Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Bucks vs Death Duo 48 59.26%
Cage and Boy vs Private Party 12 14.81%
Velvet vs Bunny 8 9.88%
Mr. Freakbeast vs The Natural in a Bullrope Match 13 16.05%
Total: 81 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Ganso Bomb posted:

Which AEW debuts have gone well? BBB, Andrade, Christian, and Miro are some that come to mind as being somewhat lackluster. I mean, I loved the BBB debut because I already loved them on the indies but it was clear it didn't go over well with everyone.

Obviously those people have all bounced back (and Andrade will) but I wonder if it's just a thing Tony has trouble hitting the mark on.

Overall a bit of a rocky episode for me. A couple of high spots but the Cody/QT stuff is mind numbingly boring to me and I like QT. Also felt like maybe some things ran long because the main event felt rushed. I think if they had another 3-5 minutes to slow the pace a bit more it may have flowed better.

Also, thank gently caress Velvet is (I assume) okay. That dive was terrifying to watch happen!

Brian Cage debuting straight into a match where he did awesome poo poo and beat everyone up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CarlCX posted:

Brian Cage debuting straight into a match where he did awesome poo poo and beat everyone up.

and had a mouth full of blue dye for some reason

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CarlCX posted:

Ah yeah, debuting directly into a match is almost always good. Way better track record for that kind of stuff versus standalone debuts.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Did FTR start the trend of driving vehicles into Daily's? That was hilarious and had such a good payoff (Sue in the van)

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Miro's debut was good because he wore a cool outfit

BBB's debut is one of the all-time classic AEW moments, wouldn't change a thing

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

A talking coyote posted:

The only good debuts have been

1. Sting: just from pure wow factor and Tony’s “ITS STIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!”

2. Matt Hardy: he didn’t do much but Jericho sold him as a legitimate threat

3. Brodie Lee: came out and immediately started whupping rear end.

If you're only counting Dynamite, yes. Otherwise, Mox, easily.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Orange Cassidy was my favorite

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
drat I guessed Andrade was gonna be at DoN and I was only a few days off.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Moxley busting in at the end of the first Double Or Nothing is maybe the height of AEW debuts but not everyone can come in at the end of a show, get a big pop, and immediately whip rear end on one of the biggest guys in the company. It also helped that Moxley didn't need the time to really settle in and find the nuances of his character that a lot of other big debuts (Ethan Page, Matt Hardy, Archer a little bit, arguably Brodie) did.

E: also I'm only really counting guys who came in for the first time so for example Will Hobbs rushing in to back up Moxley doesn't count even though it fuckin kicked rear end because he was already a known guy on Dark.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 5, 2021

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Evil Badman posted:

If you're only counting Dynamite, yes. Otherwise, Mox, easily.

I didn’t start watching till dynamite

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The bullrope match was good enough for me to forgive that episode for being kinda weak, extremely disappointed that AEW is picking up rejects from other places now, though. Clearly they tried to get a member of the incredibly successful LIJ to show up and couldn't so they got one of their hangers-on instead. Shame.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

A talking coyote posted:

The only good debuts have been

1. Sting: just from pure wow factor and Tony’s “ITS STIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!”

2. Matt Hardy: he didn’t do much but Jericho sold him as a legitimate threat

3. Brodie Lee: came out and immediately started whupping rear end.

Maki Itoh's US debut was great

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CarlCX posted:

It was great, but I still laugh at his initial theme song stinger being Taz just blandly saying :geno: "Who can stop the path of Cage." before they put any effects on it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://streamable.com/pspot0

Is it too early for Andrade to get a licensed track?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

If I recall correctly, Kingston’s debut was outstanding because he started with a mic against his mouth

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Cage walked out and ripped a ladder apart.

Even if you didn't know who he was it was an "oh gently caress, this dude is a monster" moment.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Pylons posted:

Obviously this is an insanely sick choice, but man playing any song whatsoever would have really made this come off a lot better lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I liked Ricky's debut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvQvVpPsp8Y

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I don't think Miro's debut itself was bad.

