Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

90s Solo Cup posted:

Maybe not on your special snowflake mac poo poo.

You know things are hosed when you have to d/l an extension to replace what used to be a built-in feature.

just hit CTRL - SHIFT - T to open the last closed tab

works in edge too which is the best browser

oh and ya'll should download sponsorblock for youtube, it lets people mark where in-video ads are and automatically skips them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

AEMINAL posted:

just hit CTRL - SHIFT - T to open the last closed tab

works in edge too which is the best browser

oh and ya'll should download sponsorblock for youtube, it lets people mark where in-video ads are and automatically skips them

Haha gently caress you google

Ppl may prefer u, but nobody likes u

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Klyith posted:

Chrome (and Vivaldi) has different font rendering than firefox, and being softer / "blurry" is just the deal. There's not much you can do to change it. It's one of the biggest reasons I've stuck with firefox despite my growing hate for mozilla corp.

The downside of firefox's sharp rendering is that it doesn't look as good with bad fonts. Like you know how sometimes with firefox you go to a website that's trying to be a fancy magazine, and they have some weird font, and it looks jagged or pixelated? Chrome's rendering looks better on those.

Since google has become the foremost purveyor of crappy webfonts being churned out by the hundreds, they want chrome to look good in all conditions.

Well, ain't that some poo poo. Thanks for explaining it, though.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
has anyone said netscape navigator yet

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

want to give the designer of the chrome icon a wedgie, its just such lazy design

feller
Jul 5, 2006

How the heck did the microsoft browser become the hipster one

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Firefox is fine, you guys.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

yikes! posted:

How the heck did the microsoft browser become the hipster one

Time is a flat circle.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If I'm tabbed out of a YouTube page in chrome for too long now the entire page resets back to the start of the video.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
I just installed the "Tab Counter" addon so I could learn that uh

thanks firefox

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Big Beef City posted:

So long gay browser

the browser said the n word

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I'm still using Vivaldi.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

I just installed the "Tab Counter" addon so I could learn that uh

thanks firefox

this is mental illness

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I thought my 17 was on the medium-high side

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm still using Vivaldi.

it just works

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
So I insisted on using Waterfox Classic because of the "tab mix plus" thing not working on modern Firefox. I finally gave up because I was getting ads on Youtube, so I installed the modern Firefox.

It turns out some crazy hacker figured out how to get multi-row tabs back! You have to use Firefox Nightly for god knows what reason, but it works! Only took 3 years!

Here's the add-on:

https://github.com/numirias/paxmod

Now my tabs look like this in Firefox:

instead of this worthless poo poo Chrome does:

hope this helps someone else out there! :tipshat:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

hope this helps someone else out there! :tipshat:

you are an absolute saint thank you

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Code Jockey posted:

you are an absolute saint thank you

You're welcome! I've been literally looking for like four years lol

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

instead of this worthless poo poo Chrome does:

What the everliving gently caress

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Stop having so many tabs you weirdos.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Duck and Cover posted:

My 100+ tabs says " Tabs are cool and good, and we are your friend. Forever your friend"

I'm inclined to trust the tabs, tbh

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Archiving and digital hoarding is not the same thing folks.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I use Microsoft Edge but I find it unfulfilling.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

syntaxfunction posted:

I think fishmech eventually learned that

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I use Microsoft Edge but I find it unfulfilling.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Hoarding tv/movies you may never watch, good. Hoarding websites, weird. I have spoken and so it shall be.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Oh Don Piano posted:

i dont even own a browser

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

cant tell if edge is actually better than chrome now or if this is a massive goon plot to own me

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
It's both, by means of a reverse double sideways bluff.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
For anyone taking my advice for multi-row tabs in Firefox Nightly, here's the settings I highly recommend in Paxmod:

It will give you back the "down arrow" to the right of the URL bar, and every tab will be a nice uniform size. My settings also got rid of this weird empty white space that was annoying me to no end.

