Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

ChewyLSB posted:

This islands of insight pattern puzzle is driving me loving nuts.

I eventually just brute forced the stupid thing because I literally had no idea what it was going for.

Hahah I had to ask about this one online as well, kicked myself when people immediately pointed out what i'd missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I read the explanations of the last three posters but I still don't understand. Rearrange? Cover?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, I don't see it at all. And I'm usually really good at pattern recognition.
Maybe if you fold the pattern across the fourth dimension and do a Fourier Transform afterwards. I don't know.

And mathematically, any solution would technically complete the pattern, so those questions always felt unsatisfying to me.
If you ask me to continue the sequence
1,2,3,4 and I answer 0 and define the whole sequence as 1 2,3,4,0,0,0,0,0... that's not actually wrong.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 24, 2024

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Argue posted:

I read the explanations of the last three posters but I still don't understand. Rearrange? Cover?

I haven't played the game, but based on the images posted, it seems like the solution to the first puzzle was to color all shapes made from three squares black, and the rest white. For the second puzzle, draw diagonally connected black bars with decreasing lengths until the last piece is just a single black square.

BoldFace fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 24, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Oh hey, I didn't actually notice that you can discern the borders of the individual shapes on the given part.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Argue posted:

I was also very stumped by this puzzle and brute forced it by waiting for the hints to recharge. Also, reading the explanations in this thread, I still don't get it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Oenis posted:

I was also very stumped by this puzzle and brute forced it by waiting for the hints to recharge. Also, reading the explanations in this thread, I still don't get it.

BoldFace spelled it out. Areas consisting of 3 squares are black, the rest white. So the actual emerging pattern of the finished configuration is meaningless.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
it's a puzzle that requires you to stop thinking "what's the visual pattern I should be making" and start thinking "what's the rule behind why the pre-set colours are like this?"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I figured it out but had to use a few hints. I do have to say when I come across one of the multistarred puzzles it basically makes me feel like stopping for the night- they're way too complex compared to the others. Other than this (and the fractal puzzles, which are basically uncontrollable exercises in frustration), I'm loving the game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

fez_machine posted:

it's a puzzle that requires you to stop thinking "what's the visual pattern I should be making" and start thinking "what's the rule behind why the pre-set colours are like this?"

this is imo bad game design. good puzzle games can guide your way thinking without giving away solutions. they are trying to do the witness thing where they have many types of puzzles that are interacted with in the same way (painting squares black or white), but the witness clearly distinguishes between puzzle types and is good at teaching you how you should think about each one. in contrast, having two puzzle types where you have to approach them in completely different ways but not distinguishing between them in any way is just frustrating. i also had to brute force that puzzle, and i didn't know why the solution was what it was until i read this thread. glad i'm not alone, at least

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The game does distinguish between the different black/white square puzzle types, it's just that it's a different expression of the pattern type. I think the puzzle was mostly okay given that it was explicitly the hardest one in the enclave; there's only so much that can be done with that type, anyways.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 25, 2024

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Well there was another 5 star puzzle in the enclave, the binary one but I found that one piss easy, but it did already teach you that patterns aren't necessarily visual patterns

Also this is the coldest take ever but gently caress the fractal puzzles. I think I wouldn't hate them nearly as much if it wasn't bound to your god drat mouse, so its so hard to finely adjust one without inadvertantly changing the other (especially if you play at a high sensitivity like a freak like me does)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I think the solution to the fractal puzzles is to have a plain abstracted grid to the side that shows you the relative axial input position in the distribution of possible fractal inputs. Mouseover could then let you dictate your input with way greater precision.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They should just delete them instead

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Something I saw on Steam did help me, because I realized I wasn’t actually releasing the mouse often enough to let it actually check and verify it’s correct. That helped get a few done quicker, but also

The 7th Guest posted:

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Any recommendations on Escape Room style games? I've already gone through the Room series. Are the ones made by mc2games any good? Palindrome Syndrome etc.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Any recommendations on Escape Room style games? I've already gone through the Room series. Are the ones made by mc2games any good? Palindrome Syndrome etc.

I found Escape Simulator (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1435790/Escape_Simulator/) a perfectly pleasant way to spend few hours puzzling. It’s also relatively inexpensive (even with the DLC). I played it on my Steam Deck solo so I can’t talk about the multiplayer features. All round an enjoyable set of escape room type puzzles - not too difficult for the most part but good fun.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Escape Simulator is the best, yea, it has a huge community in the workshop, tons of user-made escape rooms with entire narratives and everything

and Pine Studios tends to do free updates every few months too, in addition to the paid DLC

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

I really like the Cube Escape series by Rusty Lake. Lots of dream logic and Twin Peaks-esque surrealism. I don't think they ever finished it though, sadly.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They gave away Escape Academy on Epic a while back and I enjoyed it enough that I bought the DLC for it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

The Zero Escape series

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

They're 2 player only but We Were Here Together and We Were Here Forever are really good.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

If you liked the Room series, House of da Vinci is extremely similar.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Whybird posted:

I really like the Cube Escape series by Rusty Lake. Lots of dream logic and Twin Peaks-esque surrealism. I don't think they ever finished it though, sadly.