Maybe people's perception is being colored by how he ended up spinning his wheels in the feud with Best Friends that lasted longer than it should have.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Any debut that doesn’t involve the announcers screaming IS IT? COULD IT BE? IT IS! WHAT THE HELL?? is good

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Pylons posted:

lord that would be incredible

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
just finished the episode don’t think it will destroy aew. was v surprised by andrade because im high and drunk from watching hockey all day. it’s a good time of year you know, sports

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

WatermelonGun posted:

just finished the episode don’t think it will destroy aew. was v surprised by andrade because im high and drunk from watching hockey all day. it’s a good time of year you know, sports

i was genuinely not expecting andrade and was thinking about all the matches he could have too much to think about the debut being kind of bad. it was a fine show, all these friday shows are gonna be kinda holding patterny, idk what yall expected they go till 12 est

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The fact that Tony decided to just throw Andrade, which is objectively a massive get, out there in Q2 of a holding pattern-rear end Dynamite in the middle of the show being preempted for infinity weeks instead of waiting until Fyter Fest or at least until that big Saturday show that they want to be a big deal indicates to me that he might have be signing a lot of people from these releases.

As well he should, frankly.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Seams posted:

Any debut that doesn’t involve the announcers screaming IS IT? COULD IT BE? IT IS! WHAT THE HELL?? is good

Any debut that does involve the announcers screaming

What the hell's that?
THE BLADE! THE BLADE EMERGING FROM UNDERNEATH THE RING!
Who is it?
THE BLADE! ...AND HE HAS BLINDSIDED CODY! TAKEN HIM OU--
What's his motive?
AND THE BUTCHER! THE BUTCHER NOT FAR BEHIND, EMERGING!
Blade and the Butcher?
THE BUTCHER AND THE BLADE ARE LOOKING TO SOW CHAOS HERE!
We have not seen these two men in AEW before, have we?
WE HAVE NOT SEEN THEM BEFORE, THE BUTCHER AND THE BLADE....HAVE MADE THEIR PRESENCE FELT HERE IN AEW AT THE EXPENSE OF A WOUNDED CODY! AND--OH!!
Now what?
WELL NOW WE KNOW WHO BROUGHT THEM HERE — IT'S THE BUNNY, ALLIE! WE'VE GOT THE BUTCHER, THE BLADE, AND THE BUNNY!
I don't know what the hell's going on here, folks!

is great

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I kinda like how Andrade came out all calm and collected, one might almost call him...tranquil...

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

He has so much effortless swagger I think Andrade vs. Penta might be the coolest match in history.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
A year ago, Andrade vs. Orange Cassidy would have been a "lol tranquilo vs. sloth style" gimmick match but now it's a legitimate way to establish Andrade as a main event caliber guy lol

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

imo tony signed andrade like yesterday or the day before after a long negotiation period and is such a wrestling nerd that he wanted the debut asap because it's cool that they have andrade now. some spectacle would have been the right move but it's all good. imo

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just saw Red Velvet's dive to the outside how the gently caress is that lady now upright :stare:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sorry to announce that aew has been destroyed

Their plane was shot down over the Sea of New Japan. It spun in. There were no survivors.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Shinjobi posted:

Sorry to announce that aew has been destroyed

Their plane was shot down over the Sea of New Japan. It spun in. There were no survivors.

aw rats.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Definitely a weird show, I feel like the pre-emption gives things a different vibe. Not being in prime-time is probably more a factor than the day itself, but man I cannot wait for the NBA playoffs to be over. And I'm now entirely convinced TK made the right decision negotiating the move to TBS.

But I do think this actually helped the main event, which was the kind of brutal match you'd find on some late night territory show.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So it occurred to me.

Dynamite is gonna be preempted for the rest of June, right?
Pretty much every feud from the PPV got a "this ain't over" segment tonight, strongly implying all these fueds are gonna continue for another month.

I think these things may be related. :v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hahaha the Vickie segment.
man she stinks

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

1) Penta and PAC vs Young Bucks. Not a title match, it seems. Nice scumbag entourage entrance from the Bucks. Executive Vice-Stooge. Kaz takes out Nakazawa. I like that. PAC and Penta start off on the attack. PAC is so loving good. Everyone needs a young boy around. Excalibur does an ad read. Don says "Impact". We're sloppy tonight! But the match loving rules. gently caress beans, that snap German from PAC looked fatal. DOUBLE MASK PENTA! Wish we got a good look at it. Cutler getting directly involved in the finish. Bucks look to kill Penta post-bell, and HIS BEST FRIEND saves him! Really fun opener.

Mark Henry out to talk. drat, he has a world class voice. They raise him getting back in the ring. He's got a LOT left in the tank. Vickie out and clears the ring. Nuclear heat. This is a WEIRD intro for Andrade. He looks and sounds great, but this was... odd. The crowd look confused.

