Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

poo poo I had no idea there was a chivalry thread. I’m level 600 something, almost 700, I play as Dong Quixote. I’ve been trying to learn new weapons recently and spending time with the ambusher which is immensely fun I can’t believe I haven’t seriously tried it in the last 600 hours. Katars seem kinda rear end but the combos they get going are impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Nope, just the level 680 or whatever account. I mostly play during US East daytime/prime hours and I’ve definitely come to recognize a lot of names

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Don’t like that there’s another one of me I’ve had several players fixate on me in weird ways after going a match or two in first place and get kind of harassy, fuckin chivalry has such a terrible playerbase I’m just glad to know there are at least a few other non-nazi/teenage edgewad/etc around

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Clanpot Shake posted:

Katars are a very unique weapon with a different play -style than anything else. Probably the most important thing to keep in mind is your interrupts - jab, special, and sprint attack. Get your damage in with other attacks and interrupt their response and disengage. Embrace playing like a motherfucker.

That does seem to be the heart of the ambusher play style and it’s really engaging once i find a certain rhythm and start thinking about engagements differently than with my usual weapons. They definitely can’t be objectively bad, there’s that one player named “you got katared” or whatever who has definitely humiliated me repeatedly with them and it’s something I want to learn

I’ve also been trying to learn the Spear(s) and spend my matches shuffling around weapons every life/other life and I think it’s helped me improve some, there’s still a ton for me to learn. I still haven’t learned to properly integrate jabs into my gameplay it just escapes me for some reason

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm an embarrassingly high level and top the scoreboard often and I still haven't figured out how to use jabs lol

That makes me feel better I also get first place pretty regularly and I’ve only successfully jabbed once but I get jabbed basically every day

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Probably 30% of what I do is just greatsword heavy overheads but I made some good progress with shortsword ambusher this morning. Gonna start trying to jab using clanpot’s tips, I think the best part of this game is that exact dynamic you mention where even at fairly high levels and hundreds of hours played there’s still a ton of room for me to improve

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Spent some time with the heavy mace today and top scored the whole time that thing is wicked good, it tears through knights and footmen in pretty obscene ways if you line it up right. Can’t believe I slept on this thing all this time when I picked it up this morning it was only level 9

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’ve been learning the 1h mace/glaive/blunt weapons I neglected previously and trying to integrate jabs into my gameplay. Been surprisingly fun, I’ve been top fragging a ton just by alternating heavy and light with the 1h mace, it’s so fast and dynamic and does a shitload of damage through multiple enemies used right.

Precipitated another weird experience though, for the second time in as many weeks i had a player spend the entire match going completely insane insulting me in chat. It’s so loving unsettling when some maniac spends 30+ minutes spamming derogatory fantasies about how I must live in my parents basement, I should die and so should those theoretical parents, etc. this game has the most unhinged fanbase and a certain segment really targets anyone who does okay

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Clanpot Shake posted:

To my mind this element is a bigger barrier to entry than us ultra-sweats who use newbies for target practice. I can't go 2 games without some chud typing a slur or a mating call and invariably chat devolves into which marginalized group should be killed first. TBS has neither the resources nor the inclination to get this problem under control, leaving the playerbase to just stew in it. But hey, that's better than Mordhau's tactic of openly embracing those people!

Yeah I vehemently agree with this assessment. Since I started consistently getting first place more or less every match I’ve also made a concerted effort to: commend everyone, give good advice, compliment new players, and be as pleasant as possible in chat because I remember how much I hated it when people mogged me and then acted like haughty freaks about it, and a game with a terrible toxic community isn’t going to retain new players. TB’s halfhearted system is super frustrating in that regard, I’ve sent screenshots and clips of unqualified nazi propaganda being spammed in chat to chivmail only to see that same poo poo the next day from the same people.

