Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Chrome was fine until about a year ago. Edge got better about 9 months ago.

I use Firefox at home but this update from this week sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Comstar posted:

Yeah. Who the hell asked for this?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I heard OP can suck the Chrome right off your laptop

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

That loving Sned posted:

You have to right-click in the empty space just to the right of the tab for the option.

How is Google a real company

UI design is my passion

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

does chrome support <marquee> html?

this is important

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

Yeah. Who the hell asked for this?

It's so hideous. I finally ditched IE when the version 9 came out and it was so lovely and ugly. This update might spur another reluctant change.

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
i started using edge on a little mini pc i got for streaming/browseing in my room (yeah haha, edging in my room, grow the gently caress up) and it has the tabs like firefox just killed off. overall its similar enough. i started doing some weird thing though where im not using the bookmarks toolbar, but instead opening a new tab and using the links there for some stupid reason, but its nice not having 6 inches of toolbar as others have pointed out itt. i'm an old person online, and that's perfectly fine, for me.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
One thing to know for everyone that likes Edge: at some point in the future both Chrome and Edge are gonna have shittier ad blocking, whenever Google turns off the function that current adblocking relies on. When that happens is unknown, Google has said that they're not removing Manifest V2 (the good one) for "at least a year" after Manifest V3 (the bad one), and Manifest V3 came out three months ago.

The alt-chrome browsers like Vivaldi & Opera will continue to support the current method so they'll be fine, and Firefox also won't change.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Oh Don Piano posted:

(yeah haha, edging in my room, grow the gently caress up)

i won't

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
remember "don't be evil" lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Comstar posted:

Chrome was fine until about a year ago. Edge got better about 9 months ago.

Waterfox Classic my friend

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Looks like I'm going to stick with Vivaldi, how thrilling.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I thought you guys were kidding about the firefox update but this is lol

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
my vision isn't the best due to keratoconus and with the new Firefox it can be a struggle to work out what tab is selected.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Hammerite posted:

remember "don't be evil" lol

Didn't they remove that slogan from all their poo poo when they realized that being evil means more money?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

EorayMel posted:

How many people unironically use microsoft edge in 2021

i use it for work you turkey

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

EorayMel posted:

How many people unironically use microsoft edge in 2021

edge has been good since last year when it updated with chromium

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

stinch posted:

my vision isn't the best due to keratoconus and with the new Firefox it can be a struggle to work out what tab is selected.

Mozilla has talked a lot of talk about accessibility & underserved markets in the past, but then they went and released a UI redesign with zero contrast and crap appearance on cheap screens.

But anyways you can get themes with more contrast, here's a inoffensive one I found quickly.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Narzack posted:

Didn't they remove that slogan from all their poo poo when they realized that being evil means more money?

Yeah when being as evil as possible became their entire business plan it just didn’t quite work anymore as a slogan.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

What's the problem? Don't! Be evil.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
I haven't checked this myself, but with regards to the new Firefox crappy interface, there is a setting in "about:config" called browser.proton.enabled - set it to "false".

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Chrome supports formats such as PDF files and .txt

Come on down to Chrome

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bula Vinaka posted:

I haven't checked this myself, but with regards to the new Firefox crappy interface, there is a setting in "about :config" called browser.proton.enabled - set it to "false".

Unfortunately that will go away with the next update.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Chrome supports formats such as PDF files and .txt

Come on down to Chrome

The future is now

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Has anyone said Netscape Navigator yet LMAO

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Big Beef City posted:

I think you mean GOAT

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Big Beef City posted:

it should be brought back

let's start this as the next goon project

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

sharknado slashfic posted:

I thought you guys were kidding about the firefox update but this is lol

I gave up on Firefox when they did that major overhaul like two years ago that rendered every single existing add on useless.

Waterfox Classic supremacy.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

Close your goddamn tabs you tab hoarders. One tab should be enough for everything. You finish your business on the one site, close the tab and only then move on to the next site

Firefox mobile has had the infinity sign on my phone for months now. Triggered?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Hey, no one use the phone for about four hours I have to download the new Chrome!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

You know what Chrome? Let me get a peep o' da puddi.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I installed the latest version of Vivaldi, but the text is kinda blurry on the tabs and text inside the webpages doesn't really look as bold or sharp as in Firefox. What sort of setting would that be? I'm not even close to a typography type dude.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Narzack posted:

I installed the latest version of Vivaldi, but the text is kinda blurry on the tabs and text inside the webpages doesn't really look as bold or sharp as in Firefox. What sort of setting would that be? I'm not even close to a typography type dude.

Instead of installing Vivaldi did your glasses just fall off again

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

Instead of installing Vivaldi did your glasses just fall off again

Most likely. I actually need to get new ones, because these bastards are getting stressed on my fat head and are loose again.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Narzack posted:

Chrome (and Vivaldi) has different font rendering than firefox, and being softer / "blurry" is just the deal. There's not much you can do to change it. It's one of the biggest reasons I've stuck with firefox despite my growing hate for mozilla corp.

The downside of firefox's sharp rendering is that it doesn't look as good with bad fonts. Like you know how sometimes with firefox you go to a website that's trying to be a fancy magazine, and they have some weird font, and it looks jagged or pixelated? Chrome's rendering looks better on those.

Since google has become the foremost purveyor of crappy webfonts being churned out by the hundreds, they want chrome to look good in all conditions.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I looked up gundams once on chrome and now everything is gundams. Ive got gundams coming out of my digital ears

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm still using Edge OP. Really liking it actually. BITCXH

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

That loving Sned posted:

You have to right-click in the empty space just to the right of the tab for the option.

How is Google a real company

Just updated chrome now.
Still keeping the extension since it lets me pick from a list of recently closed tabs. Pretty convenient.

Chrome is still garbage though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
My favorite thing with chrome is how they keep adding new features, letting people disable those features, then when they realize everyone's turning them off because they're obtrusive and suck; they take away the ability to turn them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Hopefully Firefox fixes their browser before chrome tanks adblock, I'm more likely to stop going to a website than I am to look at it's ads