2) Cody Rhodes and Lee Johnson vs Anthony Ogogo and QT Marshall. Guv'nor's first tag match. Marshall takes most of the action on his side, but when Ogogo does come in, he looks pretty good. Johnson continues to be very talented, but I have rarely seen someone more in need of a charisma injection and a story unconnected to Cody. I enjoyed the ending to this one. Marshall gets the pin, but really it's that right cross from Ogogo. Nice.

Post-match I enjoy Marshall gloating over a tiny tiny victory. Personally I'd have done this at the PPV but politically I know they couldn't.

Inner Circle out, Jericho pulls an Oprah with free shirts. Jericho makes it explicit that this is Sammy's victory. Sammy used to do a 630 senton off his mom's back. Hager challenges Wardlow to an MMA cage fight in two weeks. OK, sure. Hager is a much more natural fit for the Pinnacle than the Inner Circle. Can we swap for Wardlow and just never mention it?

Kind of nothing Kenny promo.

3) Jungle Boy and Christian Cage vs Private Party. I kind of love the Private Party club gear. I like the AEW rainbow shirt. This is predictably pretty good, but nothing barn-burning. Great hot tag from Jungle Boy at the end. Just super-smooth, super-athletic stuff. Quen hooking the tights was nicely old school. I don't know WHAT that corner move from Jungle Boy was but it looked lethal.

Post bell Hardy attacks Cage. I'd watch that.

Next week, Hangmin and a Dark Order dude vs Hobbs and Cage.

Decent Sting and Darby segment. I like the logic of "yeah, you beat us with a legend. Try it with someone else"

Britt celebration. The Honks are in the ring! Nyla staring as Britt enters, like "this bitch...". I like the check under the seat, you get nothing, spot. I love Dr poo poo-Talker DMD. Nyla fucks poo poo up and leaves. Nice.

Eddie Kingston confronted by PAC and Penta. Nice.

4) The Bunny vs Red Velvet. Red Velvet with the rest of Big Red. Love Velvet just sashaying away from Bunny to dodge an attack. This is a really good, dynamic match. Bunny is never going to be a technician in the ring,but she knows ker-azy well. Velvet is becoming a great main card player. Nice reversed interference at the end too. Good victory for Velvet.

Miro scares the living poo poo out of everyone.

So, no Wednesday Dynamites this month?

5) Bull Rope Match. Comoroto vs Dustin. gently caress, this is hard hitting from the start. Comoroto just CHUCKS Rhodes into the ring. There's nothing technical going on here, but there's a lot of fun. FUEGO! FUEGO SAVES HIS DAD! I am so happy. This is chaotic, and I love the camera work. Dustin slams Comoroto onto the bell, and Comoroto KICKS OUT AT ONE. drat. Rhodes wins, which I think is a mistake, but this was a good match.

Uneven Dynamite. There were some very good parts, including the opening and closing matches, but the pace was weird. It felt like they were having to remember how to do a show with a crowd. They'll figure it out, but it will take time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Miro thanking God for his power and his wife for being hot in that order was loving magnificent.

SexMetalBarbie
Jun 1, 2021

by Shine
do you think Tony Khan might be a licensing some music for Mark Henry and Andrade, I mean everyone that comes into aew even for one single appearance gets a theme song and has an aew theme song except for these two who have walked out to silence now I understand Andrade tonight if you want to sell the fact that it wasn't planned and Vicky blindsided everyone. but why has Mark Henry shown up twice obviously completely planned with no music?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Bring Three 6 Mafia out of retirement for The World's Strongest Man, Tony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Overall Dynamite thoughts:

- Bringing Eddie back into Death Triangle's sphere is cool but man it would be great if those three could all avoid being injured/stuck in the UK for a while

- Andrade is awesome and gonna have so many great matches and aaaaaaaaaaa

- Team Taz is fine, HOOK's hair is FINE

- Cody putting Ogogo over now is so weird, if he was gonna do it he shoulda just done it at the PPV

- I really dig the Christian/Jungle Boy dynamic, I don't know if I dig Private Party wrestling in chinos but that's probably the point

- I have no idea who the face is in Britt/Nyla and I'm not sure AEW does either

- Bunny looks like she's improved a bunch since last summer, Velvet is made of rubber goddam

- Love Miro taking the first chance he can get to shout out CJ. He's such a Hot Wife Guy, really excited for Uno to get a title shot as well

- I was kinda meh on the Bullrope match. Comoroto shoulda won