Torn Banner is just, like so many companies, one of the worst possible stewards of their own product. It gets buggier every patch, the new maps feel halfhearted and are riddled with frame drops, and they keep removing or adjusting things inexplicably. I really miss the arena fights, those were my favorite levels for 64p, but they seem to have just unilaterally made them arena mode only so I never get to see them anymore.

Also I spent some time with the quarter staff this morning, having never used it before, and it’s actually pretty loving good for 1vX on account of the alternating swing style. I had some pretty darn good 20+ takedown lives using that and the war club

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

They broke the right side spawn door in Montcrux for Tenosia, too. The trap on Montxrux at the gate doesn’t work anymore either, if it ever did. I killed six people in two pulls and got zero points, they all just showed as suicide

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Chiv definitely gives me Gamer Whiplash in unprecedented ways. On the one hand, I’ve never put 800 hours into a multiplayer game and probably only spent that much time on FFXI and Medieval 2, but instead of getting bored, I’ve been more and more invested in the game as my skills improve. On the other, they’ve somehow managed to introduce frame drops, more hitreg errors, and some of the absolute worst matchmaking decisions in the history of online gaming on top of a 95% irredeemable garbage community.

I still don’t understand why they removed the arena maps from the playlists. Wardenglade/statues circle/arena are my favorite maps by a wide margin and I haven’t played any of them since summer. Who asked for that? Who was clamoring for TB to remove functional, years-old content and restrict it to an unpopular mode? Genuinely flabbergasting stuff

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Clanpot Shake posted:

TDM is still in rotation on standalone servers, but those aren't always populated

Oh poo poo really? I’m gonna have to check those out. I’ve never really played any modes beyond 64p TO playlist or messed with the server list. I’m not sure I’d do very well, but it would be a useful learning opportunity to engage in 1v1 matches and smaller TDMs to unlearn some of the habits that come from relying on teammates to cover flanks and ambushing people.

Another regular US East player suggested I try out duel servers, too, which I’ve also never bothered with but would be similarly useful. I’ve still been spending most of my time with unorthodox weapons and I think it’s improved my overall skills.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I have consistently improved just playing a lot of TO on what I sort of think of as self-directed shuffle, switching weapons to things I haven’t used often/didn’t learn the game with every life or every other life. Managed to top frag today and beat out EvilEasterBunny (who was on defense), a considerably better player than I am, by focusing hard on alternating bonks and 1vX with the 1h mace.

The 1h axe also owns, I played with it a lot when I first started but put it away for a long time. Using it today I’m realizing the speed, high damage, and swordlike overhead give it a lot of advantages and managed to get 26 kills in a life using just that, which is on the higher end of my one-life killstreak record

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

beer gas canister posted:

Also consider spending time with the mace, or any other "stops on contact" weapon with a shield. You can throw out super fast strikes and people often block improperly as a result. They can be devastating when you have multiple targets to ping pong hits off of

Yeah I’ve spent like 75% of my time in the last week with the 1h mace as either knight or footman and it might be my favorite weapon. I get an outrageous amount of takedowns by just shooting around bopping people in the way you describe and still exceed my usual kill count by getting in behind groups and using a heavy attack to get 2-4 kills at once. I spent some time with the Morningstar too, and i can see why some people prefer it, but for whatever reason despite being mostly identical the 1h mace seems slightly superior. The pickaxe is also extremely good, never spent any time with it before a fun life where I picked it off a dead body as an officer and ended up getting like 35 tkds.

Blunt weapons in general seem to be absolutely top tier when wielded with a little bit of care. The stop on contact thing, which I initially interpreted as a disadvantage, is really just a lateral thing from bladed weapons and not going through people isn’t necessarily problematic. People have a particularly hard time coping with an sideways feint followed by a downward vertical hit, which can get around shields and block the same way a sword/cavalry sword can and it devastates guardians big time

The 2h mace and the Warclub are also extremely good for frustrating people with speed they don’t expect. The warclub’s reach, especially, makes it maybe the best weapon in the game for flanking heavy attacks on groups of footmen/knights.

