Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Y'all will never convince me to watch the anime robot loving show, spiders or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muffler
Feb 12, 2021

by sebmojo
imagine* fat girl magic was real but only when focused on a gay teenage thousand year old vampire and only because said gay teenage thousand year old vampire was versed in "big rough and tough, big boy buttfucking magic" rules that every government agency in the world played by and you happened to be a thousand year old gay teenage vampire and the target of a fat girl hex and the only reason the biggest gayest buttfuckingest vampires allowed you to continue living was because every moment of your life was reliving the most humiliating moments of it in some sort of bizarre illuminati celebration of the failure of the public school system and what diligent sex slaves it creates and somewhere along the way your relentless blogging turns you into an underground internet sensation because your stream of consciousness is not only universally relatable but self explanatory and theoretically could be backed up but now that you've finally aged a year to make up for the past seventy everyone you care to think of is a "different person" and "married" and wishes you'd just start having rough sex with strangers and let go of all of that childish desire for companionship and intimacy and you're forced to once again face the reality that when a man feeds his daughter too much or too little you end up with bechtol tests and college graduates who wear fursuits or my little pony costumes to "conventions" and are on the face both boring and weird enough that they become the in-your-face shakers and movers of the most ghost in the shell like intelligence/government agency underground railroad sort of programs and when shown the actual scale of what they're involved in the fat witches come to regret meddling in the affairs of those cursed with immortality while an angry she-pire who can't for the life of her figure out why one of their own kind would act this stupid rolls her eyes and dreams of you calling her up on an emergency line at three in the morning to announce "HA HA YOU DUMB BITCH YOU'RE PRESIDENT"

muffler fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 4, 2021

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Colonel Cancer posted:

Y'all will never convince me to watch the anime robot loving show, spiders or not.

Dracula gets shot in the dick a la Robocop

Spider titties

Werewolf al-qaeda

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Space Man didnt kiss the space spider.
2/10 it sucked

Giant lesbian MMA monster thou
10/10 Top Shelf

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah the monster MMA was loving tops. I also liked the Zima Blue one. And Lucky 13.

Just a lot of great episodes honestly.

muffler
Feb 12, 2021

by sebmojo
basically kids when you graduate from being the biggest toughest hardest to kill hood rat in the entirety of a city's outskirts they reintroduce you to society with dopamine and testosterone blockers and use controlled social interactions to "reset", or make you feel "born again" into the least influential of the 'liberal elite' and you're supposed to feel some sort of sense of enlightenment knowing you are now allowed to make enough money to sleep or be otherwise romantically involved with people who have been sexually active with no immediate consequence for a decade longer than you and that's pretty much only if you're not only really smart and social and sensitive but find a community of even bigger fuckups to hide out among and even they can't save you from the pratfalls of being any type of sexual being and how empty anyone seeking escape from their family or routine and intertwined with the internet can be made

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
the webs where actually dried cum from all the ropes he shot while getting his freak on

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aardvark! posted:

i watched the first one of season 2 and it was so boring i havent watched any more. oh wow a cleaning robot that tries to kill you. epic. 15 minutes of that? great
And then they do "crazy murderous household robot" again in the same 8 episode series except now it's in space.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Applewhite posted:

She has the frame of reference of his memories, IMO.

She also controls the dream. She could put a spider monster in the dream as a neutral NPC to acclimatize him to her visage.

So are the spider people the original portal builders do you think?

The short is a little different than the story but in the story Greta is not the builders, as they are long gone. The station isn’t just off course, it’s 150 years off course, and the hibernation pods that the other two were in failed. The navigator is always dead - in the story the captain is just trying to explain how boned they are to her, which she can’t handle, and the whole thing is just something manufactured by Greta for the captain to do so that he stays in the simulation.

Gretas motivations aren’t clear. She is helping but also may be trapping lifeforms in the station, which is way the gently caress outside of the Milky Way. The story indicates that the station should be acting as a relay to human space for other aliens but Greta isn’t letting that happen for some reason. Also what Greta is is much more vague, and there are other similar entities on the real station.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

My Lovely Horse posted:

And then they do "crazy murderous household robot" again in the same 8 episode series except now it's in space.

