’s reach, especially, makes it maybe the best weapon in the game for flanking heavy attacks on groups of footmen/knights.

I suspect most players consider 1h weapons to be inherently secondary and inferior to their 2h counterparts but in most situations I’d rather have a 1h mace than a greatsword after the last week, and I’m level 250 something with GS as my most-used weapon

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

if youre fighting 1 person, having your blade continue through them is a disadvantage vs being able to wind up another hit

cudgel ambusher is a really funny build too

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Fun fact: Cudgel wasn’t always a hit-stop thwack weapon, when the game came out it used to cleave through people like bladed weapons.

There’s a pile of bones under the gate bridge in Siege of Rudhelm, the bone you equip from this pile acts just like the old cudgel did. It’s not the best weapon in the game or anything, but it’s still a neat, probably unintended, Easter egg. Haven’t played Rudhelm in months though, no idea if it’s still there today. Stopped because of the gate bug, and also now I found a range of TO maps I enjoy and only play those, Thayic Stronghold to Darkforest has like two hours’ worth of banger maps with no duds in between. Wish Rudhelm was a part of that cycle, but the newest maps kinda take the wind out of my sails, bugs and balance issues maybe, I dunno. I avoid the map cycle from Breach of Baudwyn to Sacking of Bridgetown.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Worf posted:

if youre fighting 1 person, having your blade continue through them is a disadvantage vs being able to wind up another hit

It's worth mentioning you can cancel a swing after the first contact, so you can hit one and then block the second rather than cleaving through to them. I use this to sneak quick hits in.

Frog Act posted:

The 1h axe also owns, I played with it a lot when I first started but put it away for a long time. Using it today I’m realizing the speed, high damage, and swordlike overhead give it a lot of advantages and managed to get 26 kills in a life using just that, which is on the higher end of my one-life killstreak record

1h axe is my sidearm of choice. LS is great for most thing, but sometimes you need that chop-damage can opener. It has long feint windows so you can do some wild noodle-arm swings and the heavies are devastating.

Frog Act posted:

I suspect most players consider 1h weapons to be inherently secondary and inferior to their 2h counterparts but in most situations I’d rather have a 1h mace than a greatsword after the last week, and I’m level 250 something with GS as my most-used weapon

Newbies have bad opinions about everything. They give others poo poo for using shields, forgetting shields aren't just for blocking - they're a 15-20 damage jab and a 30 damage throwing weapon with interrupt. I don't use shields often but I love it when my enemy dodges out of weapon range only to take a shield to the teeth because they thought they were safe at that distance.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I’ve been playing a lot of footmen and trying to incorporate shield throws and jabs, mostly for finishing downed enemies. Still haven’t really integrated jab into my play the way I want to

Also I’m finding the TO community increasingly enervating, people are just so loving hostile. It’s an unbelievably toxic place in US East AM and it’s quite unpleasant. There are at least five players who recognize my name and go out of the way to gently caress with me the whole match, it’s very odd as I commend everyone and am only lovely to people in return. I guess repeatedly highlighting that someone has 1/3rd my score and calling them a bitch in response perpetuates it but I strongly prefer a friendly environment and chivalry is just overflowing with pimple faced reactionary teens. It is funny how frequently people accuse me of being a basement dwelling virgin, but I guess I just have to turn chat off permanently or something idk. I’m gonna try the other playlists today and see if they’re less horrible

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

whenever i play literally any other game it highlights how absolutely poo poo chiv2 players are lmao

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I don't know how you specifically find anyone in a 64 player server, theres just too many people. You could always just play on shuffle and set your cosmetics to generic stuff too I guess. But playing on shuffle is fun anyways

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Also why did they decide that the tenosians needed like 7 ballistas on the wall in montcrux. Seriously wtf. I get that you can climb up and kill them but theres also ballistas facing those ladders so...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i usually switch to defense on that map

its funny af to aim the ballistas inside and kill people that climb up lmao

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

https://i.imgur.com/lsgmTIZ.mp4

i have about 600 archer levels and this was a gently caress of a way to get that achievement for the first time lmao

the person i killed was another archer who just got the game that we were kind of battling back and forth lmao

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

https://i.imgur.com/a9h6bmw.mp4

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

this game keeps failing at putting me in NA east servers lately