Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

This guy seems to have gotten in over his head with his new job. I feel bad for him as it must be pretty confusing for him. I would like your help finding him something that more closely matches his skill set.

I had a few suggestions..

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I mean if they’re not offering him any kind of training what do they expect

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I don’t personally give a gently caress about Mr. Holt there but the condition of that control panel is causing me serious mental instability.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
make him a mod

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

why would you apply for a technical job with no experience and no training?

why would you hire someone to a technical job with no experience and no training program?

lol all around.

Just grind it until they fire you chase and enjoy them bucks buddy

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Operate the machine, Chase.

Clippy But Cool
Nov 14, 2013

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I don’t personally give a gently caress about Mr. Holt there but the condition of that control panel is causing me serious mental instability.

Wow opposite who gives a f about these wires I'm sure someone will figure it out, Chase get that money.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Wendigee posted:

why would you apply for a technical job with no experience and no training?
Safe to say the job description was probably not brilliant.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

on the one hand, I'd probably end up kind of depressed being paid so much just to press butan all day with only knowing the right way to press butan and not why or if this does anything useful at all, but on the other that's a pretty good wage for a job that apparently doesn't require any special knowledge or training! only way it could be better is if there was a way to finagle it so the machine operated itself and you effectively got paid to play video games and surf the web all day, which doesn't seem too unlikely given these morons already aren't testing applicants to see if they can actually operate the machine in question

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I thought this was about that dog from Paw Patrol who'd been cancelled

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought this was about that dog from Paw Patrol who'd been cancelled

Oh, whoops...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hmm how do I find one of these jobs... :smug: I can push buttons.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hmm how do I find one of these jobs... :smug: I can push buttons.

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Oh my God, I was not expecting to see that terrible cable management on those console panels. I used to have to wire those things up at my previous job and its a bit of a pain. You would have no idea what goes or does where if you didn't have a wiring diagram.

Also you do not operate those machines unless it had a HMI attached to the module itself. And even then its just a touchscreen with windows XP on it. Industrial technology is literally 20 years behind on the times.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Oh, whoops...

gently caress, i got the hiccups :haw:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I cant get over that loving terrible cable management in that panel. Jesus.

I was paid 11 an hour to provide the layout and wire those things up and I just loving know people who did that job that Chase was standing in front of got paid at least 30. Literally eats me up inside. Here is some of the work I have done.

Pansy is a goon tanking group that prides itself as being the only LGTBQ clan on a MMO that hates LGTBQ stuff. Obviously I didn't use that wire marker to label on a Schneider Electric contact block. I just did it because nobody believed me when I was telling people I wired stuff up for a living barely living off of poverty wages. Whatever helped out with school I guess!

E- Also, I must stress. The machine behind him has to be turned off due to safety reasons. So the machine being open like that so you can see its guts is either for maintenance reasons or he has to fix whatever is wrong with the machine. Either or all he has to do is look at the wiring diagram provided by the company to know what needs to be connected where. Wire crimpers, and maybe replacement wire (In his situation 12 AWG) would do the trick. Simple poo poo.

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 4, 2021

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I hate seeing terrible cable management, I don't wire, but design cabinets, program plcs, and make hmi screens. I also troubleshoot, so bad cabling makes me mad

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

dervinosdoom posted:

I hate seeing terrible cable management, I don't wire, but design cabinets, program plcs, and make hmi screens. I also troubleshoot, so bad cabling makes me mad

I had a boss who was real big into World of Warcraft and would watch Azmongold or whatever the gently caress his name is while he would crack his whip on how much we didn't vaccum enough from the console panel because he found one loving hair of wire shavings from a wire stripper.

He would also tug really really loving hard at the wire because for some reason the poo poo comes loose during operation even though the loving thing does not vibrate unless a horn is attached to the machine itself. So he was just doing that to be a massive prick. Mind you had to use a TB screwdriver to tighten down the screw to clamp the wire. So what the gently caress. Thats not rocket science but he had to use his entire arm strength to test to see if it can be pulled apart for any reason.

A console panel, basically operating the power connections for a cotton gin. loving lmao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
what is that machine. also it appears to have a 5 port netgear switch balanced on it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What's with the segue into the MMO discussion? I feel like I'm missing something

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Katamari Democracy posted:

I had a boss who was real big into World of Warcraft and would watch Azmongold or whatever the gently caress his name is while he would crack his whip on how much we didn't vaccum enough from the console panel because he found one loving hair of wire shavings from a wire stripper.

He would also tug really really loving hard at the wire because for some reason the poo poo comes loose during operation even though the loving thing does not vibrate unless a horn is attached to the machine itself. So he was just doing that to be a massive prick. Mind you had to use a TB screwdriver to tighten down the screw to clamp the wire. So what the gently caress. Thats not rocket science but he had to use his entire arm strength to test to see if it can be pulled apart for any reason.

A console panel, basically operating the power connections for a cotton gin. loving lmao

Acshully!!!! Wires do have a tendency to expand and contract and loosen off on ac systems which is why inspectors get nervous when they see a mix of copper and aluminum wiring in a home inspection unless the wires go to a plug or switch that is rated for the metal the wire is made out of.

He likely found that out the hard way and so he tuggin now!

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Smythe posted:

what is that machine. also it appears to have a 5 port netgear switch balanced on it.

you are correct. But its Schneider Electric that makes those modems. Its used to program a PLC thats connected to an HMI. Or you can plug in a laptop, log into a V-Machine that runs windows XP, and communicate with it.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Acshully!!!! Wires do have a tendency to expand and contract and loosen off on ac systems which is why inspectors get nervous when they see a mix of copper and aluminum wiring in a home inspection unless the wires go to a plug or switch that is rated for the metal the wire is made out of.

He likely found that out the hard way and so he tuggin now!

This makes sense. Doh!

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

Great. The feds are gonna see this picture and go pick him up now :proof:

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Katamari, are you a PLC programmer too? If so, what brands? I'm 99% Allen Bradley with a little bit of Siemens

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

dervinosdoom posted:

Katamari, are you a PLC programmer too? If so, what brands? I'm 99% Allen Bradley with a little bit of Siemens

I did a little bit. I had an Arduino that I learned the basics from. But nothing serious. My supervisor was the programmer at the time when he was teaching me electrical coding. It's pretty wild.

Allen Bradley and Siemens is pretty common. Schneider is pricier and only big boy industries use them.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm situated right by all the big steel mills in northwest indiana and they are all running AB for the most part. But back to the OP, can we get Chase another job?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

dervinosdoom posted:

I'm situated right by all the big steel mills in northwest indiana and they are all running AB for the most part.

You mean to tell me there are other manufactures who make control blocks besides AB? :psyduck:

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Siemens. I used to wire up control cabinets. But I made pretty good money doing it. I loved it, very zen job.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

lmao

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I don't think even Chase would gently caress that up as much as certified Dr hugebrain Slotin did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

One more because I had already started it.