Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

mortons stork posted:

That cut mechanic sounds like it was for the best to be honest. Like, already it's pretty uncomfortable what you do, but leaving behind a trail of probably horribly traumatized and scarred coils you successively shed once they outlive their usefulness, while prolly not even examining what those people went through? Ugh.

Though to be fair even under the slightest scrutiny this whole thing is kind of a moral black hole and I'm stunned that they just casually dropped it in this supposedly deep game without further thought.

I mean, it could possibly have been interesting if you also had an option to help people you were possessing, rather than just like... puppeting them, leave them with something beneficial rather than a bunch of new scars and injuries. Give you some moral/ethical choices and stuff to you know... add anything to the whole possession mechanic beyond it just being a mechanic.

Also the editing work keeps getting better and funnier with every episode. Deeply loving it.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

We take a break from fighting for freedom wherever there's trouble in order to dive slightly deeper into the game's mediocre and probably-better-left-out magic element.

https://twitter.com/davidspackage/status/1411370922754424834?s=20

edit: there's no reward for 'beating' the shooting gallery, by the way. Your completion times simply get recorded with the name of the character you're currently occupying.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 3, 2021

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I finally figured out that the useless oracle dude sounds just about exactly like Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force, right on down to the infuriating smugness

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I did not expect Dead Man Walking scenarios.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I didn't know David Cage got THE Blackstar to do voice over work for Omikron. Wow.

(Secret of Evermore made casting spells by mixing ingredients cool...though you didn't need a bowl. Maybe the bowl IS the problem)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I assume there was supposed to be more to this than what ended up in the final game because, as written, it comes across as completely absurd that anyone would be impressed by your ability to open a door and pick up a bowl. He doesn't even seem to know that you did the ritual. But even if he did? You got the instructions from a book that he owned. It makes no sense at all that no one's ever done this before you got there.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

I should try if it's possible, actually. Most of the time, if you threaten to get too non-linear, the game doesn't let you leave the area and gives you an uninspired reason why.

For instance, I fired up the game today to see if I could get the map and pass from Den's apartment and simply leave without playing Den's transcan tape, which triggers the fight with Tarek. Turns out if you try to go out the door and leave, the game just tells you "I have to do something first."

edit: well, turns out they did think of that. If you leave the jewel lying on the mummy's table and try to leave the temple, the door stays shut and your character goes "I think I've forgotten something."

Incidentally, I'm watching supergreatfriend's LP of this on Youtube and I'm seeing him trigger a lot of dialogue I wasn't even aware of, such as dudes hinting where you might find Anissa or get Den's Sneak repaired.

There's also this rather badass line from Dakobah:

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 4, 2021

Kangra
May 7, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Of course not, that was on the previous album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CXnnjAXG0Q

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

This update's the shortest one I think, and has another secret Dreamers concert at the end.

https://twitter.com/davidspackage/status/1412453332006887424?s=20

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I know I liked at least some of that Bowie album at the time, but... man. Has it just not aged well? Oof.

Also that character that was described with a "yum yum, nice body" was listed as being seventeen years old. Stay classy, Cage.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Wait, so the shops have like... useless ingredients that you can buy, for spells you can't mix, because the other half of the ingredients don't exist in the game? That's comical.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The 90's were a crazy time for experimentation in adventure games and I can't hate on Cage for thinking big. I'm hating on him for being creepy to women.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

Wait, so the shops have like... useless ingredients that you can buy, for spells you can't mix, because the other half of the ingredients don't exist in the game? That's comical.

The magic system, such as it was, appears to have been really gutted, or never got off the ground in the first place. Only one spell that you use repeatedly (reincarnation) and the handful of other spells don't seem to use mana, despite the multitude of mana potions in the game.

I show it really briefly in this video, but the model for the Viscous Slime from the magic store is just kind of a disc with a red plus on it, clearly some placeholder from the development stage.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Well. It's time for the Tetra factory.

The longer you play Omikron, the more it becomes clear they shored up the early content and rushed it out the door.

https://twitter.com/davidspackage/status/1413537533011628033?s=20

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, we've hit the part that nearly got the Super Best Friends to abort their LP. Naturally, because we are ruled by a whimsically cruel God, they managed to get past the bugged area just fine in their new recording session.

There is something a touch...bittersweet, maybe, when we talk about the gameplay in Omikron, since this game is pretty much both the first and last time Quantic Dream put out a game that plays like, well, a video game. Everything they put out after this is essentially an interactive movie with some quick-time events and a few minor adventure game-style object hunts and dialogue trees. I suppose there's something to be said to sticking to your strengths and interests, but it's a bit sad they never tried to explore how to tell stories in an interactive medium and just settled for copying and adapting the mechanics of film instead.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
When I was a kid, FPS games in general didn't scare me... but I was definitely too young at the time to be playing Doom. The gore in that did bother me. I can't remember if I've ever actually completed Doom 1 because of that. (Definitely Doom 2 though.)

Also, man... I have no memory of any of the shooter sections in Omikron beyond the first couple in the game. (Or much of the rest of the game, to be fair, though I know I finished it.) This is maybe an unfair comparison, but all that really needs to be said about the quality of the shooter parts of Omikron is that both Half-Life and Unreal came out a year earlier than it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Kind of interested to hear that I'm not the only kid who had problem with FPS games because they made them nervous.