On to a different subject, a big reason I also just left Chrome was the search history maxes out at 90 days which is just lol (makes sense because Google wants you to search for poo poo in their search engine, not easily find it in your history bar!).

Anyway is there a way to make Firefox remember all of your history, forever? From what I am reading it looks like it will remember up to a certain point, which Firefox will determine based on how much hard drive space you have left. I don't really care about hard drive space, and there's been more than a few times where I was able to find something from 7 years ago on the old version of Firefox and it saved my rear end, so I'd like to make sure the current Firefox is doing that too.

I would also like to note that my laptop fan no longer spins like crazy with the new Firefox and it doesn't even get hot any more. God chrome was such a piece of poo poo. I was just too lazy to switch but am so glad I did.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Oh and I highly recommend the add on "Imagus". https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/imagus/

It's like HoverZoom but I find it works a lot better. In fact, you can be reading a thread that has twitter embeds (like the Trump thread) and you can just place your mouse over the pic in the twitter embed and it will blow it up for you. So you can see full Twitter embed pics without having to click on the tweet, then open Twitter, then click on the pic. Such a huge timesaver. Firefox....more like FireROCKS!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Anyway is there a way to make Firefox remember all of your history, forever? From what I am reading it looks like it will remember up to a certain point, which Firefox will determine based on how much hard drive space you have left. I don't really care about hard drive space, and there's been more than a few times where I was able to find something from 7 years ago on the old version of Firefox and it saved my rear end, so I'd like to make sure the current Firefox is doing that too.

about∶config, places.history.expiration.max_pages (if that does not exist, select the number radio button and hit the + to add it)

the max value is 2147483647

But there's a reason that Firefox limits history. The problem isn't just HD space, history is a database and the bigger it gets the slower it is to search. So if you want a 7 year history you need to be okay with a 5 minute wait when you open the history tab.

(Firefox's SQL implementation also has some really terrible performance with some operations, most notably deletes. I think because it does things in the most pessimistically safe way. Having your history get corrupted was a common thing in the early years of FF.)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

about∶config, places.history.expiration.max_pages (if that does not exist, select the number radio button and hit the + to add it)

the max value is 2147483647

But there's a reason that Firefox limits history. The problem isn't just HD space, history is a database and the bigger it gets the slower it is to search. So if you want a 7 year history you need to be okay with a 5 minute wait when you open the history tab.

(Firefox's SQL implementation also has some really terrible performance with some operations, most notably deletes. I think because it does things in the most pessimistically safe way. Having your history get corrupted was a common thing in the early years of FF.)

Ah okay, thank you! I suppose I could always just delete any history older than 6 months or something if it gets really slow.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ah okay, thank you! I suppose I could always just delete any history older than 6 months or something if it gets really slow.

The sane way to go is start from whatever your max pages is now (the number firefox auto-picks based on hardware is places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages), and add 50%. Then add another 50% after a few months if you haven't seen any bad performance.

If you have a ludicrously huge history, deleting everything older than 6 months will take many hours.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

The sane way to go is start from whatever your max pages is now (the number firefox auto-picks based on hardware is places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages), and add 50%. Then add another 50% after a few months if you haven't seen any bad performance.

If you have a ludicrously huge history, deleting everything older than 6 months will take many hours.

Thank you, you kick rear end.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

There's some reason I always end up going back to Chrome, but I can't ever remember what it is.

I just fired Edge up for the first time in forever and it seems Totally Fine so I guess I'll keep using it until whatever that reason is pops up.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

In fact, you can be reading a thread that has twitter embeds (like the Trump thread) and you can just place your mouse over the pic in the twitter embed and it will blow it up for you. So you can see full Twitter embed pics without having to click on the tweet, then open Twitter, then click on the pic.

What is this wizardry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

sharknado slashfic posted:

What is this wizardry

It's awesome, check it out. In this example, my mouse is hovered over the bottom left twitter pic