2nd one was better.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Greta is not really a spider, the captain did not really awaken to the real world, it is merely another in a series of illusions. She is subjecting him to a series of tests to learn about him.
They definitely hosed though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zachack posted:

Gretas motivations aren’t clear. She is helping but also may be trapping lifeforms in the station, which is way the gently caress outside of the Milky Way. The story indicates that the station should be acting as a relay to human space for other aliens but Greta isn’t letting that happen for some reason. Also what Greta is is much more vague, and there are other similar entities on the real station.

IIRC it's not that she's not letting it happen so much as nobody who ends up there is trying to use it as a relay because it'd take 300 years to do that, they all end up there because of routing errors. All of the long-distance links that would let you travel from one part of the Milky Way to another broke, so the network only lets you travel around your local area of space: but the extragalactic links still exist, so while in theory it's still possible to travel between different regions of the milky way by travelling out to the Magellanic Cloud and back, it's not something people do deliberately because it takes centuries (and also probably none of them know the extragalactic links exist)

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
the spider and its species occupy the intergalactic niche of feeding off those who discover wormhole travel and inevitably encouter routing errors. they place their webs in these locations to catch them. this is their food. i don't think it makes them evil, they clearly try to make the process as painless as possible. once you leave the galaxy your chance of hitting anything is basically zero anyway, that ship would have sailed right into the heat death of the universe. at least he got some spider sex out of it is basically what i'm trying to say

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

there's a :nws: comic :nws: of the episode referenced in the op

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
all of these people shitposting and not trying to explain beyond the aquila rift are making me super furious btw

if you're wondering how spider aliens could even evolve to occupy that niche, i would direct you to any of the parasites who have a complex life cycle involving multiple organisms
just watch 'upstream color' and have yourself a nice pseudointellectual wank

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So I just read the short story and it was a lot clearer than the show.

But it also makes a lot less sense that the captain was unable to cope. He had much more time to adjust and she warned him a little better. The station wasn't as horrifying and he never really got a good look at Greta.

Also both crewmen have been dead the entire time in the story, which makes Suzy attacking Greta make even less sense in the episode.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Applewhite posted:

On balance, Love, Death and Robots is not particularly good.

i think this is worth stressing again

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
I loving loved the first series. Peter F Hamilton and Alistair Reynolds are great. All the other episodes were great too.

The second season wasn’t very good. The Drowned Giant was the only one I thought was interesting but I think that’s only because I was very stoned.

E: I wish to clarify that I was very stoned for all of them, as one must, but that couldn’t even save most of season 2

Automatic Retard fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 4, 2021

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Why make a second season if we don't get to see the robots gently caress

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I didn't like The Drowned Giant because it is an obvious metaphor for a beach whale.

There is no way that the local government wouldn't have sent the army to guard it and study it.

quick edit: For the spider, I am in the camp that she mean no harm but just suck at taking care of human.

Why the crewmate denonce the simulation even if he was dead? Maybe she wasn't always dead and it's bake in the simulation now or she want the captain to accept the reality that they are stuck, or both!

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 5, 2021

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Season 2 feels way less creative then the first. I think the one I liked the most was the one with the kids and ice whale thing

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The "Santa" one was the worst.

Ice Whales was really cool.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

My Lovely Horse posted:

Which episode was this because I clearly wasn't paying attention. Season 1 was definitely better.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Atticus_1354 posted:

Which episode was this because I clearly wasn't paying attention. Season 1 was definitely better.

The one with Michael B Jordan

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

The Bloop posted:

The one with Michael B Jordan

Oh yeah. That one was very disappointing. Felt like it just didn't go anywhere.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Applewhite posted:

On balance, Love, Death and Robots is not particularly good.

It's incredibly shallow. Just, goddamn. I don't think every story needs a twist or a message of some kind but, poo poo, is it too much to expect some kind of reason for all the pretty pictures? Most episodes feel like you're watching a professional artist working on a coloring book. Yeah, that's some bomb-rear end shading but how many of these can I sit through?