I suspect most players consider 1h weapons to be inherently secondary and inferior to their 2h counterparts but in most situations I’d rather have a 1h mace than a greatsword after the last week, and I’m level 250 something with GS as my most-used weapon

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I’ve been playing a lot of footmen and trying to incorporate shield throws and jabs, mostly for finishing downed enemies. Still haven’t really integrated jab into my play the way I want to

Also I’m finding the TO community increasingly enervating, people are just so loving hostile. It’s an unbelievably toxic place in US East AM and it’s quite unpleasant. There are at least five players who recognize my name and go out of the way to gently caress with me the whole match, it’s very odd as I commend everyone and am only lovely to people in return. I guess repeatedly highlighting that someone has 1/3rd my score and calling them a bitch in response perpetuates it but I strongly prefer a friendly environment and chivalry is just overflowing with pimple faced reactionary teens. It is funny how frequently people accuse me of being a basement dwelling virgin, but I guess I just have to turn chat off permanently or something idk. I’m gonna try the other playlists today and see if they’re less horrible

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Garbage update lol, I’m level 801 and the very first match stacked all the level 100+ players on attack and filled defense with everyone else. It was absolutely brutal. Though I’ll admit it did seem weirdly more balanced in that defense almost won several times and indeed would have without me carrying the team, so it might take into account actual stats more than just level?

Mostly I’m just mad they’re focusing on FFA. I hate FFA. It’d be fine if they added the TDM maps and then put it back in rotation but right now the entire update is basically for a tiny sliver of people who duel constantly. Wish they’d readd TDM to 64p, horses are bogus

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Lol yeah every match I played today was characterized by a similar level distribution. TB implementing a fix after years that magically does the inverse of what it was intended to do is very on brand

I still bought the campaign pass anyway because I’ve wasted 900 hours on this fuckin game

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

hard to imagine how they could have done a worse job with this patch. every match I play is like this now

it feels like they hosed the algorithm up in some fundamental way that results in one team, usually attack, getting all of the level 1000 players every single time. it's completely insane, of course it was a miserable steamroll. they made the issue they were trying to solve exponentially worse lmao

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I remember one of y’all mentioned seeing someone under my name being horrible in in game chat. That same person has been going insane and harassing me for weeks whenever they see me in a match, votekicking, spending 45 minutes repeatedly calling me a pedophile, just totally deranged and over the line stalking/impersonation and it was really impacting my ability to enjoy the game. Just got a message from the Chivmail guy that they finally permanently muted the player in question. Probably should have been banned but I’m glad they broke protocol and let me know what action they took

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I dunno why this happens to me. I swear I’m not particularly noticeable or nasty. I have weird luck with the cohort that plays the same time as me and end up getting the VIP at least 2/3rds of the time and I think that’s gotten me unwarranted negative attention, I usually turn it down now even

Worf posted:

i know who youre talking about and theyre going to be back, ive already had one of their accounts banned

theyve impersonated half of NA east at this point

E: actually, despite being the person that mentioned seeing somebody as a low lvl version of you saying horrible poo poo- i subsequently ran into them a bunch more times and didnt realize it was the same person with different names. this is basically something theyve been doing to multiple people on multiple game accounts. i didnt even know it was that same person until recently when i looked up their account and they had a bunch of known high lvl players as aliases and it was just clearly them impersonating a bunch of NA east

Man, what the gently caress. It makes me feel better to learn that it wasn’t just me, at least, as there is something distinctly uncomfortable about having a dedicated unhinged hater around every corner. Seems kind of insane that TB hasn’t found a way to permanently ban them instead of like, muting them a bunch

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The weirdest part is those names all have slightly different personalities with the same basically unpleasant vein of severe illness running through them (when he uses them). When he was using some of them he would be normal for a bit before lapsing into hostility but whenever he was playing under marty it was just straight to one thousand with the crazy nonsense. I reckon it would be reasonable to say Chiv has a problematic community so it stands to reason it would have an exceptionally deranged local lunatic

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Also all the new stuff is for FFA or a very lazy halfhearted skin/reskin so there’s not much of a pressing reason to finish the battlepass

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

They keep adding new bugs with every patch my favorite is the one that spawns all the monks on Galencourt as dukes, so there’s just a ton of identical nobles lumbering around and because it’s not really a VIP they’re much worse than dukes usually are

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah the only real change seems to be it’ll sometimes slap you on the other team without informing you before the match begins - start out on attack, spawn as defense. It’s autobalance without the compensation. I only played two matches yesterday and one was a normal steamroll, the other felt balanced but in the normal fluke way

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Worf posted:

lol just had a chivmail admin talk poo poo to me in game for using chivmail too much

thats new

Lmao Jesus Christ

Anyway after a few days with the patch I think it has improved things in general though I find myself playing defense much, much more often as the game drops me there at 10s almost every round

As for the insane stalker player they’re still around, I see them from time to time in matches and they’re still not IP muted as I’ve been seeing the other names they use (besides SMELLY GIRL FEET) doing their usual bullshit/votekicks

Worf posted:

people calling for irl genocide of X people is 50% of my reports and 49% are people sitting there repeatedly intentionally TKing so it was kind of a lol thing for an admin to say

I honestly don’t think they care at all about hate speech anymore. The one mod, Ari, a volunteer, seems to give a poo poo but is overwhelmed and underrecognized

Also big lol at the giant “rebellion” (annoyed shitposts) going on in the wider community - irrespective of how bad you feel the cheating problem is, banning a major member of the community for a joke about how gamepass makes cheating easy is really unhinged PR

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah it feels like things are crashing a burning a bit. Giant controversy over the company’s weird high handedness, explosion of hackers, weird lag. Wheels are coming off but I’m still trying to get to 1k, I’m level 878 or something and can’t stop until I get there

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah I messaged TB yesterday because I saw that insane stalker still at it, still harassing me from behind a mute (from what I could see from other player's reactions). I reported him and reached out to chivmail with the playerid but no screenshots because I have them muted and leave as soon as I perceive their presence and chivmail told me to gently caress off and they can't do anything without a screenshot. Didn't even acknowledge that they lied about permanently muting them. really frustrating stuff.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Worf posted:

this is the real issue tbh, they dont give a gently caress how much of a nazi somebody admits to being and acts like

meanwhile you have players like (i think his name is) doomhand12 or something that brags about lvl 1ks being immune from punishment and will votekick/team attack noobs

The stupidest part about that is most level 1k players I’ve gotten to know over the last 1000 hours are actually pretty cool. They’re all chill fellas who I’ve had dozens or hundreds of fights with in the context of 64p TO on US East and mostly it’s just mutual commends and laughs about exceptional moves someone executed. I’m pretty confident I’m at the high end of the skill curve now and it means I recognize most people who are level 850-1000 and know what weapons they prefer/fighting style, it’s a fun little community and it sucks that a handful of complete maniacs and abrasive dickheads like doomhand - who I’m pretty sure is a Dane Axe main smdh - drive away so many new players

Also that Mordhau mode looks kinda cool. I’ve never played it though, I’m sure I’d be enraged with my chivalry muscle memory

Also lmao this game has the worst playerbase, got autobalanced from first on attack to defense where I was obviously far ahead of the rest of the team scorewise and it made the loser who was in first place super angry and they started vote kicking me and calling me “rando” over and over. So many Chiv players have literal NPC brain and can only muster a handful of flabbergasting neologistic insults that I straight up don’t understand. He kept saying “Who is Don Quixote? Rando!” and I have no idea what that’s supposed to mean

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 30, 2024

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

lol yeah the balance patch is basically just everyone who is level 500+ or decently skilled will play defense forever without interruption and all the shitters will stack exactly the same way they used to

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Defense suckiness slowly manifests itself over t the course of 3-5 auto balances to defense in a row

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ever since the prime and gamepass launch I haven’t gone a single game without watching at least one default knight/footman pointlessly slash at an objective with an absurdly obvious mechanic like pushing or burning. Just kinda running in swinging their sword at everyone, getting a team takedown or two, failing to help with the objective, dying, and then repeating the process

Also I passed 1,000 hours yesterday, first time I’ve ever played a multiplayer game that much for this long. Chiv sucks so hard in so many ways but it’s got me in it’s grip. Wonder if we’ll ever see a sequel

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Worf posted:

lol i just found out a completely different person than the other one we've discussed (i assume) has also been harassing me across multiple accounts

Lmao that’s completely bonkers. I’ve played countless online games over the last quarter century and honestly never encountered a playerbase so unhinged. Torn Banner’s complete disinterest in moderation is probably a big part

Worf posted:

i think we'll see a sequel because torn banner isnt above putting out terrible low effort products to make a buck

yes i played arcane mirage for 30 min

I hope so, I’m totally hooked on Chiv and will certainly buy + play any sequel forever even when they inevitably don’t fix anything and make it worse. Very funny Mirage was them, I also bought it and played for less than an hour and never went back because it sucked. Surprised to learn it’s been delisted though, ideally that would be a lesson and they’ll stick to the one game they’ve done a half heartedly acceptable job with

Chuds McGreedy posted:

There was a nine year gap between the first two Chivalries, we’d be due for the eventual 3rd entry in 2030. Maybe in between we’ll get a Chivalry 2: Deadlier Warrior expansion pack, or Arcane 2.

Earnestly, depends how they’re doing selling these campaign passes. They’ve got the branding for people to give a third game a chance, when it’s ready or time.

If they keep squeezing this sequel for cash, I said it before, they could recycle or copy off of the assets from the first game and sell them, like they did with the King’s Edition stuff. I know I’d buy it. I miss having the claw mark heraldry, it made you look already damaged, if you didn’t know better. Made for good hoodwinking and hijinks.

Same. I never played Chivalry 1 and I’ve always wanted to try the maps. If they backport all the missing stuff and a handful of old maps I’d buy it instantly. I mean I’ve bought all the battlepasses even though they’ve been getting consistently worse and the last one had a total of maybe 2 or 3 skins I can actually use as a non-FFA player

Also I’ve been getting into the Highland Sword a bit lately. I understand the appeal now, most people can’t read the timing or feints right so it’s fairly easy to win duels despite the speed and it’s also hilarious watching default enemy players take it from your body and immediately down one of their teammates after dying in a 5v1

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Can’t message cross platform, so congrats on rank 900 Frog Act! Only the final hundo to go.

Thank you my friend. Probably take another hundred hours or so but I’m determined to do it, I just passed the thousand hour threshold yesterday. Makes me wonder if this game will get any more content or if this is the same version we’ll all be playing for another thousand hours probably

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

drat that map looks very cool. It would be exciting if they added some Chiv 1 stuff, I never played it (I did briefly play the very old source mod when that was a thing) and have heard some convincing nostalgia regarding their quality. I saw screenshots of one in particular with a huge stained glass cathedral that felt unearthly and weird with a red sky behind it and a monumental stone path around it, it felt less grounded than Chiv 2 maps and at this point in the game’s lifecycle some random nonsense like lava would be a lot of fun. Though I guess water is already lava

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Final patch day. The new weapon feels good, while it’s really dumb they’ve been able to do different damage types for different attacks with the same weapon forever but apparently chose not to do it for the Poleaxe, it does feel really good. Picked it up and instantly got a classic blunt weapon heavy attack killing spree, it’s like a median between the Heavy Mace and Polehammer, two of my faves. Gonna use it forever I think, also an excellent option for engineer that is kind of lateral to the Sledge but still different enough to be cool

Only saw the second phase of the new map because I had to work and attack lost really easily, seems like it might be tuned to defense right now but it still looks and feels good