Time for a Rusty Lake effort-post!

Dale Vandermeer's story finished with Cube Escape: Paradox, but the studio is continuing the universe going forward. Underground Blossom just came out in late 2023, and it's about Laura. So the series is continuing, just not under the Cube Escape name, and we may not see Dale again.

If anyone wants to dive into the Cube Escape/Rusty Lake universe, the mainline games in order from oldest to newest are:

Samsara Room (free!)
Cube Escape Collection (contains the first nine Cube Escape games)
Rusty Lake Hotel
Rusty Lake: Roots (my favorite!)
Rusty Lake Paradise
Cube Escape: Paradox
Underground Blossom

The release dates are a bit out of order on Steam, because Samsara Room was remastered and updated with a new story to fit the universe, and Cube Escape Collection was released after some of the early Rusty Lake games. Fortunately, you don't really have to play them in order. I did the Rusty Lake games first, then went back to Cube Escape, and the stories are standalone enough to follow.

There are also two other "side" games in the series. The Past Within is an excellent co-op game set in the Rusty Lake universe, and The White Door is a Rusty Lake game made by another developer which I'm kind of lukewarm on.

And apparently the studio is now working on a pen-and-paper escape room? So... There's that.

The Rusty Lake games are great. The earlier ones have some rough edges and occasionally janky UI, but it's part of the charm.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 28, 2024

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I haven't gotten to try it yet, but Epigraph sounds like an excellent language-dechiphering puzzle at around 10 hours. It's also $3 US.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

dirby posted:

I haven't gotten to try it yet, but Epigraph sounds like an excellent language-dechiphering puzzle at around 10 hours. It's also $3 US.

It's from the maker of Cypher so it's absolutely merciless- no indication of any part of any solution being correct. Additionally both it and the other game in the trio pack, Alchemia, clearly will benefit from linguistics training and a lot of googling - the friendliest starting point for it involves translating some flavor of authentic cuneiform.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 29, 2024

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

WhiteHowler posted:

Time for a Rusty Lake effort-post!

Dale Vandermeer's story finished with Cube Escape: Paradox, but the studio is continuing the universe going forward. Underground Blossom just came out in late 2023, and it's about Laura. So the series is continuing, just not under the Cube Escape name, and we may not see Dale again.

This is brilliant news! I got to the end of Cube Escape: Collection and assumed that was all there was, thank you so much for sharing this!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

dirby posted:

This is really cool but also really hard, haha. I'll have to dedicate a whole weekend to trying to figure this out.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Whybird posted:

This is brilliant news! I got to the end of Cube Escape: Collection and assumed that was all there was, thank you so much for sharing this!

Cube Escape: Paradox is NOT included in the Cube Escape Collection, so there's one more game with Dale you probably haven't played! It wraps things up pretty well.

All of the games are set in the same universe, but Underground Blossom ties everything together. I definitely recommend playing at least Rusty Lake: Roots first though. It explains the entire Vanderboom family's hosed-up deal.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

dirby posted:

Have you solved it? I'm 95% certain I got the correct solution, but I can't get anything to happen. There are some sticking points that make it hard to solve with too many possible ways to write things - whether the words are written from the center or from the outside, whether one of the words should be in the Nari or Shori dialect, one ambiguous digit can either be 2 or 3, and whether numbers are written from the center or from the outside

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oh neat Epigraph is by Matthew Brown (Hexcells, Cipher)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
From the chat thread

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all
I’m programming/co-deisgning the Roottrees are Dead remaster with superrodan in case anyone has any questions! We have a ton of enhancements in store for the game. The cool thing is the base game was already great so everything from here is just gravy :)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Are all potential answers still in going to be selectable through a single dropdown menu? That irritated me so much I stopped playing 20 minutes in.

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

That is one of the top user interface issues that will be fixed. The current one is too small so scrolling is a pain. At the very least it’ll be a much larger box with easier scrolling, but also the ability to type to filter names easily.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
May I humbly suggest a drag-and-drop UI like Case of the Golden Idol instead.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Evil Trout posted:

That is one of the top user interface issues that will be fixed. The current one is too small so scrolling is a pain. At the very least it’ll be a much larger box with easier scrolling, but also the ability to type to filter names easily.

You should add a hard mode where it's all just free text. No more deducting people's marriage or parentage from their last names!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver posted:

May I humbly suggest a drag-and-drop UI like Case of the Golden Idol instead.

Or you click a slot and a menu with all the names opens up and you can click the one you want, like in Tim Sheinman's Family.

Anything but a dropdown menu with ~50 items on it, basically. Like, respectfully, come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

Trust me, that part of the user interface is going to be a lot better! We’re working hard on it.