Arkanomen posted:

Space Man didnt kiss the space spider.
2/10 it sucked

Giant lesbian MMA monster thou
10/10 Top Shelf

Sonnie's Edge is really grimdark and probably in bad taste (you know, with all the rape talk and rape imagery) but it's doing all that so you don't read into it or see the twist coming. It even says that at the end. There's some details that take on new meaning when you watch it a second time and some cool imagery.

So that's probably the best one. They shouldn't have opened with it, though. The big trick would've worked even better after the other episodes bore you to death.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I saw the one with the giant penis. Too much giant, not enough penis. 3/10 stars.

Also I incorrectly guessed it was Steven Millhauser story but actually it was J.G. Ballard.

If you're going to adapt a J.G. Ballard story, do High Rise Next time, idiots.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Sonnie's Edge is really grimdark and probably in bad taste (you know, with all the rape talk and rape imagery) but it's doing all that so you don't read into it or see the twist coming. It even says that at the end. There's some details that take on new meaning when you watch it a second time and some cool imagery.

So that's probably the best one. They shouldn't have opened with it, though. The big trick would've worked even better after the other episodes bore you to death.

Weirdly, it was set up so that the episodes are displayed in different orders for different users. I got Three Robots first.

I loved Zima Blue and Lucky 13. Beyond the Aquila Rift was good but not as good as the short story. Sonnie's Edge was good but also a bit iffy due to the reasons you already got into, but I thought it was still better than the short story. The Secret War was pretty good, mostly because of the last few minutes. I liked Good Hunting.

Overall, I thought the entire series suffered for its reliance on the Heavy Metal formula of "violence and tits = adult entertainment."

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
funny how when a spider monster uses spooky alien magic to trick someone into thinking it is someone else inorder to have sex with person goons go on for a whole page trying to explain the spider monsters motivations, but when a frat boy puts on a darthvader helmet and does the same thing suddenly it is "problematic"

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The spider made him nut so much that he's dying.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tree Bucket posted:

All the ships have to be covered in the right symbols and syntax to ensure the aeons-old coding in the wormhole network shoots you off to where you actually want to go.

Sounds like flight of the runewright. Same guy?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Milo and POTUS posted:

Sounds like flight of the runewright. Same guy?

Nope; different guy. Cool idea though. (Our spider story is by Alistair Reynolds, who is really really into space being depressing, and keeps finding increasingly elaborate reasons for his characters to suffer various amputations. I think he's British?)

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 5, 2021

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nooner posted:

funny how when a spider monster uses spooky alien magic to trick someone into thinking it is someone else inorder to have sex with person goons go on for a whole page trying to explain the spider monsters motivations, but when a frat boy puts on a darthvader helmet and does the same thing suddenly it is "problematic"

The difference is the spider monster is sympathetic.

Jk but for real I just assumed it went without saying the sex was problematic.

My issue was with him losing his mind about being on a spider station. Yeah it’s yucky but as long as communication is possible he can handle the situation rationally IMO.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I liked the episode with the lesbian battle monsters. Boom! Pow! Skutch!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I can't believe they ripped off an Oglaf comic.(NSFW)

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

watched season 2 the last night. they did not expand on alien spider sex unfortunately.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I liked a fair few of the episodes in the first season, Zima Blue and Lucky 13 were my favorites by far, but the only good S2 episode is the Santa one.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

My take was that she was good and trying to break the truth to him gently, she was comforting him with sex because she understands that humans like that and doing it makes him feel good and content with the situation.

What she doesn't understand is that when the guy finally she's her for what she really is and realises that is what he's been loving this whole time it's too much for him and causes his mind to break. So she resets everything and tries again but slightly different to try avoid the mental break.

If Greta did the whole thing again but left out the sex, the guy would probs be more accepting of the situation but she doesn't understand humans correctly so she just keeps going with what she thinks he wants, which is ultimately whats going to destroy his mind and prevent him from accepting the truth.

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 17, 2022

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
You just brought up bad memories of my friends renting the anime Wicked City from Blockbuster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Zima Blue was the best of both seasons