Also yeah, Omikron would've benefited greatly from not snapping from gameplay type to gameplay type, but instead just keeping it all in the same control scheme, like... Deus Ex, which released barely six months later with considerably less wank involved. Hell, just make it Deus Ex with funny clothes and a possession mechanic and you've already made a pretty playable game.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I was legit terrified of the first person sections in Jurrasic Park for the SNES, I always made my buddy do them.

Playing it more recently the fear was probably over losing a decent run due to the shooter sections being tricky as a kid. No saves made that game brutal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Antistar01 posted:

This is maybe an unfair comparison, but all that really needs to be said about the quality of the shooter parts of Omikron is that both Half-Life and Unreal came out a year earlier than it.

PurpleXVI posted:

Deus Ex, which released barely six months later with considerably less wank involved.
Also, System Shock 2 came out three months before Omikron.

There are games that are bad but you can see that, at the time, no one could have been expected to do better. Omikron is not one of them.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's a lot of clumsy elements to the FPS sections that suggest it was Quantic's designers first time working on one. Like the way the hud elements clip into the environment if you walk into a wall or door, or the fact that your shots hurt you if you're too close to an object.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Well. It's time for the Tetra factory.

Cat vignette best vignette
Please pet the cat as apology for featuring in omikron-related media
e: on second thought, please pet the cat in general

mortons stork fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 10, 2021

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I'd resurrect spell into a cat if I could, tbh

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

davidspackage posted:

There's a lot of clumsy elements to the FPS sections that suggest it was Quantic's designers first time working on one. Like the way the hud elements clip into the environment if you walk into a wall or door, or the fact that your shots hurt you if you're too close to an object.

That just means that the guns are designed for pro fps players in mind, like in Daikatana

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

That just means that the guns are designed for pro fps players in mind, like in Daikatana

I don't think David Cage is gonna make you his bitch with this game.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Next, the nomad soul must mastermind an escape from prison and unmask a traitor!

https://twitter.com/davidspackage/status/1414625396323139588?s=20

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I gotta know, though: What is Bowie singing in that intro snippet? Sounds like "that guy, Ray" :/

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

inscrutable horse posted:

I gotta know, though: What is Bowie singing in that intro snippet? Sounds like "that guy, Ray" :/
You gotta problem with Ray?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

It's from the song "the Dreamers":

black-eyed ravens
they spiral down

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I assumed (since I still don't remember this part of the game) that the solution to getting out of that cell was going to be to possess the body of the guard standing outside. Not... reflecting a weird pacification beam with a convenient dinner plate.

I guess you do end up possessing a guard anyway, but... I don't know, it feels like using the game's unique body-hopping feature to escape a prison cell would have been more interesting.

And then there's "use acid on hatch" later on, apropos of nothing. Ugh... adventure games.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Ah yes, the part that led to one of the best moments of SBFP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=077PaFpGzls

Boy, this game is just riddled with the most obtuse adventure game logic bullshit, married to genuinely unintuitive map design and the necessity for a journal because it's so easy to forget what you were doing before. It's pretty much designed to provoke a screaming match even for a playthrough not designed for public consumption.

There is a part of me that takes my hat off to David Cage's ambition, but everything else about him and his creations makes me put that hat right back on again.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

And here I was expecting some sort of cool prison escape sequence. Fool me for thinking Cage wouldn't gently caress something up for once.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
If you tell the guard who asks for your orders "yeah, I have them." he just goes "oh ok" and lets you through, but it lacks the excellent ball kick.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

davidspackage posted:

It's from the song "the Dreamers":

black-eyed ravens
they spiral down

So... not instructions for part of the game, where you have to possess "that guy, Ray" to advance? :D

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

So... not instructions for part of the game, where you have to possess "that guy, Ray" to advance? :D

Ray 512 is Dav'idkaaj's poetry publisher, you must possess his body and then throw it down a mineshaft to win the game.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

We've finally earned the audience with Boz that Dakobah used like a carrot on a stick to usher us into becoming a terrorist, and gain access to the last of Omikron's districts we'll see, Lahoreh. Also, one last Dreamers concert.

https://twitter.com/davidspackage/status/1415710939144462342?s=20

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That stripper looks like one of those Parasite Eve 2 near-human creatures.

Also cool to see you're exploring Omikron out-of-bounds speedrunning tech. Be sure to show us your world record run!

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 15, 2021

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
While you were talking about the games cut content the thought "Omikron Remake" popped into my mind and I wish it hadn't.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Of course there's a coin-operated stripper dance scene in this David Cage game.

I do remember the bit where you meet David Bowie as Boz, though I'd misremembered and thought he was the incarnation of the Internet, rather than some kind of digital ghost. But no, Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy is the one in which you punch the Internet in the face. (... As far as I recall.)

Fahrenheit was the last Quantic Dream game I played. Never again.

The Dreamers concerts are (relatively speaking) my favourite part of Omikron, I think. It says a lot that completely non-interactive sections of the game are the best part.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

coleman francis posted:

While you were talking about the games cut content the thought "Omikron Remake" popped into my mind and I wish it hadn't.

You could have Deus Ex with body-swapping. It could actually work. You'd need a AAA studio and proper funding and you'd need to start from scratch with a team that has never heard of or played the original and you'd have to keep them isolated from it for the entire development cycle, but it could be done.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Maybe if they had a healthy disdain for the original; kind of like what happened with Thief 2014, which seemed to have been made by people who didn't like or understand the original Thief games.

You'd just have to hope for the opposite outcome: that instead of making good games bad, they'd make a bad game good. :v: